Jump to content

Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

 

You on Faceache NSWP?

Now and then, but I feel ill sometimes reading the posts from the 'Armchair Admirals.'   What really irks me is the 'Thank you Princess.'  Like when they get their refunds after 6 months of waiting and hit FaceAche, what the heck, they are entitled to it and had to wait a long, long time, so why bow and scrape to the cruise lines?  The cruise lines are really dudding cruise customers by unreasonable delay in refunding.  No way in these uncertain times would this little black duck put any deposit or even lodge a FCC letter on any cruise booking.  I think the cruise lines would do better with no deposit bookings, or $1 deposits like the Americans are sometimes offered.

 

Rant over.

Edited by NSWP
Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually the Princess Future Cruise Deposit deals are quite good. $100pp per booking and you get OBC. The amount of OBC varies by the type of cabin and the length of the cruise but in some cases is more than the value of the FCD. $125 or $150. You have to buy them on a previous cruise, they are valid for 2 years and are refunded if you don't use them. The only time you lose them is if you cancel inside the cancellation penalty period - they changed to that a few years ago as too many people were booking multiple cruises using the FCDs then cancelling most of them just before final payment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Actually the Princess Future Cruise Deposit deals are quite good. $100pp per booking and you get OBC. The amount of OBC varies by the type of cabin and the length of the cruise but in some cases is more than the value of the FCD. $125 or $150. You have to buy them on a previous cruise, they are valid for 2 years and are refunded if you don't use them. The only time you lose them is if you cancel inside the cancellation penalty period - they changed to that a few years ago as too many people were booking multiple cruises using the FCDs then cancelling most of them just before final payment.

Thank you, aware of the Princess deposit/cancellation policy.  Always booked our Princess cruises direct with Princess website and used many FCD's.  Good system.  Out of our 26 cruises, 20 were with Princess.th.jpg.3ff307dc1f623e5d5dfbed3504733bd4.jpg

Edited by NSWP
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NSWP said:

 

Thank you, aware of the Princess deposit/cancellation policy.  Always booked our Princess cruises direct with Princess website and used many FCD's.  Good system.  Out of our 26 cruises, 20 were with Princess.th.jpg.3ff307dc1f623e5d5dfbed3504733bd4.jpg

They certainly make it easy to book, and to change bookings when necessary. We currently have three cruises booked with Princess, all with FCDs so I don't have to worry about getting deposits back if they are cancelled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They certainly make it easy to book, and to change bookings when necessary. We currently have three cruises booked with Princess, all with FCDs so I don't have to worry about getting deposits back if they are cancelled.

That is one advantage of the FCDs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a link to an article in Travel Weekly about the EU guidance for cruising to re-start. Part of the article.

 

"The guidelines say “cruise lines could consider” testing all incoming passengers for Covid-19 before boarding and routine health monitoring (including Covid tests) for all crew.

 

The EU recommends reduced onboard capacity to allow for physical distancing and the quarantining of passengers and crew in case there is a need. It also recommends that cruise lines start out with short voyages (three to seven days) when returning to service, perhaps limiting the number of port visits.

 

Additionally, the guidance suggests that activities and services onboard cruise ships be “organized according to age group, so that older individuals are separated from other age groups.” This applies to crew members as well"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That is one advantage of the FCDs.

I reckon to express their appreciation for our loyalty, Princess should permit Elites to purchase the FCD's at any time through their website, not just purchase them on board via the Captains Circle Host. What say ye? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

the guidance suggests that activities and services onboard cruise ships be “organized according to age group, so that older individuals are separated from other age groups.”

 

You would have to be careful how you separated them. If you put all the oldies on board in one group on the bow, the ship would head for Davey Jones' Locker nose first.😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I reckon to express their appreciation for our loyalty, Princess should permit Elites to purchase the FCD's at any time through their website, not just purchase them on board via the Captains Circle Host. What say ye? 

Sounds like a great idea to me. Especially if we can't cruise for a while. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Additionally, the guidance suggests that activities and services onboard cruise ships be “organized according to age group, so that older individuals are separated from other age groups.” This applies to crew members as well"

 

That's a stupid idea! It might work for Med cruises where the age demographic is quite widespread on ships but it wouldn't work on some cruises down here because 90% of passengers (or more) are "older".

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's a stupid idea! It might work for Med cruises where the age demographic is quite widespread on ships but it wouldn't work on some cruises down here because 90% of passengers (or more) are "older".

It could work on P&O Straya and Carnival. I agree not on Princess or HAL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I reckon to express their appreciation for our loyalty, Princess should permit Elites to purchase the FCD's at any time through their website, not just purchase them on board via the Captains Circle Host. What say ye? 

I like the idea, doubt they would though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok with any measures to cruise safely again.

It may be odd with some new rules but in some ways other things with travel are like that.

The herding in small spaces at airports and dusting for explosives, often thought it would not be good to be confined with a potential bomber? But it gave someone a job.

Life is an adventure.

Agree about the difficult time some are having getting any refunds.

Listening to the radio one woman was speaking with a large travel company CEO who told her $30000 plus was not at risk, hang on it will cruise again.

She said he husband was 80 and was concerned waiting year or 2 may be a risk for them. The placating continued from the CEO..

We watch for good news.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Porky55 said:

The document that Travel Weekly is based on is quite daunting - I recommend you take a moment and have a read. 😳
 

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EU_HEALTHY_GATEWAYS_COVID-19_RESTARTING_CRUISES.pdf?ver=2020-07-01-115942-557

 

 

Thanks for that interesting information....  A bit more than a moment 49 pages

 

I think if everything was followed it really wouldn't be an enjoyable experience 

 

One thing was the panel of cruise people out of 37 people, 23 were from RCL

 

Cheers Don

 

Look like not cruising for a while

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Porky55 said:

The document that Travel Weekly is based on is quite daunting - I recommend you take a moment and have a read. 😳
 

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EU_HEALTHY_GATEWAYS_COVID-19_RESTARTING_CRUISES.pdf?ver=2020-07-01-115942-557

 

Thanks for the link. I didn't get to read it all as it is quite detailed. Not looking forward to cruising whilst COVID-19 is around. A cruise, whilst wearing a face mask most of the time, does not appeal to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Thanks for the link. I didn't get to read it all as it is quite detailed. Not looking forward to cruising whilst COVID-19 is around. A cruise, whilst wearing a face mask most of the time, does not appeal to me.

Agree, us neither, and trying to divide pax into age groups in different sectors of a ship - sounds like Infant School not a holiday.
 

Have fingers, toes, knees and eyes crossed for a vaccine 😆

Edited by Porky55
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Thanks for the link. I didn't get to read it all as it is quite detailed. Not looking forward to cruising whilst COVID-19 is around. A cruise, whilst wearing a face mask most of the time, does not appeal to me.

Here is one extract about masks. My emphasis. Welcome to the new world of cruising.

 

"Where passengers may interact with one another but appropriate physical distancing can be maintained (at least 1.5 metres), there is no need for the use of PPE.


**For passengers who are travelling together such as a family unit or travelling unit (e.g. cohabitants, friends etc.), no PPE are required when they are interacting, and physical distancing between them is not required.


When passengers are interacting with others outside of their family unit or travelling unit and a physical distance of 1.5 metres cannot be maintained, it is suggested that passengers use a face mask."

 

Further into the document, it states.

 

"Settings where face mask use is strongly recommended

Specific settings including:

  • During embarkation at the terminal
  • On buses during transport
  • Walking/passing in narrow corridors on board
  • In elevators on board
  • Visiting the medical facility on board
  • On board lifeboats"
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wouldn't cruise under those conditions. It wouldn't be enjoyable at all.

Same here, no way would I pay all that money to have to be restricted like that, not a pleasant experience at all.   I can't see how the cruise lines are going to fill their ships with these restrictions, masks, social distancing, enforcement of hand washing etc, no buffets etc. Cruising is supposed to be fun, with the restriction it will not be fun, not for this little black deck.   What about dancing and the ship's choir and karaoke, all gonzo?   

 

My next cruise will be on the Clyde River the fish and chip cruise, 3 hours on ye olde pleasure boat Merinda, Batemans Bay to Nelligen and return.

Edited by NSWP
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Same here, no way would I pay all that money to have to be restricted like that, not a pleasant experience at all.   I can't see how the cruise lines are going to fill their ships with these restrictions, masks, social distancing, enforcement of hand washing etc, no buffets etc. Cruising is supposed to be fun, with the restriction it will not be fun, not for this little black deck.   What about dancing and the ship's choir and karaoke, all gonzo?   

 

My next cruise will be on the Clyde River the fish and chip cruise, 3 hours on ye olde pleasure boat Merinda, Batemans Bay to Nelligen and return.

That sounds a nice relaxing cruise Les.

 

Leigh

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Porky55 said:

The document that Travel Weekly is based on is quite daunting - I recommend you take a moment and have a read. 😳
 

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EU_HEALTHY_GATEWAYS_COVID-19_RESTARTING_CRUISES.pdf?ver=2020-07-01-115942-557

 

Here is a link to a YouTube video by Gary Bembridge for those than want a quick review of the EU's guidelines for cruising. The comments under the video indicate most are not keen to cruise under the proposed EU's protocols.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NSWP said:

My next cruise will be on the Clyde River the fish and chip cruise, 3 hours on ye olde pleasure boat Merinda, Batemans Bay to Nelligen and return.

 

OK, I've decided to add this to our next trip down to the south coast.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...