Oceania’s Ridiculous Loop Hole on Your Refund - not impressed!

Sun Queen II

What a very negative and loaded question...  Wow.   I would say to anyone who has that question directed at them that I simply wouldn't even go there.

IMHO, it is not always that simple.  And, as for myself, I might possibly decide to NOT cruise with Oceania.

I have been witnessed saying, before I had ever considered O, or knew that O was with NCL, that I did not care to ever cruise with NCL.  For these very kinds of reasons.  It is not like this is something new or some kind of knee-jerk emotional reaction.  Not at all.

Somebody said that this seemed like a game of 'chicken'.   Who will give in first.  

I guess I don't think it is okay for a company to set up a situation for customers (vulnerable customers) to play Chicken when lives could be risked.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 2:31 PM, Paulchili said:

I can see both points of view.

If OP has not received the FCC as yet then the "transaction" is not completed and all passengers on the same cancelled cruise should be compensated equally. If the FCC was already given, then it's akin to making a final payment after which changes cannot be made; conversely, before "final payment" changes to fare (in this case compensation) should be allowed.

The issue is that Oceana did not fully disclose the options. They initially only offered FCC. It was on March 6 when they also offered refunds. So they did not fully disclose all the material facts to every cruiser which is fraudulent. They will pay for it though.

1 hour ago, B-2-Bs Best! said:

''Mr.or Ms. EXCITED/Congratulations/Your timing obviously lucked out for you/Not so for many others of us.

We not so fortunate with timing are not being treated fairly. I canceled a cruise about 2 hours before Oceania announced cancellations. Resultant thereof I was denied refund, acquired FCC instead, but at only 100%, not the 125% offered those who didn't cancel themselves.

An added note, when re-booking, the FCC is considered a SAVINGS, not a deposit or payment, and you'll need to make a new cash deposit of $750pp. And, your travel agent, who wasn't protected for commission on the cancellation. will receive little or no commission on the re-book since the FCC is being treated as a SAVINGS, not a payment.

And, for Jan, talk to the BOSS and get this travesty corrected.

I dont think this is the time to talk to anyone at O and complain..Lets wait until things are better and cooler heads prevail..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pedro22 said:

The issue is that Oceana did not fully disclose the options. They initially only offered FCC. It was on March 6 when they also offered refunds. So they did not fully disclose all the material facts to every cruiser which is fraudulent. They will pay for it though.

That is absolutely not true.... Yes they did change their policy as the situation evolved. And if they and another cruise line goes into bankruptcy those cruise credits will do you absolutely no good. They didn't stop the virus they're doing the best they can and your still whole.... You didn't lose anything but you want extra.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

That is absolutely not true.... Yes they did change their policy as the situation evolved. And if they and another cruise line goes into bankruptcy those cruise credits will do you absolutely no good. They didn't stop the virus they're doing the best they can and your still whole.... You didn't lose anything but you want extra.

Plus 1

Jancruz1

And while you all cry because you didn't get what you want stop and think of how many people are joining the unemployment ranks....and more importantly how many people are dying!! Most of us are retired and can afford this lttle hit in the pocket if you can even call it that....why not think of all the less fortunate and those that are sick! IMHO

• Like 4

Just off a Sirena. Cruise embarked on March 8th.since we could not get anything if we canceled, we went on the worst cruise of my life. To those who canceled and got nothing, just be happy that you were smart enough to use good sense and not cruise. Foolishly, we sailed and disembarked today. While nobody on the ship said anyone had the virus, you cannot be sure. There were some people coughing. When we disembarked, there was no health questions or temperature scan. We just showed our passports and off we went. As a result, we will self quarantine for 2 weeks. Just hope we don’t get sick or die. If I had to do it again, I would stay home. Forget the money. 

• Like 4

On 3/17/2020 at 11:56 AM, GeorgesGal said:

By the way, if they had not cancelled, we were ready to head to Miami for sailway tomorrow!

So you were willing to put money ahead of your life? I guess in a lot of cases that's what it comes down to.

36 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

And while you all cry because you didn't get what you want stop and think of how many people are joining the unemployment ranks....and more importantly how many people are dying!! Most of us are retired and can afford this lttle hit in the pocket if you can even call it that....why not think of all the less fortunate and those that are sick! IMHO

Just because we are discussing cruising, doesn't mean we are not sympathetic to all the horrible things going on in this world.  If it bothers you to discuss cruising, go post in a corona virus thread. 

• Like 1

Just now, bbtondo said:

Just because we are discussing cruising, doesn't mean we are not sympathetic to all the horrible things going on in this world.  If it bothers you to discuss cruising, go post in a corona virus thread. 

no I'm interested but I'm not crying because someone made a different decision than I and received something more or less.....In life timing is everything....It's a shame that some just are never happy....it's not that big of a deal especially when you are made whole....be happy your not sick!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eldaradoe said:

no I'm interested but I'm not crying because someone made a different decision than I and received something more or less.....In life timing is everything....It's a shame that some just are never happy....it's not that big of a deal especially when you are made whole....be happy your not sick!

No problem.  another one on my ignore list! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pedro22 said:

Precisely why I do not want to sit with FCC - they could likely go BK!

and hopefully they won't and you can spend your fcc and enjoy yourself.....if they go broke there will be many others in worse shape.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

This is a board focussed on Oceania - what we know is a money grubbing corporate giant who is about to face Bankruptcy and many of us are likely to loose the FCC they duped some us into by not disclosed the credit refund option. This issues occupies about 1% of what i have going on. You don't know the rest of anyone's lives so to sit in judgement is ill informed. My sister is a doctor in NYC and has been working 24 hours around the clock. She has been exposed and is hoping she doesn't get taken out because there will be one less person to help the truly sick and needy.

1 hour ago, Pedro22 said:

We are contacting our lawyer as well.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pedro22 said:

This is a board focussed on Oceania - what we know is a money grubbing corporate giant who is about to face Bankruptcy and many of us are likely to loose the FCC they duped some us into by not disclosed the credit refund option. This issues occupies about 1% of what i have going on. You don't know the rest of anyone's lives so to sit in judgement is ill informed. My sister is a doctor in NYC and has been working 24 hours around the clock. She has been exposed and is hoping she doesn't get taken out because there will be one less person to help the truly sick and needy.

what are you talking about......seriously where does that come in....and who said they were going into bankruptcy,,,,they made a corporate decision and you went with it....SMH

• Haha 1

Just now, Sun Queen II said:

We are contacting our lawyer as well.  

maybe Canadian law is different than US law but I would read the contract before you waste money on a lawyer as this was discussed on the Asia ATW board

This is really not even making sense.

If those FCC's become worthless, no, you are not 'made whole'.

That is what I would call being ripped off.

An FCC that may or not ever be realized is in no way compensation or making one whole.

Hopefully, if any bankruptcy / reorganization happens, and yes it is very possible, the vulnerable customers who are now out good cash money will be the first to get consideration.

No amount of promises or double-talk or wishful thinking here can justify.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, B-2-Bs Best! said:

Oceania's been doing this since inception, and, getting away with it. Says much about them.

RE: port fees.

Not since their inception  in the early years  the fees were broken down

I seem to recall  there was some ta do quite a few years ago in Florida  where  they had to have all in pricing 

so all port fees etc are bundled together

Maybe someone remembers  what it was about

Last week I canceled a flight to Canada from the US for first week in April.  I will receive United's version of FCC.  Now all non-essential flights between the two countries have been put on hold and I missed this refund opportunity.  Should I sue United to get a better deal?   Asking for a friend. 😉 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

Last week I canceled a flight to Canada from the US for first week in April.  I will receive United's version of FCC.  Now all non-essential flights between the two countries have been put on hold and I missed this refund opportunity.  Should I sue United to get a better deal?   Asking for a friend. 😉 

I would 

there has got to be a good  "no fee" lawyer  just waiting for your call 😉

I can't help but feel that O has been pretty conniving in the way they handled the offers of FCC and then cancelled the cruise approximately 7 days later. We might not be able to prognosticate what was going to happen with COVID19 and how it was going to affect the cruise industry, but you can bet your buttons they have experts up the kazoo who do!! To give an early offer to their clients to encourage them to "jump ship" before they would have to give a more meaningful settlement is rather nasty. 

Especially as now they are holding your money.

Especially as now, if you want to book anything, you have to put down a down payment, irregardless of the fact that they are holding money that belongs to you that would more than cover the down payment.

Especially as now, if the cruise you happen to book cost less than the FCC, you will lose the balance of your money as they will not hold it as a "credit" for a future 2nd cruise.

Especially as, I read a post on the "insignia Around the World cruise, Jan8, 2020" Page 55, post#1352, someone commented on Mar4 that they had received an offer of 25% discount on a future cruise and a full refund. I scanned for more details, but couldn't find any. (ie)they were given an offer before we were.

No,  I do not want Oceania to go bankrupt! But I feel that these large corporations have a larger safety net than we realize. (Financial meltdowns 2008 anyone?) And it is naive to feel that our few dollars bear the obligation of their financial survival.

But in the end, I do not want to have a fight that would taint my feelings about my experience onboard and the wonderful crew.

Mia

• Like 1

You know, if you're sitting in the back of the plane being flown by a pilot that has access to all the dials, gauges and meters to which you have no access, it's not easy to second guess the pilot's decisions in real time.  It's much easier to crticize the decisions with 20-20 hindsight.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1