Jump to content

Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I have been speaking to my son today, who as you know is in the industry. They are considering chartering one of the Ponant luxury expedition ships, i.e. Le Boreal and operating it from Hobart, Aussies and Kiwis only on board and going down south in Australian waters, getting into the Australian Antarctic areas. I think there will be quite a bit of interest in such cruises for those who can afford them.  Similar setup to the NZ ones.

Sounds like a winner for destination cruisers.  Ponant has done some cruises in the region. 

One saving towards the cruise fare would be no overseas business class air fares.  Hobart would be a perfect departure port as it is well set up with Antarctica Museums.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds like a winner for destination cruisers.  Ponant has done some cruises in the region. 

One saving towards the cruise fare would be no overseas business class air fares.  Hobart would be a perfect departure port as it is well set up with Antarctica Museums.


Destination cruisers would enjoy a pre/post stay in Hobart. ⛴

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2020 at 11:35 AM, NSWP said:

Makes sense, the Coral is a great ship with plenty of open space, aft viewing areas and a real promenade deck.  We  did Panama Canal on her, a few years ago.  You must have a very benevolent hubby, travelling solo.

 

Uncle Les shut your mouth before you get in trouble again.🤐

He doesn't have to be benevolent to stay home instead of going on a cruise. It is joint money anyway. Instead of spending the money to go, he prefers that I pay (almost) double and he stays at home. I went on a 21 night Antarctic cruise a couple of years ago and he stayed at home. I would prefer it if he came with me, but I don't make a point of it. If he wants to stay home, that is his choice, just as it is my choice to travel. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

He doesn't have to be benevolent to stay home instead of going on a cruise. It is joint money anyway. Instead of spending the money to go, he prefers that I pay (almost) double and he stays at home. I went on a 21 night Antarctic cruise a couple of years ago and he stayed at home. I would prefer it if he came with me, but I don't make a point of it. If he wants to stay home, that is his choice, just as it is my choice to travel. 🙂

You are lucky being able to do that. In 48 yrs of marriage we never went away individually, never wanted to and did not think it right. If the plane crashed or sank we wanted to both go to gowings together. Such is life. I know many women travel on their own, leaving husbands behind, met many on the ships like that, but most seem happy to leave their husbands, i suppose they must have the money to do it. 
 

Anyway end of sermon, each to their own.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

He doesn't have to be benevolent to stay home instead of going on a cruise. It is joint money anyway. Instead of spending the money to go, he prefers that I pay (almost) double and he stays at home. I went on a 21 night Antarctic cruise a couple of years ago and he stayed at home. I would prefer it if he came with me, but I don't make a point of it. If he wants to stay home, that is his choice, just as it is my choice to travel. 🙂

When I cruised to Antarctica, I met a lady who was travelling to Antarctica twice in one year.  She was making a return visit with a relative, when her husband didn't want to travel to Antarctica again.   Everyone was happy with that arrangement.

On my first overseas cruise, I shared a cabin with three other ladies.  One cleaned houses so she could pay to travel overseas every year, whilst her husband went trout fishing.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When I cruised to Antarctica, I met a lady who was travelling to Antarctica twice in one year.  She was making a return visit with a relative, when her husband didn't want to travel to Antarctica again.   Everyone was happy with that arrangement.

On my first overseas cruise, I shared a cabin with three other ladies.  One cleaned houses so she could pay to travel overseas every year, whilst her husband went trout fishing.   

In my many years of cruising (since 1983) I have met other married women who cruise either alone or with a friend.

 

For probably twenty years I occasionally mentioned that I would like to go on a cruise to Antarctica. My husband always said that he wasn't interested and that anyway, I would get seasick! A couple of years ago I looked at it seriously and once again, he wasn't interested, but I was surprised when he said "Why don't you go." I didn't need his 'permission', but I hadn't thought about going without him. I went and really enjoyed the trip.

 

Last year my husband said he had decided he wouldn't do any more cruising, except maybe an occasional seven-day cruise to Vila. This was stated as a fact - no discussion or asking my feelings about it. I commented that I still want to go to more interesting destinations and that I am not prepared to give up travelling. Of course, we all know what happened to cruising this year!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some positive ideas around sailing from Australian ports with locals.

There would be a market and a lot of pent up demand.

No issue with excursions built into the fare, albeit cost, crowding if all travel to the same place at the same time?

Plus sometimes the ship and service is the attraction rather than seeking port intensive cruises.

Some cruises like river cruises and regent already have included excursions in the fares.

Some do prefer to do their own thing at their pace but a compromise would be possible.

We dislike being herded about but some organised excursions are done well without that happening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pully8 said:

 

We dislike being herded about but some organised excursions are done well without that happening. 

As an independent traveller, I've always avoided organised excursions of any kind.  However, on my last cruise, I learnt well done organised excursions could really enhance a cruise.  One advantage of small ship cruising, you don't feel like you are being herded around.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few announcements this morning 

https://www.pocruises.com.au/news-centre/notices-advisories

At P&O Cruises Australia the health, safety and well-being of our guests, our loyal crew and the communities we visit is our top priority. As we continue to take guidance from international & local government authorities, public health experts and the broader community, we have extended our temporary pause in operations to 8 January 2021.

P&O Cruises Australia has also announced that Pacific Adventure™ is scheduled to join the fleet on 30 April 2021. In addition, we are thrilled that the planned arrival of Pacific Encounter has been brought forward to 7 May 2021, however additional voyages may be added even earlier, depending on the timing of the return of cruising in Australia.

Unfortunately, with the delay in arrival of Pacific Adventure and the departure of Pacific Aria and Pacific Dawn from the P&O Cruises Australia fleet, the following departures are impacted.

 

And from Royal Caribbean a change in ship homeports Australia 2021/22

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/plan-a-cruise/itinerary-updates?fbclid=IwAR2NfWxDkFWD-nKuhhBN4Ld-GqfJ9Wo28z9acJh3CJmuPVeWA5n8o1gZVo4

 

Get ready for our boldest line-up ever. From October 2021 not one, but two state-of-the-art Quantum Class ships make Australia their summer home. Action-packed Ovation of the Seas sails from Sydney whilst sister-ship Quantum of the Seas sails out of Brisbane, offering jaw-dropping holidays from Queensland for the first time ever. And rounding off our bold summer line-up, sun-filled favourite Serenade of the Seas sails from Sydney.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Just cannot see anyone except P&O sailing here prior to summer cruise season next year

 

I tend to agree with you Mic. As an outsider looking in I don't think the cruise lines that don't maintain a presence in Oz (pretty much everyone but P&O Australia will be sending ships down there. Celebrity has already cancelled the whole spring/summer 2020-2021 season. I think the ships will start showing up about this time next year. That is assuming fortress Australia lowers the draw bridge. 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess and Carnival also had ships all year round in Australia, although in recent years there was only one Princess ship, Sea  Princess, and she did the big cruises - the two Hawaii/Tahiti cruises with the world cruise sandwiched in between.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
Link to post
Share on other sites

Used a cruise credit to have a cruise on Quantum out of Sydney, now I don't know what will happen to it. transferred to serenade, refunded, extra credit, having to do the cruise out of Brisbane, who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Used a cruise credit to have a cruise on Quantum out of Sydney, now I don't know what will happen to it. transferred to serenade, refunded, extra credit, having to do the cruise out of Brisbane, who knows?

I think you will get a email that it will be transfered to serenade or you have the option to cancel.

But if you cancel you’ll find everything else has gone up heaps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think you will get a email that it will be transfered to serenade or you have the option to cancel.

But if you cancel you’ll find everything else has gone up heaps.

I may well take the money in full.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to be a party-pooper but I cannot foresee any kind of normality in the cruising industry before mid-year 2021. I give two reasons-

 - if anything the world-wide Covid19 virus is breaking new records for numbers right now -this will take months before the numbers go down significantly.

 - assuming the current front-runner vaccines are pushed out internationally I cannot see prospects of this until earliest the first quarter of next year. 

 Even then I would say we will not be visiting all of the ports that are currently being offered in itineraries until those countries deem it safe to allow access to cruise ships. Any thoughts....? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Oulton Jim said:

Hate to be a party-pooper but I cannot foresee any kind of normality in the cruising industry before mid-year 2021. I give two reasons-

 - if anything the world-wide Covid19 virus is breaking new records for numbers right now -this will take months before the numbers go down significantly.

 - assuming the current front-runner vaccines are pushed out internationally I cannot see prospects of this until earliest the first quarter of next year. 

 Even then I would say we will not be visiting all of the ports that are currently being offered in itineraries until those countries deem it safe to allow access to cruise ships. Any thoughts....? 

More like mid 2022, without being called a drama queen. Out of control in uk, europe, usa, like 26,000 positives in uk yesterday. Horrific.

Edited by NSWP
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think there is a possibility of some cruises starting up late 2021 but only in the Aus/NZ/South Pacific region and restricted to locals only.

 

A vaacine would help facilitate this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

We still got Ovation,same girl just a different name.

 

Yeah, not really. They're the same class but there are subtle differences onboard - more extras on Quantum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...