Cruise Critic Community
Denny01

Viking Expedition Great Lakes/Canada

Hi All - It was suggested I start a thread on the upcoming Great Lakes/Canada itineraries so here goes! 

Viking is building a number of new ships, and a thread was started that discusses those. The ships will be used for the Arctic and the Antarctic, and when not there, will be cruising the Great Lakes. They are designed to handle the ice, but also the Great Lake Locks. The ships look very interesting, and very different than the normal cruise ships. 

So we are going to give the a Great Lakes itinerary a go. We had a river cruise from Bucharest to Budapest cancelled that we were suppose to be flying to tonight, so we will use the FCC to book one of these.The Great Lakes itineraries aren’t cheap by any means, but are very unique. And one very personal positive, my wife and I would love to spend time in Milwaukee before or after the cruise and attend a major craft show that is held there in early June 2022. Yup, these cruises start in 2022. Heck, I’ve booked more than a year ahead before!

So what do you guys think about these Great Lakes/Canada itineraries; the ships look fun;. the SRs look very unique. If any of you have cruised on the Celebrity Edge ship with it’s Infinite Verandas,  with a large window which opens up, its much the same for these ships. We loved it. Hopefully, the Viking Expedition approach survives all of what is occurring to the industry and we can take one. 

What about you?  

Den

Posted (edited)

Easy. Cruising is ‘fun’. The ship’s design is different than most others and appears it will be very interesting to explore and experience. The SRs differ from the ‘norm’. So the ship ‘looks fun’.  

People can have fun experiencing something different then what they are accustomed to can’t they? I cruise for itineraries and I cruise to experience the shipboard time. I’ve not gone ashore at.a port I have little interest in, sometimes because the ship is ‘fun’ to be on.....and ‘looked fun’. 

den

Edited by Denny01