Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

11 minutes ago, subaru94 said:

Yep won't be dealing with them again, and they wonder why people start dealing with online agents or directly with cruise lines.

They are in trouble, closing 100 stores in Australia.  Get in quick. Good luck.

The worst of this is that we will be getting more back than we paid due to the exchange rate. Bet the travel agents don't pass that on!

We cancelled a helicopter tour in Alaska. Cost me A$1850 got A$2200 back. So you could be looking at A$1000 difference with a cruise.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Chiliburn,

I am kind of an outsider in this space. Being kinda thick, I didn't realize this "section" was for those from Australia and New Zealand as opposed to those wanting to travel there. Well now that I'm here I find most people are friendly and thoughtful. I hope no one minds that this Canadian sticks around. I guess Rod might mind, but I have ignored him anyway.

We are coming to New Zealand and Australia in January and February 2021 so looking for knowledge from locals.

Cheers

There’s also a ports of call forum for Australia,New Zealand.

Its not as active as this forum but has a lot of information.

Man is this ever off topic but while we are talking about centers of things and flying should I be concerned, we have our flights booked through a center for flying here in Victoria Canada it would be disa ppointing to find an issue with that next year. We booked early to get our choice of bulkhead seats. Those charges haven't showed up on the mastercard account yet 🤔

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

This may be the TA we book through. When we cancelled a P&O cruise for 30th May that we had paid in full, the TA said there would be a cancellation fee of $300 each. They said it would be held on our 'account' with them, with $500 of it available to be used as a credit against a future booking. The other $100 was their administration fee. I quietly and politely negotiated with them and they agreed to just the $100 admin fee. We accepted that.

I am not sure if it is the same TA. Our's is the one we to to 1st when Cruising.😉

They are quite happy to keep our money for us to book another trip with them, however, if we want our refund they will keep $600 for themselves.  I would not have minded $100, however $600 is bit rich when we did not cancel.

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

There’s also a ports of call forum for Australia,New Zealand.

Its not as active as this forum but has a lot of information.

I think I tried that with a question about vintage car tours in Napier didn't get much response. I will try again, hopefully I'll get a better response. Of course our trip is next year so lots of time. The cruise leg is 11 nights from Auckland to Melbourne in Celebrity Eclipse the land portion is in the south of Australia and flying to Sydney from Melbourne with 3 night in Sydney and Fly home from there via Auckland (Air New Zealand)

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think I tried that with a question about vintage car tours in Napier didn't get much response. I will try again, hopefully I'll get a better response. Of course our trip is next year so lots of time. The cruise leg is 11 nights from Auckland to Melbourne in Celebrity Eclipse the land portion is in the south of Australia and flying to Sydney from Melbourne with 3 night in Sydney and Fly home from there via Auckland (Air New Zealand)

That sounds like a good itinerary.

A side trip to queenstown for a couple of days would top it off.

55 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I would wait with booking anything else (or at least the putting down deposits) until this shutdown has sorted itself out. There will be business closures out of all of this and you wouldn't want to start the trip on a bad note.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I would wait with booking anything else (or at least the putting down deposits) until this shutdown has sorted itself out. There will be business closures out of all of this and you wouldn't want to start the trip on a bad note.

Thanks, we have done just that, we have 2 places that are paid for; one was done without our knowledge. I may cancel that one $540.00 CAD I'm still choked over that one, it is in Melbourne. Other things will wait, car rental and flight from Melbourne to Sydney.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Blackduck try googling Events in Napier.  You will find information regarding the Vintage Car club and their activities on the website.  I think they are having their next rally in February 2021.  

When we were there earlier this month some of the cars were lined up on the pier and the owners were taking passengers for trips around Napier.  Not sure what they were charging.  As we were leaving members of the club lined up in 1920 clothes and played jazz music as we sailed away.  It was very emotional.  You will love Napier.

25 minutes ago, Ondine said:

When we were there earlier this month some of the cars were lined up on the pier and the owners were taking passengers for trips around Napier.  Not sure what they were charging.  As we were leaving members of the club lined up in 1920 clothes and played jazz music as we sailed away.  It was very emotional.  You will love Napier.

The vintage cars are usually lined up in Napier and people can go for a ride in them.

44 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The vintage cars are usually lined up in Napier and people can go for a ride in them.

Yep, they sure do. Have been tempted a few times but had other things planned.

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Possibly because only a small percentage of cruisers post here, which reduces the odds of finding someone who has done the vintage car tours. I think they are quite expensive. 

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I booked a trip with them years ago.

we had to fly,a cruise and land tour and fly home.

They booked the return flight a month before we left.

I picked it up after at home.

They said I had signed for it so it was my fault.

I had to pay for another flight.

The same thing happened to us with them about 10 years ago.

I also picked it up after at home.

Luckily for us they had not got us to sign the paperwork. 

Think they were able to change the flights with no penalty for them but had to put us on a different airline and pay for overnight accommodation on the way home.

43 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

The same thing happened to us with them about 10 years ago.

I also picked it up after at home.

Luckily for us they had not got us to sign the paperwork. 

Think they were able to change the flights with no penalty for them but had to put us on a different airline and pay for overnight accommodation on the way home.

You’re lucky, I think it cost us $800.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Shoddy service.

We had a case where a name was wrong for a flight despite supplying the passports, they had no option but to wear it as it was their mistake. 

I’m always warier of a company that advertise a lot.

And it wasn’t me who reported as there’s been a bit of cleaning done.

22 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Man is this ever off topic

Ha ha, the people on this forum are a bit like that and it gets morphed into something completely different, I can’t remember now what it started out to be.

Cheers Carole