Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sea shepherd

Royal is starting to send crew home.

Recommended Posts

Facilities are not the biggest challenge, equipment and personnel are. At today’s presser the president didn’t seem too enthusiastic about Carnival’s offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

What happens if an Italian crew member goes home and when it reopens brings the virus back to the ship?

 

When all the Jewel crew went home, Italians were allowed to stay onboard. 

 

But the virus is everywhere so any crew member could go home and bring it back to the ship...

Edited by GarlicBread
Add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

What happens if an Italian crew member goes home and when it reopens brings the virus back to the ship?

I think all the crew members who are being sent home will go though quarantine period before they can get on a ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Just about every hotel on land is virtually empty.   Better situated and easier access.  It's a struggle getting wheelchairs up gangway at some ports.

Agree. Hotels near hospitals would be best situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Just about every hotel on land is virtually empty.   Better situated and easier access.  It's a struggle getting wheelchairs up gangway at some ports.

Agree and Litter/stretchers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allure has no sailings before June 7th now on my TA. Royal shows cruises which says their website is not updated/functioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our boys were part of the LOS Entertainment staff till their contracts expired this past November.    One of their cast members was recently called back to the Liberty,  signing on just this past Sunday (3/15).  Yesterday the boys heard from him that Royal is sending him home. My first question was how were they going to get him from Galveston to his home in Ireland?  So far, no answer!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, irzero said:

Allure has no sailings before June 7th now on my TA. Royal shows cruises which says their website is not updated/functioning.

Don’t see anything for Explorer, Quantum, Spectrum or Jewel in all of April either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SarahD112 said:

Don’t see anything for Explorer, Quantum, Spectrum or Jewel in all of April either. 

I got inside info that they were not saying until June. Looks like it was on the money.

 

Personally im not sure what is going to change before June. Virus isnt going anywhere in 12 weeks. Not like they are going to suddenly open the ports and flights in Europe. Given the rate of infection increase in Europe America will be in dire straits in less than 4 weeks time so i cant see there being anything different there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SarahD112 said:

Don’t see anything for Explorer, Quantum, Spectrum or Jewel in all of April either. 

 

Where are you seeing this sorry? What's TA?

 

Anything for Rhapsody in May?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

 

Where are you seeing this sorry? What's TA?

 

Anything for Rhapsody in May?

On RCCL’s website if you select the month of May on the “Plan a Cruise” page, those ships are grayed out as options. I don’t know what the other poster meant by the Allure/TA comment. All ships but Odyssey show available for booking in May (Odyssey new this fall). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, irzero said:

I got inside info that they were not saying until June. Looks like it was on the money.

 

Personally im not sure what is going to change before June. Virus isnt going anywhere in 12 weeks. Not like they are going to suddenly open the ports and flights in Europe. Given the rate of infection increase in Europe America will be in dire straits in less than 4 weeks time so i cant see there being anything different there too. 

Yeah, unfortunately I’d be very surprised if anything sails before June and not surprised if it’s July or later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, SarahD112 said:

On RCCL’s website if you select the month of May on the “Plan a Cruise” page, those ships are grayed out as options. I don’t know what the other poster meant by the Allure/TA comment. All ships but Odyssey show available for booking in May (Odyssey new this fall). 

Ah yes I see. Hmmm wonder what they're upto. I have a booking for Rhapsody on 23 May. Obviously it's going to be cancelled but final payment is coming up and I've no idea what to do.

Edited by Mark_UK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SarahD112 said:

Don’t see anything for Explorer, Quantum, Spectrum or Jewel in all of April either. 

Don’t forget that Allure and Explorer never had cruises scheduled as they were in  drydock.  Quantum and Spectrum were Asia and those have been pulled indefinitely and Jewel was doing Dubai.  

 

Those cruises that aren't showing really are not anything new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don’t forget that Allure and Explorer never had cruises scheduled as they were in  drydock.  Quantum and Spectrum were Asia and those have been pulled indefinitely and Jewel was doing Dubai.  
 
Those cruises that aren't showing really are not anything new.
Wrong

Allure has cruises in may. Travel agents have removed these cruises so I'm guessing they are cancelled despite them still showing on royals website.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, irzero said:

Wrong

Allure has cruises in may. Travel agents have removed these cruises so I'm guessing they are cancelled despite them still showing on royals website.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
 

We were talking about April 

 

travel agents don’t  have any more knowledge than the rest of us.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We were talking about April 

 

travel agents don’t  have any more knowledge than the rest of us.

My bad. :)

 

But yes they do. Agents know because they are taking money for cruises that dont exist then it causes big problems with package holiday insurance in the UK.

 

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, irzero said:

My bad. 🙂

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
 

No worries

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 3:01 AM, mugtech said:

Sounds like he is in the first group of crew members being sent home, perhaps his blog has something to do with that.  Does appear they will not be starting up again on 4/12/20, otherwise it would be a terrible waste of time and money.  Good luck getting back to UK.

I think he mentioned he was in the 8th month of his current contract. Generally they take a break around that time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

What's TA?

 

Depending on context -- it can be a TransAtlantic [in this case] or Travel Agent.

 

( TP -- TransPacific, shouldn't be confused with the other TP 😁)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Depending on context -- it can be a TransAtlantic [in this case] or Travel Agent.
 
( TP -- TransPacific, shouldn't be confused with the other TP )
Travel agent.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, irzero said:

Travel agent.

 

In this context it was TransAtlantic....

"I don’t know what the other poster meant by the Allure/TA comment."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think he mentioned he was in the 8th month of his current contract. Generally they take a break around that time. 

Yes, also said he had expected to be on the ship for the entire 30 day suspension.  Perhaps it will take those 3 weeks to get back to the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not 100% clear from Chris’s videos whether all crew is leaving, or just those with contracts ending.  However, with the state department moving the travel advisory to level 4 (do not travel) yesterday, I would think they are sending all crew members home and there will be another announcement about additional cancelled sailings.  I just wish they would make the announcement already. 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...