Breakaway March 7-14 passenger tested positive for coved 19

zippydo1

13 minutes ago, zippydo1 said:

Just received an email from NCL that a passenger on our cruise tested positive for Covid 19.  

So it looks like those people that some are saying "jumped ship" too early and cancelled their March 14 cruise on Breakaway were the smart ones after all. You see NCL time to make things right with the people you scammed with the first March 10th peace of mind offer. Those people would have been quarantined, but they were smart enough to see it coming and instead got penalized for it! NCL needs make things right!

The patient was seriously ill on day 2 of the cruise.  I don’t understand how we were able to port at Jamaica or Grand Cayman after what happened to the MSC ship. Cozumel required testing before they allowed the MSC passengers to go ashore.  Any flu like symptoms should have raised red flags in this pandemic. We should have been informed.  If this wasn’t on the news first, would we have been notified?   

• Like 2

I am absolutely livid. If true, it sounds like they had the information about a positive test while we were still on the ship, yet we were never informed. In fact, we were specifically told there were no cases of illness. We saw the woman being taken off in Jamaica,  and of course worried about the possibility. It was absolutely our choice to be on this ship, but I would have canceled had this sailing been included in the “peace of mind” offering.  This was already one of the worst cruises we have taken and now this to top it off. Prayers for the woman and her family.

Edited by Capefearshore

29 minutes ago, Capefearshore said:

I am absolutely livid. If true, it sounds like they had the information about a positive test while we were still on the ship, yet we were never informed. In fact, we were specifically told there were no cases of illness. We saw the woman being taken off in Jamaica,  and of course worried about the possibility. It was absolutely our choice to be on this ship, but I would have canceled had this sailing been included in the “peace of mind” offering.  This was already one of the worst cruises we have taken and now this to top it off. Prayers for the woman and her family.

You say you were worried...but at the end of day it came down to money. You would have canceled if you got your money back, so I guess you weren't really that worried

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 3

I guess their rigorous pre-boarding screening didn't work too well after all. NCL might also want to retract Harry Sommer's letter dated March 13 which is plastered on the home page of their website, stating in part...

While we have not had any confirmed cases across our 17-ship fleet.....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TabithaK said:

I was on this sailing. So Norwegian not only withheld information from us until this story broke but they have compromised Jamaican residents and health care workers. Disgusting.

Waiting to see if NCL will have the balls to warn other sailings that was basically forced to cruise.

6 hours ago, Capefearshore said:

We were on march 8th sailing of Getaway. Lots of hacking and coughing by crew and passengers. 90% of them coughing without covering or coughing in their hand.

6 hours ago, Laszlo said:

You say you were worried...but at the end of day it came down to money. You would have canceled if you got your money back, so I guess you weren't really that worried

Real easy for you to say since you weren’t the one stuck between a rock and a hard spot. I just love it when people are so uncaring and quick to smart off.  What put more salt in the wound is there was just 3 days that didnt get the commiseration as everyone else.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

Waiting to see if NCL will have the balls to warn other sailings that was basically forced to cruise.

We were on march 8th sailing of Getaway. Lots of hacking and coughing by crew and passengers. 90% of them coughing without covering or coughing in their hand.

Real easy for you to say since you weren’t the one stuck between a rock and a hard spot. I just love it when people are so uncaring and quick to smart off.  What put more salt in the wound is there was just 3 days that didnt get the commiseration as everyone else.

The person choose to put their health over their pocketbook, everyone knew about the virus at that point and knew it could be on the ships

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

The person choose to put their health over their pocketbook, everyone knew about the virus at that point and knew it could be on the ships

So, my choice to sail absolves NCL of informing passengers in the middle of a cruise of a positive test? I am not asking for a refund or any compensation for a poor cruise. I would just like to understand who made that decision and why.

10 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Yet NCL continued to welcome guests onboard knowing the danger putting them in the way of harm. Profits first. Health secondary. Very sad. That's why the government had to ask them to "voluntarily" shut down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Capefearshore said:

So, my choice to sail absolves NCL of informing passengers in the middle of a cruise of a positive test? I am not asking for a refund or any compensation for a poor cruise. I would just like to understand who made that decision and why.

Unfortunately you will never get an honest answer, we all know its profits......

I'm in no way  defending NCL,  but    people are complaining that if they didn't go on the cruise they would be out money, so they  decided to go on the cruise.  (even after all the warnings).  So now, they may have been exposed to coronavirus, and they're  complaining about that. They went  on a cruise that they knew might become infected.     Maybe people should start taking responsibility for themselves.    And, they're still out the money!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

Yet NCL continued to welcome guests onboard knowing the danger putting them in the way of harm. Profits first. Health secondary. Very sad. That's why the government had to ask them to "voluntarily" shut down.

And you can bet your first born child if government hadn’t stopped them it would be business as usual.

• Like 2

And Yet....Every person who got on the ship to take the cruise new of the possible danger. The dangers were know WEEKS ahead of time. Some people choose to take the advice and some people choose not to. Their were doctors and scientist all over the country saying at the end of February do not take a cruise

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, jezabel80 said:

I'm in no way defending NCL, but people are complaining that  < snipped > ... They went on a cruise that they knew might become infected. Maybe people should start taking responsibility for themselves. And, they're still out the money!

LOL, it would be a different complaint - me thinking - if the ship was held off NY's Lower Bay for a 14 days quarantine.  Just kidding.  Or, refused permission for the ship to dock & float at sea ... 

Now, we got - potentially - 5,000 to 6,000+ passengers (no idea what was the occupancy on these ships earlier this month) with their freedom, roaming - some will probably learn of these news & do self isolation/quarantine at home.  Others, no idea but hey, it's early Spring break - an extended one - time to hit the beaches & work on tanning.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

And Yet....Every person who got on the ship to take the cruise new of the possible danger. The dangers were know WEEKS ahead of time. 

They did? They were?  Well,not if they listened to NCL.

NCLs President and CEO must have missed that. In fact, he foolishly sent a letter dated March 7  to travel partners and guests talking about how safe it was and encouraging people to come aboard.

"We are very proud of the protocols and preventative measures we have in place to deal with current concerns regarding COVID-19, and I firmly believe that we have some of the most robust measures in place to protect our guests and team members. On a more personal note, I want to share that I am travelling with my family and friends to Europe in late May aboard one of our fantastic ships. Cruising is a fun and safe means of travel, and I want to ensure that you know that we walk the talk. I hope you will join me in exploring the world in the safety and comfort of an amazing Norwegian Cruise Line ship with your friends and family."

• Like 1

NCLs President and CEO must have missed that. In fact, he foolishly sent a letter dated March 7  to travel partners and guests talking about how safe it was and encouraging people to come aboard.

"We are very proud of the protocols and preventative measures we have in place to deal with current concerns regarding COVID-19, and I firmly believe that we have some of the most robust measures in place to protect our guests and team members. On a more personal note, I want to share that I am travelling with my family and friends to Europe in late May aboard one of our fantastic ships. Cruising is a fun and safe means of travel, and I want to ensure that you know that we walk the talk. I hope you will join me in exploring the world in the safety and comfort of an amazing Norwegian Cruise Line ship with your friends and family."

Well said and so true!

18 hours ago, TabithaK said:

I was on this sailing. So Norwegian not only withheld information from us until this story broke but they have compromised Jamaican residents and health care workers. Disgusting.

Exactly! They knew what they were doing and they did not care and NCL knows it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blcruising said:

Edited by Laszlo