Jump to content

Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I would suggest that in your myopic view "We're not opening the borders until we can be sure that the people coming in will not be bringing CV-19 with them" then you will never open the borders, because really that "assurance" is indeed impossible

Blackduck59 - Vader1111 seems to be our current expert.
 Australia currently has its own cases of CV19 - we are quiet and in control, but not clear by any means. Any country (Or person) that thinks they are totally safe until there is a vaccine are delusional.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Any country (Or person) that thinks they are totally safe until there is a vaccine are delusional.

 

We're not. But there will be a point when the social and economic costs will outweigh the cost of having the virus in the community. Having mass unemployment ( a depression ) will lead to suicides and deaths by other means.  Even Italy is planning on opening up its borders.

 

We will have to live with this virus as we live with any other virus ( like the flu).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

What are they doing here that the ones they replaced couldn't do. Nothing, just rotation that could have been put off for another month or so. That is non essential.

No offence intended but you obviously have no idea of the logistics involved in the changeover of 2500 service personnel. Definitely something that can not be changed at a moments notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indonesia’s tropical holiday island of Bali could reopen to tourists in October, thanks to its success in controlling the coronavirus outbreak, the government says.

 

“I think we might see some Asian and pacific ports open their borders to us from the start to the middle of next year,” Margy Osmond from the Tourism and Transport Forum told The Courier-Mail newspaper.

She expects the Australia and New Zealand bubble to be activate from September, while agreements with countries like Taiwan, Japan and South Korea could follow. Source

 

I personally I cannot see Australian's being allowed to travel to Bali in the short term. Bali's reported COVID-19 cases, 343 and four deaths is similar to SA. Unlike SA, they still have active cases.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

Your opinion of what is essential is largely irrelevant.  The Govt deemed them to be essential.

 

Nobody is deeming cruising to be essential.

Cruising is non essential, no one is arguing that, my point was that in time, it will be considered viable to inject money back into the economy.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

In 6 months time they will still need exemptions, as they're coming from high risk countries.  The only countries where citizens are likely to be able to travel to/from Australia in that timeframe are NZ and the South Pacific islands.  Possibly low risk countries in Asia, such as Taiwan & Vietnam, which have squashed CV-19 as effectively as Aus & NZ.  High risk countries, such as Indonesia, USA, Philippines, will be waiting a lot longer - probably 2022.

 

We are going to have these restrictions for as long as it takes, in order to prevent CV-19 from returning to Australian shores.  The Aus Govt will not compromise on that.

And that time frame is your opinion, I think it will happen much quicker, the $$ are too attractive to ignore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

No offence intended but you obviously have no idea of the logistics involved in the changeover of 2500 service personnel. Definitely something that can not be changed at a moments notice.

Exactly, much easier to postpone the movement of troops for a few months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to read a more positive attitude on the future of cruising.

 

"Once the state borders open it's not impossible that we will start seeing cruise options around Australia in the last quarter of this year," she said.

Mr Katz said cruise operators will consider putting on more local trips while international travel remains banned for Australians.

"I would expect we will see more domestic or possible regional itinerary options in that initial start up phase," he said.

 

But do not expect the Tourism Minister to get behind the idea. Senator Birmingham said he would rather people stay onshore. Source

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Cruising is non essential, no one is arguing that, my point was that in time, it will be considered viable to inject money back into the economy.

 

5 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Good to read a more positive attitude on the future of cruising.

 

"Once the state borders open it's not impossible that we will start seeing cruise options around Australia in the last quarter of this year," she said.

Mr Katz said cruise operators will consider putting on more local trips while international travel remains banned for Australians.

"I would expect we will see more domestic or possible regional itinerary options in that initial start up phase," he said.

 

But do not expect the Tourism Minister to get behind the idea. Senator Birmingham said he would rather people stay onshore. Source

They will have to ease restrictions on  local travel for the sake of the economy and people’s mental health.People are mucked up.

A lot of people are stressed a need something to look forward too.They Just want to get out of the house.

 

Me ,  I need a cruise and a good hangover.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first domestic flights took off yesterday for Queenstown , much to the relief of the locals . Queenstown and the surrounding district has just died as the tourists left . Staff ,out of work  , are leaving in droves. to avoid the high rents .They are now waiting for the Trans Tasman bubble opening up as the ski season is about to get under way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the first step is local travel... then interstate.... but of course this is providing the federal and states... all go in the same direction and timeline as each other..... fingers crossed.......

 

Wish list is order :-

 

A trip down the coast                      90%

 

A trip to Tasmania on the spirit     70%

 

Booked local cruise                         50% 

 

Booked cruise to NZ                        30%

 

Cheers Don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

Your opinion of what is essential is largely irrelevant.  The Govt deemed them to be essential.

 

Nobody is deeming cruising to be essential.

I am 👵🏻

Cheers Carole

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

And that time frame is your opinion, I think it will happen much quicker, the $$ are too attractive to ignore.

I think late 2021 is a more likely timeframe for the re-start of cruising.  Around the start of the Australian "wave season".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Good to read a more positive attitude on the future of cruising.

 

"Once the state borders open it's not impossible that we will start seeing cruise options around Australia in the last quarter of this year," she said.

Mr Katz said cruise operators will consider putting on more local trips while international travel remains banned for Australians.

"I would expect we will see more domestic or possible regional itinerary options in that initial start up phase," he said.

 

But do not expect the Tourism Minister to get behind the idea. Senator Birmingham said he would rather people stay onshore. Source

I was going to quote this article myself.

 

The only important quotes in the article are those from Simon Birmingham (Australia's Minister for Tourism) and Nick Coatsworth (Australia's Deputy Chief Medical Officer). 

 

Comments by Mr Katz and Ms Osmond are little more than wishful thinking, by people with a vested interest in allowing cruising to re-start.  These are not people who make the decisions, and they don't even have the ability to influence those decisions.

 

Here are the Coatsworth & Birmingham quotes from the article:

Quote

"There will be an opportunity and time to consider whether cruise ships are the right place to go, but I would suggest it is too early at this point in time," he said.

Quote

"There are no guarantees about when any of the activities will restart," he told the ABC.

"Certainly no guarantees about international travel and definitely no guarantees about international cruise shipping."

Senator Birmingham said he would rather people stay onshore.

"The most important focus of our tourism recovery will be on attracting visitors to stay in our towns, supporting Australian businesses to get back on their feet," he said.

"I will be urging them [Australians] to firstly get in their cars and drive across regional Australia wherever they can and when we get to point state borders are opened, to hopefully get on planes and head to some of the other great destinations around the country."

 

Edited by Vader1111
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way I'm feeling at the moment, 4 weeks into an expected 6-7 weeks recovery from a major and very painful operation, I'd be happy just to leave Sydney and cruise around in circles for a fortnight.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

The way I'm feeling at the moment, 4 weeks into an expected 6-7 weeks recovery from a major and very painful operation, I'd be happy just to leave Sydney and cruise around in circles for a fortnight.

As long as it's somewhere warm. I do not want to cruise around in the middle of the Tasman Sea for two weeks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

We maybe a victim of our own success.

 

If there is no vaccine ,the rest of the world would be exposed to the virus and have the herd immunity and will be in our own little paranoid world.

 

Unlikely. It's going to take a very long time to reach any form of "herd immunity," hence why early promoters such as Boris quickly backed down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Good to read a more positive attitude on the future of cruising.

 

"Once the state borders open it's not impossible that we will start seeing cruise options around Australia in the last quarter of this year," she said.

Mr Katz said cruise operators will consider putting on more local trips while international travel remains banned for Australians.

"I would expect we will see more domestic or possible regional itinerary options in that initial start up phase," he said.

 

But do not expect the Tourism Minister to get behind the idea. Senator Birmingham said he would rather people stay onshore. Source

 

Well, he represents the cruise industry so you'd expect him to present a more positive perspective!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, vozzie said:

The Minister might prefer that we stay on land, however, the people will decide where they wish to holiday.

Looking at what remains of the "Escape" travel section of the Sunday Telegraph I read the ad for train travel on the Ghan and the Indian Pacific, what you got for the prices charged just confirmed why I prefer cruising. The last holiday we had in Australia was a coach tour of Tasmania, supposedly 10 days actually 8 real days, and the cost 8 years ago makes 14 days to Fiji in a Princess balcony at today's prices look cheap.

We'd love to support Aus Travel, but not at the prices set for overseas tourists who, with our lousy exchange rate, think it's cheap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Land travel is expensive compared with cruising. By the time you add meals on top of the accommodation costs and transport costs (flights, trains, buses, shuttles or petrol if driving). And you don't get much in the way of entertainment either - maybe live music at a bar is about all unless you choose to go to a movie or a theatre show.

 

But there is still a perception that cruising is only for the wealthy. 🙄

 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Looking at what remains of the "Escape" travel section of the Sunday Telegraph I read the ad for train travel on the Ghan and the Indian Pacific, what you got for the prices charged just confirmed why I prefer cruising. The last holiday we had in Australia was a coach tour of Tasmania, supposedly 10 days actually 8 real days, and the cost 8 years ago makes 14 days to Fiji in a Princess balcony at today's prices look cheap.

We'd love to support Aus Travel, but not at the prices set for overseas tourists who, with our lousy exchange rate, think it's cheap.

I must admit the Ghan in particularly is way over priced .. we did the Indian Pacific quite a while ago to was wonderful.... but would not do it again as to dear now.... so cruising is much more attractive.....

 

One place we joy is Tasmania... take the car on the Spirit  but it is getting dearer, use to about $600 return

and sometimes cheaper... now best price in about $1200 plus return .....  

 

One thing to not do is guided tour in Australia... just too costly.... so end up driving....

 

Finger crossed Tasmania will open for interstate travel... and the small businesses have not folded and if open put their prices  up.  or otherwise it is time to call it quits.....

 

Cheers Don

 

Edited by getting older slowly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vozzie said:

The Minister might prefer that we stay on land, however, the people will decide where they wish to holiday.


Unfortunately the Minister takes priority as to what opportunities will be available to grant you your wish. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways Announces an Extended Season on the Douro River
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...