Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
norm2002

Future Cruise Credit

Recommended Posts

Seabourn  just replied to one of my questions. We have a 7/18/30 booked with air. Taking a chance and not cancelling. If we decide to use the book with confidence FCC, the air would be lumped into the cruise fare as an FCC that can be used for cruise fare only . Not being eligible for shield, taxes, airfare, or hotels. Cruise fare only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might add having a current booking, Seabourn has responded to me the same day as I sent in the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case you weren't aware, I was told that if we cancel and take FCC, they WILL refund the amount of port taxes/fees to our credit card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds right. I just don’t think you can use FCC for port fees and taxes on the new cruise.

824E56EB-C7A0-4EF0-A1FA-33EB83E7DD59.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, zelker said:

In case you weren't aware, I was told that if we cancel and take FCC, they WILL refund the amount of port taxes/fees to our credit card. 

Ditto. That said, it's a little over 1 month and I am still waiting 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 12:22 PM, ON cruiser said:

 

Frankly, I am not as cynical as Rols in the above post. Substituting a port(s) does not mean entirely changing the product purchased into something not recognizable. I doubt that Seabourn would insist on that. They may offer it, they may try to make it enticing, but I doubt that, even with the most favourable contractual terms re substituting ports, etc., they can change any cruise that fundamentally, insist that it is "their way or the highway", and make it stick.  

 

 

I'll certainly accept my view is pretty cynical and I hope it doesn't get anywhere near that. However Seabourn did try something not entirely dissimilar a few weeks ago where they changed every aspect of one of the Asia cruises and then tried to strongarm people into sailing it. Now they ended up cancelling that cruise anyway and this was at the start of the COVID outbreak when they were scrambling and possibly not really thinking it through and were just trying to keep sailing. However, they did try it on. 

 

Also I'm thinking .. what happens next. The cruise industry isn't going anywhere for a while. Eventually they will find ways to start sailing again, let's just say it's summer 2020 or something like that for sake of discussion. It seems likely to me that there will still be many restrictions from many countries and they have to put together itineraries which (again for instance) can call only at US ports or only sail around a number of the carribean islands or .. something, I don't know what but the ships will very likely not be going anywhere much like the voyages currently planned. Seabourn isn't going to fill the ships at short notice with non-itineraries so the first thing they are going to try is to persuade people already-booked on certain dates to take the cruise happening on those dates wherever it happens to be going. Noting that already Seabourn is waiting to the last date before cancelling cruises and refunding people, hoping they cancel themselves and take FCC I really don't see it being a huge stretch to imagine they will take the line that the cruise is sailing and only offer FCC if people choose not to go. 

 

Would this be a smart business decision? I don't know it would but currently I feel the cruise lines are looking at cashflow and how to survive the next few months and are not yet concerned about the long-term impact of their actions. 

 

I could be wrong in multiple ways. Things could free up sooner than I think, or by the time cruise lines can sail anywhere at all we'll be at the point that most itineraries can be sailed mostly as currently planned. In the interim however I expect all lines to do everything possible to hang onto cash and push FCC like there's no tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 9:15 AM, wesport said:

Seabourn  just replied to one of my questions. We have a 7/18/30 booked with air. Taking a chance and not cancelling. If we decide to use the book with confidence FCC, the air would be lumped into the cruise fare as an FCC that can be used for cruise fare only . Not being eligible for shield, taxes, airfare, or hotels. Cruise fare only. 

 

The recent notice about the next wave of Seabourn cancellations through May 14, 2020 says this about FlightEase: 

Please note that Seabourn Flight Ease®, Seabourn pre- or post-cruise hotel packages or transfers, prepaid shore excursions and amenities purchased through Seabourn, and taxes, fees, and port expenses will be refunded to the original method of payment used for the original purchase.

That's the case whether Option #1(FCC) or Option #2(refund) is selected.  Maybe it's different if you choose to cancel under Book With Confidence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regard to the new announcement by Seabourn to pause operations for a further 30 days (until May 14), a little comparison is apt. I checked the Royal Caribbean International ("RCI") website. That line proposes the same pause, and same choice of full refund or enhanced (125%) FCC. Yet  RCI makes it clear that, in addition to the pause until May 14, other cruises beyond that date, such as those going to Singapore and Canada, are also cancelled as of now. The same option of a FCC or refund applies to those, even to those beyond the May 14th date.

 

Seabourn still lists on its website various Alaska cruises that, as these involve Canadian ports before July 1 (the date until which such cruises are banned by the Canadian federal government), are just as impossible as the RCI cruises. Yet Seabourn has not yet acknowledged that these cruises too must be and actually de facto are cancelled, with the option of FCC or refund equally applying.

 

Seabourn needs to get on with it, in my opinion, and not trail but at least match, if not lead, the industry in "doing the right thing".

 

As to earlier comments by Rols, I believe it is up to us to be informed consumers and to insist, politely, on our rights as consumers. That means not accepting the "first answer" unless it is one which satisfies.

 

Good luck, all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ON cruiser said:

With regard to the new announcement by Seabourn to pause operations for a further 30 days (until May 14), a little comparison is apt. I checked the Royal Caribbean International ("RCI") website. That line proposes the same pause, and same choice of full refund or enhanced (125%) FCC. Yet  RCI makes it clear that, in addition to the pause until May 14, other cruises beyond that date, such as those going to Singapore and Canada, are also cancelled as of now. The same option of a FCC or refund applies to those, even to those beyond the May 14th date.

 

I wish I was so lucky.

NCL along with Regent & Oceania just announced their "pause" and it is only till May 10. Why couldn't they have chosen the same date as the others did?

My cruise on Oceania is May 13 - so I would have been covered with the other lines but not with Oceania so far. Hate having to wait another 3 weeks or so for final word.

Shoot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One would think, in these unprecedented circumstances that all cruise lines, which belong to the Cruise Line Industry Association (or a name close to that) would coordinate such measures through their association, including issues of refunds, FCC, etc. They should all be on the same page.

 

Certainly, the lines that in this situation offer less options than others will have to wear it with the consumer, going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One scenario that has occurred to me is that Seabourn or more specifically Carnival is waiting to see what/if government is going to bail them out in some way. Once they start to issue even one refund they’ll need to rollout all of them in a systematic way. Waiting to see how their lobbyists fare in DC buys them some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another FCC question. The details state when you use your FCC, you will not receive any of the current promotions. So, if you use it on a future cruise you pay the published fare with no perks. Is that correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, wesport said:

Another FCC question. The details state when you use your FCC, you will not receive any of the current promotions. So, if you use it on a future cruise you pay the published fare with no perks. Is that correct. 

 

I have been trying to interpret that. What I think it means is that any promotions that were applicable to the original booking will not be transferred to the new one but, if there are any promotions offered with your new reservation at the time you make it, they should apply. I may be wrong. Only Seabourn can answer that.

Edited by norm2002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, norm2002 said:

 

I have been trying to interpret that. What I think it means is that any promotions that were applicable to the original booking will not be transferred to the new one but, if there are any promotions offered with your new reservation at the time you make it, they should apply. I may be wrong. Only Seabourn can answer that.

Asked my TA the exact same question and he confirmed exactly what you said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Asked my TA the exact same question and he confirmed exactly what you said.

Good to know this. Just have to wait until they apply it to my club number. Website says two weeks to apply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wesport said:

Good to know this. Just have to wait until they apply it to my club number. Website says two weeks to apply. 

Glad to help and would not hold my breath with the two weeks posted as it actually says approximately two weeks and in our case it has now been 16 days.  Interestingly when we cancelled we go a Seabourn Invoice the same day with our 12% penalty that is supposed to be converted to FCC but, no communications since and at least in our case all of the numbers are in their system so should be able to provide our refund and FCC  extremely quickly but???

 

Our TA got quoted 30 days for our refund and not holding my breath about that either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Glad to help and would not hold my breath with the two weeks posted as it actually says approximately two weeks and in our case it has now been 16 days.  Interestingly when we cancelled we go a Seabourn Invoice the same day with our 12% penalty that is supposed to be converted to FCC but, no communications since and at least in our case all of the numbers are in their system so should be able to provide our refund and FCC  extremely quickly but???

 

Our TA got quoted 30 days for our refund and not holding my breath about that either.

We cancelled our 7/18 on the Encore and also got the FCC for the small nonrefundable amount. We had great Business Class from MIA to BCN also. Funny, four days after we cancelled our cruise,  American cancelled the MIA to BCN route until the end of October. Not really interested in doing connections at this stage of my life, so I guess it worked out for the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are they not refunding that they are giving you guys FCC for?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, wesport said:

We cancelled our 7/18 on the Encore and also got the FCC for the small nonrefundable amount.

 

When did you cancel and had the FCC shown up since your cancellation.  I know what my FCC will be as it will be the penalty identified on the invoice I received on March 23 but, so far have not seen the FCC.

 

10 minutes ago, zelker said:

What are they not refunding that they are giving you guys FCC for?  

Can't be sure but, think Westport is the same as mine.  I was at the 12% cancellation point when I cancelled my 7/25 cruise which I expect to be cancelled but, not yet.  The 12% converts to FCC because the cruise has not been cancelled and the balance of the deposit should be refunded to my credit card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rallydave said:

 

When did you cancel and had the FCC shown up since your cancellation.  I know what my FCC will be as it will be the penalty identified on the invoice I received on March 23 but, so far have not seen the FCC.

 

Can't be sure but, think Westport is the same as mine.  I was at the 12% cancellation point when I cancelled my 7/25 cruise which I expect to be cancelled but, not yet.  The 12% converts to FCC because the cruise has not been cancelled and the balance of the deposit should be refunded to my credit card

It's the 12%.  Around $1900. I only cancelled last Friday. Remaining refund in 60 to 90 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about waiting until Seabourn cancels, but what if they do go, since they have smaller ships and less problems and alter the itinerary. Mostly Spain and Italy. Even if it goes, are all those ports going to be open?  Who knows.  2021 has a similar itinerary in July , August, and September. Would rather go then. No promos yet on any 2021 cruises. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wesport said:

It's the 12%.  Around $1900. I ony cancelled last Friday. Remaining refund in 60 to 90 days. 

Thanks, my. penalty is about $4K.  So you haven't actually gotten the FCC that was promised in approx 2 weeks as yet.  Just the similar invoice to mine showing the penalty?  I was told 30 days for my refund not 60 to 90 days so hope both of us get our cash quickly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...