Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

1 minute ago, Porky55 said:

More likely dropping them off - rumour has it that all the cruise lines are decreasing crews for the near future?

I thought they had already done that.

Sri Lanka isn’t a source for senior staff ,mostly cabin crew.

I thought some of the P&O fans might know something.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:03 AM, MMDown Under said:

Canada cancelled the whole Alaska cruising season.  Australia should do something similar instead of cancelling cruising for short periods, then extending.  As you say, frustrating for everyone!

Not quite correct. Canada only closed their borders. Cruise lines and CDC etc caused the stopping of cruising, not forgetting PSVA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe a change-over of crew.

The Carnival Corp ships don't carry many Sri Lankan crew, mostly Fillipinos and Indonesians. Might be just a bit of light maintenance happening and using local, cheap Sri Lankan labour, like $10 per day to carry out the deep cleaning required.

Edited by NSWP

9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Sri Lanka has removed their 2 weeks quarantine for entering the country, makes it a much more convenient stop

Providing much needed income for many employed at the ports and the govt. But at a risk of Covid spreading. Crikey I hope those Sri Lankan workers on the ship are well protected, tested and vaccinated. But I doubt it, third world country. The Covid germs might stay on the ship all the way to this region, yikes.

I suppose it depends on what definition you use but it is now considered a developing country rather than third world. Using the old definition (1950's) of third world would see even the US as being a third world country now due to the % of their population deemed in poverty

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Providing much needed income for many employed at the ports and the govt. But at a risk of Covid spreading. Crikey I hope those Sri Lankan workers on the ship are well protected, tested and vaccinated. But I doubt it, third world country. The Covid germs might stay on the ship all the way to this region, yikes.

On the Diamond Princess, the Japanese authorities detected remnants of the COVID virus in cabins weeks after the occupants had left, but the virus was 'dead'.

• Like 1

An official announce made on FB 15 mins ago.

At P&O Cruises we remain optimistic about the ultimate restart of cruising while in the meantime, we are taking a practical approach in extending our current operational pause to departures on or before 18 June, 2021.

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

At P&O Cruises we remain optimistic about the ultimate restart of cruising while in the meantime, we are taking a practical approach in extending our current operational pause to departures on or before 18 June, 2021.

Thanks for that - 18th June. It will probably be extended another couple of times. I notice that the first Princess cruise in our region is in late October.

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

As for sydney, will the P&O ships fit under the bridge?

If not they will have till wait till July as they are dredging OPT.

13 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

As for sydney, will the P&O ships fit under the bridge?

If not they will have till wait till July as they are dredging OPT.

I don't think P&O will be sailing in Australian waters before July - and that would probably be optimistic. I am still guessing that October is more likely as a start date.

7 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Just got an email with some nice looking short cruises for the end of this year, personally I’m not real confident they’ll go ahead. One looked real good to see if a new chair will make things more comfortable.

We the vaccine schedule to have most Australians vaccinated for September?

You think the coming season could be viable.

48 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Just got an email with some nice looking short cruises for the end of this year, personally I’m not real confident they’ll go ahead. One looked real good to see if a new chair will make things more comfortable.

We have some short cruises booked for the end of the year. If they are cancelled (as I expect our August one to be), we will get a FCC and most times, pax can shift OBC etc forward to a future cruise.

38 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

We the vaccine schedule to have most Australians vaccinated for September?

You think the coming season could be viable.

I have real doubts, now I have been wrong before. My biggest doubt is that our international borders are unlikely to be open and that presents real problems  getting ships and crew in and can the get enough passengers just Aussies.

I’m happy to be wrong, but have serious doubts.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

I have real doubts, now I have been wrong before. My biggest doubt is that our international borders are unlikely to be open and that presents real problems  getting ships and crew in and can the get enough passengers just Aussies.

I do not think the cruise lines will have any problem filling their ships with Aussies. P&O Aust have not marketed their cruises outside Australia/NZ for many years. I think the only way people from other parts of the world have been able to book is if they contact an Aussie TA. On cruises we have been on with P&O in recent years, I don't think there have been any internationals.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

What was that song ,
Your mistakes are the only things you can really call your own.