Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

13 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Melbourne wear a lot of black, gray and darker colours. You have to prepare for all weathers because even in Summer the temperate can drop 10 degrees in 10 minutes.

Sometimes even drop 15-20 degrees!

I don't understand why there needs to be a travel plan specific to cruising as opposed to an overarching plan for all travel (land, sea, air). Qantas is taking the lead on developing a vaccination passport, wouldn't it be better for all the industry powers to be to band together to come up with a national plan that benefits everyone? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snoopkat said:

wouldn't it be better for all the industry powers to be to band together to come up with a national plan that benefits everyone? 

The only national plan that will matter is one that comes from the Federal government.

This CLIA plan is just tossing a ball in the air to see if the Feds will catch it. Qantas is doing the same.

I don't think we'll see the Feds willing to play until after the next election. 😕

In a fit of optimism (desperation)  I actually started looking online at local (Aus/NZ) cruises for 2023.  The prices seem to have come down since the last time I looked which is positive because they were very expensive.  Does anyone know of any good deals?  The only thing stopping me is the obvious - getting my deposit back if the borders close.

5 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

In a fit of optimism (desperation)  I actually started looking online at local (Aus/NZ) cruises for 2023.  The prices seem to have come down since the last time I looked which is positive because they were very expensive.  Does anyone know of any good deals?  The only thing stopping me is the obvious - getting my deposit back if the borders close.

If you book with Princess and the fare drops after booking Princess will usually honour the fare drop if it's before final payment, as long as there are still cabins available in that category. 

I think RCI have just started doing this as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

There were optimistic souls booking the January 2023 New Zealand cruise on Eclipse. I have no idea of the cost. That adventure isn't even on the stove anymore let alone a back burner.

They are probably pretty safe booking January 2023. If it was January, 2022, I would say that don't have much hope.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If you book with Princess and the fare drops after booking Princess will usually honour the fare drop if it's before final payment, as long as there are still cabins available in that category. 

Why do there need to still be same category cabins available if you're just asking for the price drop, it's not a rebooking is it?

24 minutes ago, phoenixxx said:

Why do there need to still be same category cabins available if you're just asking for the price drop, it's not a rebooking is it?

Maybe because if the cruise line has a lot of cabins available in a particular category (not the one you booked) they might drop the price. A person who booked in a category that wasn't offered as a special deal, couldn't expect a price drop.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We had several re fares with Princess, booking direct with Princess, way to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

There were optimistic souls booking the January 2023 New Zealand cruise on Eclipse. I have no idea of the cost. That adventure isn't even on the stove anymore let alone a back burner.

We still have a deposit on a Viking cruise in December 2022 from SYD to AKL.  I just wanted to try Viking to be honest.  I think it's 50:50 whether it will go ahead.

I’m not sure if it’s a permanent thing with Royal as it says up to the end of October ???

Australian agents can match a lower price also,you don’t have to book directly with Royal or celebrity.

I believe it’s a permanent but stay tuned to the bat station.

D87C2245-E5DF-4283-80E3-6FE47FA1521F.thumb.jpeg.0dd3a76c270bf74e073e700d541b0e13.jpeg

37 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

We still have a deposit on a Viking cruise in December 2022 from SYD to AKL.  I just wanted to try Viking to be honest.  I think it's 50:50 whether it will go ahead.

😢 surely we will be cruising by Dec 2022 - Syd to AKL 🙏

We have the Syd 35 day round trip to Hawaii booked in Sept ‘22, have everything crossed 🤞🤞

3 hours ago, phoenixxx said:

I think it's because if all those cabins were sold then there was no new price listed against that category. However it may depend on who you talk to.

14 hours ago, Porky55 said:

😢 surely we will be cruising by Dec 2022 - Syd to AKL 🙏

We have the Syd 35 day round trip to Hawaii booked in Sept ‘22, have everything crossed 🤞🤞

I don't feel as confident as I did when I put the deposit on.  We went to an evening event and were impressed by their presentation and refund guarantee.  I thought Dec 22 was far enough into the future it would be okay.  Now, I think it's foolish to predict any further than six months ahead.  I am confident there will be no cruises in the next six months.  After that, who knows where we will be.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I don't feel as confident as I did when I put the deposit on.  We went to an evening event and were impressed by their presentation and refund guarantee.  I thought Dec 22 was far enough into the future it would be okay.  Now, I think it's foolish to predict any further than six months ahead.  I am confident there will be no cruises in the next six months.  After that, who knows where we will be.

2023 I believe. 

• Like 2

A friend just got an upgrade on a Feb 22 Australian cruise out of Melbourne. 

Is this another sign that cruising will commence in December? I can't see them bothering with upgrades if it looked likely the cruise would be cancelled and they must have a fair idea by now of what will be happening in December.

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Is this another sign that cruising will commence in December? I can't see them bothering with upgrades if it looked likely the cruise would be cancelled and they must have a fair idea by now of what will be happening in December.

I can't see anything to indicate that the government is talking to the cruise lines. As a result I don't think the cruise lines are any better informed than the rest of us.

We're guessing, they're guessing.

That said, I've been getting more optimistic about P&O starting local cruises next July(ish), and the other cruise lines in October(ish). 😁

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Optimism abounds with cruiselines starting here again.

57 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Assuming this is a paid upgrade, the cynic in me thinks it's more a revenue raising exercise than the cruise line actually believing cruises will go ahead this year.