for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

35 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Debbie, I am so sorry about your brother........((((((((hugs to you)))))))))).................

So far, I have slept pretty well on the new bed.  I think I am realizing I love the adjustability!........

Maybe I as I am getting older sleeping on an angle is more comfortable........(I am keeping the

head area raised  a bit rather than all the way down).

thanks Lois, it's been a long time, but when I hear of a shooting on the news, I always think of how there's a family watching the report not knowing that their family member was there.

On a happier note, your bed sounds great!   We have Steve's bed head raised with rolled up beach towels lol, not very classy, but helps with acid reflux, need to order him an adjustable bed :)

about to head out for a run & maybe even a little hike to try & shake out my mopey mood :)

Debbie - I am sorry for your loss of your brother.  Any loss is devastating, but from a mass shooting has to be beyond.

Anita - I did know that AR did not stand for "assault rifle."   I am from a hunting family.  We always went out to try to bag a deer for winter meat.  That's been passed down to my great nieces and nephews now.  So I am not anti-gun.  But, I am for responsible ownership which includes registration and classes and not allowing semi-auomatic or automatic weapons and high-volume magazines to be sold to the general public.  And, like a 72-hour psych hold, I believe firearms should be removed from someone who is reported to be a danger to themselves and others.   And, can someone immediately get an AR-15 pistol with stabilizing arm brace ready to shoot someone like they could grab their handgun?  

After having someone attempt to rob me, I had people ask me why I didn't get a gun. A co-worker even offered to take me to a range to teach me how to use a pistol.  I didn't take them up.  I have my reasons. 

I went ahead and bought the tent tonight!!!  Ended up with a really great deal because I used my 20% member discount on it and applied my minuscule dividend (I bought too much on sale last year, I guess) to the purchase.  Now, I am thinking of a new camping mattress.  The one I'm looking at would cost $179, which blows my mind that I'm willing to pay that much.  But, with my owners' gratuities, I can do it with my tent.  I just had to buy it separately as the discount would have been applied to it and not the tent.   I have to seriously start getting all my camping stuff organized - it's just sitting in a jumble in the living room because I just couldn't do anything with it last summer because I had no energy.  I'm going to have one bada$$ campsite, I think!!!  

Debbie, I too am very sorry about your brother’s untimely death. I can imagine that you and your family miss him a lot.

Anita, I know very little about the various types of guns-thank you for the explanation. As others have expressed, I feel very sad about not only this senseless shooting but all the others as well.

Kat, well you are going to be one happy and comfortable camper. As for the mattress, my thought is that as we age, comfort becomes very important. Besides, you won’t have much fun on your trip if you don’t gat a good night’s sleep!

Lois, speaking of sleeping, sounds like you are really glad you chose that adjustable bed. 

Melody, more snow? I hope a warm up is on the way.

Went to Costco this morning and couldn’t help noticing the difference compared to last year at this time. No mad rush for the TP-in fact no more limit on purchases. Didn’t seem as if anyone was stocking up as if they were  going into hibernation. Also big supplies of things like hand sanitizer in gallon bottles, masks etc.

Tomorrow we meet with our CPA. What fun.😏

Sharon

Debbie, my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother, time doesn’t make it easier. 

Snowing again. Melody

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

Debbie, my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother, time doesn’t make it easier. 

Snowing again. Melody

I've got a nice day, but snow the rest of the week...

Anita - I meant to say your comments were well thought out.  I just have some past experience with gun violence that color my thoughts now.  

Sharon - good luck with the CPA!!!  May you find a wealth of deductions!!!

I have to do a "above and beyond" task for one of the owners today.  Even though it's my day off...  It's not a big thing, but it's right at 3 in the afternoon, which blows going down to the Valley.  Oh well.  I really don't need to go spend a lot of money at Trader Joe's...

OOTD:  What else?  black joggers with my "Alligator Girl" flannel shirt.  Most likely a baseball hat today, too. 

IMG_0795.JPG

First off...I also want to add my condolences Debbie. I've never had anything close to such a tragedy happen so close to home. I can't even. Hugs.

Second...I'd just like to express appreciation to everyone participating and lurking here for the civil discussion in response to my post. It feels like our society and country has forgotten that it's okay for everyone to have unique and differing opinions. We don't all have to agree on every topic. But lately it feels like dissenting opinion is being...punished? persecuted? beaten? IDK...it's all so crazy. And anyway, I just want to share that I'm happy that this space that Kat started for people to talk is open enough to letting voices speak without repercussion for voicing a potentially unpopular opinion. For every negative that people experience there is usually a positive...and I guess I fall into that category because I am personally connected to events where firearms have saved lives. It's a complicated issue.

One last note on the topic...Kat, yes, someone can almost as easily grab an AR style weapon as a handgun. The hand grip for the AR for the shooting hand is EXACTLY like a typical handgun. Your non-dominant hand holds the weapon somewhere along barrel area (I don't know the exact terms). It's not a hinderance for the firearm to be bigger...in some ways it could be easier as there would be more leeway with the grip of the non-dominant hand making it easier to get into position. Proper technique with an AR has a low ready position from which you literally turn the weapon as if on a pivot point, like the hands of a clock and the turn ends when the butt stock hits position on your shoulder. Human bodies have enough compensations that there is a range of places on the shoulder and varying degrees of "hunching" over if necessary but in a defensive stance, as I was taught, the more likely scenario is simply point and shoot where you aren't using sights but are still aiming. People are pretty accurate at pointing at what they aim to point at with their hands when they are looking at the intended target and not their hands. 

Kat...is that alligator shirt manufactured like that? or did someone make that from a tee shirt? It's really well done. Kind of reminds me of the jackets and patches I see at metal festivals. LOL. Some I've seen take a favorite band tee shirt and put that on the back of the jacket and then put the patches all around. Is that stiff at the graphic? Or is that like tee shirt material?

Anything you can do to make camping more comfortable is worth the expense. Especially if you aren't backpacking in and plan to spend a few nights out. 

Hi Ladies, thank you for all the very kind thoughts & words :)  It's an awful way to lose someone, & that's the last I'll say on that.  

Anita, I agree, it's nice having a place where we can all share different views & still be respectful & empathetic....  my gosh the world needs more of that right now.  :)

On some super happy news, about to pick up grandson for first sleepover in oner a year!   

-Debbie

Well after a three week slog I finally am over the latest work hurdles.  I celebrated with DS tonight, we had a pizza from our favorite (and very good) local Neapolitan pizzeria -- it's run by two brothers from Naples, who imported their brick oven from back home...  They have a delightful special on Thursday nights with half price bottles of wine, I splurged on a nice bottle of Verdicchio. 

I also made an appointment to have someone come and give me a quote for redoing my front portico and steps, something I've wanted to do for a while but ... COVID.  My house is small and has a very "cottage" look with a sloping roof that creates a sort of portico/small porch at the front door.  While I like it as it is, it has not been substantially changed since it was built in 1932!  I'd love it if we could figure out a way to make the ceiling sturdy enough to hang a small porch swing....  Right now I have a glider.

We are expecting severe thunderstorms all evening and we have a tornado watch until 2am. It's not that uncommon for us at this time of the year -- beginning of the spring storm season. A colleague of mine had a neighbor's tree come down last night in her backyard pond!

Hope everyone is staying well, active and relatively sane. I have to say knowing that I'll be vaccinated soon has certainly lightened my mood substantially. 😀

On 3/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning, the Mattress was just delivered and I forgot how fun this will be with a new 

adjustable base!😃.   Hopefully I will sleep well tonight👍.   It is a Sealy called Briar Rose.

Hi Lois -- are you happy with the adjustable base you got? If so, do you know the brand?

Good morning Cynthia😃 Yes, happy with the new bed! ..You must have missed it in the post

you quoted----Sealy is the brand. The name of it is "Briar Rose"🙂

Hi girls, I came across this video.........since we have all been away from the water for such

a long time..........

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning Cynthia😃 Yes, happy with the new bed! ..You must have missed it in the post

you quoted----Sealy is the brand. The name of it is "Briar Rose"🙂

Thanks Lois -- sorry if I was not clear. I assumed that the Sealy Briar Rose was the mattress name, but I wondered if the adjustable frame is a different brand?  I see a lot of different options for those when I look online. Is yours also made by Sealy or a different manufacturer?

Happy weekend everyone :)   had a fantastic sleepover with the grandson...  today we are finishing up some landscaping in the back yard....   I don't know it anyone remembers our planter full of zucchini & pumpkins for last year (the one where the squirrels moved in & are their own personal condo/restaurant ;) )   well, we are putting in some "real" plants.... going to try & post before & after photos later :)

-Debbie

Posted (edited)

For some reason, this didn't get posted the other day...

Anita - the AR pistol and rifle do look similar from the trigger point to the end of the barrel.  But, the one shown didn't have a butt stock, but looked more like a velcro brace that was put on the forearm.  In any case...  

The shirt is made like that.   It is super soft flannel and the patch is not a bad stiffness - I do not notice it all.  They also have some embroidered flannel shirts. Comes from a company called Angry Minnow Vintage.  They have some really great shirts done up.  I have 2 more I really want to get, but 1 is out of stock - the red plaid Smokey Bear and then a blue plaid with 2 old ladies playing pool "sometimes you have to break a few balls."  There are more, but I can't spend that much money on plaid shirts!!!  I might get one of the baseball hats, though - one can never have too many baseball hats 😉  They do have Tshirts, but only with vintage beer, gas, or food logos.  No snarky patches.  

I'm going to buy the air mattress when I go to pick up the tent next week.  I want to "test drive" the one I think I want with another one to see which I really do like.   Looks like we are trying to get our girls' trip together June 1-9, so I can front-end and back-end that by camping on my way to/from Denver.  I do have to find out if I need to bring some "city" clothes, though!!!  I could at least pack a pair of jeans and my nice Sundance hat to spiff up.   There's another company that has a website and a brick-and-mortar store here in SLC called Gigi Pip that has some really nice hats.  I keep looking at the Monroe and the Dakota.  My Sundance hat looks a lot like the Emma - I wonder if they made them for Sundance...  

OOTD: at work, so my gray/olive Woolx leggings and my Natural Life long acid-dye Sweatshirt.  It's snowing again, so I really didn't care much what I put on...  

Edited by slidergirl

OK.  Boss is not here today and we have ZERO checkins today, so we're thoroughly bored.    2 weeks left - our last day is April 11.  As of today, we only have 9 arrivals left for the season and 6 of those are owners or friends of owners.  It's going to be an interesting time!!!

Hey, ALERT!!!!!  If any of you were thinking of new luggage, Away is having a flash sale until March 30!!!!!  I was soooo tempted to get the carryon - $156.  But, I have so much stuff that I just can't justify it.  But I thought some of you might in interested.  

It's a bluebird day up here, with the temp getting up to the mid 40s.  I wore a sleeveless Tshirt so I can maybe steal a little time out on the patio here...

OOTD:  a nice mint green Cotopaxi sleeveless Tshirt, another Athleta wrap (one from years ago) and my black Woolx joggers.  To be sassy, I'm wearing my Chucks...

Cynthia - stay safe out there!!!

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Hey, ALERT!!!!!  If any of you were thinking of new luggage, Away is having a flash sale until March 30!!!!!  I was soooo tempted to get the carryon - $156.  But, I have so much stuff that I just can't justify it.  But I thought some of you might in interested. 

I need more luggage like I need a hole in my head but I am always looking nonetheless. Is Away good?  I have a Victorinox 24" bag that I love for combined cruise/land adventures. Big enough to fit everything I need, has two sturdy (treaded) wheels, not four, and is narrow enough to roll down train aisles. But it's getting a little beat up and I don't like the newer version as much. The wheels look less sturdy, for one thing...

58 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I need more luggage like I need a hole in my head but I am always looking nonetheless. Is Away good?  I have a Victorinox 24" bag that I love for combined cruise/land adventures. Big enough to fit everything I need, has two sturdy (treaded) wheels, not four, and is narrow enough to roll down train aisles. But it's getting a little beat up and I don't like the newer version as much. The wheels look less sturdy, for one thing...

When I was working at the last 2 hotels, I saw quite a bit of Away luggage.  It all looked in good condition when I saw it.   You'll have to look up reviews.  It always piqued my interest, but I couldn't see spending the money.  I'm still in love with my Osprey Sojourn 25" - it's still easy to fit overhead on the train at 25Hx14Wx14D.   And, 2 great all-terrain wheels.  and backpack straps if I need them (used twice in Africa).  It's rolled all over Trenitalia.  It was money well spent 10 years ago.   It's $320 now...

Hi girls, I have some fun news.......a couple of things actually.  I got a new light fixture (over 

the dining room table). I don't want to call it a Chandelier because I always think of them as

"fancy".  This one is very cool.  It is iron but lightweight and is open with the 3 bulbs coming down in the middle.

Got it at local lamp store and had an electrician come to install it already🙂

It is not "dark" like old fashioned iron but almost like a light gunmetal. Hard to explain but I 

love it.🙂 It actually reminds me of something in orbit LOL........it is definitely

modern.

And my other news, I am going to Chicago with a couple of friends at the end of June!😀 Just

for a long weekend but it will be fun to go away!  I have never been there but they have so they

know all the good places to go and visit and eat of course😃

I should have also said, it is sort of in the shape of a sphere.......I have been trying to find a 

picture of it to post but I bought the one on the floor (it was the last one in stock!). So when I 

checked the store's website I cannot seem to find it. Oh well........

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, I have some fun news.......a couple of things actually.  I got a new light fixture (over 

the dining room table). I don't want to call it a Chandelier because I always think of them as

"fancy".  This one is very cool.  It is iron but lightweight and is open with the 3 bulbs coming down in the middle.

Got it at local lamp store and had an electrician come to install it already🙂

It is not "dark" like old fashioned iron but almost like a light gunmetal. Hard to explain but I 

love it.🙂 It actually reminds me of something in orbit LOL........it is definitely

modern.

And my other news, I am going to Chicago with a couple of friends at the end of June!😀 Just

for a long weekend but it will be fun to go away!  I have never been there but they have so they

know all the good places to go and visit and eat of course😃

Love Chicago, would not want to live there but great place to visit!  Michigan Ave is so much fun to walk along, lots of shops, restaurants, bars, etc. I love the Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry.  You should have an amazing time!  And June should be a good time to go, not too hot or humid!

Sherri🙂

Lois, congrats on the new light fixture (sounds really cool looking) & on your Chicago trip... oh my gosh, Sherri is right,  the best restaurants are there :)

Kat congrats on your upcoming ladies camping trip :)    I seem to remember that last year you had tickets for a concert in Los Angeles...  I've heard rumors that outdoor concerts may start back up in a month or two...   did they refund you or just a raincheck?  & thanks for the heads up on the away sale,  I have one carry on that I bought a couple of years ago that I am not happy with, would love a bag with all spinner wheels.

I am super sore & tired, spent the entire day gardening...  put in a camilla next to our patio, & some trees in the planter that runs between our yard & driveway... for the camellia, I had to basically dig out all the dirt in the small planter, & condition the soil with peat moss & pea gravel for drainage...hard work but it looks great ;)

I didn't really do a before, but if anyone remembers for last year I had zucchini planted & it was a disaster ;)

IMG_4240.thumb.JPG.54c579d57f9c955bef098b12f416fe95.JPG

IMG_4234.thumb.JPG.695160a9fce18ed8b73adf5eca8be3a0.JPG

not the best photos, but you get the idea, the little trees we planted will have an open, airy look & they have grayish green leaves,  when the wind blows (which is almost always here)  they make a gentle rustling noise, very peaceful :)

-Debbie

Happy Passover & Holy Week to everyone. 

Those tornadoes, so much worse than a snowstorm. They terrify me