Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
OzKiwiJJ

Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The Cruise Lines and Travel Agents are just desperate for cash flow to stay alive, i.e. to pay rents, salaries etc. Hence them pushing for cruise deposits.  One does not have to be a financial whiz kid to work that out.

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

 

It's not just unethical, but against the law to sell something that you do not intend to, or are unable to, provide. 

 

While the cruise lines may be willing to operate, if they're not likely to offer what they are selling it is borderline fraud.

We finally agree on something.

 I don’t like agents and I dislike them even more.

Royal Caribbean email flyers are only advertising 2021 cruises.
So why are these hyenas advertising October 2020 cruises??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

Nobody is twisting anyone’s arm to book I don’t think.

Common sense must come into play somewhere along the line.

Cheers Carole 

But Carole  , People are a bit down in the dumps and are gullible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I wish our Federal Government would announce loud and clear that cruise ships can't visit Australia until a date in 2021, which they deem feasible.  Then all the TAs should stop advertising cruises prior to then.  Government has a responsibility to protect consumers from unethical behaviour.  

I think in a week or two boarder force will announce a closure till the end of the year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

But Carole  , People are a bit down in the dumps and are gullible.

And some just want to get out and cruise as shown by the cruises starting up in Europe, Taiwan and Tahiti.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

And some just want to get out and cruise as shown by the cruises starting up in Europe, Taiwan and Tahiti.

Despite 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We made the decision to cancel our January 3rd cruise. Originally we said we would wait until October to make our final decision but I think things are quite clear. We said that we wouldn’t cruise unless a vaccine or cure was available, and I’m keen to be back in a ship when things are safe 😞 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

But Carole  , People are a bit down in the dumps and are gullible.

Sad but true, common sense is not very common.

We have only just started cruising really and have a couple booked (Supposed to be on the Sun drinking a Margarita as I write this) looks like we will have to hit the road again but neither of us want to drive the distances any more so booked a AAT Kings Broome to Darwin at a ridiculous price bu it is what it is.
Cheers Carole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully WA and the NT will have opened their borders by then, Carole. 

 

I'm not booking anything until Australia gets things under control again and borders reopen. We had hope to do a land trip up to Queensland this month, then said maybe October, but I can't even see that happening. We might explore a bit more of NSW instead if the Sydney outbreak is under control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Hopefully WA and the NT will have opened their borders by then, Carole. 

 

I'm not booking anything until Australia gets things under control again and borders reopen. We had hope to do a land trip up to Queensland this month, then said maybe October, but I can't even see that happening. We might explore a bit more of NSW instead if the Sydney outbreak is under control.

Yes got a while before we have to part with to much cash

Cheers Carole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Sad but true, common sense is not very common.

We have only just started cruising really and have a couple booked (Supposed to be on the Sun drinking a Margarita as I write this) looks like we will have to hit the road again but neither of us want to drive the distances any more so booked a AAT Kings Broome to Darwin at a ridiculous price bu it is what it is.
Cheers Carole

Broome to Darwin sounds like a great trip.  When is your trip?  Where do you visit en route?   Are you allowed in WA?   I have just cancelled my planned August fortnight holiday in Darwin today, as NT has banned people from Brisbane.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Hopefully WA and the NT will have opened their borders by then, Carole. 

 

I'm not booking anything until Australia gets things under control again and borders reopen. We had hope to do a land trip up to Queensland this month, then said maybe October, but I can't even see that happening. We might explore a bit more of NSW instead if the Sydney outbreak is under control.

Go west, i have done two trips out to the central west of nsw in the past couple of months.779408825_th(2).jpg.dc0a385c7b53cc6d98046d1218bee286.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Broome to Darwin sounds like a great trip.  When is your trip?  Where do you visit en route?   Are you allowed in WA?   I have just cancelled my planned August fortnight holiday in Darwin today, as NT has banned people from Brisbane.  

Not until June next year so hopefully we may be looking a lot better by then

https://www.aatkings.com/tours/wonders-of-the-kimberley/  hope that’s allowed if not to bad.

Thought N T was opening mid July ?.?this year

Cheers Carole

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We had hope to do a land trip up to Queensland this month, then said maybe October, but I can't even see that happening. We might explore a bit more of NSW instead if the Sydney outbreak is under control.

We are in the same quandary as you. We were planing to visit QLD in October. Looks like we might have to do the NSW road trip instead. Not heading to Sydney, we will take Uncle Les's advice and head west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Go west, i have done two trips out to the central west of nsw in the past couple of months.779408825_th(2).jpg.dc0a385c7b53cc6d98046d1218bee286.jpg

That's one of the options we're considering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Not until June next year so hopefully we may be looking a lot better by then

https://www.aatkings.com/tours/wonders-of-the-kimberley/  hope that’s allowed if not to bad.

Thought N T was opening mid July ?.?this year

Cheers Carole

 

We'll be in big trouble if interstate travel isn't open by June next year.  Sounds like a great bus trip.  

It did open in July, which is why I booked my flights.  However, it later closed its borders to all the hotspot places visited by the two girls, who lied to border control, as well as by the man who get infected from the girls at the restaurant.  He visited South Brisbane suburbs, but they banned the whole of Brisbane.  

If you have the time, try to visit Lombadina/Cape Leveque north of Broome, for a few days prior to your bus trip.  They are magical places, with spectacular scenery, red cliffs, and high tides.  We have stayed at both of these beautiful unique places.

Edited by MMDown Under

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Nobody is twisting anyone’s arm to book I don’t think.

Common sense must come into play somewhere along the line.

Cheers Carole 

 

Except for the cruise line?

 

There's no leave pass for business taking advantage of its power. They're meant to have more knowledge and expertise of the product they sell than the consumer so the expectation for 'common sense' sits with them over the consumer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not looking very promising at present.

Reading about 2 cruises with covid.

1 was an artic cruise, the other was in the pacific, a Ponant i think.

Frustrating reading about imported cases here too. Some from Victoria.

A few have self isolated at home with 7 family members, police had to go and remind 1to get tested, positive and some of the family, quarantined. Another went to 2 schools, both had to be closed.

The qld case direct flight Kabaul to Sydney then to qld. Apparently exempt from isolation. Positive, some doubt he was a consular employee as stated.

Meanwhile Melbourne is locked down with restrictions. 2 planes expected from India into Adelaide. Hopefully they are all checked and protocol followed.

Large crowd at the football tonight reported. 

When will this ever end?  

,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pully8 said:

Not looking very promising at present.

Reading about 2 cruises with covid.

1 was an artic cruise, the other was in the pacific, a Ponant i think.

Frustrating reading about imported cases here too. Some from Victoria.

A few have self isolated at home with 7 family members, police had to go and remind 1to get tested, positive and some of the family, quarantined. Another went to 2 schools, both had to be closed.

The qld case direct flight Kabaul to Sydney then to qld. Apparently exempt from isolation. Positive, some doubt he was a consular employee as stated.

Meanwhile Melbourne is locked down with restrictions. 2 planes expected from India into Adelaide. Hopefully they are all checked and protocol followed.

Large crowd at the football tonight reported. 

When will this ever end?  

,

I think all cruise lines, as well as future passengers, will be following what has happened with the virus on the cruise ships which have started cruising.  

Queensland Premier has put the matter of consul exemption from quarantine on agenda for joint Cabinet discussion.  That is a loophole which needs closing. This case put people at risk on the plane from Sydney to Maroochydore. Strange that the guy drove from Maroochydore to Toowoomba, but maybe he couldn't get on any other flights to Brisbane.

They are reducing the crowd at the football by 1,000 for future games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I think all cruise lines, as well as future passengers, will be following what has happened with the virus on the cruise ships which have started cruising.  

Queensland Premier has put the matter of consul exemption from quarantine on agenda for joint Cabinet discussion.  That is a loophole which needs closing. This case put people at risk on the plane from Sydney to Maroochydore. Strange that the guy drove from Maroochydore to Toowoomba, but maybe he couldn't get on any other flights to Brisbane.

They are reducing the crowd at the football by 1,000 for future games.

Why don't the authorities just cancel the football, ALL codes?  Social distancing is not happening at these sporting venues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Why don't the authorities just cancel the football, ALL codes?  Social distancing is not happening at these sporting venues.

We have now been to a couple of NRL games here in Sydney since restricted 'crowds' we allowed to attend - one at Penrith & one at Parramatta. At these games a great deal of effort has been made by the organisers to keep it safe, with allocated seating, with spacing between groups, distance markers & marshals, constant reminders over PA of the need for social distancing & that you can only leave you allocated seat to use facilities and must return immediately. I have been very conscious of social distancing & being out for non-essential purposes since mid-March, but felt comfortable attending the games, and we will again on Sat night.

The scenes at Sunshine Coast were alarming and some need a swift arse kick over that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pully8 said:

Large crowd at the football tonight reported. 

What match was that? AFL? NRL? I thought AFL crowds were greatly restricted with only family groups allowed to sit together and social distancing between groups. All attendees have to have a reserved seat and the crowd allowed is governed by individual state government rules. 

 

Leigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What match was that? AFL? NRL? I thought AFL crowds were greatly restricted with only family groups allowed to sit together and social distancing between groups. All attendees have to have a reserved seat and the crowd allowed is governed by individual state government rules. 

 

Leigh

Yes, it was, but the crowds on the hill were sitting on the grass.  Family groups sat together and there was social distancing between groups.  However, it looked worse than it was because of the camera angle from the side.  Still there were too many people and football asked Govt to reduce crowd by 1,000 for next match.  I don't know what kind of football, but locals will know. 

Later - NRL at Sunshine Coast. Crowd capacity 6,000.  5,500 there on Sunday.  Now reduced to 5,000 capacity.  Do you southerners with your big stadiums still have grass "hills" at the football?

Edited by MMDown Under

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What match was that? AFL? NRL? I thought AFL crowds were greatly restricted with only family groups allowed to sit together and social distancing between groups. All attendees have to have a reserved seat and the crowd allowed is governed by individual state government rules. 

 

Leigh


Variation from state to state and stadium size.

 

i think there were 26,000 in Perth for the Eagles game.  Stadium size 60,000; max social distancing 30,000. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Docker123 said:


Variation from state to state and stadium size.

 

i think there were 26,000 in Perth for the Eagles game.  Stadium size 60,000; max social distancing 30,000. 

I just looked at some of the crowds at AFL games at Metricon Stadium (Gold Coast) for July and the mainly were under 5000 for a stadium which can hold 25000. For the Gabba which has a capacity of 42000, the numbers attending in July were usually below 5000 and only two above that number - one where just over 10,000 attended and another of 7000. Adelaide Oval has a capacity of 53,000 and during July the largest crowd was 16,727.  The SCG has had very small crowds both AFL and NRL compared to its capacity as has Giants Stadium. So it would seem at most AFL games, the majority which are being held in QLD now that the attendance at games is between 20-25% of the total capacity. All spectators are seated (due to the grounds/stadiums being used). 

 

Leigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...