Where do they PARK all the ships

daka

If you do a search, you will see this being discussed all over Cruise Critic. For example, Miami seems already full with ships, and some extra are being docked at Port Canaveral. There a cargo docks available in most ports. Some are reported to be heading to the Bahamas. Some may be left at sea for extended periods. 

Relative to the FL departure ports, they will be at their normally assigned home piers where possible, some are anchored off shore, others are at their private islands, some are in Freeport, Bahamas.  If you go on any of the FL based PTZtv webcams and scroll to the bottom to the Maritime Traffic feed, along with the live feeds you can see where they are currently.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you do a search, you will see this being discussed all over Cruise Critic. For example, Miami seems already full with ships, and some extra are being docked at Port Canaveral. There a cargo docks available in most ports. Some are reported to be heading to the Bahamas. Some may be left at sea for extended periods. 

Unlikely to “be left at sea” — more likely at anchor in outer harbors and roadsteads.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Unlikely to “be left at sea” — more likely at anchor in outer harbors and roadsteads.

Agree - to do otherwise would be a tremendous waste of fuel.  Right now RCI Adventure OTS is anchored off Port Everglades, RCI Rhapsody OTS is off Tampa, and MSC Seaside is off Miami. 

Many others are in the FL ports and locations I referenced in my previous post.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

22 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Currently there are reports that 3 ships are sailing very slowly off the Mexican coast after dropping their pax off i n Mexico.

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Currently there are reports that 3 ships are sailing very slowly off the Mexican coast after dropping their pax off i n Mexico.

I suppose they may still be working out locations for some ships, but it seems very unlikely that they would want to burning fuel while pointlessly underway for a month or so.

• Like 1

Relative to the FL departure ports, they will be at their normally assigned home piers where possible

Not likely ..... cruise terminals are NOT exclusive to one ship.  They will serve multiple ships in a given week.  So three ships working from one terminal can not return to this one terminal to be 'parked'. You suggest each airplane can just return to their home airport and park at the terminal .... NOT!  On the other hand, a cruise ship can't be pushed to a corner of the airport, lights turned off and doors locked.

Some will get pier space but I suspect a cruise-line will secure a pier and then anchor a couple of ships nearby and rotate them around .... anchoring costs 'nothing' but there are issues of waste disposal and water bunkering etc etc ...... (you don't want to 'make water' close to shore .....)

If you look at the Port Everglades ship schedule you already see this happening . . . 

Want to really see what's happening ..... I'm watching the activity at MarineTraffic.com .....

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

The locations of MSC ships:

Divina Anchored off Great Stirrup Cay

Seaside Anchored off Miami

Armonia Underway to Miami

Musica Underway to Recalada Uruguay.

Fantasia Underway to Teneriffe/Spain.

Orchestra Underway to Durban South Africa.

Meraviglia Berthed Miami.

Preziosa Berthed Guadaloupe then headed to Barbados.

Grandiosa Berthed Civittavecchia/Rome

Opera Berthed Genoa/ Hospital ship.

Poesia Underway to Santos Brazil.

Lirica Berthed Dubai.

Sinfonia Underway to Rio De Janeiro Brazil.

Splendida Underway to Suez Canal.

Bellissima Berthed Dubai.

Magnifica Underway Sydney Australia.

Seaview Underway to Santo Brazil.

Source:  post #26 on

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Thank you for this... I read the part about Braemar being allowed to port in Cuba. On the news we heard that British Airways are sending aeroplanes to Cuba on Wednesday to bring the sick and quarantined home. x

• Like 1

According to some friends in Cocoa Beach, FL, there are 7 or 8 ships hanging around Port Canaveral.  There isn't enough dock space for all of them, so they are taking turns going out offshore and docking.  Folks are posting photos on our FB page that show different ships just off the beach.   It's a mix of Disney, Carnival and RCCL ships.   I think they'll be doing this for the month - no place else to really go as the other ports are full; I could only think of maybe one going up to Charleston, but I don't know if that's feasible. 

Canaveral:

4 of 5 regular cruise berths are occupied and a fifth ship in in bound at this time, and anchorage is empty. Cargo piers either empty or have cargo vessel present

Nor' SUN was at a cargo terminal last night but shifted to T-1 this morning when Royal left .... Royal has several ships at anchor near Coco Cay but for today the pier there was empty each time I looked

Marine Traffic shows 4 ships anchored near Great Issac Light,  6 anchored 12 miles west of Little Stirrup / Coco Cay, 3 outside of Freeport and 3 in the harbor (plus one in dry dock)

Miami cruise berths are full plus one at anchor

Tampa 2 of 3 cruise berths occupied, 3 at anchor plus one Nor' at an otherwise empty pier usually used for auto-carriers but presently 'empty'

Disney Castaway Cay is currently unoccupied.

this is what MarineTraffic shows at this time (reflects what AIS is transmitting)

Carnival Ecstasy is docked at her usual place in JAX;  NCL Sky is further upriver at a cargo pier.  NCL Gem is enroute to JAX from NYC; NCL Pearl is coming to JAX from Miami.  Pearl is due Wed. and Gem on Thursday.  EM

• Like 1

On AIS I see that P&O's Aurora is berthed at Southampton's City Terminal (usually used by non-Carnival ships), - she had to turn round from her Northern Lights cruise when Norway shut down.

P&O's Ventura, just returned from a month to the Caribbean and back, is at Carnival's Ocean Terminal.

2 Fred Olsen ships are heading to Rosyth, Edinburgh

The three Cunard ships are at sea, with probably no stops, heading back to Southampton after part of their long or world cruises.

At least one CMV ship, and both Saga ships, are docked near Tilbury, on the river Thames, east of London.

• Like 1

i have a family that is and always is against cruises.  he's telling me that as of 3-17-20, there are 2000 cruise ships that don't have a place to dock.  is that true?  where can i find accurate information about this? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mikevet said:

i have a family that is and always is against cruises.  he's telling me that as of 3-17-20, there are 2000 cruise ships that don't have a place to dock.  is that true?  where can i find accurate information about this? 

Far from  it. There are several threads here discussing where the cruise ships are docking or anchoring.

A little Google searching got me a number of about 325 active cruise ships in the world.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Far from  it. There are several threads here discussing where the cruise ships are docking or anchoring.

A little Google searching got me a number of about 325 active cruise ships in the world.

yes but are there stranded passengers on  board?  i didn't ask my question correctly

10 minutes ago, mikevet said:

yes but are there stranded passengers on  board?  i didn't ask my question correctly

No, not aware of anybody stranded. There are a few ships- don't have an exact number, but I would say it might be a dozen or so... who haven't gotten to the port where they will be dropping of their passengers. But nobody is being held against their will on a ship. In fact, if you look at the Holland America board, their ship on the World Cruise...nobody wants to get off in  Australia. They are demanding to be transported direct from Australia to Ft Lauderdale!

Your family has a very active imagination!!!🤭

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Even if they did want to get off, they wouldn't be allowed to!

Not sure this is true. As of late yesterday, they had an arrangement with the Australia government to get off in Fremantle. Also, last I heard, they have no sick passengers (HAL has not had any coronavirus pax).

Yes, there are people stranded on cruise ships.  Celebrity Eclipse has been denied dockage at Santiago where the cruise was to end,  Instead, they are refueling and supplying at Valpariaso via barge, and will sail on the San Diego.  Those who had booked a B2B will get their full cruise, others get the extra days...

Oceania Marina is also at sea, being denied dockage in Lima where their cruise was to end.  Apparently they will sail to Miami via the Panama Canal but no schedule yet.

I believe Sirena is also having problems.

Phoenix Reisen Amadea is in the Panama Canal now.  I have no idea what her itinerary is/was.    EM