Coronavirus symptoms (late December)?

jtwilshire

I was on the Epic Caribbean cruise 12-22-19 thru 12-29-19.  During the cruise I developed symptoms very similar to the coronavirus (terrible dry cough, chills & night sweats, fatigue, fever (but low 99-101), loss of appetite).  I also experienced a few episodes where I had trouble taking deep breaths, which is unusual for me as while I am 57 years old... I am in very good physical shape... run marathons, etc.  While on the cruise I told my wife that I had never experienced something like this before... some strange respiratory sickness. I did not have a runny nose or nasal congestion.  When I got back to the US, I got screened for strep and the flu.... both tests came back negative.  I felt better after about 10 days... but it took a good 3 weeks to get rid of the dry cough.  This was a few weeks before any of us heard of the "coronavirus"... which was starting to ramp up in China.   I am writing this in case someone reads this and experienced the same symptoms I did on the Norwegian Epic during similar timeframe.  While not convinced that I had the coronavirus... I do think there is a chance that I did, or had some other related strain.   Curious if there are others out there that experienced similar symptoms while on that cruise.

Just now, gigito2 said:

What does your PCP say?

I got tested for strep and flu when I got back late December.. both were negative.  I have not contacted my PCP since as I no longer have symptoms.  I'm curious if other cruisers experienced anything similar during same time frame.

13 minutes ago, gigito2 said:

What does your PCP say?

I got tested for strep and flu when I got back late December.. both were negative.  I have not contacted my PCP since as I no longer have symptoms.  I'm curious if other cruisers experienced anything similar during same time frame.

I had something very similar happen to me on our January Panama Canal with similar symptoms. I isolated myself to the cabin. When I got home I was still sick and my doctor tested me for everything - RSV, Flu and about 5 or 6 other respiratory conditions all of which were negative. I was not tested for corona because I did not meet the criteria at that time. I got sick after I had been on board for over a week. My husband came down with it about 1-2 weeks after I did. 

My friend, it could be anything from flue to some deadly virus. Just recently I fell sick at home with temperature and stomach ache. It turned out that are something that caused the temperature. Also you might could have some form of allergy which is also quite symptomatic. In any case, the best way is to visit your doctor or ask a doctor on board to check your status. Dont panic if you experience the symptoms similar to those of the Covid. 

A lot of people are saying the same thing but unless everyone around you got the same illness, going to say no.  The Coronavirus is VERY contagious.  Just look at how it spread  throughout Westchester County in NY from just one man and through the elderly care center in Seattle

Edited by disneylover89

16 minutes ago, jtwilshire said:

I'm glad you're feeling better. 

Still couldn't hurt to check with your MD. 

Not exactly correct to say that everyone else would have gotten sick if you had Covid-19.  Many people have such mild symptoms they don't even realize it. 

Don't know what they would be able to determine at this date tho - unless they were looking to harvest your antibodies, if you have them...

Very wise and responsible of you to check with others.

• Like 1

• There are many, many different viruses that can cause very similar symptoms. Flu test only test for a couple types, and even then they are only  have a sensitivity of 50-90%. Many of these viruses do not respond to antivirals, such as adenovirus, it acts like the flu, but is not influenza. So even if you test negative for the flu, you probably had one of many  flu-like virus or even a strain of flu. The one thing that people need to keep in mind is how fast this virus is spreading, and if it was around last year, we would have known because it would have peaked already. I have had many patients with the flu and many other viruses all winter and I don't believe any of them had Covid19.

It's definitely possible. My co-worker and her husband both believe that what they had in January was the Coronavirus. Of course they were not testing for it back then, but by all accounts of what they had, experienced, and their symptoms...it is quite possible they had this. Let's face it, it's called Covid-19 for a reason. We've seen 18 strains of this in the medical field in the past. Just like all the strains of flu. 

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Did your wife get that particular malady?  If not it was most likely not the Corona.

I saw an interview where a lady from one of the stranded cruise ships (where they apparently tested everyone) and she was positive.  She was older but in extremely good shape. Her husband who had 2 transplants and slightly fragile did not get it. So there goes that theory.

• Like 1

I was on Epic themonth before you I caught cold etcturned into bronchitis ....went to pharmacy in Italy got meds but tooka long while to get better coughed a long time dry cough too ....hmmmm 

i caughtit in France under pouring  rain ..i self medicatedwith cough drops, echinacea , hot teas etc ....hmmmm makes you wonder 

1 minute ago, cruisinmeme said:

I saw an interview where a lady from one of the stranded cruise ships (where they apparently tested everyone) and she was positive.  She was older but in extremely good shape. Her husband who had 2 transplants and slightly fragile did not get it. So there goes that theory.

Glad he didn't get it but that's only one instance.  I doubt that is the norm.  I'll be glad to be wrong but from everything I'm seeing on this disease that seems to be an anomaly. 

16 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

It's definitely possible. My co-worker and her husband both believe that what they had in January was the Coronavirus. Of course they were not testing for it back then, but by all accounts of what they had, experienced, and their symptoms...it is quite possible they had this. Let's face it, it's called Covid-19 for a reason. We've seen 18 strains of this in the medical field in the past. Just like all the strains of flu

No..it's called Covid -19 because 2019 was the first year cases of the disease were seen, not because there were 18 previous strains .

https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/11/disease-caused-by-the-novel-coronavirus-has-name-covid-19/

"In choosing the name, WHO advisers focused simply on the type of virus that causes the disease. Co and Vi come from coronavirus, Tedros explained, with D meaning disease and 19 standing for 2019, the year the first cases were seen."

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

Let's face it, it's called Covid-19 for a reason. We've seen 18 strains of this in the medical field in the past....

Indeed it is, but not as you describe....the 19 means it was discovered in (20)19 on 31st December, to be precise!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No..it's called Covid -19 because 2019 was the first year cases of the disease were seen, not because there were 18 previous strains .

https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/11/disease-caused-by-the-novel-coronavirus-has-name-covid-19/

"In choosing the name, WHO advisers focused simply on the type of virus that causes the disease. Co and Vi come from coronavirus, Tedros explained, with D meaning disease and 19 standing for 2019, the year the first cases were seen."

I've heard from several people in the medical field (doctors and nurses) that this was the 19th strain. So...Dunno.

Either way, we have definitely seen this virus in the past.

3 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

I've heard from several people in the medical field (doctors and nurses) that this was the 19th strain. So...Dunno.

The people you've heard this from are wrong. Tell them to check with WHO, which named the the disease. Being a doctor or nurse doesn't mean you know everything.

No...we haven't seen this in humans prior to the end of 2019.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The people you've heard this from are wrong. Tell them to check with WHO, which named the the disease. Being a doctor or nurse doesn't mean you know everything.

No...we haven't seen this in humans prior to the end of 2019.

I agree...just because someone is a doctor doesn't make them a know it all. I just stated what I heard.

But, you are wrong. Coronavirus was first identified in the 1960s. Since then, seven human-infecting types of coronavirus have been identified, including Covid-19, also known as Wuhan Coronavirus.

That information was just pulled from a reputable health website.

image.png.557d9b23aedcae0af970467d7b31a1d1.png

And confirmed by the CDC website. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

Edited by MrsKC08

37 minutes ago, Minoushka said:

I was on Epic themonth before you I caught cold etcturned into bronchitis ....went to pharmacy in Italy got meds but tooka long while to get better coughed a long time dry cough too ....hmmmm 

i caughtit in France under pouring  rain ..i self medicatedwith cough drops, echinacea , hot teas etc ....hmmmm makes you wonder 

Makes you wonder about what?

21 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

Really, can you cite the research?

Does it really matter the 1st, 8th?  Really the only thing is it's transmission rate among homo-sapiens and its mortality statistics.   

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

COVID-19 is not even the name of the virus, it is the name of the disease caused by the virus, The virus is called SARS-CoV-2.

The history is:

MERS-CoV

SARS-CoV-1

SARS-CoV-2

There are lots of Coronavirus even the four common cold coronaviruses named 229E, NL63, OC43 and HKU1

COVID-19 was indeed named after the year.

SO..................... good news everyone is partially right.

EDIT: This helps explain it

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/novel-coronavirus-china/questions-answers

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

IMO this virus has been in the US since at least Thanksgiving. Too many people have had symptoms, that were mild, negative flu tests, negative strep. MDs just called it a virus, and people were told to treat the symptoms.

• Like 4