Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
OzKiwiJJ

Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Can I please ask if you were able to get travel insurance with virus cover.

Cheers Carole

Carole, since we had two big cruises booked this year I took out an annual policy in early January, before they announced a cutoff date for policy cover for the pandemic, so I'm covered if that September cruise does go ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Carole, since we had two big cruises booked this year I took out an annual policy in early January, before they announced a cutoff date for policy cover for the pandemic, so I'm covered if that September cruise does go ahead.

Interesting, a lot of people had their claims denied from different sources.

This time you would be travelling after the virus is known to the insurer and they are still covering you if you should happen to be affected by it ?

Cheers Carole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Interesting, a lot of people had their claims denied from different sources.

This time you would be travelling after the virus is known to the insurer and they are still covering you if you should happen to be affected by it ?

Cheers Carole

I have to a claim for a small part of the Europe trip we were supposed to be on right now so I'll let you know what happens. Our policy has no exclusions for pandemics.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I have to a claim for a small part oif the Europe trip we were supposed to be on right now so I'll let you know what happens. Our policy has no exclusions for pandemics.

Forgot to ask if you don’t mind saying, who the insurer is.

Cheers Carole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think travel insurance is a fatal car accident in this day and age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Forgot to ask if you don’t mind saying, who the insurer is.

Cheers Carole

Insure&Go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think Carnival has the right idea “Post Cruising” as to taking care of passengers and keeping ships clean. Did some research on this process and it looks very efficient, we should appreciate the fact that Carnival would be applying best practice and be using the best currently available. There is more, link follows:

 

  • At night, a deep cleaning and disinfection process is conducted utilising electro-static applications through specialised machines in highly-trafficked public areas (including all restaurants, the fitness centre, spa, lido deck areas, promenade, casino, medical centre, public restrooms, lounges, bars, lobbies, elevators, atrium, youth activity centres, arcade and all crew public areas).

https://www.carnival.com.au/travel-advisory#cleaning-standards

 

Cant find anywhere where Princess is planning on using this process too 🤔


 

Edited by Porky55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see at least one agent is giving 5% discount if you pay in full, that agent In Canberra I heard isn’t responding to calls.

I wouldn’t be paying in full until there’s some plan to start cruising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 11:05 AM, stki said:

Border force update today:Just released by Australian Border Forces...

On 15 May 2020, the Governor-General has extended the human biosecurity emergency period for an additional three months, from 17 June to 17 September 2020. This has enabled the Minister for Health to continue to exercise the emergency powers under the Commonwealth Biosecurity Act to prevent or control the spread of COVID-19.

 


So this means the Do Not Travel alert out of Australia has likewise been extended? I'm not able to file an Insurance claim for our cancelled July cruise until it extends past our departure date of mid July.

 

Our  Insurance has already paid out one Covid claim for our cancelled trip to Bali at end of March. So for those insured with Insure and Go, they most certainly pay out for claims that have occurred as a result of Covid if taken out by end of January. 

Edited by Pushka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I wouldn’t be paying in full until there’s some plan to start cruising

Agree there Chilli, would like to see a plan  too, soon ......... 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


It’s almost like a Ponzi scheme going on.

 

Bring in new money in order to repay the earlier cancellations.

 

Perhaps I am just too suspicious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Docker123 said:


It’s almost like a Ponzi scheme going on.

 

Bring in new money in order to repay the earlier cancellations.

 

Perhaps I am just too suspicious.

Ponzi or pyramid scheme,all the money goes to the top and the drones get burned 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Docker123 said:


It’s almost like a Ponzi scheme going on.

 

Bring in new money in order to repay the earlier cancellations.

 

Perhaps I am just too suspicious.

Not at all, I mentioned this earlier in this thread that the cruise lines were essentially using new booking's to pay for cancelled cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 4:02 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Insure&Go.

I also had a year policy with them for multiple trips that I have had to cancel.  I have checked with them and they have told me that it doesn't matter that policy was taken out before covid any travel booked after that became know will not be covered for any claim involving covid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rickays said:

I also had a year policy with them for multiple trips that I have had to cancel.  I have checked with them and they have told me that it doesn't matter that policy was taken out before covid any travel booked after that became know will not be covered for any claim involving covid.


This is not correct. As I mentioned earlier, I have already had one successful claim From Insure and Go on our annual cover due to the Do Not Travel alert as a result of Covid, for our cancelled trip to Bali supposed to be in late March. I received the airline cancellation penalty back.  The money was returned within 21 days of making the claim. 
 

What they are saying is that if you travel overseas after the Do Not Travel then you will not be covered for any Covid expenses. Cancellation penalties however, will be paid by them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Pushka said:


This is not correct. As I mentioned earlier, I have already had one successful claim From Insure and Go on our annual cover due to the Do Not Travel alert as a result of Covid, for our cancelled trip to Bali supposed to be in late March. I received the airline cancellation penalty back.  The money was returned within 21 days of making the claim. 
 

What they are saying is that if you travel overseas after the Do Not Travel then you will not be covered for any Covid expenses. Cancellation penalties however, will be paid by them.  

What I said is that they will not cover any trip for covid if the BOOKING was made after covid became known.  A year policy lets you make multiple trips in the year.  If travel is allowed to NZ in June and I book that, even though my policy was taken out last year before covid, I now would not be covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rickays said:

What I said is that they will not cover any trip for covid if the BOOKING was made after covid became known.  A year policy lets you make multiple trips in the year.  If travel is allowed to NZ in June and I book that, even though my policy was taken out last year before covid, I now would not be covered.


Ok, thanks for explaining the timing. Once Covid was declared a pandemic which was about the same time as insurers closed off for Covid claims then I hadn't thought of people still booking travel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we maybe going to witness a train wreck with our economy.

 

One good experience we have had in all this.

A whole heap of us and our friends have birthdays late July early August .

We booked 8 rooms for a weekend at the four seasons Sydney with the club room. 
Four seasons has been fantastic,no deposit,advance purchase discount and they said they will put on a cake in the club for free.

 They said they will confirm it a couple of days before and if it’s a no go they will cancel for free.

What service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)


I guess most of us received the CC email this morning.

 

Interesting interview with the boss of Carnival. No certain dates of return, science and health to guide. No merging of lines.

 

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5366/?et_cid=3334830&et_rid=106575201&et_referrer=Boards

 

The Royal Caribbean article was also non-definitive on returns. However, the discussion of potentially removing smaller ships from the fleet in favour of the biggies was interesting.  Economies of scale 30% v 50% capacity to break even), more spaces, etc.

 

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5359/?et_cid=3334830&et_rid=106575201&et_referrer=Boards

Edited by Docker123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting read anyway, will see what if anything happens when it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not read the comments on this thread but as the majority of cruisers are in their later years, I cannot believe anyone would even consider booking or going on a cruise from anywhere until there is a vaccine or a immediate effective  cure available

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bpos said:

I have not read the comments on this thread but as the majority of cruisers are in their later years, I cannot believe anyone would even consider booking or going on a cruise from anywhere until there is a vaccine or a immediate effective  cure available

If the number of cases is almost zero in Australia and NZ, and the cruise is limited to the Aus/NZ bubble (ie no international passengers), and the Sapphire Princess Round Australia cruise miraculously goes ahead in September, and it's limited to Australian ports, then I'll be on it - although I will try to upgrade my cabin from an inside one. Why? I deem the risk to be very low given those circumstances so why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If the number of cases is almost zero in Australia and NZ, and the cruise is limited to the Aus/NZ bubble (ie no international passengers), and the Sapphire Princess Round Australia cruise miraculously goes ahead in September, and it's limited to Australian ports, then I'll be on it - although I will try to upgrade my cabin from an inside one. Why? I deem the risk to be very low given those circumstances so why not?

 

We seriously considered jumping on some of those super cheap specials that were available earlier this year, thank god we did not proceed.  Crews from around the world?

What has changed, nothing but I would not be taking assurances from cruise lines that their ship is 'safe' to sail on until I have a jab - that will be my 'safe to go' tick.and only that will do for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I guess most of us received the CC email this morning.

 

Interesting interview with the boss of Carnival. No certain dates of return, science and health to guide. No merging of lines.

 

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5366/?et_cid=3334830&et_rid=106575201&et_referrer=Boards

 

The Royal Caribbean article was also non-definitive on returns. However, the discussion of potentially removing smaller ships from the fleet in favour of the biggies was interesting.  Economies of scale 30% v 50% capacity to break even), more spaces, etc.

 

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5359/?et_cid=3334830&et_rid=106575201&et_referrer=Boards

 

You can add this article of announcements to the list

What New Health Protocols Are Cruise Lines Introducing?

 

Looks like buffets are becoming a fast casualty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...