Carnival Stock

billco

10 minutes ago, npcl said:

well the 10/15/20 CCL bond that was yielding 3% ytm last week is now selling at 25.36% YTM.  You have junk bonds with lower YTM numbers.

Their dividend won't be paid, or at the very least dropped to very low, they got a lot bigger debtors standing in front before the stock holders!

2 hours ago, billco said:

Color me crazy, but I put a buy in at $8 (CUK). Took about 5 minutes to buy. I look at it as way to support Carnival as Princess has provided me a way to visit many places and have great memories. I want them to survive.

Psst, buying their stock isn't the way you support them.

Booking a cruise and spending money buying tours and drinks and speciality restaurants will be how you most support them when cruising comes back.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Psst, buying their stock isn't the way you support them.

Booking a cruise and spending money buying tours and drinks and speciality restaurants will be how you most support them when cruising comes back.

Oh, I'm a long time Princess supporter. We have three cruises booked this year for 30 days total, which will put me at 31 Princess cruises ($50 loyalty Credit hopefully) and 2 Princess cruises next year. Again hopefully> 

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

Their dividend won't be paid, or at the very least dropped to very low, they got a lot bigger debtors standing in front before the stock holders!

With all your the sky is falling responses since this has started.

You give the impression that you are giddy/happy that CCL is tanking.

Do you own stock? Have you ever taken a Princess cruise.  🤔

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Sad isn't it. $9.32 ☹️

Just 4 weeks ago things looked so good. Who would have thought. 

All I can say is WOW. My guess it not going to stop until it hits about $5.00 or $6.00 I’m getting ready to purchase a little more.

Tony

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2020 at 4:35 PM, bemis12 said:

Selling it merely finalizes the amount of the loss.

Actually tax loss harvesting is a good (IMHO) strategy. I harvested my CCL losses in 1 account (reported loss significantly higher than real loss as I took OBC all along the way) and will reinvest when it hits my limit price in another TYPE of account thus avoiding Wash Rule. If I get it at my limit price it'll take 3 cruises to bring my net investment to $0. I've got 2 booked with 500 OBC. Assuming I won't get any dividends 

Edited by Ombud

I bought shares yesterday at $8.85 and will hope for the best.  At that price it won't take long to recoup our investment as OBC, assuming they continue that benefit.  

I think I know the answer but wasn't able to find definitive info on the stockholder site -- do you get any OBC for cruisetour days?  Or is it just the number of days at sea on the cruise?  I think it's just the cruise days, but wasn't 100% positive.

7 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I bought shares yesterday at $8.85 and will hope for the best.  At that price it won't take long to recoup our investment as OBC, assuming they continue that benefit.  

I think I know the answer but wasn't able to find definitive info on the stockholder site -- do you get any OBC for cruisetour days?  Or is it just the number of days at sea on the cruise?  I think it's just the cruise days, but wasn't 100% positive.

No OBC for cruise tour days.

23 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I'm going to pull at 4 bucks a share, 100 shares that is just the cost of  drinks on the ship, LOL

Don't institutional investors have a rule to not buy at less than $5? Not sure I want back in when they're jumping out

But that's a question for an active trader network not a cruising network.  (Still keeping my limit order @ 3×OBC and 2 of those are TAs but I readily acknowledge that I'm greedy)

Edited by Ombud

36 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Actually tax loss harvesting is a good (IMHO) strategy. I harvested my CCL losses in 1 account (reported loss significantly higher than real loss as I took OBC all along the way) and will reinvest when it hits my limit price in another TYPE of account thus avoiding Wash Rule. 

I suggest you do more research or get professional tax advice based on potential incorrect information you posted.

13 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

I suggest you do more research or get professional tax advice based on potential incorrect information you posted.

Are you saying I cannot sell in a joint brokerage account and repurchase in a Roth without avoiding the wash rule?

Edited to add: or do you mean that I should have subtracted OBC from my initial price lowering it so that my loss is price - OBC - dividends (already reported on 1099DIV) to get to net cost thereby lowering my loss? 😶

Edited by Ombud

55 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Are you saying I cannot sell in a joint brokerage account and repurchase in a Roth without avoiding the wash rule?

That is my understanding of the law. But i don't give tax advice on a public forum so as i said it is best to do your own research or consult a tax professional.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Edited to add: or do you mean that I should have subtracted OBC from my initial price lowering it so that my loss is price - OBC - dividends (already reported on 1099DIV) to get to net cost thereby lowering my loss? 😶

12 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

That is my understanding of the law. But i don't give tax advice on a public forum so as i said it is best to do your own research or consult a tax professional.

a review of (Rev. Rul. 2008-5) might be helpful as a starting point

• Thanks 1

Oops. So I need to repurchase 31 days after sold? Got it. Cancelled limit order and calendaring it after April 15th. Thanks everyone for helping me avoid a potential problem (don't see it recovering in 28 days)

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Oops. So I need to repurchase 31 days after sold? Got it. Cancelled limit order and calendaring it after April 15th. Thanks everyone for helping me avoid a potential problem (don't see it recovering in 28 days)

I don't think you have to worry about the price getting back to $60 without you!

• Haha 1

Boy Carnival Stock has really taken a dive. In December 2019 it was $43 a share. Today it’s $12 a share. This would be a good time to by shares if you’re wanting the stock credit. You only need 100 shares. 

Let’s all hope that things will rebound. 

Tom😎

• Like 1

My wife asked me this morning why I was buying Carnival stock and not NCL stock. We have done 6 NCL cruises and have another one booked for next Spring and don't have their shareholder credit. So, Monday I am buying 100 shares  of NCL stock. It doesn't have all the benefits of of Princess OBC, but enough to make it worthwhile.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:50 AM, Ombud said:

Actually tax loss harvesting is a good (IMHO) strategy. I harvested my CCL losses in 1 account (reported loss significantly higher than real loss as I took OBC all along the way) and will reinvest when it hits my limit price in another TYPE of account thus avoiding Wash Rule.

You cannot avoid the wash sale rules by reinvesting through an IRA instead of an open brokerage account

• Thanks 1