Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Cheers, I was just reading on FaceAche that the Covid testing station here is turning away hundreds of people a they cannot cope with the numbers and they were open all weekend too. Several shops, cafes, eateries etc have shut down already, paranoia reins and still the tourists roll into town in their caravans, mobile homes etc.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

The locals will not be welcoming them, I bet.

Not fair on the locals . When we had our lockdown any potential  tourists where stopped and turned around and sent back home .

The best way to knock the virus is to stay home .

• Like 1

Stay safe Les, I'm guessing things will get pretty crappy around you for a while. I'm not sure why they haven't stopped the vacationers for testing and contact tracing. We just had a notice of possible exposure on a domestic flight. We have had a couple of new cases on the island in the last week 😕 after a couple months with nothing. There was a mini spike around Kelowna where my nephew lives, apparently some careless partiers. There has been about 20 per day cases province wide for the last few days. There was also an outbreak at a Neo Natal Intensive Care ward. This is a little disappointing but not a disaster yet. It still sucks for those who have been exposed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Les, have you got a supply of masks for when you do have to go out for any reason? Chemist Warehouse online have boxes of 50 surgical masks for $60 with free delivery. I bought some a coulle of weeks ago just in case.

I have P2 masks, gloves and sanitiser, remember I work for Meals on Wheels. Sometimes I called out to do an urgent delivery, so go into the depot and get the food and have my PPE gear ready.  We have to stay safe, plus I am the Work Health and Safety Rep. All ok, thanks for your concern.

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I just wrap tp around my face.

Have to do something with the 5673 rolls I have left from the great stock up.

😷😷😷😷😷😷😷

I thought you were under the knife today my friend?  BTW I only have 5672 rolls left.

Edited by NSWP

4 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Not fair on the locals . When we had our lockdown any potential  tourists where stopped and turned around and sent back home .

The best way to knock the virus is to stay home .

David...I think our State Govt has been a bit weak, too worried about the economy, like the tourist dollar, which is often a lot of money down here. NZ was very strong on its restrictions and it worked.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Its a total different story. Cruising may start even today if the managements decided that they may deal with the consequences in a long run. The funny thing is that nobody wants to lose its face in the current situation. They might offer like a million way of protecting its passangers but if at least one gets sick it will create a media wave that nobody wants right now 

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

Its a total different story. Cruising may start even today if the managements decided that they may deal with the consequences in a long run. The funny thing is that nobody wants to lose its face in the current situation. They might offer like a million way of protecting its passangers but if at least one gets sick it will create a media wave that nobody wants right now 

I agree, no cruise line want to be the first to re launch a cruise ship that ends up like the Diamond and Ruby.

Edited by NSWP

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have P2 masks, gloves and sanitiser, remember I work for Meals on Wheels. Sometimes I called out to do an urgent delivery, so go into the depot and get the food and have my PPE gear ready.  We have to stay safe, plus I am the Work Health and Safety Rep. All ok, thanks for your concern.

That's good to hear although from what I've read the P2 masks aren't recommended if they have a valve. Stay safe.

8 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

They might find it hard to get passengers. Many people won't want to cruise if either the restrictions or the risks are high. I certainly wouldn't want to cruise if I had to wear a mask everytime I left my cabin, that would not be enjoyable. 

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

They might find it hard to get passengers. Many people won't want to cruise if either the restrictions or the risks are high. I certainly wouldn't want to cruise if I had to wear a mask everytime I left my cabin, that would not be enjoyable. 

This is exactly what I am talking about. Just think about it, the buffet will be closed. Restaurants will be limitied and require pre-booking, you wont be able to leave your cabin without a Mask. I am also sure that there wont be enough concerts or other entertainment ob board to accomodate all the passangers 

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

and don’t forget ..the staff have to come from somewhere and be COVID free .

Cruisign worldwide is planned to start somewhere in the mid Autumn according to some recent reports and forecasters. I doubt that anything extraordinary will happen by this time (even though people are still waiting for a vaccine). I heard news today that Russia had finally tested a working sample of the antivirus on people. Will see when it will be implemented on actualy people. It shouldnt take too long 

14 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Cruisign worldwide is planned to start somewhere in the mid Autumn according to some recent reports and forecasters. I doubt that anything extraordinary will happen by this time (even though people are still waiting for a vaccine). I heard news today that Russia had finally tested a working sample of the antivirus on people. Will see when it will be implemented on actualy people. It shouldnt take too long 

In today's news. Full article here.

"A COVID-19 vaccine developed by scientists at Oxford University is safe and has produced an immune response in early-stage clinical trials in healthy volunteers, preliminary results say.

"However, we need more research before we can confirm the vaccine effectively protects against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) infection, and for how long any protection lasts."

More than 150 potential coronavirus vaccines are in various stages of development around the world, with 23 candidates already being tested in people, according to the World Health Organization."

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

In today's news. Full article here.

"A COVID-19 vaccine developed by scientists at Oxford University is safe and has produced an immune response in early-stage clinical trials in healthy volunteers, preliminary results say.

"However, we need more research before we can confirm the vaccine effectively protects against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) infection, and for how long any protection lasts."

More than 150 potential coronavirus vaccines are in various stages of development around the world, with 23 candidates already being tested in people, according to the World Health Organization."

I was listening to the ABC and they had the dean of Sydney uni pharmacy 

Because Australia has been so successful in containing the virus he didn’t think we will will be a priority for a public immunisation.Places like the America’s will be the first.

Lets have faith in our own research.

I’m thinking that WHO should vaccinate cruise line loyalty programs FIRST.

Say Royal Carribean set up a diamond lounge in the large hospitals with a happy hour and a next cruise desk.

I’ll have a martini and a vaccine and then then book a couple of cruises.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m thinking that WHO should vaccinate cruise line loyalty programs FIRST.

Say Royal Carribean set up a diamond lounge in the large hospitals with a happy hour and a next cruise desk.

I’ll have a martini and a vaccine and then then book a couple of cruises.

I know that you have your tongue firmly planted in cheek Chili but that's not a bad idea. You could flaunt your "status" and cut the line. Although there may be a problem mixing the Martini with the vaccine. Perhaps that could be another "control" group those who are drunk and those who were not.

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:23 AM, By The Bay said:

The locals will not be welcoming them, I bet.

We are not happy here in Port Stephens. The Salamander shopping centre is were we shop. Hopefully, we are okay as we shopped there the day before.

"Symptomatic visitors to a pub in the Hunter and a Port Stephens shopping centre are being urged to seek testing after a man who visited both venues was diagnosed with coronavirus." Source

• Like 1

So the cruise ban is till 17th September.

I’m expecting a announcement in the first couple of weeks of August that it will be extended till the end of the year.

If so we will know for sure about our cruise season.

Any thoughts?

"Believe it or not, cruising is back — and it’s weirder than we expected"  - only a small ship for now

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/first-cruise-ship-resumes-sailing/     From June 5

And this - a LONG article from EATER re cruise ship food options in post covid world   - from a few days ago

https://www.eater.com/2020/6/18/21293233/coronavirus-cruise-ship-dining-food-travel-covid-19-impact

16 hours ago, By The Bay said:

We are not happy here in Port Stephens. The Salamander shopping centre is were we shop. Hopefully, we are okay as we shopped there the day before.

"Symptomatic visitors to a pub in the Hunter and a Port Stephens shopping centre are being urged to seek testing after a man who visited both venues was diagnosed with coronavirus." Source

Port Stephens people...welcome to the Covid19 awareness club, we have it down at Batemans Bay now, place is like a ghost town. Many of the shops, cafes etc, closed.  Stay safe.

Edited by NSWP

On 7/20/2020 at 4:50 PM, Roger88 said:

This is exactly what I am talking about. Just think about it, the buffet will be closed. Restaurants will be limitied and require pre-booking, you wont be able to leave your cabin without a Mask. I am also sure that there wont be enough concerts or other entertainment ob board to accomodate all the passangers 

Not for this little black duck, I would not pay all that money to have to cruise like that.  The cabin service would be stretched.  Good point re entertainment, the show lounges on board cannot fit all the pax in now, even with 2 performances, if every second seat had to be left vacant, it would be a a disaster, as would tendering, tender hold what..120 pax, if they had to reduce that to say 60, many pax would never be able to get off the ship at tender ports.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I heard a comment yesterday that you wont see any cruising or travel ,

as we knew it , for at least 6 years .🛳😢😢🛳

"As we knew it" you mean with the sloppy drunks at the Martini bar? The loungers packed so close together you can't get into them? Or perhaps the pigs at the buffet who pack 4 days worth of food on their plate and leave most of it at the table?

I hope that there will be new protocols that will allow for a pleasant cruise experience with appropriate precautions that in some ways will be better than what we knew. We can't go through all this and end up with the same thing we had before.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1