Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

4 hours ago, Rassa said:

Hope you are right about starting the cruising.   Didn't know the NZ government was under pressure to open to cruising.  All the very best.

I read an article online on one of the NZ news sites where some of the ports were concerned about not having cruise ships coming through as it was affecting the local economy badly. It was a few months ago, before Delta got stuck into Australia.

4 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I can't see any cruise ships coming here til the 22-23 summer season.  Once vaccination targets are met, I predict a slow and measured border reopening.  Assuming vaccination targets are met by year end, we might get cruise ships by mid-22.  Maybe?

NZ might wait until Australia has operated a few domestic cruises so the 22/23 season is most likely.

Although I can't see why NZ couldn't have one of the P&O ships homeporting there, running cruises up and down the east coast. Allow embarkations at both Auckland and Dunedin and have different ports going each way. 

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NZ might wait until Australia has operated a few domestic cruises so the 22/23 season is most likely.

Although I can't see why NZ couldn't have one of the P&O ships homeporting there, running cruises up and down the east coast. Allow embarkations at both Auckland and Dunedin and have different ports going each way. 

I think it probably is manageable.  I just think that cruising is low on the govt's priority list.  I can't see them even looking at it til vaccination targets are met.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I think it probably is manageable.  I just think that cruising is low on the govt's priority list.  I can't see them even looking at it til vaccination targets are met.  

27 minutes ago, mr walker said:

More votes in Rugby than cruise ships 🙂 

Correct both of you, and why should their priority favour cruising over both the health and the financial stability of the nation?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Correct both of you, and why should their priority favour cruising over both the health and the financial stability of the nation?

Tell that to the people who are struggling because their livelihood depended on cruise ships arriving regularly. 

Cruise lines have proven cruises can operate safely under Covid protocols without endangering the health of the nation they are operating in. A ship operating with fully vaccinated crews and fully vaccinated passengers is no more risky than plane loads of passengers travelling between cities and tourist destinations. If they're worried about cruise ships they should also be worried about places like Queenstown when thousands of people arrive there to ski all day then party hard in the evenings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

My pick is that it stays shut

I would agree with you Mick.   This open and shut scenario is crazy, how can one even plan and book a flight and land travel in NZ from OZ?    Never mind about cruising to and from NZ, that is not going to happen for another year.

Edited by NSWP

29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I would agree with you Mick.   This open and shut scenario is crazy, how can one even plan and book a flight and land travel in NZ from OZ?    Never mind about cruising to and from NZ, that is not going to happen for another year.

Uncle Les, you can't even plan to travel in Australia, especially if you plan to cross state borders.

Clearly cruising of any kind in Australia or NZ will not happen until the 2022-23 season and only if the vaccination rates warrant the Cruise lines deploying their ships there.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Uncle Les, you can't even plan to travel in Australia, especially if you plan to cross state borders.

Clearly cruising of any kind in Australia or NZ will not happen until the 2022-23 season and only if the vaccination rates warrant the Cruise lines deploying their ships there.

Lyle you are right there, I have been doing doughnuts of NSW for the last 18 months, 10 mini road trips and counting, I am doing my bit for the NSW economy.

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Lyle you are right there, I have been doing doughnuts of NSW for the last 18 months, 10 mini road trips and counting, I am doing my bit for the NSW economy.

Good on ya Les. We are doing a bit of a road trip at the end of the month, but we are crossing 2 provincial borders and driving through the fire zone. What could go wrong?🤔😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Good on ya Les. We are doing a bit of a road trip at the end of the month, but we are crossing 2 provincial borders and driving through the fire zone. What could go wrong?🤔😉

Just put the siren on matey.😁

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

My pick is that it stays shut

Oh it will definitely stay shut.  The govt have stated that this border closure is for at LEAST eight weeks.  I am interested to see what the projections are for next year.  I think it will be a bit like your govt's plan but more clear (I hope).

34 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Oh it will definitely stay shut.  The govt have stated that this border closure is for at LEAST eight weeks.  I am interested to see what the projections are for next year.  I think it will be a bit like your govt's plan but more clear (I hope).

It would be impossible for it to be less clear! 🙄🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I am still amazed I managed to get a three week QLD road trip 😂. I literally made it home before the borders started closing down. I look at the differences when I was travelling QLD to now and think quickly it all turned 😳

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I am still amazed I managed to get a three week QLD road trip 😂. I literally made it home before the borders started closing down. I look at the differences when I was travelling QLD to now and think quickly it all turned 😳

I have been trying to get up to Qld for 18 months to see my brother at Nerand, sister at Currumbin and grand daughter who was at Uni in Townsville and now a Vet at D'Agular near Caboolture.  Every time I plan the road trip, SLAM, the doors shut again.

Perhaps a Rugby League Team will offer me a contract and Qld Govt will let me in, I promise not to pass marsh mellows on the hotel balcony like those other clowns.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

We hope to do the same soon, if these restrictions are ever eased. Can't remember going more than 10km or so from home since the trip to Bateman's Bay in March. And I'm not putting many k's on my car!

At least we've had time to do some planning, with staying within NSW the criteria 🙂  Got some routes planned - Fossickers Way, Central West, Riverina, Nth Coast & South Coast again. Motels & local pubs will be the go, and we hope to see some of this silo art that seems to be all the rage at the moment.

Have red car & credit card - ready to travel 🙂 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have been trying to get up to Qld for 18 months to see my brother at Nerand, sister at Currumbin and grand daughter who was at Uni in Townsville and now a Vet at D'Agular near Caboolture.  Every time I plan the road trip, SLAM, the doors shut again.

Perhaps a Rugby League Team will offer me a contract and Qld Govt will let me in, I promise not to pass marsh mellows on the hotel balcony like those other clowns.

That's the problem, Les, you're planning it. You need to do a sneaky departure so the gremlins don't know what you're planning! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I saw some of the press conf with the NSW premier.  She seems to have given up.  A bit of a problem for the neighbouring states I would imagine.

I hope she has not given up like Boris, still 30,000 new cases a day in uk and restrictions just about gone, crazy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

When those borders open again you just have to go go go before they slam again😆. Trips in Australia now are all about jumping in those gaps between lockdowns😁.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, NSWP said:

We're doing our bit too, trying to compensate for the downturn in wine exports to China.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2