Jump to content

Now Official QV announcement


Recommended Posts

Onboard and Captain has just announced and confirmed that we will still call at Fort Lauderdale but only those who were due to disembark

will be allowed off and as soon as they have refueled and reprovisioned we will depart straight for Southampton. 

 

No one not disembarking will be allowed off.

 

We will not be calling into the Azores.

 

This is a relief for a lot of us not being dumped in America as was one concern and Im sure it was a difficult job to date trying to sort 

the situation especially with the QM and Qe virtually going out of service in teh last few days and cancelling their cruises.

 

Cunard has taken a sensible decision in my opinion, I have a friend on A celebrity ship following a week behind us that has been told they are being dumped in San Diego and they have to get themselves home, they had a further 6 weeks cruise booked in front of them.

 

Well done Cunard on be half of the QV....

 

regards Roscoe

Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems a more pragmatic handling of the situation. While I can very much understand not allowing anyone else to board, it makes much more sense to take those already on board back to their original disembarkation port than marching them off the ship and trying to get them onto flights back. I wonder if in the case of QM2 they are also disembarking staff there and had concerns about being able to cater to passengers for the rest of the voyage? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We should have boarded in Fort Lauderdale. 

How many passengers will be left on board en route to Southampton?

How many days will it take to go straight to Southampton? Surely not eleven days.

 

Surely, if  any US passengers are staying on board to Southampton they would be better disembarking in Fort Lauderdale, rather than experiencing the health screening when they fly back to the US.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoy the rest of your voyage. Like the majority of the QM2 folks, we will fly home from Fremantle today. I will enjoy following along with you on the rest of your trip :)

 

They canceled our voyage just as we had the unbeatable plans for our float your boat entry drawn up.......

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, safarigal said:

Enjoy the rest of your voyage. Like the majority of the QM2 folks, we will fly home from Fremantle today. I will enjoy following along with you on the rest of your trip 🙂

 

They canceled our voyage just as we had the unbeatable plans for our float your boat entry drawn up.......

damn and no word from them about a boat building competition....to be honest the sports team has a bit too be desired...

a lot of americans I know are staying on board and figure they will fly back from the uk but which time things should have settled at the airports ...the scenes from which leave a lot to be desired. 

 

We will still be arriving inSouthampton not he 28th at this stage, this next part of the voyage I was told tonight by a senior officer will be treated as part of the voyage and no different than it was meant to be other than we will miss ponta delgado's. Hopefully that means that we will have the welcome on board party, the senior officers party and the world cruise party as quite a few of us had this part booked separately anyway and of course now half the ship has booked as new cruisers anyway. 

 

The world cruise party tonight was terrific, the caviar was out, no sign of the world cruise cake this year, questions will be asked when I see head chef....

 

I know that the corinthia suite is available, thinking of swopping over to it......

 

the sales office is frantic....they are working really hard. Feeling on board is of relief that the tension has been released and we know what is happening although the crews future is in the air. Fingers crossed that things will work out for everyone involved, Cunard have really done a great job compared to other stories foremother lines I feel.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roscoe39 said:

damn and no word from them about a boat building competition....to be honest the sports team has a bit too be desired...

a lot of americans I know are staying on board and figure they will fly back from the uk but which time things should have settled at the airports ...the scenes from which leave a lot to be desired. 

 

We will still be arriving inSouthampton not he 28th at this stage, this next part of the voyage I was told tonight by a senior officer will be treated as part of the voyage and no different than it was meant to be other than we will miss ponta delgado's. Hopefully that means that we will have the welcome on board party, the senior officers party and the world cruise party as quite a few of us had this part booked separately anyway and of course now half the ship has booked as new cruisers anyway. 

 

The world cruise party tonight was terrific, the caviar was out, no sign of the world cruise cake this year, questions will be asked when I see head chef....

 

I know that the corinthia suite is available, thinking of swopping over to it......

 

the sales office is frantic....they are working really hard. Feeling on board is of relief that the tension has been released and we know what is happening although the crews future is in the air. Fingers crossed that things will work out for everyone involved, Cunard have really done a great job compared to other stories foremother lines I feel.

 

 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but President Trump has banned flights from the UK and Ireland from Sunday.  (He had already banned flights from Schengen countries of Europe.)  Airlines are greatly reducing the number of flights, and mothballing planes, etc.  

US passengers on board should try to arrange to disembark in Fort Lauderdale.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but President Trump has banned flights from the UK and Ireland from Sunday.  (He had already banned flights from Schengen countries of Europe.)  Airlines are greatly reducing the number of flights, and mothballing planes, etc.  

US passengers on board should try to arrange to disembark in Fort Lauderdale.  



Deffo - I agree - 
 - US pax should seriously think of getting off in FLL and NOT to continue to the UK with the idea they will be able to get back home - Cunard should strongly advise that to them - Both ends of air travel between UK and US are descending into chaos.
Anyone who thinks this is going to improve or settle soon is deluded sorry.

Edited by rog747
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, rog747 said:



Deffo - I agree - 
 - US pax should seriously think of getting off in FLL and NOT to continue to the UK with the idea they will be able to get back home - Cunard should strongly advise that to them - Both ends of air travel between UK and US are descending into chaos.
Anyone who thinks this is going to improve or settle soon is deluded sorry.

Agree.  Cunard has a duty of care for its passengers to ensure all US passengers disembark in Fort Lauderdale.  If they disembark in the UK, they run the very real risk of not being able to return to the US, for some time.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you get to Southampton.  I wish that had been available for us, but only those medically unable to fly were permitted to continue to Southampton.  I suppose the difference must be the length of the voyage and arrival in 10 days is more predictable than arrival in 25 days.

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but President Trump has banned flights from the UK and Ireland from Sunday.  (He had already banned flights from Schengen countries of Europe.)  Airlines are greatly reducing the number of flights, and mothballing planes, etc.  

US passengers on board should try to arrange to disembark in Fort Lauderdale.  

already aware of that thanks, they made us all aware of that before decisions were made.

 

From all account of what has been happening at US airports most passengers who were able to make that decision based it on that the immigration procedures should have settled down by then...we are talking about america..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Roscoe,

I just checked the U.S. Dept. of State web site and it appears that U.S. citizens are being allowed to fly back to the States through specific airports such as Chicago and New York. The web site gives the details. Of course this is a very fluid situation.

 

Best of luck

Jack

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad things are going well for you on board. We on the other hand have missed our long looked forward to cruise. We are now having to battle to get a refund as they have only offered future cruise credit. As this is basically a one of a kind cruise ( not offered very often) we are going to find it difficult to re-book this itinerary again and who knows what price it  will be if we can. I feel we should have a full refund.

As to the US citizens getting home from UK.  Good luck. The policy right now is that you will be allowed to return but will there be any flights available? Also the flight has to go to specific airports only. This will probably be a nightmare to deal with and you could get stranded. Please rethink your decision to stay on board tomorrow....  Good Luck.

Edited by gmjc2
Link to post
Share on other sites

gmjc2 is right, things can change in a minute. Out of curiosity I just went to the Flightradar24 web sight and there are currently 30+ passenger flights in the air right now that are coming from Europe/UK to the U.S. That is a bit surprising to me. 

 

Jack

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do hope this BBC article from earlier today is incorrect.

 

Coronavirus: Cunard ends its three world cruises

 

First, I think we can all agree that Cunard is not currently doing three world cruises, so that's incorrect just on the face of it. But here's a quote from the article I presume is also incorrect, indicating Queen Victoria will be sailing back to Southampton from Florida empty.

 

"Cunard has ended its three round-the-world voyages in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Passengers from its three ships are being flown home and the ships will sail back to Southampton empty.

Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth are sailing back from Australia, and Queen Victoria will return from Florida."

Link to post
Share on other sites

The national nightly news in America reported that the lines for COVID 19 screening for Americans returning home from overseas at U.S. airports were for over four hours in length. Good luck to those American QV passengers who wish to continue their cruise to Soton. They also might be returning to states that have mandated that bars and restaurants are only allowed carry out service or home delivery and not table service. It's not getting any better here folks. Also they might want to pinch a roll or two of toilet paper from Cunard to take home with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

hi just an update that will be announced onboard later, we are arriving in southampton on the 26th, we can stay onboard till the 27 and then disembark.

 

I think we onboard got off lightly.

 

Thos getting off in hamburg will now be flown there instead of getting the ship there.

 

Thankyou for your concern, staying on board is the best decision for me, I can get home to NZ easier from England than America, al my travel plans are still in place and I have good insurance which will kick in if I need it.

 

I have updated the blog, please remember that I write  a bit tongue in cheek and it is not intended to be disrespectful. We are in an an interesting time and for me, this has just been part of the adventure, I am aware that some people have had a rough time and are disappointed by what has happened and I hope that they all get home safely and all intact. 

 

Best wishes to everyone, I have booked for next year, I wanted to show support for the Ship her crew and Cunard.

 

here's to the next cruise.

 

Roscoe

Link to post
Share on other sites

Roscoe,

Just curious if you are still going to be allowed to stay on the QV and sail back to Southampton? It is not clear from the Cunard site and media outlets if this actually going to happen. Thanks so much for taking the time to share the situation with the rest of us who are following along.

 

Jack

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, canoncruiser said:

Do I understand that QM2 is sailing empty from Fremantle to Southampton/ or is she carryingPAX who were booked through to the UK?🤔

 

My understanding is that QM2 is sailing mostly empty. Passengers with medical issues that precluded them from flying were allowed to remain on board for the trip to Southampton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

 

My understanding is that QM2 is sailing mostly empty. Passengers with medical issues that precluded them from flying were allowed to remain on board for the trip to Southampton.

Correct.  Reported to be less than 100 crew, which suggests VERY few passengers.

Sailing as a merchant ship rather than a cruise ship, probably treated differently from QV because QV will arrive much earlier.

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...