Cruise Critic Community
Fouremco

FCC Arrived For Cancellation Under CWC Policy

I just received the FCC certificates for DW and I for a cancellation we made on Sunday, March 8. We were 32 days out, so 25% + taxes + port fees refund to cc and 75% FCC.

Other than the fact that each was 25¢ short of the amount we were told we'd receive, all seems in order, but we will wait until the cc return has arrived to see what we actually get compared to what we were promised. Being short a quarter I can live with, but if 25¢ becomes $25 on the cc refund, I'll not be pleased.

The information provided with the certificates leaves a number of unanswered questions. For example, in spite of the verbal assurances that I received at the time of cancellation, I would have liked to have seen specific wording confirming that these FCC's could be used for existing as well as new bookings. The wording of the first bulleted item talks about "bookings made" using the FCC's, which could be interpreted as limiting their use to new bookings.

Can someone explain to me what is meant by "other reimbursement" in bullet 5? The only thing that I can think of is someone being reimbursed under the CWC provisions then turning around and making an insurance claim, but maybe there are other possibilities I've not thought of.

The final bullet is the one with which I have the most concern, as it leaves the door wide open for Celebrity to apply, add or subtract terms and conditions as they see fit. I will be pursuing this with my TA. 

We would like to make you aware of some important information regarding your FCCs:

• Any booking made using the Cruise with Confidence FCC must be used for a sailing that commences on or before December 31, 2021. 
  • If the Cruise With Confidence FCC is not redeemed and sailed on or before December 31, 2021, the certificate will automatically expire and have no value.
  • Future Cruise Credits are per person, per booking, and valid only for the person noted above. FCCs are redeemable towards cruise fare only and are not valid on Complimentary cruises, Incentive bookings, and Charter sailings.
  • All guests are responsible for taxes and fees where applicable.
  • Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to void the FCC Savings amount if the guest named above receives other reimbursement.
  • FCCs are only valid for the cruises on Celebrity Cruises ships, are not transferable, and may not be redeemed for cash.
  • The Cruise with Confidence FCC cannot be redeemed to repurchase the same sailing where the original booking cancelled.
  • Additional terms and conditions apply.

We're glad Cruise with Confidence has given you the flexibility to find the perfect cruise that fits your needs. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I just received the FCC certificates for DW and I for a cancellation we made on Sunday, March 8. We were 32 days out, so 25% + taxes + port fees refund to cc and 75% FCC.

Other than the fact that each was 25¢ short of the amount we were told we'd receive, all seems in order, but we will wait until the cc return has arrived to see what we actually get compared to what we were promised. Being short a quarter I can live with, but if 25¢ becomes $25 on the cc refund, I'll not be pleased.

The information provided with the certificates leaves a number of unanswered questions. For example, in spite of the verbal assurances that I received at the time of cancellation, I would have liked to have seen specific wording confirming that these FCC's could be used for existing as well as new bookings. The wording of the first bulleted item talks about "bookings made" using the FCC's, which could be interpreted as limiting their use to new bookings.

Can someone explain to me what is meant by "other reimbursement" in bullet 5? The only thing that I can think of is someone being reimbursed under the CWC provisions then turning around and making an insurance claim, but maybe there are other possibilities I've not thought of.

The final bullet is the one with which I have the most concern, as it leaves the door wide open for Celebrity to apply, add or subtract terms and conditions as they see fit. I will be pursuing this with my TA. 

We would like to make you aware of some important information regarding your FCCs:

• Any booking made using the Cruise with Confidence FCC must be used for a sailing that commences on or before December 31, 2021. 
  • If the Cruise With Confidence FCC is not redeemed and sailed on or before December 31, 2021, the certificate will automatically expire and have no value.
  • Future Cruise Credits are per person, per booking, and valid only for the person noted above. FCCs are redeemable towards cruise fare only and are not valid on Complimentary cruises, Incentive bookings, and Charter sailings.
  • Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to void the FCC Savings amount if the guest named above receives other reimbursement.
  • FCCs are only valid for the cruises on Celebrity Cruises ships, are not transferable, and may not be redeemed for cash.
  • The Cruise with Confidence FCC cannot be redeemed to repurchase the same sailing where the original booking cancelled.

We're glad Cruise with Confidence has given you the flexibility to find the perfect cruise that fits your needs. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Hmmmm...I don't like the last point 'Additional terms and conditions apply'. Have they pointed you to where the 'Additional terms and conditions' are located for reading?

7 minutes ago, Mytravellove said:

Hmmmm...I don't like the last point 'Additional terms and conditions apply'. Have they pointed you to where the 'Additional terms and conditions' are located for reading?

No, there's nothing in the email, not even a link or phone number. I'll be asking for clarification through my TA.

28 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to void the FCC Savings amount if the guest named above receives other reimbursement.

My guess would be if you had travel insurance and you claimed it as well.

2 minutes ago, oceancrusin said:

Yes, that does seem to be the most logical explanation.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, oceancrusin said:

I  would think that would be travel insurance also.

That was pretty quick turn-around on getting the certificate out.  Guess you missed the onslaught with the cancelling of 50+ cruises.

Edited by jelayne

Posted (edited)

I think this thread should be combined with ongoing thread

There are phone numbers at top of the Certificate but indicates they are for redemption...perhaps they might answer  gen ques as well. We have enough in writing to be secure in our  expectation it will be applied to existing booking,  

Our concern is if our future cruise in Jan 2021 is cancelled, chartered by a group..or who knows!

Edited by hcat

1 minute ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Are you allowed to use this for a cruise you have already booked?

See para 3 of my OP. We've been told "yes" but the FCC doesn't say one way or another.

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

I think this thread should be combined with ongoing thread

I did consider that, but the focus of the other thread seems to be on the different percentages of FCC received and the type and date of cancellation.

I'd like to see the focus of this thread to be on the published T&C accompanying the FCC, in particular the issue of "Other [unspecified] terms and conditions apply."

I suppose we could have one super-thread encompassing all aspect of the impact of COVID-19, but then finding anything become impossible. Better to have narrower focus, IMO, and let the thread die off once it has served its purpose.

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

See para 3 of my OP. We've been told "yes" but the FCC doesn't say one way or another.

Someone on another thread said they were told by their TA that they were allowed to use it on an already booked cruise, but if they applied it, they were going to lose the perks that came with the initial booking. 

People responded to change TAs, but no one ever answered, for sure, whether that type of limitation was one of the "additional terms and conditions."

43 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

People responded to change TAs, but no one ever answered, for sure, whether that type of limitation was one of the "additional terms and conditions."

I believe it was in relation to perks provided by the TA.  When you apply a FCC to a future booking it reduces the cruise fare and most TA's base their perks to the client on the the cruise fare.

38 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Someone on another thread said they were told by their TA that they were allowed to use it on an already booked cruise, but if they applied it, they were going to lose the perks that came with the initial booking. 

That surprises me, as everything I've read says that upon cancellation, you always lose the perks from the cancelled cruise anyway and later pick up any new ones on offer when booking another cruise later. Either the TA or the poster appear to have misunderstood, but Celebrity's penchant for not clearly stating its T&C simply adds to the confusion.

What does this mean??

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe it was in relation to perks provided by the TA.  When you apply a FCC to a future booking it reduces the cruise fare and most TA's base their perks to the client on the the cruise fare.

Ah, saw this after my previous post. Yes, that makes sense. My TA perks are definitely based on price paid, not booking price per se. The TA doesn't charge a cancellation fee, so I guess it's their way of getting something back for their hard work.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

What does this mean??

It means you can't cancel a cruise and then turn around and rebook the same cruise using the FCC. Under normal circumstances, I can't see that many people would want to do it, but consider the following:

I cancelled our April 12 Vancouver-Honolulu cruise and had a refund + FCC. Since then, Celebrity has cancelled a block of cruise up to a couple of days before this one, and is likely to cancel more. Also, Canada had banned cruise ships over 500 crew/passengers until July, so without an exemption to the PVSA in the next couple of weeks, and the embarkation being moved to Seattle (for example), you can pretty much conclude that Celebrity will cancel the cruise.

So, if I could use the FCC, I'd be smart to rebook the cruise, let Celebrity cancel it, then take 125% FCC or 100% refund. Either of these choices would be an improvement over the refund + FCC that I currently have. 

Other than that???

Edited by Fouremco

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It means you can't cancel a cruise and then turn around and rebook the same cruise using the FCC. Under normal circumstances, I can't see that many people would want to do it, but consider the following:

So they mean EXACTLY the same cruise not the same routing. But even that... should they "reactivate" the cruise after cancelling it then why shouldn't the customer be able to rebook it?

People should just take the money and run, then look for a good offer in the future.

19 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

What does this mean??

When the original Cruise with Confidence offer was made, the cruises weren't cancelled. The reason for the policy was to calm everything, and let people know they had until 48 hours before their cruise to cancel and get the FCC. Of course, some people, that were still planning on taking the cruise, noticed that there were cabins opening, and prices were lower. So they wanted to cancel, get the FCC, used it to pay for the same cruise, and maybe get an upgraded cabin, or other benefits. I believe this statement was there to stop, or avoid this practice.

23 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

just curious how you received it - ie e-mail, on-line account attachment, or...?
TIA

48 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

just curious how you received it - ie e-mail, on-line account attachment, or...?
TIA

DW and I each received our FCC separately by email.

33 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

DW and I each received our FCC separately by email.

ok thanks - I'll keep an eye out for my various emails.  Thanks