Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

On 10/22/2020 at 6:14 PM, Oulton Jim said:

Is that because you have no faith in a vaccine programme being up and running in the first half of 2021?

Yes.  I'm hoping for second half of 2021, which would make 2022 cruising more feasible.  It takes time for vaccines to go through the full approval process, then it takes time to vaccinate a population.  

48 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

$25 for a test.  To be paid for by the passenger or cruise company? Just include it in the fare? 🤔

Who knows that one?
But it’s just a small part of the big picture really, the fact that they are promoting a Covid Test that doesn’t involve 6” cotton buds up the nostril - I’m totally supportive of 🙄

19 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Who knows that one?
But it’s just a small part of the big picture really, the fact that they are promoting a Covid Test that doesn’t involve 6” cotton buds up the nostril - I’m totally supportive of 🙄

I'm with you on the test, the whole giant swab is just about enough to keep me at home. As far as cost, who cares who pays? Like you said it will be part of the cost of doing business; if we can afford a cruise at a cost of thousands of dollars, specialty dining and a few trinkets to bring home we can afford the cost of the test, if $25.00 is the difference between holiday and not paying the mortgage, I guess we can't afford the holiday. Of course the cruise lines could find a way to make a buck on it by including it in the cost of the fare (at an invisible and inflated price)

Edited by Blackduck59

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm with you on the test, the whole giant swab is just about enough to keep me at home. As far as cost, who cares who pays? Like you said it will be part of the cost of doing business; if you can afford a cruise at a cost of thousands of dollars, specialty dining and a few trinkets to bring home we can afford the cost of the test, if $25.00 is the difference between holiday and not paying the mortgage, I guess we can't afford the holiday. Of course the cruise lines could find a way to make a buck on it by including it in the cost of the fare (at an invisible and inflated price)

Agree - placing all our hopes on the vaccines seems to be over reaching. So, as always - the solutions begin to roll in 👍

Now - we, the people, just need to be able to access these solutions 😉

Edited by Porky55

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm with you on the test, the whole giant swab is just about enough to keep me at home. As far as cost, who cares who pays? Like you said it will be part of the cost of doing business; if we can afford a cruise at a cost of thousands of dollars, specialty dining and a few trinkets to bring home we can afford the cost of the test, if $25.00 is the difference between holiday and not paying the mortgage, I guess we can't afford the holiday. Of course the cruise lines could find a way to make a buck on it by including it in the cost of the fare (at an invisible and inflated price)

They add visa fees and port charges/taxes to the fare, so a Covid test fee of $25 is a non event, I would partake.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

They add visa fees and port charges/taxes to the fare, so a Covid test fee of $25 is a non event, I would partake.

One that actually works, with quick results, is all we really require to begin to open the World up again. Bring it on I say.

And please, keep the Pollies out of it they wrecked 2020.

6 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

A bit harsh IMHO. They were following solid medical advice. Not like some countries. 🤔

Apologies - was tongue in cheek but there is no Emoji for that.
And I meant more so in regard to: how long it takes / who / when / where / why and with whom. The more bakers in the mix, the longer the final results take to appear. 

Edited by Porky55

The rapid test could open another can of worms.  I remember reading about (I think it was in Europe) that one passenger tested positive and everyone on the same shuttle bus was denied boarding whether they were with him or not.    If Nov 2021 goes ahead, we will be driving to the terminal car park and walking to the ship.  Hotel quarantine has to be off the cards too.  Quarantine at home fine.  If test results are an issue we would probably even stay home the 14 days before the cruise. 

22 minutes ago, Tikibird said:

The rapid test could open another can of worms.  I remember reading about (I think it was in Europe) that one passenger tested positive and everyone on the same shuttle bus was denied boarding whether they were with him or not.    If Nov 2021 goes ahead, we will be driving to the terminal car park and walking to the ship.  Hotel quarantine has to be off the cards too.  Quarantine at home fine.  If test results are an issue we would probably even stay home the 14 days before the cruise. 

I think how we arrive at our embarkation will be an individual choice, just like we currently shop for groceries or go to work each day now.  IMHO we need to take responsibility for ourselves at some point ... .......just saying 🤔

12 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I heard or read somewhere that the Whitehouse was using 15 minute tests for staff. Apparently, the test being used had less than 50% accuracy. We know now how well that went.

Tests don't really stop the spread of COVID19 just let's you know how it is spreading. As Dr Fauci said it is no surprise the president got COVID19 and the evidence why is all on video uploaded online for all future generations to learn how to NOT conduct themselves in a pandemic😂

• Like 3

Not talking about any of these existing tests - it’s about a test that has gone through the University of Technology Science Department and will be developed in conjunction with Alcolizer, a WA firm.
It is a swab test that goes into a testing unit the same as the one the Police currently use for roadside drug tests and the testing unit is mobile. So far testing results have been near perfect (read attached above) and in my humble opinion we need something that works quickly, allows the testers to make immediate decisions, any negative results - don’t cruise.

Alcolizer is currently developing an antigen assay in collaboration with Australian universities. The antigen assay allows direct measurement of the viral load in a subjects saliva within 10 minutes.

C2289D7E-E9A0-4317-B1D6-1BDF8AE8F110.jpeg

Edited by Porky55

I think we all want something that will be easy, cheap and accurate.  So, this thing has some promise.

the next bit is we want something soon.

looking at the image posted, and reading various descriptions, the soon is still a significant question.

They are beginning testing of the strips and the optical technology. As such, it could be months to years to never that it could hit the market.

Strip testing works for some things — although questions about false positives remain.

the optical system works to some extent.

Will the two actually work well together, with sufficient accuracy?  Testing will show us, over time.

50 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I think we all want something that will be easy, cheap and accurate.  So, this thing has some promise.

the next bit is we want something soon.

looking at the image posted, and reading various descriptions, the soon is still a significant question.

They are beginning testing of the strips and the optical technology. As such, it could be months to years to never that it could hit the market.

Strip testing works for some things — although questions about false positives remain.

the optical system works to some extent.

Will the two actually work well together, with sufficient accuracy?  Testing will show us, over time.

You could be right - I really hope you aren’t though. The sooner the better ...

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

With the huge infection numbers coming out of North America and Europe, I cannot envisage cruising as we know it happening until at least mid 2022. 

I am hearing reports that we will have to live it for 3 to 5 years.....and that’s even with a vaccine .

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

With the huge infection numbers coming out of North America and Europe, I cannot envisage cruising as we know it happening until at least mid 2022. 

I can't see why that should be the case, or should I say cruising as we knew it may never happen.

As long as we have our outbreaks under control then cruising should be able to start here next year. The cruise lines to ensure the crew were Covid-free, there may be a requirement for passengers to be vaccinated, passenger numbers may be limited, and other restrictions may be in place.

The main hurdle is our governments' attitudes to cruising. If we can get past that it may not be cruising as we knew it but it will be cruising.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ