Jump to content

for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined


slidergirl
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Anyone want to donate to the "Kat needs to cruise Alaska" fund???    See, you all got me thinking to dive into my retirement money and go for $2000 - inside cabin,  hotel pre/post, dinner in Seattle at Elliott's again for oysters...

 

Convince me I need to do this...

Maybe I could just spend a few days in Seattle and see and say "hi" to Cynthia and Lois and Debbie...

 

I was thinking of Denver, staying at the Kimpton there and going to the Van Gogh exhibit, but too darn hot.  Plus if my friend out I came to Denver and didn't stay with her (no A/C), she'd get mad.

 

Or, I just need the hamster wheel in my brain to stop!

You can’t take it with you…make some memories

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, awhfy said:

You can’t take it with you…make some memories

That is my philosophy and the pandemic has only enhanced it!😂

 

Sherri🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sjb317 said:

That is my philosophy and the pandemic has only enhanced it!😂

 

Sherri🙂

I’d have booked Equinox with you but airfare was twice the cruise. I need to move back to FL!  I’m looking forward to our Galveston stay & cruise on Royal’s Liberty in October

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, awhfy said:

I’d have booked Equinox with you but airfare was twice the cruise. I need to move back to FL!  I’m looking forward to our Galveston stay & cruise on Royal’s Liberty in October

That was one of our reasons for making the move to Florida!  😂
 

Liberty is a fun ship, we did a TA on her several years ago.  You will have a great cruise!

 

Sherri🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

That was one of our reasons for making the move to Florida!  😂
 

Liberty is a fun ship, we did a TA on her several years ago.  You will have a great cruise!

 

Sherri🙂

We’ve been on her 4 times, nice ship. It’s going to be our daughter’s first cruise, her husband is so happy they’re going. We were going to be on it with several other friends, but they’ve all cancelled (couple from Europe can’t travel) & the other couples won’t travel. We prefer Celebrity (Royal nickels & dimes too much) Melody

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning girls🙂 I decided to go through clothes this morning for Alaska. I know it is all about layering but I needed to at least try on multiple pairs of pants to se what fit the best for this cruise.

Daytime to Alaska is waaayyyyyyy different than Greece LOL.  I found a pair of Ponte Knit gray slacks in my closet that fit beautifully and can be daytime or evening pants!......I looked on the label and I know I got them on QVC so I went to their website and ordered another pair in black. They really feel like a very high end knit......if it was winter, I would have kept them on today LOL.

 

Then I tried on about 6 pair of other pants......3 didn't work as well.......3 did. Now I am in the middle of doing laundry of some long sleeved tops......they are all soft cotton and should work well for daytime.

(Pullovers, different colors, lightweight).   I forgot Alaska will take some extra thought LOL

 

And I have a question please......what shoes are you Alaska cruisers taking with you? Really the question is for daytime.......evenings I am good with what I am bringing. Just wondering about the days.......it has been a long, long time since I sailed to Alaska.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi again, I was looking through "Shoe Threads"...........Kat, I am guessing you might tell me Jambu's would work for Alaska😃

Well, IF I go,  I'll be taking one of my pair of Jambu's.   I had my one pair on when it started pouring rain in Rome - yes, my feet got wet, but it did feel sooo good.   I've used them as my "walking around all day" shoes in Rome, Florence, Barcelona, Honolulu, etc.   I'd wear the Jambu's in Alaska during the day if it's a nice day - they can stand a good walking about.  And, I have no trouble wearing them as my "evening shoes."  But, knowing it rains in AK in the summer, I'd also take my waterproof lightweight hiking boots.  I'd rather take my hiking shoes, but, after falling in a creek with them on, I know for sure they aren't waterproof!!  The mesh vents on them should have been a giveaway 😉

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for your reply😀no hiking boots for me.

Not even tie-dye???  

I do need to buy myself a pair of waterproof hiking shoes one of these days, though.  I've got to go up to the outlet mall and see what the Merrell store has.   Walking around in the woods for 2 days in wet hiking shoes was not fun - would have been better in Jambu's 😷

 

IMG_0672.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning girls🙂 I decided to go through clothes this morning for Alaska. I know it is all about layering but I needed to at least try on multiple pairs of pants to se what fit the best for this cruise.

Daytime to Alaska is waaayyyyyyy different than Greece LOL.  I found a pair of Ponte Knit gray slacks in my closet that fit beautifully and can be daytime or evening pants!......I looked on the label and I know I got them on QVC so I went to their website and ordered another pair in black. They really feel like a very high end knit......if it was winter, I would have kept them on today LOL.

 

Then I tried on about 6 pair of other pants......3 didn't work as well.......3 did. Now I am in the middle of doing laundry of some long sleeved tops......they are all soft cotton and should work well for daytime.

(Pullovers, different colors, lightweight).   I forgot Alaska will take some extra thought LOL

 

And I have a question please......what shoes are you Alaska cruisers taking with you? Really the question is for daytime.......evenings I am good with what I am bringing. Just wondering about the days.......it has been a long, long time since I sailed to Alaska.

 

 

Lois, I plan on taking my running shoes (just nike fly knit ) &  boots.... clothing wise, I have layers of a base of longer tank tops, long sleeved tees, & a puffer vest... also have packable waterproof rainjacket w/hood....  they were great in Iceland & Scotland when we wanted to get up close to waterfalls (& in actual rain, 😉 )

 

Evenings...  just don't know...  I've hear Alaska is a lot more casual in evenings...will probably take a long silky skirt & a couple of sleeveless tops, & maybe a couple of casual dresses...  

 

For DH, it's pretty easy,  black hiking pants in the day (or shorts if it's warm) light layers on top...

 

I'm thinking I will take a day outfit of shorts & long sleeved linen top in case we have a warm spell. 

 

We get a few free bags of laundry which certainly helps!

 

well, break over, & back to work 🙂

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would think that I would pack just like I do for a camping trip, but toss in something to wear in the evening.  If I took my black hiking/camping/work pants, I could use them for evening!   My biggest problem would be deciding which ball hat to take 😉

 

I'd even bring my headlamp because you never know when you're going to have to maneuver in the dark.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Not even tie-dye???  

I do need to buy myself a pair of waterproof hiking shoes one of these days, though.  I've got to go up to the outlet mall and see what the Merrell store has.   Walking around in the woods for 2 days in wet hiking shoes was not fun - would have been better in Jambu's 😷

 

IMG_0672.JPG

Very cute🙂but I would never wear them here at home so it would really be a total waste of $$.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi girls,🙂 I don't run LOL......but I decided to go to DSW and they had a very lightweight pair of New Balance on the clearance rack! Oh my, are they comfortable👍.......so I got them and will use them for daytime. They are straight black which I really prefer. So many of them have white bottoms and I just don't really like that........these will do great. They are not heavy and will be great to pack.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi again, I found my shoes on the DSW website and then clicked on the reviews. WOW......tons of 5 stars and many from gals who are not runners. Just that they are comfy and fit well👍.

They are classified as a running shoe but I will be walking....and like I mentioned, these are really lighweight too.🙂 they might look heavy but they aren't!

 

635 V2 Lightweight Running Shoe - Women's

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning girls🙂 I decided to go through clothes this morning for Alaska. I know it is all about layering but I needed to at least try on multiple pairs of pants to se what fit the best for this cruise.

Daytime to Alaska is waaayyyyyyy different than Greece LOL.  I found a pair of Ponte Knit gray slacks in my closet that fit beautifully and can be daytime or evening pants!......I looked on the label and I know I got them on QVC so I went to their website and ordered another pair in black. They really feel like a very high end knit......if it was winter, I would have kept them on today LOL.

 

Then I tried on about 6 pair of other pants......3 didn't work as well.......3 did. Now I am in the middle of doing laundry of some long sleeved tops......they are all soft cotton and should work well for daytime.

(Pullovers, different colors, lightweight).   I forgot Alaska will take some extra thought LOL

 

And I have a question please......what shoes are you Alaska cruisers taking with you? Really the question is for daytime.......evenings I am good with what I am bringing. Just wondering about the days.......it has been a long, long time since I sailed to Alaska.

 

 

 

For daytime I'm going to try to coordinate everything around navy rather than black. Mainly because most of the casual wear I have right now is navy. Black isn't as popular as it was a few years ago.... 

 

I have a pair of Columbia heavier weight sport knit pants in navy, as well a lighter weight pair of long capris, both of which wash/dry well and dry quickly if they get wet. I will also take one pair of more casual french-terry knit navy pants for lounging around the ship, and one pair of either Eileen Fisher or J Jill navy pants for traveling and possibly for dinner on a casual evening.

 

To go with these, a variety of t-shirts (long sleeved, short sleeved, 3/4 sleeved) in coordinating colors. I may bring one lightweight printed wrap-style cardigan that goes with navy.

 

I have a navy fleece LLBean jacket, lightweight, and a lightweight rain jacket in more of a turquoise blue with a hood. I can layer these if needed, e.g., the day we cruise the glacier.  Or use each on its own.

 

For evening will stick with my usual black pants, black skirt & some nice tops. 

 

Daytime shoes -- I will bring a pair of slip-on loafers in navy (similar to docksiders) and also will bring a pair of my trusted Abeo walking shoes for days with more walking. They are not truly waterproofed, but I have used a waterproof spray on them several times and it keeps them fairly dry. Plus my dressy black flats for evenings.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls,🙂 I don't run LOL......but I decided to go to DSW and they had a very lightweight pair of New Balance on the clearance rack! Oh my, are they comfortable👍.......so I got them and will use them for daytime. They are straight black which I really prefer. So many of them have white bottoms and I just don't really like that........these will do great. They are not heavy and will be great to pack.

 

 

Nice purchase!!  Now, see if you can find some spray-on waterproofing and do them.  Usually it's either Scotchguard or Nikwax - at Walmart or Target  That will help even more to make them good to use in Alaska.

Yeah I know my boots wouldn't be "in style" in JAX.  Up here, they're useful and colorful.  A nice change from the usual tan or brown boots and they aren't "clunky" and they are really lightweight.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cynthia,😃 I had to smile when you said black is not as popular as it once was? In my book, it is always popular😉..I totally forgot about the joggers I have.......one black LOL......one a mauvy/lavender color. I will bring them for daytime! They take up so much less space than "regular pants"...which I will still pack but not as many!  But the joggers are so comfy......I wore a pair on the flight to Athens.

 

Oh, Debbie,  see below....my review from the Greece Cruise (sort of a review)

 

Kat, thanks for the tip on the shoes.......I will check out Target.

 

Here is the link to my review.....figured I could copy/paste it here.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Cynthia,😃 I had to smile when you said black is not as popular as it once was? In my book, it is always popular😉..I totally forgot about the joggers I have.......one black LOL......one a mauvy/lavender color. I will bring them for daytime! They take up so much less space than "regular pants"...which I will still pack but not as many!  But the joggers are so comfy......I wore a pair on the flight to Athens.

 

Oh, Debbie,  see below....my review from the Greece Cruise (sort of a review)

 

Kat, thanks for the tip on the shoes.......I will check out Target.

 

Here is the link to my review.....figured I could copy/paste it here.

 

 

thank you !   Can't wait to have time to read it !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lois, definitely waterproof those sneakers. The spray really does work pretty well. I’d also pack a couple pair of Smartwool socks, a pair of windproof gloves/mittens, a beanie warm hat, a vest & a hooded waterproof jacket that can be worn over the vest.  Light layers are more comfy than heavy ones. I’d also bring a sling type backpack to shove all those things into in case it’s warm. Enjoy. Melody 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Lois, definitely waterproof those sneakers. The spray really does work pretty well. I’d also pack a couple pair of Smartwool socks, a pair of windproof gloves/mittens, a beanie warm hat, a vest & a hooded waterproof jacket that can be worn over the vest.  Light layers are more comfy than heavy ones. I’d also bring a sling type backpack to shove all those things into in case it’s warm. Enjoy. Melody 

Hi Melody, thanks for all the tips. 🙂I have been to Alaska before at least 3 times but I don't plan on buying a bunch of new things for this trip. The shoes, yes.......but as for mittens/gloves? I will never wear them again. And my jacket has pockets......yes, it is lined and will do well in this climate. Will decide about a vest, but I doubt it. I know it is all about the layering. And I doubt I will buy a new backpack......have some time to decide. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, thanks for all the tips. 🙂I have been to Alaska before at least 3 times but I don't plan on buying a bunch of new things for this trip. The shoes, yes.......but as for mittens/gloves? I will never wear them again. And my jacket has pockets......yes, it is lined and will do well in this climate. Will decide about a vest, but I doubt it. I know it is all about the layering. And I doubt I will buy a new backpack......have some time to decide. 

Lois - you never know about the mittens/gloves:  We're getting sweltering heat here, you all may get freezing cold down there this winter 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Melody - it's easy for us to pack for Alaska - we wear all that "Alaska-type" stuff in our regular life.   The only thing that I'd take that I haven't worn at home is my Patagonia vest - bought it at REI with my other stuff at the last sale but it was never cool enough to wear it yet when I've been camping!  It's a cool knit instead of nylon/down/microfill.   I can wear it at work this Winter.

 

As for that daypack - man, I'd have a hard time deciding which one to take.  I'm a daypack hoarder!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Lois - you never know about the mittens/gloves:  We're getting sweltering heat here, you all may get freezing cold down there this winter 😉

Hi Kat, we have had freezing days in the winters here. I am in the northern part of the state. But I still don't wear gloves/mittens. That is just me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, we have had freezing days in the winters here. I am in the northern part of the state. But I still don't wear gloves/mittens. That is just me.

I don't wear them here, either, unless I'm out shoveling snow or being the ski valet at work.   I'm always looking for a rationale for buying something!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...