Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just saw this, does this mean cruising will be shut down until mid May? Obviously lots can change over the next week, two, or even three for the good or bad. Obviously pure speculation but any thoughts? 
 

Therefore, CDC, in accordance with its guidance for large events and mass gatherings, recommends that for the next 8 weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope they go ahead and cancel my cruise at the end of April.  I don't want to be held in limbo wondering if there will be health restrictions that I may not find out about until we are heading to the port.  I would rather just reschedule for sometime around September.  It seems like with these new guidelines, the cruise ships may have to extend the cancellations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stick93 said:

This is not promising 

No. But I think it's a lot more realistic than thinking everything will revert to normal in 2 of 3 weeks. Look at the countries that have already been hard hit. China still hasn't lifted it's restrictions (that I've heard) and they've been dealing with this for over 2 months now. North America is still in the very early stages of this pandemic. Think we will be significantly different in our infection rates? Don't delude yourself. The curve may be flatter, but that won't shorten the length of closures.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mom says said:

No. But I think it's a lot more realistic than thinking everything will revert to normal in 2 of 3 weeks. Look at the countries that have already been hard hit. China still hasn't lifted it's restrictions (that I've heard) and they've been dealing with this for over 2 months now. North America is still in the very early stages of this pandemic. Think we will be significantly different in our infection rates? Don't delude yourself. The curve may be flatter, but that won't shorten the length of closures.

 

Hi

 

I couldn't agree more. As movement is restricted, more and more business large and small are going to close. Not just for a two week (or so) shutdown, but until they see the prospect of being able to make a profit again. Once restrictions on movement are more in place only essential business will likely be operating. 

 

Just look at what the Chinese did, they literally shut down a city of 10 million and while they say the virus seems to be getting under control, they are not out of the woods yet and this has been more than two months. 

 

Cruise lines are not what anyone would consider an essential industry and they understand that. They have to be able to operate when this is all over. They cannot afford to continually have passengers and crew stranded at sea because of uncertainty. I believe they will sooner than later, whether they like it or not, completely close up shop for a period of time that is unknown. Clearly, a 2-3-4 week shutdown will not be sufficient. They will not be able to restart operations if there is any uncertainty. They will only be able to restart operations if they are financially able. This will likely be devastating to most of their employees, because they will need to be laid off indefinitely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t forget - China is a communist country and can impose anything it wants on its citizens. They may have been able to deal with the crisis better as they could kick down a city. We may not have that (which is good as we are a free specialty) but could prolong this. Our curve may not be as flat. 
 

I am not praising China - just stating what may be a difference between us as countries. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

 

Hi

 

I couldn't agree more. As movement is restricted, more and more business large and small are going to close. Not just for a two week (or so) shutdown, but until they see the prospect of being able to make a profit again. 

For a lot of small business, they won’t be reopening ever.  Many won’t survive 8 weeks of no revenue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

For a lot of small business, they won’t be reopening ever.  Many won’t survive 8 weeks of no revenue.

Exactly and even larger companies are going to have to trim their workforces which will disproportionately affect younger workers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Coopdog08 said:

Just saw this, does this mean cruising will be shut down until mid May? Obviously lots can change over the next week, two, or even three for the good or bad. Obviously pure speculation but any thoughts? 
 

Therefore, CDC, in accordance with its guidance for large events and mass gatherings, recommends that for the next 8 weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.

Read the rest of it.

 

This recommendation does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses. This recommendation is made in an attempt to reduce introduction of the virus into new communities and to slow the spread of infection in communities already affected by the virus.  This recommendation is not intended to supersede the advice of local public health officials.

 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/large-events/mass-gatherings-ready-for-covid-19.html

 

Cruise lines are businesses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Read the rest of it.

 

This recommendation does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses. This recommendation is made in an attempt to reduce introduction of the virus into new communities and to slow the spread of infection in communities already affected by the virus.  This recommendation is not intended to supersede the advice of local public health officials.

 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/large-events/mass-gatherings-ready-for-covid-19.html

 

Cruise lines are businesses.

 

I don't know what's going on where you live but for us schools, restaurants, and bars are all shut down. Colleges are mostly all closed for the rest of the semester. Schools have a mandatory 3 week closure and likely will not restart this semester. Whether or not that was the CDC's intent, it's certainly been interpreted as applying to schools and businesses by government officials. Hence why Trump asked the cruise lines to close down for now. I suspect that the 30 days will turn into 60.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion only.

They have to totally shut down to protect ourselves from ourselves.

Yes, me included. I was supposed to go to LA for work. I work in the healthcare field at hospitals and clinics. I was still going until the business stopped me. My wife and daughter were still planning to cruise this week until the business stopped them.

All 3 of us had no business traveling, but we were still going because "it's not going to happen to us" mentality.

 

That mentality is the entire problem right now. We must hunker down in place to stop the spread. Yes, even if you're stuck in some place that is infected. A few may have to be sacrificed for the benefit of thousands as harsh as it sounds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

 

I don't know what's going on where you live but for us schools, restaurants, and bars are all shut down. Colleges are mostly all closed for the rest of the semester. Schools have a mandatory 3 week closure and likely will not restart this semester. Whether or not that was the CDC's intent, it's certainly been interpreted as applying to schools and businesses by government officials. Hence why Trump asked the cruise lines to close down for now. I suspect that the 30 days will turn into 60.

 

Hi

 

Same here. Schools, day cares, municipal recreational facilities, theaters, casinos, are all closing and people leaving the country for any length of time are being asked to self quarantine. While individual businesses are not being made to close, if they can't find a way to continue operation and be profitable they will close because if you have an open business and no customers, they won't be able to ride this out. 

 

That's why governments are looking at how they can help the economy, but we have all seen in the past how the bigger the company the more likely they are to receive the aid. Help will likely mainly flow to those companies and industries which are considered essential. Most companies/businesses don't fall into that category. Certainly not the cruise lines. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, klfrodo said:

My opinion only.

They have to totally shut down to protect ourselves from ourselves.

Yes, me included. I was supposed to go to LA for work. I work in the healthcare field at hospitals and clinics. I was still going until the business stopped me. My wife and daughter were still planning to cruise this week until the business stopped them.

All 3 of us had no business traveling, but we were still going because "it's not going to happen to us" mentality.

 

That mentality is the entire problem right now. We must hunker down in place to stop the spread. Yes, even if you're stuck in some place that is infected. A few may have to be sacrificed for the benefit of thousands as harsh as it sounds.

Thanks a million, trillion, gazillion for saying this. It amazes me that people are traveling. There are a couple of travel sites that I read that, are themselves, discouraging people from traveling at this time. And as far as "it's not going to happen to me," the odds are it isn't. But if I can be part of a movement to flatten that curve then that's reason enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zqvol said:Cruise lines are businesses.


Yep. Businesses that organize “in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

I received this from HAL this morning regarding our cruise in April

 

:
We are closely monitoring the situation with COVID-19 (coronavirus) and our
medical experts are working with global health authorities. For the most-up-
to-date health advisory and list of boarding restrictions, please visit:
Please check this page frequently for updates, and if you or your client are
subject to any of the restrictions, please contact us with proof of travel for
a full refund. All guests will be subject to pre-boarding health reporting and
enhanced screening at check-in. Guest passports will be scanned to verify
compliance. False responses on forms will result in immediate debark at the
next opportunity, and you may face legal consequences. Due to changing events,
it is possible that entry requirements for the countries on your cruise may
change and your itinerary may be modified or some guests may be required to
stay on board. We may change requirements to safeguard our guests and crew
Link to post
Share on other sites

The CDC issued a new warning today according to https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/03/18/just-went-cruise-stay-home-two-weeks-cdc-says/?itid=sf_travel

 

that raises cruising to a Level 3 — “avoid nonessential travel” — status. The agency recommends travelers put off all cruise travel around the world, though it does not give a timeline for when it would be safe to start again.

 

“Stay home for 14 days from the time you disembark, practice social distancing and monitor your health,” the agency said Tuesday. “Social distancing means staying out of crowded places, avoiding group gatherings, and maintaining distance (approximately six feet or two meters) from others when possible.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

We just returned from a cruise March 1st, and thankfully, all of us are fine.  We're booked at the end of May and I'm optimistic at this point that this will last about 2 months.  What is totally boggling my mind is that Cruise Lines are not requiring passports in order to cruise and still allowing birth certificates to be used??? 

 

A birth certificate does not prove you haven't traveled to a restricted Country (basically anywhere now) and me ticking a box on a sheet of paper (referring to their health questioner) saying that I haven't been to any restricted Countries is flimsy proof, at best.

 

Why aren't Cruise Lines putting out statements that they will require passports once they begin sailing again?  That is the ONLY way of tracking where someone has traveled!

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LPCruise4fun said:

We just returned from a cruise March 1st, and thankfully, all of us are fine.  We're booked at the end of May and I'm optimistic at this point that this will last about 2 months.  What is totally boggling my mind is that Cruise Lines are not requiring passports in order to cruise and still allowing birth certificates to be used??? 

 

A birth certificate does not prove you haven't traveled to a restricted Country (basically anywhere now) and me ticking a box on a sheet of paper (referring to their health questioner) saying that I haven't been to any restricted Countries is flimsy proof, at best.

 

Why aren't Cruise Lines putting out statements that they will require passports once they begin sailing again?  That is the ONLY way of tracking where someone has traveled!

Pure speculation......Cruise lines won’t start sailing until after the pandemic has run its course, in other words, there won’t be anymore hotspots/restricted countries.  Also it means most of the cruises are immune, either they resisted the disease during the pandemic or caught it and recovered. But I predict that won’t be for several months.  

 

Also the only ones that are able to us BC are Americans leaving from an American port.  If said person traveled from a restricted area they should have been quarantine before being allowed into the general population.

 

At USA is a month or so from being a major hotspot, so attempting to use a BC is proof you have been to a hotspot.

 

And finally, the system is not designed to stop bio-terrorism, but people from inadvertently spreading the disease.  If some is traveling to Northern Italy on their passport and then using BC to board a cruise ship and lying about travels they are a bioterrorist, not someone inadvertently spreading the disease.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LPCruise4fun said:

We just returned from a cruise March 1st, and thankfully, all of us are fine.  We're booked at the end of May and I'm optimistic at this point that this will last about 2 months.  What is totally boggling my mind is that Cruise Lines are not requiring passports in order to cruise and still allowing birth certificates to be used??? 

 

A birth certificate does not prove you haven't traveled to a restricted Country (basically anywhere now) and me ticking a box on a sheet of paper (referring to their health questioner) saying that I haven't been to any restricted Countries is flimsy proof, at best.

 

Why aren't Cruise Lines putting out statements that they will require passports once they begin sailing again?  That is the ONLY way of tracking where someone has traveled!

 

HI

Yes. You truly are being very optimistic in thinking that this will last about 2 months. 

 

Look at China, they were much more restrictive when they shut things down for their citizens and that was more than two months ago. Would you consider traveling to China any time soon? Also, to be clear, you are in a restricted country. Travel in or out of the U.S. is restricted at this time. 

 

Just keep watching the news. Until you see the number of new cases going down instead of up, nothing is under control. Until you see that same number of new cases reach "0", nobody is going to even suggest that maybe the restrictions could be eased. It will be the case that fewer and fewer people would be willing to go on a trip where they are "thankful that they are fine" on return.

 

I do agree with your point about passports, but by the time cruising is again easy to do, the cruise industry won't be interested in putting up any additional barriers to regaining their customers. It would have to be mandated by the government. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2020 at 7:21 AM, mom says said:

No. But I think it's a lot more realistic than thinking everything will revert to normal in 2 of 3 weeks. Look at the countries that have already been hard hit. China still hasn't lifted it's restrictions (that I've heard) and they've been dealing with this for over 2 months now. North America is still in the very early stages of this pandemic. Think we will be significantly different in our infection rates? Don't delude yourself. The curve may be flatter, but that won't shorten the length of closures.

In fact, a flatter curve is a longer time the population is affected. The same number of people are apt to get COVID-19, just fewer at any one time overwhelmed the hospitals and health system.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see  travel industry coming back until at least July.  Some industries may start back up in a limited capacity; but most won't until summer.  I believe everyone in the hospitality industry are taking their cues from the CDC, WHO, and for those who live in the US; we are taking our directions from both the WH and our local gov't.  Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...