FLL Riverside or Hilton Marina

DC1979

Hello everyone

Hope you are all well, and staying safe out there.  Trying to maintain my sanity during these unprecedented times, I am looking at hotels for my cruise in December from Fort Lauderdale.  I am hoping things settle down by then, plus it’s nice to have something to look forward to once we emerge from lockdown!!! 

I have sailed from FLL many times, but usually I rent a car for the weekend and stay in Hollywood as it is a lot cheaper and I’m not so concerned about being beachfront as I will be headed on a cruise anyways!! This time I am doing things a bit different - no car rental, and am traveling with a friend who has never been to Fort Lauderdale. I will be flying down Friday morning for a cruise that departs on Sunday.  For me, I view the Fort Lauderdale part as the start of the vacation, but the cruise is the main event.   I am much more picky about a hotel for a land based trip than I am as a pre-cruise stay. So while I would like some place nice and clean, I also don’t want to spend $500 a night on a room in Fort Lauderdale.  Maybe casual upscale (is that a thing?!?!)

Currently I’m trying to decide between the Riverside Hotel (the executive tower non-balcony room - while a balcony would be nice, I’m not paying $50/night for a balcony!) or the Hilton Marina (intracoastal view room with balcony).  At current pricing, the Riverside would be $110 cheaper for a two night stay.  Between those two properties, which would you choose? I don’t mind paying extra if the Hilton is a significantly better property, but if they are fairly similar I’d rather use the $110 towards a nice dinner or something!!  I’m also not limited to just these - I would be happy to consider another property as well.  

What do you guys think? Thanks for your suggestions! And again please be safe out there!!! 

19 minutes ago, DC1979 said:

Hello everyone

Hope you are all well, and staying safe out there.  Trying to maintain my sanity during these unprecedented times, I am looking at hotels for my cruise in December from Fort Lauderdale.  I am hoping things settle down by then, plus it’s nice to have something to look forward to once we emerge from lockdown!!! 

I have sailed from FLL many times, but usually I rent a car for the weekend and stay in Hollywood as it is a lot cheaper and I’m not so concerned about being beachfront as I will be headed on a cruise anyways!! This time I am doing things a bit different - no car rental, and am traveling with a friend who has never been to Fort Lauderdale. I will be flying down Friday morning for a cruise that departs on Sunday.  For me, I view the Fort Lauderdale part as the start of the vacation, but the cruise is the main event.   I am much more picky about a hotel for a land based trip than I am as a pre-cruise stay. So while I would like some place nice and clean, I also don’t want to spend $500 a night on a room in Fort Lauderdale.  Maybe casual upscale (is that a thing?!?!)

Currently I’m trying to decide between the Riverside Hotel (the executive tower non-balcony room - while a balcony would be nice, I’m not paying $50/night for a balcony!) or the Hilton Marina (intracoastal view room with balcony).  At current pricing, the Riverside would be $110 cheaper for a two night stay.  Between those two properties, which would you choose? I don’t mind paying extra if the Hilton is a significantly better property, but if they are fairly similar I’d rather use the $110 towards a nice dinner or something!!  I’m also not limited to just these - I would be happy to consider another property as well.  

What do you guys think? Thanks for your suggestions! And again please be safe out there!!! 

Riverside, because of access to various restaurants and bars, also consider this a better hotel.

You can always call and see if an upgrade deal can be arranged for a direct booking.

Always good to talk.

• Like 1

Well so far pretty unanimous!!  Looks like the Riverside it is...now I have my fingers crossed that cruises will have resumed by December.  This was supposed to be a vacation week for me...instead I am temporarily unemployed and on lockdown.  So by December I will be totally ready for some beach and sun and relaxation!!

14 hours ago, DC1979 said:

Well so far pretty unanimous!!  Looks like the Riverside it is...now I have my fingers crossed that cruises will have resumed by December.  This was supposed to be a vacation week for me...instead I am temporarily unemployed and on lockdown.  So by December I will be totally ready for some beach and sun and relaxation!!

https://www.stashrewards.com/join?_ga=2.40959969.2119901756.1584639709-176507290.1584639709&_gac=1.48907282.1584639824.EAIaIQobChMIwoT48Yqn6AIVCbLtCh2YAwSFEAAYASAAEgL5afD_BwE

Hotels like to recognise membership.  Always good for potential upgrades