Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

20 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Oh, I forgot one. I doubt PNG will be opening up anytime soon. 😟

I read an article over the weekend about the vaccination rates in PNG and the main problem is that the people are reacting to too much misinformation from social media and also their traditional beliefs. There is also the problem of distribution of the vaccine throughout the country. There are reports health workers have had death threats.

PNG Vaccine Hesitancy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I read an article over the weekend about the vaccination rates in PNG and the main problem is that the people are reacting to too much misinformation from social media and also their traditional beliefs. There is also the problem of distribution of the vaccine throughout the country. There are reports health workers have had death threats.

PNG Vaccine Hesitancy

Lots of misinformation around the Pacific especially from WhatsApp groups. I got family on WhatsApp and the stuff they get sent and send is pretty bad. The worst thing is the anti everything media look so professional it is no wonder people believe it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Here is an interesting chart from Our World in Data, a project by the University of Oxford in England. Fiji is opening up on the 1 November. It will be a loooog time until Vanuatu and New Caledonia are ready to receive tourists.😌 New Zealand is leading us in the race that is not a race.😁

image.png.dd498c0ac00daa4e54d1f54b2983368e.png

Australia is still ahead for fully vaccinated.  Aus 33.8% NZ 28.6%.  Still nice to see the vaccination numbers coming up in both countries though.  Our govt has made a push for getting one dose in - a bit like the UK did.

• Like 1

Finally some good news for Aussie cruising

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/nsw-treasurer-pledges-help-and-says-cruise-should-ride-the-wave-of-berejiklian-reopening/

NSW Treasurer, Dominic Perrottet has called for the restart of cruise in Australia when international borders reopen – expected before Christmas.

The treasurer told an industry forum this week: “It doesn’t make sense when we open our international borders for people to fly overseas to go cruising without being able to do so here.”

I am hoping that once we hit double vax @ 80% we can start Aus & NZ cruising...

Cheers

Craig

Edited by NumnuT_OZ
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, NumnuT_OZ said:

Cheers

Craig

I am thinking, lot will depend on if or where the outbreaks occur. I can see a port being snap closed if an outbreak happens in that city.

• Like 2

I wonder if we will have to home quarantine when returning from a cruise when they let us out.  This would prevent B2B cruises.  Will they differentiate between domestic and international?  What happens if we are allowed to visit other states and then the state borders slam shut while away?  Will we be marooned on the ship - I should be so lucky.

It is all hypothetical at the moment while we cannot go further than 5 kms.  I would like to consider MS Caledonian's Victorian 4 nighter in November (too expensive I know) but how do I even have any idea what will be the restrictions in 8 weeks time.  Dan talks about making small allowances when we reach targets.  How big is small?  Can't book if I don't know if I can get to Port Melb.  It's about 10 kms away.

If WA and Qld keep the borders shut till 90% vaccination how will the ships get here since they usually call at Fremantle or Brisbane to fuel on the way to Sydney?  Don't think they will come direct from USA via Hawaii.

So many questions and no answers yet.

2 hours ago, NumnuT_OZ said:

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/nsw-treasurer-pledges-help-and-says-cruise-should-ride-the-wave-of-berejiklian-reopening/

NSW Treasurer, Dominic Perrottet has called for the restart of cruise in Australia when international borders reopen – expected before Christmas.

The treasurer told an industry forum this week: “It doesn’t make sense when we open our international borders for people to fly overseas to go cruising without being able to do so here.”

Cheers

Craig

I would be very surprised to see any cruise ships in NZ this season.  It may be that you begin domestic cruises in Aus.  We are already allowed to travel overseas if we want to.  Our borders were never closed for our citizens as yours have been,  NZers have always been allowed to leave.  It's just that most people are unwilling to undergo the mandatory quarantine when they return, as well as the difficulty involved in securing a place.  

Edited by onlyslightlymad

7 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Australia is still ahead for fully vaccinated.  Aus 33.8% NZ 28.6%.  Still nice to see the vaccination numbers coming up in both countries though.  Our govt has made a push for getting one dose in - a bit like the UK did.

Has NZ anounced any plan for reopening the country?

Do you know if NZ has to get to a certain percent vaccinated or will the government keep NZ closed to foreign tourists until they think it is safe to reopen?

11 hours ago, possum52 said:

PNG Vaccine Hesitancy

I read the article and found it to be very sad. I doesn't sound like an easy problem to fix.

It may end up that with Delta now being there that there will be a lot of deaths in the elderly and natural immunity developing in the young.

I do believe that the same problem will occur in some Africain countries as well. I would hope that the World Health Organisation is working on some sort of solution for this but I don't hold much hope on them doing this.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sewgood said:

I do believe that the same problem will occur in some Africain countries as well. I would hope that the World Health Organisation is working on some sort of solution for this but I don't hold much hope on them doing this.

Africa's biggest problem is lack of vaccines. The Covax program was suppose to supply them but all the countries who were suppose to donate ended up hoarding vaccines instead🙄. Then you had the debacle of Astra Zeneca and a lot of people in Africa think they are receiving reject vaccines and unfortunately Africa's relationship with Europe reinforces that view. Ironically one of the highest vaccine hesitant groups in Africa are white South Africans. While 75% of black South Africa say they want to be vaccinated in the white community the split is nearly 50/50, the most hesitant being under 25. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sewgood said:

Has NZ anounced any plan for reopening the country?

Do you know if NZ has to get to a certain percent vaccinated or will the government keep NZ closed to foreign tourists until they think it is safe to reopen?

There is no specific percentage - just to vaccinate as many as possible.  There are two issues with a specific % I think.  First, the idea that once that target is reached, the populace will start slacking off with other measures.  Eg We've reached 70% I don't have to wear a mask on the train anymore.  Second, it's not possible to set a scientific goal for the future with a changing R nought number.  In yesterday's press briefing the mentioned the possibility of beginning to vaccinate 5-11 year olds.  The govt's stated objective is to vaccinate this year and look at opening next year.  It is likely to be a gradual reopening though with managed risk.  Indications are, there will be different rules depending on what country you are coming from.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NSWP said:

I don't think Aussies or Kiwis will be permitted to enter PNG anytime soon, that included cruise stops there. Covid is rampant.

Assuming that there is an Australian 22/23 cruise season, if PNG, Vanuatu and New Caledonia are off limits, as seems very likely, that will mean the cancellation of quite a few currently scheduled cruises.

I wonder what could replace them? I'm not sure there are enough Australian ports to support the ships that would be looking for somewhere to go. It might get very crowded in Cairns. It might also mean some last minute bargains as things get shuffled around.

• Like 2

PNG had already been dropped from any Princess itineraries that had a ports stop there. Anyway if/when cruising recommences the government won't allow any international port stops for quite some time. It will be domestic ports only or cruises to nowhere. The first hurdle will be interstate cruises.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I think for the 22/23 season Princess has about 7 Fiji and 2 PNG cruises lined up.

And if the Covid situation is still bad in those places they'll change the itineraries like they've done for the remaining 21/22 cruises that haven't been cancelled yet.

I have been following an interesting blog both text and photos from Postcards from the Transition.  I was sorry to read that he had caught covid recently whilst on a cruise with Alaska Dream Cruises. The cruise line took every precaution with guests having to be vaccinated and tested negative prior to the cruise. Guests kept to their bubble. He doesn't know how he caught the virus but thinks maybe in Sitka departure lounge.  Having flown from here it would be impossible to socially distance there.  This demonstrates how careful future cruisers must be despite

being double vaccinated and negative prior to a cruise.  

• Like 1

Whilst the State borders might not open when NSW reaches 80% we might be able to fly to Canada, if we are fully vaccinated.😉

"Air Canada and Qantas will fly Sydney-Vancouver four times a week with the first flight to Vancouver taking off on December 17." Traveller

• Like 4

Hi

just read on another site that our booked cruise on celebrity that lots of us transferred from 2020 to April 2022 to Japan is not showing up on Celebrity site.

we are wondering if they have made a decision already to cancel this cruise.

I can accept cancellations for 2021 but surely not 2022!,

eileen

I have everything crossed for a cruise booked for 23 Dec 2022 to NZ.

I am sort of confident..😃

also booked flights to an island resort in Fiji in Aug 2022..

gotta have some holidays booked to look forward to!!

Cheers

Craig