Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks  Interesting how they traced how the NZ person got infected. 

WA and Old have each had a number of positive crew members from cargo ships. 

Crew on Cargo ship in WA have 24 infected cases.  It seems to be a growing problem with crew.  If they can't stop infections on cargo ships, how are they going to be sure to stop infections on cruise ships.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Indeed plenty of ways to spend money other than cruising. I have had 5 mini road trips around NSW since June, as soon as Qld and Vic open up I will be motoring north and south.

I think South may be the cooler option, and may well be open sooner than QLD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is not looking promising for a return to cruising sadly.

There are a few offerings on very small ships on in land rivers, short trips but not for us.

We are going to do a short break soon and may do others while we wait out the pandemic.

Wonder what the trigger will be to open the possibility for overseas travel again??

Given how many people holiday overseas forcing people to limit their travel to here means at peak times, places could be crowded with options for accommodation reduced.

Time will tell. 

That is also a factor. We do not mind a road trip at our own pace but finding suitable accommodation can be difficult in some places. 

Plus there seems to be a trend to so called glamping in tents that will not appeal to some. 

The attraction of a cruise was to unpack once and relax or do whatever you wish.

Many of the all inclusive resorts are marketed to families with related activities.

We enjoyed travel away from the heat of summer but this year that will be more challenging. 

10 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

I have today cancelled a South America/Antarctica cruise due to depart Buenos Aires on December 18th.  

I fully expected Princess to have cancelled before todays final payment is due and the fact they want payment for a service they cannot provide speaks volumes about their corporate culture. The customer service agent today tried to convince me the cruise could still go ahead!

I have also taken the opportunity to cancel a 2022 Princess cruise. 

Wow, that's disappointing. Though it's good that you were on the ball to cancel before time and get a refund.

Still a bunch of cruises still able to be booked in December, including here in Australia. Good luck with that.

Just checked and it's actually 3 months since they issued their last round of cancellations for covid, which is why they're so behind. They really should have cancelled these earlier as other cruise lines have done.

10 hours ago, pully8 said:

There are a few offerings on very small ships on in land rivers, short trips but not for us.

We are going to do a short break soon and may do others while we wait out the pandemic.

Wonder what the trigger will be to open the possibility for overseas travel again??

Given how many people holiday overseas forcing people to limit their travel to here means at peak times, places could be crowded with options for accommodation reduced.

Time will tell. 

People are going to have to book in advance for places closer to Capital cities.  We were surprised to discover Bunya Mountains, inland from Brisbane, was booked out when we went to book.  Then I remembered we used to always book ahead.  When we holidayed on the Sunshine Coast off season recently, we booked a return visit when we discovered a vacancy just before the Peak Season, which was all booked out.  Being able to check vacancies and book on line have made booking local travel easy.  

12 hours ago, pully8 said:

Time will tell. 

I think the politicians are nervous about opening up borders, domestically and internationally.   That will stymie cruising as we know it for a couple of years.   With the huge covid numbers continuing in USA and UK for a start, we would be on very dangerous ground allowing those people in to Australia.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

I have today cancelled a South America/Antarctica cruise due to depart Buenos Aires on December 18th.  

I fully expected Princess to have cancelled before todays final payment is due and the fact they want payment for a service they cannot provide speaks volumes about their corporate culture. The customer service agent today tried to convince me the cruise could still go ahead!

I have also taken the opportunity to cancel a 2022 Princess cruise. 

I cancelled HAL 4 Jan 2021 from Fort Lauderdale to South America and Antarctica in April as I knew I would not be able to leave the country. Much discussion about pulling the pin then or waiting for HAL to cancel. I got a full refund as cancellations allowed until Sep. HAL did not cancel the cruise on 22 Sept they postponed it until January 2022 (full payment due 6 Oct). They offered $US250 OBC compensation for this if you did accept the move. The email I saw did not mention anything in the way of refund if this departure did not suit. Glad I didn't wait as I wouldn't want to argue the point about refunds. The deposit was $2000 plus a further $4050 was due in July so we are talking big money here.

41 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

I cancelled HAL 4 Jan 2021 from Fort Lauderdale to South America and Antarctica in April as I knew I would not be able to leave the country. Much discussion about pulling the pin then or waiting for HAL to cancel. I got a full refund as cancellations allowed until Sep. HAL did not cancel the cruise on 22 Sept they postponed it until January 2022 (full payment due 6 Oct). They offered $US250 OBC compensation for this if you did accept the move. The email I saw did not mention anything in the way of refund if this departure did not suit. Glad I didn't wait as I wouldn't want to argue the point about refunds. The deposit was $2000 plus a further $4050 was due in July so we are talking big money here.

Princess are selling 2021-2022 South America with Antarctica on Diamond Princess. 
The prices are 50% dearer than this year. However no option was given to shift at current price.

We were advised to take the refund now.

15 minutes ago, Bowm54 said:

Princess are selling 2021-2022 South America with Antarctica on Diamond Princess. 
The prices are 50% dearer than this year. However no option was given to shift at current price.

We were advised to take the refund now.

At those prices they won't fill their ships.  Crikey in our halycon Princess cruising days, $100 per day per person, twin share in obstructed view cabin was my benchmark, and we did plenty of those, all over the world. Now prices have doubled plus.

Look at the over the top prices on the Coral World Cruise from Sydney in May 2022, like $350 a day pptws, balcony cabin, or $300 per day, outside. No insides left, but they were near $300.  So for a couple, to do the 107 Worldie, looking at $75,000. Before a shore tour and before a drink. 

Edited by NSWP

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

At those prices they won't fill their ships.  Crikey in our halycon Princess cruising days, $100 per day per person, twin share in obstructed view cabin was my benchmark, and we did plenty of those, all over the world. Now prices have doubled plus.

Look at the over the top prices on the Coral World Cruise from Sydney in May 2022, like $300 a day pptws, inside cabin.

We have a benchmark of $100 pp pn for an outside cabin on P&O but haven't been able to get that price on a Princess cruise.

The world cruise has always been more expensive per day than other Princess cruises. Even so, they sell out within days of becoming available.

Maybe it is the unusual itineraries such as South America/Antarctic Peninsula or the WC, that are now priced higher. Other cruises don't seem to be much different in price from a year or so ago. For instance, 13 night cruises from Sydney to NZ are from $1,899 or $1,999 with $150 OBC. The 14 night itinerary from Brisbane is $2,299 but that is usual. Now both itineraries come with $150 OBC so are a tiny bit cheaper than I have seen before COVID.

Edited by Aus Traveller

19 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The world cruise has always been more expensive per day than other Princess cruises. Even so, they sell out within days of becoming available.

I realise that, they can charge big money because they know they will be a sell out.  They could run 3 ships out of Sydney on the Worldies and probably fill them.  I recollect back in 2012, we did a half worldie on P&O UK's Arcadia,  Sydney to Southampton, via Africa -49 days. Cost then on a super sale was around $6000 pptws, for obstructed ocean view cabin.  Worked out about $125 per day.  Demonstrates how prices have shot up.

Still a handful of cabins available on Coral Worldie.

Edited by NSWP

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I realise that, they can charge big money because they know they will be a sell out.  They could run 3 ships out of Sydney on the Worldies and probably fill them.  I recollect back in 2012, we did a half worldie on P&O UK's Arcadia,  Sydney to Southampton, via Africa -49 days. Cost then on a super sale was around $6000 pptws, for obstructed ocean view cabin.  Worked out about $125 per day.  Demonstrates how prices have shot up.

When I did my first cruise overseas to London and return,  I didn't even realise they were half world cruises until I boarded the ships.  That was just the method of transport to get to London.  They both became the benchmark for all future cruises.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But that was a super sale and keep in mind it was eight years ago. I recall that a friend from Brisbane booked on the P&O UK WC with one leg from Bne to UK via the Suez Canal, 19 days in UK, then on another ship to come back to Aus via the Panama. I think they paid around $20,000 + pp for an inside cabin. I think that was also in 2012. I think you met this couple on board.

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When I did my first cruise overseas to London and return,  I didn't even realise they were half world cruises until I boarded the ships.  That was just the method of transport to get to London.  They both became the benchmark for all future cruises.

With the P&O UK and Cunard Worldies, some Brits disembark in Sydney and fly home, thus releasing cabins, that is how we got ours, like a 24 hr sale. Of course, there were a quite a few Aussies got the same deal and some bragged to the Brits doing the full worldie at a big cost as to what a bargain they got. Suffice to say it did cause some resentment on board. Uncle Les shut his mouth.

Anyway, I just checked Princess site again, handful of ocean view and balcony cabins left. For me, travelling solo, for the 107 days, it would be $68,000 for a balcony cabin, that is around $630 per day. !! Eeeeek. !

Edited by NSWP

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

But that was a super sale and keep in mind it was eight years ago. I recall that a friend from Brisbane booked on the P&O UK WC with one leg from Bne to UK via the Suez Canal, 19 days in UK, then on another ship to come back to Aus via the Panama. I think they paid around $20,000 + pp for an inside cabin. I think that was also in 2012. I think you met this couple on board.

Does not ring a bell, our Arcadia half Worldie, Syd-Soton in 2012, went down the bottom way via Africa, not Suez. Great adventure though.

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Anyway, I just checked Princess site again, handful of ocean view and balcony cabins left. For me, travelling solo, for the 107 days, it would be $68,000 for a balcony cabin, that is around $630 per day. !! Eeeeek. !

I am booked on the segments of the WC that interest me most - Dubai to UK, then UK to NYC. I am travelling solo because my husband doesn't want to go. The cost (solo) is $26,200 for 50 nights. I don't want to spend the amount required for a balcony cabin. Although I would enjoy a balcony, I wouldn't sit out there a lot when I will be travelling alone. A lot of the time on sea days, will be spent in other parts of the ship taking part in activities or in the dining room.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

OK. Did you meet Barry and Christine from Brisbane? Maybe it was on another cruise.

Mmmm, have to think, only done 26 cruises, 18 of them on Princess. Perhaps I did meet them, I meet so many nice people on the ships, rarely a bad one.

Edited by NSWP

48 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have a benchmark of $100 pp pn for an outside cabin on P&O but haven't been able to get that price on a Princess cruise.

It can be hard to get an inside cabin for that price these days. Out of 15 cruises, 7 of which were in inside cabins, we've only paid under $100pp per night on three cruises and they were inside cabins:

- Mar 2015 South Pacific on Rhapsody of the Sea. $72.29 - a last minute deal

- Apr 2016 Sydney to Hong Kong on Golden Princess. $96.46.

- Mar 2018 Sydney to Yokohama on Diamond Princess. $96.55

The other four inside cabin cruises have been well over $100:

- Aug 2015 Perth to Sydney on Dawn Princess. $112.86

- Sep 2016 PNG Sydney return on Sun Princess. $119.95

- Aug 2019 Hawaii/Tahiti on Sea Princess $171.11

- Dec 2019 South Pacific on Ruby Princess $105.50

As you can see the popular Hawaii/Tahiti cruise was much more expensive than the others.

Balcony cabins are starting to get very expensive. I paid less on the all inclusive Crystal Symphony Panama Canal cruise in August 2018 than the pp per day fares I have on bookings for the 21/22 season, although some of those are almost all inclusive (drinks package and internet).

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It can be hard to get an inside cabin for that price these days. Out of 15 cruises, 7 of which were in inside cabins, we've only paid under $100pp per night on three cruises and they were inside cabins:

- Mar 2015 South Pacific on Rhapsody of the Sea. $72.29 - a last minute deal

- Apr 2016 Sydney to Hong Kong on Golden Princess. $96.46.

- Mar 2018 Sydney to Yokohama on Diamond Princess. $96.55

The other four inside cabin cruises have been well over $100:

- Aug 2015 Perth to Sydney on Dawn Princess. $112.86

- Sep 2016 PNG Sydney return on Sun Princess. $119.95

- Aug 2019 Hawaii/Tahiti on Sea Princess $171.11

- Dec 2019 South Pacific on Ruby Princess $105.50

As you can see the popular Hawaii/Tahiti cruise was much more expensive than the others.

Balcony cabins are starting to get very expensive. I paid less on the all inclusive Crystal Symphony Panama Canal cruise in August 2018 than the pp per day fares I have on bookings for the 21/22 season, although some of those are almost all inclusive (drinks package and internet).

Thank you for those costings.  I am not surprised that the Hawaii/Tahiti circle cruise was more expensive than the others.  How does that price compare with the one way cruises transPacific from Aus to Hawaii or return?  My favourite cruises are on small ships which cruise to islands  and these are usually more expensive. 

We have occasionally snagged a bargain. Pre-COVID we cruised on P&O, 7 nighter to the islands from Brisbane if we could get an oceanview cabin for $100 pp pn or maybe $105 tops. We were booked on the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in April this year for $3,350pp ($95.71 pp pn). I don't think we will be able to book that itinerary at that price again!

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Thank you for those costings.  I am not surprised that the Hawaii/Tahiti circle cruise was more expensive than the others.  How does that price compare with the one way cruises transPacific from Aus to Hawaii or return?  My favourite cruises are on small ships which cruise to islands  and these are usually more expensive. 

I don't know as I didn't have trans-Pacifics high on my wish list. 

The Round Australia cruises are also much more expensive. We booked to go on Sapphire this year (would have been on her right now 😪) and the fare for an inside cabin, which was about $1000 pp less than the usual fare, worked out at $156.13pp per day. The 2022 fare was $2000 more than that fare ie $1000 more than the usual fare. 

We've chosen a balcony Plus fare for 2022 and the price of that is painful. 

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have occasionally snagged a bargain. Pre-COVID we cruised on P&O, 7 nighter to the islands from Brisbane if we could get an oceanview cabin for $100 pp pn or maybe $105 tops. We were booked on the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in April this year for $3,350pp ($95.71 pp pn). I don't think we will be able to book that itinerary at that price again!

My best bargain was a suite on Carnival Legend for $152.18 pp pn.😊

No, I doubt you'll ever see a price like that on the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise again. That was an excellent deal.