for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

On 4/2/2020 at 1:34 AM, ger_77 said:

I'm jealous; we had another major snowfall yesterday morning - thick, wet, heart-attack snow.  This morning we woke up to ridiculous cold wind, bringing the wind chill temperature to -27C.   I'm anxiously waiting for the glaciers to recede from the back yard, so we can see green grass again.  Unfortunately that won't be happening for a while, but you play the hand you're dealt when you live on the "frozen tundra"!  LOL

Stay well, let's keep flattening the curve.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Wow! And I envy You! I love the North and generally when it's snowing and cold❄️. I wish I lived in Canada, but I would love to go there ^_^

I forgot to share that I’ve been doing this each time I wash my hair...

After washing, I wrap in a microfiber towel until hair is just damp. While waiting, I put on a facial mask and go about my business at home (this totally does not work if you have any video meetings!!!!).

Then I rinse off mask and apply my moisturizer. For the hair: I apply an oil and a little bit of styling product (this is a good time to use up products or samples that have been collecting; maybe you paid a good bit for it but it’s not your favorite but for just around the house, it is likely just fine!). I then roll my hair in Velcro rollers and let it dry naturally though you could use a dryer if so inclined. For those of you with short hair, you could just put a few on the top and sides of your head, leaving the shorter hair to dry naturally.

It feels so nice when the curlers come out later showing all the curls! And I like having my hair in the curlers too, while it’s drying, because it feels like I’m doing something special for myself. I think DH appreciates not having to look at either slicked-back-in-a-ponytail hair or just-plain-frizzy-dried-on-its-own-hair...and I know I like seeing myself in the curls too!

• Like 1

Good afternoon, sounds like you have a plan that works for you and that is a great thing:classic_smile:...…...I keep my hair

very short (needs a cut actually but I will wait till next month) and so I can't remember the last time I ever owned

rollers. Don't they hurt? Maybe I just remember rollers when I was a kid (I didn't wear them but I do remember

my middle sister did.)..…...they were these BIG things that always looked painful (to me anyway).

Hi girls, well, now they are recommending masks if you go out...…..I know many folks already wore them

but I am not one of them. I did find 2 scarves and I guess I can use them.  They are silk, one is turquoise and

the other is a purple.  My problem is---I am not good at getting it around my face:classic_blink:.....and I really didn't want to

buy bandana's....guess I will have to figure it out the next time I go grocery shopping.:classic_rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, well, now they are recommending masks if you go out...…..I know many folks already wore them

but I am not one of them. I did find 2 scarves and I guess I can use them.  They are silk, one is turquoise and

the other is a purple.  My problem is---I am not good at getting it around my face:classic_blink:.....and I really didn't want to

buy bandana's....guess I will have to figure it out the next time I go grocery shopping.:classic_rolleyes:

Yes, we're under the same orders here...  since I'll only go out every few weeks to get meds I won't need them much but not very comfortable.  I didn't think about just using a scarf,  seems like it would be less constrictive.

I had to go out yesterday to pick up meds for DH, & it was my first "face mask" day.  Had a small stack of the ones that the Dr. gave to us a little over 3 weeks ago we went in to get breathing checks, they are just the thin papery type....  not comfortable ( at least for me)    

However, when I got home, a coworker who sews had dropped off some super cute masks she made for us...  I'll try & post some pics tomorrow, she recommended that we wash & iron them before wearing or touching because she's been out & about. What a nice surprise that was :)

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 6:39 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Another mood lifter (to stay on-topic): I ordered a few new casual clothes from JJill last weekend when they had a great flash sale and they arrived today. 

Various flash sales are killing my wallet, but I figure I'm doing my part to keep the economy afloat. 😉

• Like 1

regarding clothing purchases, I did give in & finally ordered the Vuori joggers i've had my eye on for a while...  an Instagram blogger had a 40% off coupon code...  I've still never paid that much before for what are really glorified sweat pants, but they just arrived & I am in love!  super, super soft & light weight,  the are slightly fitted so they are not sloppy looking...  if I ever get to travel again, these might be my new airport pants.  :)

• Like 1

I believe the whole scarf wearing recommendations are coming from the idea that so many are asymptomatic and still spreading the virus...wearing the scarf is one of the best protections to help prevent those that are contagious from spreading the virus. I was doing a bit of research to see about ways to wear a scarf for sun protection a while back...and if you look that up...there are videos that are out there, intended for that purpose, that can help you transform a scarf into a face mask. It may be a bit too reminiscent of certain religions for some? But this was the simplest video I had found when doing the sun protection research:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I believe the whole scarf wearing recommendations are coming from the idea that so many are asymptomatic and still spreading the virus...wearing the scarf is one of the best protections to help prevent those that are contagious from spreading the virus. I was doing a bit of research to see about ways to wear a scarf for sun protection a while back...and if you look that up...there are videos that are out there, intended for that purpose, that can help you transform a scarf into a face mask. It may be a bit too reminiscent of certain religions for some? But this was the simplest video I had found when doing the sun protection research:

Thanks for posting this Anita. I was just freaking out a little bit this morning as I have been faithfully believing the CDC regarding no need to wear a mask unless you are sick or know you have been exposed -- so now I have no mask(s) and they are changing the guidelines! Of course every reasonable mask option is on backorder now and I cannot sew anything more than a loose button...

I do, however, have a drawer full of scarves. :classic_ninja:

• Like 2

Thanks for the video.

Mask wearing is not required around here, yet.  I don't know where I could find masks, but I do know where scarves are. (in my dresser drawer)

I think I will practice.

I got a few groceries yesterday, so I won't be going out again for at least a week. 🤞

11 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Thanks for the video.

Mask wearing is not required around here, yet.  I don't know where I could find masks, but I do know where scarves are. (in my dresser drawer)

I think I will practice.

I got a few groceries yesterday, so I won't be going out again for at least a week. 🤞

It is not mandatory here either.  They had the usual WH Press conference yesterday and that always brings

confusion:classic_rolleyes:.....

Ours is a "requested"  but not yet mandatory (although I didn't watch today's governor or mayor press conference so could have changed)

here's a link to making a homemade mask with no sewing required:  

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-might-be-the-simplest-no-sew-diy-coronavirus-mask-2020-04-03

In the interest of my own mental health, I've started doing a daily action plan,  it incorporates:

-a daily goal (like rearrange some furniture, or increase running by 10 minutes, or even just clean 1 window)

--a short term goal (mine is that tomorrow we will have fake brunch)  we have some eggs, a packet of hollandaise mix,  some frozen asparagus & prosecco (thanks postmates!!) & oranges from our trees 

- a long term goal  (like the first thing I'm going to do when we leave the house again is..... fill in the blank  :)

hope everyone is staying safe & healthy.    The zucchini that I planted is popping up & I'm pretty excited about it, but need to find a way to protect it from the bunnies & squirrels :)

• Like 1

I just realized, if I wear a face mask when I go into a store, nobody will know if I have lipstick and blush on, lol.

I will be experimenting with square/oblong scarves.  I tried an infinity scarf; I just couldn't get the face loop to stay in place. Maybe Wild West bank robber bandana-style will work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

It is not mandatory here either.  They had the usual WH Press conference yesterday and that always brings confusion:classic_rolleyes:.....

It's a recommendation, which is not confusing. Wear one or don't.

I'm going to wear one of my husband's fishing buffs to the grocery store tomorrow. 😷

• Like 1

i repurposed a couple of linen napkins & elastic cord from my sewing box (as I didn’t have any hair tie elastics). They will be easy to launder & iron well. I also have several running buffs that will work well. I’ve been wearing a mask when I have to go out as my DH has compromised health. Don’t want to bring anything home to him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

It's a recommendation, which is not confusing. Wear one or don't.

I'm going to wear one of my husband's fishing buffs to the grocery store tomorrow. 😷

I understand it is a recommendation. 

What is a fishing buff?

45 minutes ago, Lois R said:

What is a fishing buff?

Something like this:

UV Fishing Buff - Orvis

They come in different patterns. They are designed to keep sun off one's neck and face. My DH has had two skin cancers removed from his neck, so it's a really good idea for him.

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

Something like this:

They come in different patterns. They are designed to keep sun off one's neck and face. My DH has had two skin cancers removed from his neck, so it's a really good idea for him.

we have several of those, & that's what my husband wears when walking now..   I have one that's lightweight & cream colored, it's an insect shield one that I bought for alaska, but I'm wearing it around my neck when running in the unlikely case that someone is around, I can pull it over my nose & mouth easily :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had to go to the grocery store this morning, and I ended up using a bandana-type scarf and two rubber bands to make a face mask similar to the one shown in the first video here:    https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/how-to-make-a-face-mask/

It worked pretty well -- only thing is that the rubber bands were a little loose so I had to be careful not to knock off the mask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, awhfy said:

i repurposed a couple of linen napkins & elastic cord from my sewing box (as I didn’t have any hair tie elastics). They will be easy to launder & iron well. I also have several running buffs that will work well. I’ve been wearing a mask when I have to go out as my DH has compromised health. Don’t want to bring anything home to him. 

The right decision!😎 I also try to sew masks from improvised materials (but I'm a very bad seamstress). After all, if we can't get them in the city and we want security, what do we have to do?..

I wish health to your DH!

I've got a modified "self-isolation" outfit of the day established:

Start out with my long robe over my long tee shirt nightie over long knit pants.

Remove the robe about noon, and replace with a knit open jacket

(please note the nightie is a constant)

However, I do have some standards, so my colors have to be coordinated.  However, they alternate between black and navy blue.

I go out grocery shopping once a week (THANK YOU Instacart the rest of the time!!), I will put on a "regular" knit top instead of the nightie.

12 minutes ago, pcur said:

I've got a modified "self-isolation" outfit of the day established:

Start out with my long robe over my long tee shirt nightie over long knit pants.

Remove the robe about noon, and replace with a knit open jacket

(please note the nightie is a constant)

However, I do have some standards, so my colors have to be coordinated.  However, they alternate between black and navy blue.

I go out grocery shopping once a week (THANK YOU Instacart the rest of the time!!), I will put on a "regular" knit top instead of the nightie.

I admire your commitment to color coordinating ;)  

I'm still sticking with my "uniform" of the two pairs of joggers with the cropped tanks & cashmere sweater coat :)   

When this is over I will either enshrine the joggers or burn them....  can't decide which yet lol :)

DH hits the 4 week mark tomorrow, while I will hit it on Sunday. 

I'm not leaving the property today (did walk to the end of the drive way for mail 😉 ), but had a Zoom based Bible Study this morning.  I put cute clothes on - including making sure my capris still fit from last summer (they do - yay!) - and a little make-up.  Still casual: ladies cut t-shirt, loose cardigan, print capris, and sandals; but I do feel a little better in something other than cleaning or workout clothes.

• Like 1

This made me chuckle.

I never, ever use a lanyard on a cruise.  I never used one for my ID at work; I clipped it to a lapel.

We are working in the backyard as much as the weather allows.  I have to lock the doors because my cat figured out how to unlatch them and let himself out.  

So....I put my house key on.....a lanyard.  

While we were taking a break yesterday, it occurred to me, here we are, dressed like cruise people (at least in that respect).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2