Carnival Stock

billco

4 hours ago, iluvcruzin said:

I bought 100 around $17 when the market tanked years ago.  Decided to pick up some more when it dipped below $9 yesterday.  It eventually will go up in time.

Not sure why posters are changing the topic to daily gas price.  They did the same thing on the RCL board and the topic of stock shifted course.

SELF-QUARANTINE PEOPLE DISCUSSING SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE VIRUS---GAS PRICES ALWAYS INTERESTING.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

It will be a slow process, but if you are a long term investor, the odds look favorable.  This is not without risk, but at $8 a share, it's like buying a lottery ticket.  You will either make a lot of money or they will go bust.  Don't invest more than you can afford to lose.

Exactly.  I've only been investing for about 3 years and I'm self-taught.  One thing I've learned is that buying stock should only be done if you can live without that money.  If I'm not prepared to lose it, I don't invest.  If I make a profit on it, then it's awesome!  It's worked well for me so far.  

• Like 1

I think anything less than $10 is a buy right now.  Though I've only been pulling the trigger when its been in the $8 range.  I can't see Carnival Corp going belly up, perhaps they have to spin off a minor brand or two, but they'll avoid bankruptcy.  Its not just cruise companies either, if you've got the money to spend now is the time to buy any travel company stocks.  United, Southwest, Marriott, and Carnival will all be back.

6 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

SELF-QUARANTINE PEOPLE DISCUSSING SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE VIRUS---GAS PRICES ALWAYS INTERESTING.

I'm not SELF-QUARANTINE I'm Shelter in Place so I can go to the market & outside for exercise (4 mile hike with dog in the hills every day)

I miss cruising & hiking in new places 😔

1 hour ago, resistk said:

I don't see how Carnival is going to survive being on the wrong end of a criminal investigation.  The Australian authorities seem to be claiming Carnival lied and people died.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/sick-crew-member-taken-off-ruby-princess/

I don't think the inquiry in Australia could be classified as "criminal".

Since 19th March when the Ruby Princess docked in Sydney, it has been debated whether the NSW Health Department, or the Federal Border Force OK'ed the disembarkation. Now the Police Commissioner claims the Captain of the Ruby Princess didn't give the NSW government full details of illness on board. There has been a lot of "passing the buck".

BTW, after the ship docked, passengers with flu-like symptoms were swabbed for  covid-19 tests, but the passengers were allowed to go ashore before the test results were returned. Whether it is to cover its back or whatever, the NSW government has now announced that the Police Commissioner will enquire into what happened by examining emails to and from the ship, emails between the two departments and other records. I cannot see this in any way, as "criminal". It is more like "political buck-passing".

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, resistk said:

I don't see how Carnival is going to survive being on the wrong end of a criminal investigation.  The Australian authorities seem to be claiming Carnival lied and people died.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/sick-crew-member-taken-off-ruby-princess/

This is still an inquiry, not yet a criminal investigation. Usually, a public inquiry is carried out by a judge. It is ominous that the Police Commissioner has been chosen...

"But in the past 48 hours, the mood has changed.  Federal Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton accused unspecified cruise lines of “lying” in a radio interview, and now Ms Berejiklian has also cast doubt on the versions of what happened."

The inquiry will have several mandates. For example, to determine areas of responsibility among the governmental departments. What was said when to whom? 

The inquiry can recommend charges if the Captain/Princess lied with regards to their obligations. A police department would then carry out a criminal investigation. Forward the case to the crown prosecution service who would then determine whether to file charges in a court.

It would be difficult to carry out the criminal investigation if the captain and officers are not in Australia and Princess Australia is taking the Fifth!

However, the governments could still shift the blame on Princess, and take reprisals. For example, banning Princess from Australia. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

This is still an inquiry, not yet a criminal investigation. Usually, a public inquiry is carried out by a judge. It is ominous that the Police Commissioner has been chosen...

"But in the past 48 hours, the mood has changed.  Federal Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton accused unspecified cruise lines of “lying” in a radio interview, and now Ms Berejiklian has also cast doubt on the versions of what happened."

The inquiry will have several mandates. For example, to determine areas of responsibility among the governmental departments. What was said when to whom? 

The inquiry can recommend charges if the Captain/Princess lied with regards to their obligations. A police department would then carry out a criminal investigation. Forward the case to the crown prosecution service who would then determine whether to file charges in a court.

It would be difficult to carry out the criminal investigation if the captain and officers are not in Australia and Princess Australia is taking the Fifth!

However, the governments could still shift the blame on Princess, and take reprisals. For example, banning Princess from Australia. 

I don't think it will be a public inquiry. The Premier asked the Police Commissioner "to investigate". Obviously the ship was at sea when the officers were in contact with the NSW Health Department. Several times there has been reference to "emails". These will show whether or not the ship advised that they had ill people on board. BTW, they must have because an ambulance evacuated a woman shortly after the ship docked. The ship did not have test kits so they could not advise whether or not any of the pax had covid-19. The Health Dept must have been alerted to flu-like symptoms on board because they boarded the ship to swab the ill people. I feel this proves the department was told: otherwise they must have had ESP!😁

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel this proves the department was told: otherwise they must have had ESP!😁

Obviously, you have a strong conviction on the matter.

The governments have done research on the matter, and feel that they can proceed in this direction. That's something to think about.

Just remember that Princess Australia may have been involved in the communications between ship and corporate HQ. So, there's a 'paper trail' sitting in PA's office. Then, there's the possibility that they will seize records from the ship's medical center. Much can be made of that.

The bottom line is that Princess will suffer adverse PR, affecting business prospects in the southern hemisphere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Obviously, you have a strong conviction on the matter.

The governments have done research on the matter, and feel that they can proceed in this direction. That's something to think about.

Just remember that Princess Australia may have been involved in the communications between ship and corporate HQ. So, there's a 'paper trail' sitting in PA's office. Then, there's the possibility that they will seize records from the ship's medical center. Much can be made of that.

The bottom line is that Princess will suffer adverse PR, affecting business prospects in the southern hemisphere.

I have watched the Ruby Princess debacle unfolding for 14 days. Today is the first indication I have heard that blame is pointed at the Captain. For most of the 14 days, the head of the Aust Border Force insisted that the NSW Health Department was to blame. The Health Minister said "in hindsight, we should have kept the passengers on the ship". In previous reports, it was stated that emails had passed between the relevant parties - the ship, NSW Health and Border Force.

Princess has taken a bad hit in the PR department that will take years to overcome. We had an much-publicised death on a P&O ship in 2002. It is probably only in the last few years that things have quietened down. People would say "Oh....... I wouldn't go on a cruise ship after the Diane Brimble affair." If anyone investigated the matter, that was a totally irrational reaction. But, the bad PR finally went away, and so it will for Princess, but it will take a long time. At the moment, I think some people are looking for a scapegoat.

• Like 1

An update. Our Current Affairs programme broadcast a segment on the Ruby Princess. They said they had 'acquired' copies of the emails between the ship and the NSW Health Department prior to the ship docking in Sydney at 1am on 19th March. The email from the ship disclosed that there were 13 (I think it was 13) people on board with respiratory symptoms. It listed their names and details. The email stated that the on-board medical centre had taken swabs and that the passengers had tested negative for influenza.

The response from the NSW Health Department was that they judged that the Ruby Princess was low risk for covid and that it was cleared to disembark passengers when it arrived in Sydney.

I wonder if Princess carried out a pre-emptive strike in the PR war. If they did, good on them. 😁With this information in the public domain, it would be rather difficult for the government to claim that either Princess didn't advise the Health Dept of ill pax, or that the Health Dept didn't give authority for passengers to disembark.

• Like 2

I hate to discuss carnival stock in a thread titled ... "Carnival Stock" but...

Posters here have long said "buy the stock for the shareholder OBC".

With the price now, the OBC from two or three longer cruises will cover the the purchase cost.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I hate to discuss carnival stock in a thread titled ... "Carnival Stock" but...

Posters here have long said "buy the stock for the shareholder OBC".

With the price now, the OBC from two or three longer cruises will cover the the purchase cost.

What makes you think Carnival will even keep the OBC for shareholders?  If I was management that would be the first thing I would cut given the company is in dire straits.

Edited by resistk

4 minutes ago, resistk said:

What makes you think Carnival will even keep the OBC for shareholders?  If I was management that would be the first thing I would cut given the company is in dire straits.

Well I reckon they will keep the OBC available to shareholders.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Well I reckon they will keep the OBC available to shareholders.

I just don't see them coming back after these sort of tragedies times 100 worldwide:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/us/costa-luminosa-passengers-ordeal/index.html

How would Carnival Corp. spin this to get people back on the ships?

Edited by resistk

Resist, I don't understand why CCL, RCI, or NCL would need to spin anything to get people back to cruising. Have you ever taken a cruise or are you just a troll? BTW fitting name 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, resistk said:

I just don't see them coming back after these sort of tragedies times 100 worldwide:

You may well be right.

I put $800 on the pass line.

All I can hope for now is free drinks while I wait for the come-out roll...

Bet with your head, not over it ... I think I read that on a billboard in Atlantic City once.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1

It has been suggested on these boards that if Carnival dropped the OBC for share holders that the value of the stock would take a big hit by the many of the stock holders dumping their shares.  I wonder how many stock holders have only the required, for OBC, 100 shares?

Because the OBC basically cost them nothing. It is only used if someone books a cruise which brings cash into the company.  It is more of a marketing program. Not unlike offering a discount to get someone to book.

Unlike dividends and stock buybacks cash does not flow out of the company.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Resist, I don't understand why CCL, RCI, or NCL would need to spin anything to get people back to cruising. Have you ever taken a cruise or are you just a troll? BTW fitting name 

An analyst in an article that is actually rather positive for CCL is projecting CCL revenue to drop 50% in 2020  another 25% in 2021, being flat is 2022 and only start climbing in 2023.

Even here, with people that are heavy cruise users, a fairly significant percentage are indicating that they will not cruise again until a vaccine is available.  Consider the view among those that have not cruised, or only cruised once or twice.  Do you think that they are going to be as ready to book a cruise?  It is those passengers that have driven the growth, filled the ships, and generated cruise line profits.

I wasn't responding to the thread premise just to Resist. I completely agree that some things need to change:

1. Mandatory hand sanitizer every time you enter anywhere food is served

2. No more self service buffet

3. Temperature checks (people lie)

adding: quarantine rooms. If someone turns up sick then they should be immediately sequestered. The new tests only take 5 minutes to process so ships will be able to tell if someone is ill before they leave medical center. Our 1st vaccine won't be tested until September so assume they aren't vaccinated 

Edited by Ombud