Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
OzKiwiJJ

Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

 

Got a link?

This isn't from WHO but from CSIRO. I, for one, feel so depressed whenever I see comments saying there won't be a vaccine so I'm sharing the information that the CSIRO has put out. I just got this today in their newsletter.

 

The scientists working on this seem to feel confident that they have a very good chance of success.

 

https://blog.csiro.au/two-vaccine-candidates-acdp/?utm_source=Snapshot-June-2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

 

Got a link?

From Tedros in the same article - "Hoping that there will be a vaccine, the estimate is we may have a vaccine within one year. If accelerated, it could be even less than that, but by a couple of months. That's what scientists are saying," he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

One issue is that even if the Vaccine is ready to use in 12 months, it may take another 12 months for people to actually access the vaccine, front line workers and the elderly, would be first off the ranks to get it..

Isn’t that most of us on CC, Mic 😆
“front line workers and the elderly, would be first off the ranks to get it..”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Isn’t that most of us on CC, Mic 😆
“front line workers and the elderly, would be first off the ranks to get it..”

By elderly I mean people of my parents generation, 70 +, so yeah maybe it is CC members

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

By elderly I mean people of my parents generation, 70 +, so yeah maybe it is CC members

Personally I'm refusing to be elderly until I reach 90!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

This isn't from WHO but from CSIRO. I, for one, feel so depressed whenever I see comments saying there won't be a vaccine so I'm sharing the information that the CSIRO has put out. I just got this today in their newsletter.

 

The scientists working on this seem to feel confident that they have a very good chance of success.

 

https://blog.csiro.au/two-vaccine-candidates-acdp/?utm_source=Snapshot-June-2020

Thanks.  Fascinating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

 

I think you took my meaning a little out of context, what I meant is, many people are saying everything should stay in limbo until there is a vaccine. My point was we need to find a way of living around this thing should an effective vaccine not materialize.

It may be the case that there is no vaccine, and we need to find a way of living with CV-19 as a "new normal".  However, the Aus Govt is currently working on the assumption that a vaccine will become available, probably sometime in 2021.  If that turns out to be a bad assumption, then they will have to start planning for a different reality - but for now, that's the assumption upon which they're basing their decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

reading the latest updates was amazed about the testing regime for incoming people placed in hotels for 14 days.

it was stated 30% refuse testing? now it will be mandatory. 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, pully8 said:

reading the latest updates was amazed about the testing regime for incoming people placed in hotels for 14 days.

it was stated 30% refuse testing? now it will be mandatory. 

   

Will be like fingerprinting persons in custody who refuse to have their prints taken, in New South Wales (The Premier State)😊a magistrate can order them taken, which mean police forcibly restrain the person and take the prescribed fingerprints if they are still not cooperating .  So will those who refuse the CoVid swab be held down by the CoVid Commandos and have the swab forced into their oracles? 🤑👮‍♂️

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Will be like fingerprinting persons in custody who refuse to have their prints taken, in New South Wales (The Premier State)😊a magistrate can order them taken, which mean police forcibly restrain the person and take the prescribed fingerprints if they are still not cooperating .  So will those who refuse the CoVid swab be held down by the CoVid Commandos and have the swab forced into their oracles? 🤑👮‍♂️

This development by the Doherty Institute in Melbourne could be a game changer.

 

"And, in an Australian first and thanks to the efforts of the Doherty Institute, from next week we will be doing additional testing from the collection of saliva samples – providing a faster, easier and more comfortable test." Source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, By The Bay said:

This development by the Doherty Institute in Melbourne could be a game changer.

 

"And, in an Australian first and thanks to the efforts of the Doherty Institute, from next week we will be doing additional testing from the collection of saliva samples – providing a faster, easier and more comfortable test." Source

My word it will be, the present form of testing, like sticking swabs into peoples oracles is draconian and torturous.

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pully8 said:

reading the latest updates was amazed about the testing regime for incoming people placed in hotels for 14 days.

it was stated 30% refuse testing? now it will be mandatory. 

   

That is horrifying!

 

If people refuse tests they should be kept in quarantine, at their cost, until they do agree to the tests. In fact if they refuse tests they should be billed for the whole quarantine stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

This development by the Doherty Institute in Melbourne could be a game changer.

 

"And, in an Australian first and thanks to the efforts of the Doherty Institute, from next week we will be doing additional testing from the collection of saliva samples – providing a faster, easier and more comfortable test." Source

It might also encourage more people in the general community to get tested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw elsewhere that Cunard's Queen Elizabeth is heading back to the UK from the Philippines. I think that's a clear indication Cunard doesn't think cruising will resume in Australia for the 20/21 season. I doubt they would head back up to the UK then turn around and come back here in November or whenever she was due to arrive. We're booked on her Auckland to Sydney late January. I guess that will be another cruise that gets cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

 We're booked on her Auckland to Sydney late January. I guess that will be another cruise that gets cancelled.

The sad reality that this virus has some time to run before cruising resumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I just saw elsewhere that Cunard's Queen Elizabeth is heading back to the UK from the Philippines.

 

Might be Bermuda instead, that's where she is registered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Cunard website:

 

As a result of the continuing impact of Covid-19, Cunard has extended its pause in operations to sailings up to and including 1 November 2020 for Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria, and 23 November for Queen Elizabeth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That fits in with QE's itinerary in Australia.  I am booked on December 1st departing Melbourne.  Think her first trip is 25th Nov - a 6 nighter Melb to SA, Syd and I think Tas.

 

Not very hopeful it will go ahead.  Just wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ondine said:

That fits in with QE's itinerary in Australia.  I am booked on December 1st departing Melbourne.  Think her first trip is 25th Nov - a 6 nighter Melb to SA, Syd and I think Tas.

 

Not very hopeful it will go ahead.  Just wait and see.

I think it was Brendan Murphy who said today that Australia's borders would (probably?) remain closed until there's a vaccine. I think that statement doesn't refer to a trans-Tasman bubble though. Alan Joyce this morning saying Qantas wouldn't be resuming flying international routes before next July.

 

I've found the quote below from Murphy; in that context, I would suggest 'relatively near future' would mean by mid next year. Possibly take until end of next year to roll out the vaccines. At least we'll be able to enjoy our own backyard, travel-wise, not literally. But that too, of course.

 

"To fully open the international border without any quarantining or any restrictions probably will require a vaccine to be able to adequately protect vulnerable people in the community," Professor Murphy said.

"Until that happens, we're going to have some sort of border measures … and if we don't get a successful vaccine in the relatively near future, then we have to re-evaluate."'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

 

Might be Bermuda instead, that's where she is registered.

No, it specifically said Southhampton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we are hopefully of cruising again.

vaccine might or not happen.

like many i was surprised at the testing regime voluntary rules.

probably people refuse for the discomfort and need for repeated testing.

once tested does the clock get reset to 14 days?

also the cost factor of housing people in quarantine.

some have requested early release for various reasons.

losing the ability to earn a living.

meanwhile panic buying is happening again. 

would love to be back on a ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if a test returns a positive they (should) stay in quarantine until they have two negative tests. That's what they did in Japan with David and Sally Abel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

 

"To fully open the international border without any quarantining or any restrictions probably will require a vaccine to be able to adequately protect vulnerable people in the community," Professor Murphy said.

"Until that happens, we're going to have some sort of border measures … and if we don't get a successful vaccine in the relatively near future, then we have to re-evaluate."'


But we then could be in danger of this if we don’t learn to live with Covid-19 - (A quote from the past week 🙄)

 

“But you don’t need to be elderly or work in a hospital to be hanging out for a coronavirus vaccine. Without one, Australia could remain a hermit kingdom at the end of the Earth, cut off from the rest of the World.”

what a frightening thought ....... 😳

Edited by Porky55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...