Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

On 2/9/2021 at 10:17 AM, Porky55 said:

Mackay is much nicer than people imagine. I would recommend thinking about our Winter for your visit tho, right now we are having 33deg days but it’s the 90% humidity that is the killer. 

I love Mackay.  It has everything, lots of beaches, hinterland (Eungella) and access to tropical islands.  Just remember, to take some winter clothes if you visit in winter, as it can get cold in Mackay.  One winter, we had to shift from a cold two story unit, to a warmer unit on a corner in the sun.

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

One winter, we had to shift from a cold two story unit, to a warmer unit on a corner in the sun.

After living here for 25 years now - having moved from Tassie to Mackay  in ‘92 - I actually live for that one cold week 😂

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

After living here for 25 years now - having moved from Tassie to Mackay  in ‘92 - I actually live for that one cold week 😂

Ha ha.   I must have been there that one cold week!  It was a case of inappropriate clothing.  I have visited Mackay my whole life, usually in summer, when it is hot and humid.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Ha ha.   I must have been there that one cold week!  It was a case of inappropriate clothing.  I have visited Mackay my whole life, usually in summer, when it is hot and humid.  

I have learnt to always pack warm clothes no matter where I go (with the possible exception of Singapore). I've been in Melbourne at Christmas when it was freezing, South Australia in November where it was the coldest November they'd had in years, and WA in November where it was quite cool during the first week we were there. Not to mention NZ where it can be very variable at any time of year. I always pack my very lightweight rain jacket and either a fleece or other layers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, and on the back of that Carnival cancels all cruises here until late June and Spirits' cruises until September.

To be fair, Dan did refer to Aussie coastal cruises.

They have canceled there regular revenue cruises but that doesn’t mean they can’t do trial cruises.

I can’t see the cruise industry in Australia just starting at the flick of a switch.

There’s going to mistakes and it best to make mistakes on a small scale.

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I have learnt to always pack warm clothes no matter where I go (with the possible exception of Singapore). I've been in Melbourne at Christmas when it was freezing, South Australia in November where it was the coldest November they'd had in years, and WA in November where it was quite cool during the first week we were there. Not to mention NZ where it can be very variable at any time of year. I always pack my very lightweight rain jacket and either a fleece or other layers.

Where I am I it's been the coolest summer I can remember. Normally in summer I would sleep without covering bed clothes, sheets etc.. and sometimes with ceiling fan running.  Not this summer, some nights I've even had a light dooner.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 6:17 PM, NSWP said:

Neil, where are you staying? Let me know and i will organise a meet up dinner, trust me with a suitable venue. I can contact you at your digs. We cannot put phone numbers, emails on here. 

Yes clyde river cruise at bb and wagonga cruise at narooma are good. Mogo zoo worth a visit too. Tilba also.

Les, we are staying at Mariners on the Waterfront. Looks to be a good spot.

Look forward to catching up

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, and on the back of that Carnival cancels all cruises here until late June and Spirits' cruises until September.

To be fair, Dan did refer to Aussie coastal cruises.

The two aren't contradictory. What would have been the summer season in normal times is nearly over. Very little cruising takes place over winter. So Carnival is being realistic cancelling those cruises until September. The sensible time for a restart would be at the start of the next summer season.

We have a P&O cruise to the islands booked for 7th August this year. I have felt for many months that this cruise won't go ahead. Yesterday I phoned the TA we booked through and was told that P&O is cancelling this cruise and that they will be in touch with us. Currently their pause only extends to (I think) the end of May, but this might be extended soon.

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The two aren't contradictory. What would have been the summer season in normal times is nearly over. Very little cruising takes place over winter. So Carnival is being realistic cancelling those cruises until September. The sensible time for a restart would be at the start of the next summer season.

Except that the carnival cruises were mainly coastal cruises already for our autumn and winter.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have a P&O cruise to the islands booked for 7th August this year. I have felt for many months that this cruise won't go ahead. Yesterday I phoned the TA we booked through and was told that P&O is cancelling this cruise and that they will be in touch with us. Currently their pause only extends to (I think) the end of May, but this might be extended soon.

I expect it will.

30 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Except that the carnival cruises were mainly coastal cruises already for our autumn and winter.

Yes but it's fairly obvious that will be too soon to restart so not surprising they were cancelled. It's going to take some time to restart the ships themselves, and get Covid-free crews. Hopefully our governments are working towards giving the cruise lines a real indication of when cruising can restart. The constant extensions to the bans must be frustrating for the cruise lines as they are the ones who cop the flak from people who have had their bookings cancelled.

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes but it's fairly obvious that will be too soon to restart so not surprising they were cancelled. It's going to take some time to restart the ships themselves, and get Covid-free crews. Hopefully our governments are working towards giving the cruise lines a real indication of when cruising can restart. The constant extensions to the bans must be frustrating for the cruise lines as they are the ones who cop the flak from people who have had their bookings cancelled.

Canada cancelled the whole Alaska cruising season.  Australia should do something similar instead of cancelling cruising for short periods, then extending.  As you say, frustrating for everyone!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Canada cancelled the whole Alaska cruising season.  Australia should do something similar instead of cancelling cruising for short periods, then extending.  As you say, frustrating for everyone!

I agree. With the vaccine rollout imminent it's time for the governments to look ahead to what could/should/would be possible later this year for domestic cruising, and also make a clear statement about international borders even if it's just "won't open this year". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I agree. With the vaccine rollout imminent it's time for the governments to look ahead to what could/should/would be possible later this year for domestic cruising, and also make a clear statement about international borders even if it's just "won't open this year". 

They sure are sitting on the fence, nervous nellies. Which ever Minister who eventually pushes the 'green button - cruises to go', will be committing political suicide if the cruise ship suffers from a Covid outbreak.

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They sure are sitting on the fence, nervous nellies. Which ever Minister who eventually pushes the 'green button - cruises to go', will be committing political suicide if the cruise ship suffers from a Covid outbreak.

Cruising cannot restart until there is widespread vaccination and obviously vaccination and quarantine of the crew.

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Carnival have said that they are having trouble scheduling dry docks for their ships and mentioned the Spirit being one of them.  Too many ships needing maintenance at the same time.

As for P&O cancelling some cruises, I think they are rescheduling the early cruises planned for the Islands or New Guinea to be Australian itineraries.

Time will tell.  However things are moving even if very slowly.

22 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Carnival have said that they are having trouble scheduling dry docks for their ships and mentioned the Spirit being one of them.  Too many ships needing maintenance at the same time.

As for P&O cancelling some cruises, I think they are rescheduling the early cruises planned for the Islands or New Guinea to be Australian itineraries.

Time will tell.  However things are moving even if very slowly.

If P&O replace our August cruise to Vila/Noumea with a Queensland coastal one, I don't think we will take up the offer - a couple of reasons - even though we are keen to start cruising and will almost just take on on the Brisbane CityCat just to get on the water.