Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

From all the news I have read.... I now think cruising any time in next year.....  it like telling them they are dreaming....

And God only knows what will happen between now and then.....

I would be be happy with a long drive to no where for now.... just one tank of fuel would do....

Don

43 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

From all the news I have read.... I now think cruising any time in next year.....  it like telling them they are dreaming....

I would be be happy with a long drive to no where for now.... just one tank of fuel would do....

Don

Don when you fill your tank up with fuel they should be paying you for your trouble .

Crude oil was   Minus $US 40

A crazy world at the moment 

While travel between NZ and Aust maybe open sooner than being allowed to fly further without restrictions (14 isolation on return), I still struggle to see how it wont cost significantly more than it does now with the restrictions I would see that will still be required.  Social isolation will be enforce until there is a vaccine...Aust PM has already said that...and therefore I would expect any cruise line will be required to reduce the numbers onboard each ship...limited number of people around the pool...buffet...dining rooms etc to be able to get an approval to re-commence.  All this means increased cost to operate and therefore increased cost to passengers.  Not sure, but I would expect no more than two people per stateroom as well...again reducing the number of paying passengers.

I just can't see it being economical or allowed by regulators until there is a vaccine.

As was mentioned earlier, June is the first milestone. We might expect the situation to settle closer to the end of the year. The normal cruising will start next year, probably close to May. Booking anything right now I find very risky. We dont even know which destinations will be open and which countries will allow foreighners to enter. So, I wouldnt be so excited right now 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

What is confusing.

Royal Carribean is offering baggage storage after your cruise.

I haven’t seen it offered in Australia,maybe we are catching up with the world.

Some US ports such as Seattle offer cabin to your final destination service 

Virgin offered as good as the same; collection as soon as you got off the ship.

Though that may not be around any more...

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Virgin offered as good as the same; collection as soon as you got off the ship.

Though that may not be around any more...

That’s right  virgin did offer a check in at OPT for outgoing flights.

In the states they have a bag valet service . You leave the bag at your cabin door the evening before departure and you don’t see your bag until you’re final airport.

I think customs could be a problem here.

Edited by Chiliburn

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

I've had one too many iso sparkling wines tonight to understand anything posted here recently. 

Smarte carte  google them

I think that may be the company that Royal Caribbean would be using for their baggage service.

On 4/17/2020 at 10:35 AM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Trans Tasman is almost an essential . Australians flying over to the ski fields and Kiwis heading for some winter sun .

Kiwis used to be the largest number of foreign land owners on the Gold Coast, in volume.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, getting older slowly said:

Don

Me too!  Remember when we used to go on a drive on a Sunday to nowhere in particular?  In Queensland, we used to have to drive a certain number of miles to buy a beer at a pub!  We used to have to drive across the border to NSW to gamble.  We used to drive to the islands in North Queensland for our annual holidays.  Any wonder driving is in our DNA!

We used to head to Mon Ropose Beach near Bagara ... wonderful little spot ....and Nathalia in Victoria for somewhere close to home ..Hitch up the Vicount Pop Up .. and off we would go

Oh to be young again

Regards

John

1 hour ago, VK3DQ said:

We used to head to Mon Ropose Beach near Bagara ... wonderful little spot ....and Nathalia in Victoria for somewhere close to home ..Hitch up the Vicount Pop Up .. and off we would go

Oh to be young again

Regards

John

I'll second, third and fourth that  wish.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Me too!  Remember when we used to go on a drive on a Sunday to nowhere in particular?  In Queensland, we used to have to drive a certain number of miles to buy a beer at a pub!  We used to have to drive across the border to NSW to gamble.  We used to drive to the islands in North Queensland for our annual holidays.  Any wonder driving is in our DNA!

The old days... lived in Melbourne ( still do ) and my Parents had a holiday home on the Murray at Morgan SA   810km  did that trip regularly always in one hop... only stopped for fuel

Also when one a bit younger did a long weekend to Clare SA  drove one day.. wine tour the next, lovely lunch the one after and then on the four day drove home again....

This is why one goes cruising no driving..

Cheers Don

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

3 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Oh to be young again

Regards

John

Is Mon repose Beach near Bagara where the turtles lay their eggs? I like Bagara.

Not familiar with Nathalia.  what is its attraction?

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

The old days... lived in Melbourne ( still do ) and my Parents had a holiday home on the Murray at Morgan SA   810km  did that trip regularly always in one hop... only stopped for fuel

Also when one a bit younger did a long weekend to Clare SA  drove one day.. wine tour the next, lovely lunch the one after and then on the four day drove home again....

This is why one goes cruising no driving..

Cheers Don

Wow that was some drive.  

We still drive long distance but stopover en route more than when we were young. 

We still camp.  Usually for music festivals like Woodford Folk Festival and Bluesfest at Easter.  No Bluesfest this year because of Corona Virus, but we did attend Woodford camping from Christmas to New Year. 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Wow that was some drive.  

We still drive long distance but stopover en route more than when we were young. 

We still camp.  Usually for music festivals like Woodford Folk Festival and Bluesfest at Easter.  No Bluesfest this year because of Corona Virus, but we did attend Woodford camping from Christmas to New Year. 

Driving holidays  were a big thing growing up.... last long trip with the parents was early 70's  Melbourne to Cairns.....  After which by myself outback into the Simpson....

Then with the better half more outback and once to Perth and back....

Stop camping a few years ago...

Particularity after a memorable trip to Kangaroo Island camping... some idiot (me)

forgot the tent pegs.... we ended up borrowing some from the shop at Vivonne bay

Still Laugh about it today

Now a days like some of the luxuries...  so stay in a lot of self contained cottages.

Then we found cruising.... everything done for you... a real holiday for both of us

Cheers Don   ( not driving anywhere at the moment )  

We still enjoy the drive to nowhere. We aren't as strictly locked down here. We were out today took the long way around. Stopped for some groceries and at the fish monger for some halibut, smoked salmon and shrimp. I made a nice fish chowder for supper.

The first "holiday" I can remember was a drive from Victoria to Saskatchewan with my Mom & Dad in 1968 we drove out in our brand new AMC Rebel, then I went out to the farm every summer by bus for the next 5 years and then I joined The Royal Canadian Sea Cadets and did summer training in various places including a couple of deployments in Canadian war ships. 

Now the best we can do is the drive to nowhere😕

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

We didn’t have holidays when I was a kid, but a weekend drive was a treat.

Yes growing up the rural Victoria is was a standard thing into the car for a Sunday drive.....

Dad had an interesting take on that..... like let's try this road   haven't  been down that one  let's see what it at the end......

Those were the days.....

Cheers Don. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Driving holidays  were a big thing growing up.... last long trip with the parents was early 70's  Melbourne to Cairns.....  After which by myself outback into the Simpson....

Then with the better half more outback and once to Perth and back....

Stop camping a few years ago...

Particularity after a memorable trip to Kangaroo Island camping... some idiot (me)

forgot the tent pegs.... we ended up borrowing some from the shop at Vivonne bay

Still Laugh about it today

Now a days like some of the luxuries...  so stay in a lot of self contained cottages.

Then we found cruising.... everything done for you... a real holiday for both of us

Cheers Don   ( not driving anywhere at the moment )  

Ha ha  We forgot the tent pegs once.  Discovered in the dark at Stanthorpe after driving after work.  We phoned our daughter to bring the tent pegs up.  We'll never live that down.  Another time in Stanthorpe, a storm caused our tent to collapse.  We had to pack up and go home.  We got a better tent and have had no problems since.  Yes I also enjoy the luxury of self contained cottages and the convenience of beds being made. 

Edited by MMDown Under

The closest we came to a holiday I wasn’t yet at school, dad fell through a glass window and ended up with about 17 stitches in his arm, so we visited some friends in Wagga, the day we arrived the friend cut his arm shearing, opposite arm t dad, so they spent the week running the farm, one arm each, tossing around bales of hey, repairing machinery and fencing, finishing the shearing, milking the house cow etc etc. my next holiday was our honeymoon, then 18 years till we had one, between some health problems, both going to university having kids, since then we have been trying to make up for lost time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1