Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

11 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Dont really understand how the no mask policy changed anything. 6 of the sick were in the same party. Masks dont stop Covid getting on board. 

It doesn't stop it getting on board, which is where their approach was stupid given they didn't employ quarantine procedures for high risk passengers.

However, masks do reduce transmission. So it may well have reduced the rapid spread onboard. 

In the end, they failed due to a lack of caution, which is frankly astounding given how basic their mistakes were. They only compounded their mistake by not requiring masks.

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

That was bizarre, shut the borders but have 50,000 at a darned football match.

Absolutely agree that it was a very risky move.  Although we have not had any declared covid transmission from the event so far.

Edited by Bowm54

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I agree that the football match was risky. On the other hand, it was stated that with the border controls and records showing where everyone sat, they were minimizing the risks. Still ...... We will soon know if all is OK.

I wonder if Annastasia allowed 50,000 people to attend the State of Origin match for ego reasons - the Maroons would be more likely to win if they had a stadium full of supporters. Whatever, they did win.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree that the football match was risky. On the other hand, it was stated that with the border controls and records showing where everyone sat, they were minimizing the risks. Still ...... We will soon know if all is OK.

I wonder if Annastasia allowed 50,000 people to attend the State of Origin match for ego reasons - the Maroons would be more likely to win if they had a stadium full of supporters. Whatever, they did win.

WA had had similar numbers at a football match.  I think It is OK when there is no virus in the State.  The risks are minimised when everyone is outside in a seat, to assist contact tracing if necessary.  People were meant to wear masks going in and coming out (in crowds) but not when seated watching the game.  I thought masks all the time would have been preferable.  

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The difference: there were votes gained in shutting borders by appearing as the protector. 

No votes gained in being unable to host a football game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

The difference: there were votes gained in shutting borders by appearing as the protector. 

Anyway, the election is done and dusted. 🙂 With the competition that has appeared to be playing out between the girls (Annastasia and Gladys) I think that Annastasia really wanted Queensland to win the State of Origin.

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Whatever the reason I believe it was a good test another week to see if any cases come from the footy.

Cheers Carole

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The mission was to boost fourex gold sales, the Qld national drink.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Anyway, the election is done and dusted. 🙂 With the competition that has appeared to be playing out between the girls (Annastasia and Gladys) I think that Annastasia really wanted Queensland to win the State of Origin.

I demand a recount like Donald wants, NSW was robbed.

• 3 weeks later...

The CLIA continues to push its case to re-open cruising for domestic only cruising. I am seeing similar articles weekly. This is the latest on the ABC website.  Some of the quotes from the article. First the positive, then the negative.

"Queensland is perfectly poised to cash in when the cruise industry resumes business, but with a Federal ban on leisure ships entering Australian waters now extended, the state will have to wait."

"Ultimately it will be up to the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) to decide when cruises return — but when they do, the experience will be significantly different."

"Environmental bodies are less than enthusiastic about the prospect of the industry's return.

Greenpeace Australia Pacific spokesperson Nelli Stevenson says the onus is on large cruise liners, which are generally powered by diesel and gas, to clean up their act. "There are massive, multinational corporations that profit from the love that people have for the ocean while producing an astonishing amount of carbon emissions and waste pollution, which is putting out oceans in danger," she said.

"They're often caught discarding rubbish, fuel and sewage into the ocean and then there is also the deadly issue of ship strikes, where a large ship collides with a whale or dolphin, which is often fatal."

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Those Greenpeace people are radicals, mostly ill informed, they need to get a real job and a haircut. 

Cruise ships these days do not dump their rubbish, sewage etc into the sea.

Unfortunately it does still happen so Greenpeace isn't completely wrong on this case. Just last year Carnival was fined again for doing this. It certainly is a good deterrent that nearly everyone now has a video recording device in their pocket😂 and they have definitely improved over the decades but I think the corporate culture of corner cutting isn't completely erased and we need to keep an eye on cruise lines so they don't revert to the bad old days of cruising 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Unfortunately it does still happen so Greenpeace isn't completely wrong on this case. Just last year Carnival was fined again for doing this. It certainly is a good deterrent that nearly everyone now has a video recording device in their pocket😂 and they have definitely improved over the decades but I think the corporate culture of corner cutting isn't completely erased and we need to keep an eye on cruise lines so they don't revert to the bad old days of cruising 😉

So it still happens dumping at sea, I read about dumping in Alaska.  So these Environmental Officers on the ships are sometimes a bit slack? Only doing what the company tells them to do I suppose.

On 12/12/2020 at 8:56 AM, By The Bay said:

Greenpeace Australia Pacific spokesperson Nelli Stevenson says the onus is on large cruise liners, which are generally powered by diesel and gas, to clean up their act.

Really.... could we go back to coal fired boilers, , what about wooden sailing ships.... or we could go modern and go nuclear,,,,, ( what about chernobyl ? ) ohhh,,, we could get a couple of those tesla batteries and rechange at every port.....       It is good to see they are up to date, but i thought there was only a couple of LNG powered cruise ships

On 12/12/2020 at 9:46 AM, NSWP said:

Those Greenpeace people are radicals, mostly ill informed, they need to get a real job and a haircut. 

Thanks Les, like the bit about get a real job and a haircut. 

Cheers Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Really.... could we go back to coal fired boilers, , what about wooden sailing ships.... or we could go modern and go nuclear,,,,, ( what about chernobyl ? ) ohhh,,, we could get a couple of those tesla batteries and rechange at every port.....       It is good to see they are up to date, but i thought there was only a couple of LNG powered cruise ships

Thanks Les, like the bit about get a real job and a haircut. 

Cheers Don

Cheers Don, I am anti Greenie as you would realise.😁

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

To go away this week used 1.8 tonne of car ( plus, us ,food and wine )  and almost 50 litres of 98 ron for 2 people......    Somebody must use all these resources.....lol

Don

The wine would include 2 dozen bottles of Jacobs Creek Chardonnay? Don.

47 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The wine would include 2 dozen bottles of Jacobs Creek Chardonnay? Don.

Yes there was Jacobs Creek, :-

Riesling,    Reserve Shiraz    , and Reserve Chardonnay Pinot Noir Sparkling 

in suitable numbers, not to ran out.....lol 

As well Large Esky with Food, 

(prawns, tuna , salmon and steak...... cheese, smoked salmon and tuna dip.. 

as well as things as accompany all this

Cheers Don

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Yes there was Jacobs Creek, :-

Riesling,    Reserve Shiraz    , and Reserve Chardonnay Pinot Noir Sparkling 

in suitable numbers, not to ran out.....lol 

As well Large Esky with Food, 

(prawns, tuna , salmon and steak...... cheese, smoked salmon and tuna dip.. 

as well as things as accompany all this

Cheers Don

Livin the Dream, way to go Don.

On 12/12/2020 at 11:50 AM, NSWP said:

So it still happens dumping at sea, I read about dumping in Alaska.  So these Environmental Officers on the ships are sometimes a bit slack? Only doing what the company tells them to do I suppose.

Yes, ships still dump waste into the sea, albeit that it is supposed to be thoroughly processed waste. food for the fishies.

39 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, ships still dump waste into the sea, albeit that it is supposed to be thoroughly processed waste. food for the fishies.

Of course, Princess, RCI etc would deny that, they would say..'We have an Environmental Officer on board.'