Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

53 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Are you on Eclipse?  We are booked on the cruise starting after you - Jan 28.  I am concerned because it goes up to French Polynesia, which is not looking the best.  I suppose an itinerary change is a possibility.

Circumnavigation of NZ perhaps?

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Circumnavigation of NZ perhaps?

Sort of, it starts in Auckland then up to Bay of Islands and hops down the East Coast of both Islands and the New Zealand part ends in Milford sound the across to Hobart and ends in Sydney so really no West Coast of New Zealand so no "circumnavigation"

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sort of, it starts in Auckland then up to Bay of Islands and hops down the East Coast of both Islands and the New Zealand part ends in Milford sound the across to Hobart and ends in Sydney so really no West Coast of New Zealand so no "circumnavigation"

You are missing the potentially rough part, around the Bluff where we got  the 12 metre seas after leaving Dunedin on ye olde Regal Princess in 2007. LA to Sydney.

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You are missing the potentially rough part, around the Bluff where we got  the 12 metre seas after leaving Dunedin on ye olde Regal Princess in 2007. LA to Sydney.

If you read Lyall's post, I think you will see that his cruise is planned to go around the southern end of the South Island. Otherwise I don't think they would plan to go into Milford.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

That's the classic NZ run although it doesn't always include the Bay of Islands.

There isn't much up the West Coast. No suitable ports in the South Island, and only New Plymouth in the North Island. It's the wilder side of NZ, most of the bad weather comes from the west. The east coast is the sheltered side which is why most of the ports are there.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's the classic NZ run although it doesn't always include the Bay of Islands.

There isn't much up the West Coast. No suitable ports in the South Island, and only New Plymouth in the North Island. It's the wilder side of NZ, most of the bad weather comes from the west. The east coast is the sheltered side which is why most of the ports are there.

After Dunedin there is nothing.

59 minutes ago, NSWP said:

After Dunedin there is nothing.

Well, there is but not big enough for most modern cruise ships except some of the smaller ones. Pacific Princess was scheduled to stop at Stewart Island on one itinerary which was probably cancelled by Covid.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Well, there is but not big enough for most modern cruise ships except some of the smaller ones. Pacific Princess was scheduled to stop at Stewart Island on one itinerary which was probably cancelled by Covid.

Azamara does a complete circumnavigation and then up to Norfolk and back.  I'd like to do it but it's a bit out of my budget.  I'm hoping it will go on sale at some point.  (Maybe)

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've always wondered what New Plymouth on North Island West Coast was like being off the beaten track. 

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I've always wondered what New Plymouth on North Island West Coast was like being off the beaten track. 

I've never been there but my daughter went recently and enjoyed it.  Supposed to be beautiful when the weather's good but cold in the winter.

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

It's turned into a very nice city with good restaurants and waterfront walking tracks. Pukekura Park is beautiful, especially in rhododendron season, and you can sometimes get great views of Mt Taranaki from there (and other parts of the city). It's a major centre for farming as well as a working port. 

Yes, it can get very cold in winter.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's turned into a very nice city with good restaurants and waterfront walking tracks. Pukekura Park is beautiful, especially in rhododendron season, and you can sometimes get great views of Mt Taranaki from there (and other parts of the city). It's a major centre for farming as well as a working port. 

Yes, it can get very cold in winter.

I always wanted to visit NZ during peak garden season.  When is rhododendron season?

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks  I think they have them in the Blue Mountains.  

Yes, I think they do. The timing of the flowering might be slightly different to New Plymouth though. Possibly a bit earlier.

25 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Yes the expedition ship operators up there are not happy, stand to lose a lot of money with the new govt limitations.

Does not say a lot for the chances of big ship cruising happening soon, not up north anyway. Yes the Federal Govt has got to step in create a national policy, ASAP, instead of sitting on the fence.

Edited by NSWP

That's just crazy. 

Meanwhile river cruuse boats are happily running cruises on the Murray. Admittedly most of those only hold a small.number of passengers but Murray Princess holds over 100 passengers which is similar to the expedition ships. 

FFS when are our governments going to stop the paranoia and realise that cruising can operate safely under Covid protocols.😡

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's just crazy. 

Meanwhile river cruuse boats are happily running cruises on the Murray. Admittedly most of those only hold a small.number of passengers but Murray Princess holds over 100 passengers which is similar to the expedition ships. 

FFS when are our governments going to stop the paranoia and realise that cruising can operate safely under Covid protocols.😡

Julie...I think I told you my son did a few trips to Hobart in recent months trying to get ok from Tas Govt to operate an expedition ship south from Hobart in Australian Waters, no luck.  At least Hobart City Council are giving him a bit of support (He is Director now)  for the Mawsons Hut Foundation - Museum on Hobart Waterfront, waiving rates, water, electricity charges.