Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bo1953

Mattresses On X Or Any other Cruise Ship ???

Hello all - I was wondering if anyone knows how X or any other cruise ship keeps their mattresses fresh and firm?

I Am not speaking of the 'Goldielocks' syndrome where the mattress is not 'just right' in terms of firmness vs sagging and springs which are just worn where no mattress pad can make a difference.

Having so many passengers in even a three (3) month period use them and even different 'sizes' of individuals on the same mattress, how do they keep them like 'new'?

The reason I inquire is this week I have to file a claim for a mattress we have only had approximately one (1) year or so and turn it as recommended.... springs are sagging.

I do not consider myself to be too heavy at all.. then again after returning home from a cruise that can be disputed, for sure! LOL

In health and bon voyage

"Having so many passengers in even a three (3) month period use them and even different 'sizes' of individuals on the same mattress, how do they keep them like 'new'?"

Still only two people per day, (or one) same as your mattress at home. They flip and rotate 180 degrees.

I don't know where you purchased yours but I would hope it came with some type of warranty. A decent mattress should last a minimum of 10 years.

29 minutes ago, oneputt18 said:

"Having so many passengers in even a three (3) month period use them and even different 'sizes' of individuals on the same mattress, how do they keep them like 'new'?"

Still only two people per day, (or one) same as your mattress at home. They flip and rotate 180 degrees.

I don't know where you purchased yours but I would hope it came with some type of warranty. A decent mattress should last a minimum of 10 years.

o - thanks for your response.

I tend to purchase premium type of mattresses and box springs and rotate them as "recommended" and still have these issues.

The current set has a 15 year warranty and I Am making a claim against it... hopefully they do not have a "mattress warranty user" registry.. this is our fourth mattress in six (6) years... I Am begging to think that I Am an abuser of them. LOL

Here's to good sleep and bon voyage

We have a Sleep Number bed, best investment we ever made. After our experience , all of my grown children have them for themselves and my grandchildren. 

They have a 100 night trial and a 25 year warranty.

Wow... Surprised to hear.   What exactly are you doing on your mattresses.... LOL

We have an adjustable bed with a Latex mattress that we purchase about 10 years ago.   It is absolutely like new and no sagging or deterioration.   It was rather expensive at about $5,000 (from Costco) but to this day I swear it is the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on.  

My daughter on the other hand bought a memory foam mattress for about the same price and she says it is sagging and forming a indentation where she sleeps.  

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow... Surprised to hear.   What exactly are you doing on your mattresses.... LOL

We have an adjustable bed with a Latex mattress that we purchase about 10 years ago.   It is absolutely like new and no sagging or deterioration.   It was rather expensive at about $5,000 (from Costco) but to this day I swear it is the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on.  

My daughter on the other hand bought a memory foam mattress for about the same price and she says it is sagging and forming a indentation where she sleeps.  

I bought a latex mattress about 9 years ago and love it.  It was expensive think I got it for around 3k but that was also because it was on a end of model sale etc.  it’s still great   

12 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

this is our fourth mattress in six (6) years...

I feel your pain! I feel like we've had the worst luck with mattresses at our house.

13 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

o - thanks for your response.

I tend to purchase premium type of mattresses and box springs and rotate them as "recommended" and still have these issues.

The current set has a 15 year warranty and I Am making a claim against it... hopefully they do not have a "mattress warranty user" registry.. this is our fourth mattress in six (6) years... I Am begging to think that I Am an abuser of them. LOL

Here's to good sleep and bon voyage

It's probably not exactly you abusing those poor mattresses lol... more than likely you don't have a super good quality bed frame under it....  most people just use the kind with 3 to 5 slats,  try googling "heavy duty bed frame"   

https://www.amazon.com/NOAH-MEGATRON-Frame-14-Foundation-Under-Bed/dp/B07GTGVLX9/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=heavy+duty+bed+frame+king+size&qid=1584670730&sr=8-8

makes a huge difference, & your mattresses won't develop a sag in the middle if you start out with something like that.  hope this helps :)

9 hours ago, oneputt18 said:

We have a Sleep Number bed, best investment we ever made. After our experience , all of my grown children have them for themselves and my grandchildren. 

They have a 100 night trial and a 25 year warranty.

Yep, Love my Sleep Number.  Actually mine is quite old and still going strong. 

6 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Yep, Love my Sleep Number.  Actually mine is quite old and still going strong. 

We bought ours 15 years ago. When I need a new pump they did a very fair prorate and shipped it priority no charge.

Posted (edited)

on the ship they have different weights and sizes in different positions. At home the same body ususally sleeps in the same spot each night.. well except for those younger folks🙈

Edited by gold1953
spelling

10 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

It's probably not exactly you abusing those poor mattresses lol... more than likely you don't have a super good quality bed frame under it....  most people just use the kind with 3 to 5 slats,  try googling "heavy duty bed frame"   

https://www.amazon.com/NOAH-MEGATRON-Frame-14-Foundation-Under-Bed/dp/B07GTGVLX9/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=heavy+duty+bed+frame+king+size&qid=1584670730&sr=8-8

makes a huge difference, & your mattresses won't develop a sag in the middle if you start out with something like that.  hope this helps 🙂

Very much agree with this. We've been burned in the past with expensive mattress purchases only to put them on inadequate frames and box springs. Sagging was pretty immediate.

About 4 years ago we purchased a similar frame to the one you linked and rolled the dice on a $750 memory foam mattress that arrived rolled up in a box that we never tested prior to purchase. Everything has held up perfectly and we no longer see the need to spend thousands of dollars on a mattress that fails us after 2 years.

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL sleeping!

I have generally spent between $1,500 to $3,000 on mattresses and box springs and one year nixed all cruising because the bedding was more than I wanted to spend.

I like super extra firm mattresses and have tried a wide variety of manufacturers from known to private... now as o and a few others have touted, it may be time for Sleep Number....

At which point, I may have to defer a sailing or two, which will be fine if it works for me...

I Am not looking for a cocoon to sleep on, I desire a firm supportive unit... some of my best sleeping is when I Am in a bed on X... a major reason I do not like to leave the ship at a sailings end!!! LOL

In health and bon voyage

10 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

makes a huge difference, & your mattresses won't develop a sag in the middle if you start out with something like that.  hope this helps :)

That is a great frame, thank you - we always purchase the compatible box springs for the mattresses and would think that this frame might be a bit over kill, then again based on my experience, it might be what we need.

Thank you again,

In health and bon voyage

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

on the ship they have different weights and sizes in different positions. At home the same body ususally sleeps in the same spot each night.. well except for those younger folks🙈

LOL g - are you indicating that you do fit that demographic, still???

In health and bon voyage

My wife wasn't very fond of the mattress on our Reflection cruise. They had a plastic ripple thing underneath the mattress and she said it effected her sleep. Me? I have to say it wasn't my favorite, but since I made sure to have a strong night cap it still worked fine. 🙂

Bo, you should look at what mattress they use at Sandals resorts in Jamaica. Some of the hardest beds I have ever encountered.

Bo

We loved the beds on EDGE...was afraid I'd be allergic to cashmere az was advertised..but no issues..very firm.  Great sleep!

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

Bo

We loved the beds on EDGE...was afraid I'd be allergic to cashmere az was advertised..but no issues..very firm.  Great sleep!

My current favourite beds in the fleet!!!!

In health and bon voyage

23 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

My wife wasn't very fond of the mattress on our Reflection cruise. They had a plastic ripple thing underneath the mattress and she said it effected her sleep. Me? I have to say it wasn't my favorite, but since I made sure to have a strong night cap it still worked fine. 🙂

Bo, you should look at what mattress they use at Sandals resorts in Jamaica. Some of the hardest beds I have ever encountered.

m - a strong night cap made the bed even better for me on The Edge... LOL

In health and bon voyage

10 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

LOL g - are you indicating that you do fit that demographic, still???

In health and bon voyage

LOL.. we both get paid by our government to stay alive now!! Love those old age checks!!

Celebrity needs to invest in some good mattresses. I have found them the least comfortable of any cruise line, and that is across multiple ships. Edge was probably the best. On several cruises I have had to get a mattress topper to make it more comfortable (and this is in suites). NCL has the best mattresses by far, in suites anyway; like sleeping on a cloud. MSC's beds in Yacht Club were also excellent.