Cruise Critic Community
St Pete Cruiser

KONINGSDAM SUGGESTION TO SAVE FUEL

With HAL loosing money, along with its investors, and nearly everyone else, I have a suggestion.  Rather than sail all the way around South America, go thru the Panama Canal and be approved by the Canal authorities by removing the life boats which are causing the ship to not be approved for transit.  The lifeboats could be shipped by rail and reloaded on the Pacific side.  Without guests aboard, there should be plenty of life rafts still aboard for the crew.  I know deployment in Seattle must be working crazy and with no assurance of exactly when cruises will resume.  

Assuming you can legally sail without the life boats attached, can't the life boats just follow behind the ship through the canal? 

Sailing around South America must have been a financial decision or canal availability.  The new Panama Canal locks, completed in 2016, can easily fit the Koningsdam with more than 50' in width and 200' in length to spare.

Even the largest cruise ship in the world, RCL's Symphony of the Seas, could fit through those locks.  It couldn't make the canal transit through because it is too tall to fit under the bridge on the west end of the canal.

1 hour ago, AFNavigator said:

Sailing around South America must have been a financial decision or canal availability.  The new Panama Canal locks, completed in 2016, can easily fit the Koningsdam with more than 50' in width and 200' in length to spare.

Even the largest cruise ship in the world, RCL's Symphony of the Seas, could fit through those locks.  It couldn't make the canal transit through because it is too tall to fit under the bridge on the west end of the canal.

The Bridge of the Americas? Didn't realize that. 

7 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

Ah, no, the Koningsdam has been denied due to the lifeboats issue, which is that they stick out too far from the side of the ship. The Canal doesn't wish to be responsible for damage should the lifeboats bump the sides of the locks. That is why the OP suggested removing the lifeboats so the ship could transit.

Well, let's see.  Even carrying zero passengers, the Koningsdam is charged by the Panama Canal per berth, at the "ballast" rate of $120/berth for the post-Panamax locks.  At K's maximum capacity, that works out to about $500,000 as the basic tariff, and add in the tugs, and all the other "extras" involved in a transit, and you would be well over $600k.  Then there is the cost of transporting the lifeboats across.  This would either be by road, or on barges, so another canal transit.

The difference in distance is about 8500 miles, but by slow steaming at 15 knots, she would get to Seattle in around 30 days, killing the shutdown time, and burning about as much in fuel at the reduced speed as they would pay to the Canal.

There is also a segment of the South American cruise that was scheduled to start in Callao Peru on the 16th that could put some passengers on the ship.

21 minutes ago, richwmn said:

There is also a segment of the South American cruise that was scheduled to start in Callao Peru on the 16th that could put some passengers on the ship.

Just watching the morning news.  Peru is closing their international borders so if that was an option, it isn't anymore.  They were interviewing a couple of fellow Canadians who are now stuck and likely going to have to ride things out there. 

1 minute ago, darwinsrule said:

Just watching the morning news.  Peru is closing their international borders so if that was an option, it isn't anymore.  They were interviewing a couple of fellow Canadians who are now stuck and likely going to have to ride things out there. 

This is a situation that is changing daily, almost hourly. 25 days from now everything could be wide open again or we could be locked down even more. Do you have a working crystal ball?

Interesting comments.  With the Alaska season on hold, maybe just leave the Rotterdam on the west coast (where it stopped at PV) and keep the Koningsdam ready for Europe.

The Ryndam is being modified to go thru the Panama Canal with its life boats tucked in, so it would be the easier ship to go to Alaska and even Asia next year.

My crystal ball failed to tell me to convert everything to cash 6 weeks ago, so here I sit pondering what life has changed so much so fast.  Or has it?  Will the worlds 300+ cruise ships all be sent to Alang to be scrapped because all the lines will close?  

30 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Interesting comments.  With the Alaska season on hold, maybe just leave the Rotterdam on the west coast (where it stopped at PV) and keep the Koningsdam ready for Europe.

The Ryndam is being modified to go thru the Panama Canal with its life boats tucked in, so it would be the easier ship to go to Alaska and even Asia next year.

My crystal ball failed to tell me to convert everything to cash 6 weeks ago, so here I sit pondering what life has changed so much so fast.  Or has it?  Will the worlds 300+ cruise ships all be sent to Alang to be scrapped because all the lines will close?  

HAL already has ships assigned to Europe, when and if the cruise season resumes. It wouldn't be easy to just create routes and sell them, and expect people to travel to the new routes quickly, if things clear up. It would be far easier to resume, in progress, the already existing schedule, which has already been heavily sold and planned. Particularly as Koningsdam is scheduled to stay in the Pacific for a couple of years, at least.

Ryndam and N. Statendam have been modified to avoid the Canal issue.

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

This is a situation that is changing daily, almost hourly. 25 days from now everything could be wide open again or we could be locked down even more. Do you have a working crystal ball?

Wish I did, I would have bought Amazon during its IPO.   I am just thankful our final payment isn't until May 31st, hoping that by then we start to see a light at the end of tunnel.  At least Koningsdam will be on the West Coast.  

Hope everyone takes care over the coming weeks.  Do what you can for those in need, take care of your loved ones.  Even if none of our plans for vacation work out, there are still more important things we all need to take care of right now. 

16 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

Assuming you can legally sail without the life boats attached, can't the life boats just follow behind the ship through the canal? 

Not  sure this is possible. Moreover I feel like it might be illegal, I mean cmon! It sounds so illegal. Why would you want to do it in the first place. As far as I am concerned there shouldnt be a problem traveling around south America. Its not like its closed or something. I am into the news lately but all I know is that Europe is experiencing problmes and both the Europe and the US has closed its borders to each other. No effect for the South American though. Maybe Canada is also affected but not S. American thats for sure 

10 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Not  sure this is possible. Moreover I feel like it might be illegal, I mean cmon! It sounds so illegal. Why would you want to do it in the first place. As far as I am concerned there shouldnt be a problem traveling around south America. Its not like its closed or something. I am into the news lately but all I know is that Europe is experiencing problmes and both the Europe and the US has closed its borders to each other. No effect for the South American though. Maybe Canada is also affected but not S. American thats for sure 

Actually not illegal as long as they are not carrying passengers, and the life raft capacity is greater than the crew complement.  A HAL ship just recently did this IIRC with lifeboats stored on the bow, so not usable.

34 minutes ago, Mickb said:

The European season for 2020 will not happen. 

Bingo.

It looks like the Koningsdam is slowly headed around South America, currently headed to Bridgetown, Barbados, at 10 knots.  Maybe to maintain 10 knots with limited AC and other power drawing functions on hold with no guests aboard, K'dam can run on just one engine.  I don't find any cruises listed for K'dam until May 2, so it has 6 weeks to get there.

Meanwhile, Rotterdam has stayed in Puerto Vallarta , so maybe Europe is even worse off than the Alaska season.

Back on February 09 2020 Windsurf did a transit of the canal to Gatun lake and back out.
This was the first time Windsurf had transited the canal.
They had to make special arrangements for it to transit as they had to remove the lifeboats and add life rafts and add a metal hook to the stern so she could be hooked up to the Locomotives.
If you look at the attached photo you can see the davits where the lifeboats are supposed to be.

windsurf.jpg

On 3/19/2020 at 4:53 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

It looks like the Koningsdam is slowly headed around South America, currently headed to Bridgetown, Barbados, at 10 knots.  Maybe to maintain 10 knots with limited AC and other power drawing functions on hold with no guests aboard, K'dam can run on just one engine.  I don't find any cruises listed for K'dam until May 2, so it has 6 weeks to get there.

Meanwhile, Rotterdam has stayed in Puerto Vallarta , so maybe Europe is even worse off than the Alaska season.

While the galleys and laundries will be greatly reduced, and the AC may be turned up a few degrees, they are not going to significantly "reduce the AC" or you will have severe humidity problems, and attendant mold issues.  At 10 knots, they will still be running two diesels, though they may be running only one azipod and letting the other freewheel.

Just checked and see K'dam has left Georgetown, Barbados, and is resuming her reposition around South America with her next port south of Recife, Brazil.  Still doing 10 knots.

On 3/16/2020 at 11:15 PM, AFNavigator said:

The problem with the Koningsdam and the Nieuw Statendam is that the boats are out so far that they obstruct the view of the canal pilots and they require and unobstructed view of the entire ship, with NO obstructions.

To my surprise, the Koningsdam has left Forteleza, Brazil, and is now headed quickly to Cristobal, Panama!  Did someone abort the long trip around South America after getting that far to now go through the Panama Canal after all?  Will they remove the lifeboats as I suggested when I started this thread?

Drydock in Christobal?    At 22.7 kn it is moving along fast, not like the leisurely stroll after leaving FLL. ETA April 10

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Drydock in Christobal?    At 22.7 kn it is moving along fast, not like the leisurely stroll after leaving FLL. ETA April 10

Yes, that is full speed for the Koningsdam making me think something is wrong. With no cruises to be there for in a hurry, why so fast? If they have crew that are need of help, wouldn't they go to Curacao?