Cruise Critic Community
caribill

Cruise ships as hospitals

1 hour ago, caribill said:

President Trump just announced that CCL Corp has volunteered to have some of its ships used as hospitals in NYC and elsewhere as needed.

These ships would supplement the two Naval hospital ships that are being moved to NYC and the West Coast.

I was certain this was gonna happen - the industry will need money, and they know they are low on the "bailout" block, so if they want govt money, they are gonna need to be supplying a service...and this will be a needed one - extra single room space that is easy to serve and easy to move where needed...

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

It seems hotels would be better suited as they are near hospitals.  Critical care is an ambulance away.  By every metric a better choice than cruise ships.

50 minutes ago, caribill said:

The Navy hospital ships will be used for non-critical non-Corvid-19 patients, so I would think it would also be true of any cruise ships.

Agree....cruise ships are very suited to acting as a mini-city with all kinds of support services available to those being treated and cared for.  They are designed to serve large groups of people.  Might as well have people laying in bed in a cruise ship cabin, where they can easily be fed, monitored, treated, physically rehabilitate in the gyms and allowed to recover with a balcony view which will free up much needed hospital beds for the more intensive patients....it is war time and cruise ships have been used in time of war before.....plus I would think with what has been learned so far they would be much better monitored then the Grand and Diamond who the majority of the staff was not medically trained...

Edited by PrincessLuver

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I was certain this was gonna happen - the industry will need money, and they know they are low on the "bailout" block, so if they want govt money, they are gonna need to be supplying a service...and this will be a needed one - extra single room space that is easy to serve and easy to move where needed...

Could be a great way to rehabilitate the image of cruising after all the negative press about COVID-19 and cruise ships....lemons to lemonade....way to go Carnival and Princess!!!

It is about saving lives and I admire CCL for stepping up to the plate because our country is going to need all the help and innovative thinking we can muster to stave off COVID-19!!!  God Bless!!

Edited by PrincessLuver

Carnival is not asking for money just costs

With the continued spread of COVID-19 expected to exert added pressure on land-based healthcare facilities, including a possible shortage of hospital beds, Carnival Corporation and its brands are calling on governments and health authorities to consider using cruise ships as temporary healthcare facilities to treat non-COVID-19 patients, freeing up additional space and expanding capacity in land-based hospitals to treat cases of COVID-19. As part of the offer, interested parties will be asked to cover only the essential costs of the ship's operations while in port.

There are so many non covid needs. How about cancer therapy, Physical Therapy, Respiratory Therapy, X-rays, Lab . All ships have the medical facility usually on deck 4 which have these capability in small quantity. 

1 hour ago, robertdeese said:

the president has just announced one live TV ha been in talks with Micky Arison chairman Of Carnival Cruise lines (mother of princess) about converting some of the fleet to. hospital ships, I have been saying that all along...

News Release

Carnival Corporation Extends Offer to Governments and Health Authorities to Consider Cruise Ships as Temporary Hospitals
Initiative would utilize converted cruise ships for non-COVID-19 patients to help relieve pressure on land-based hospitals and free up capacity to care for cases of COVID-19

MIAMI, March 19, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK), the world's largest leisure travel company, today announced that select cruise ships from the company's global cruise line brands, including Carnival Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and P&O Cruises Australia, will be made available to communities for use as temporary hospitals to help address the escalating impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on healthcare systems around the world.

With the continued spread of COVID-19 expected to exert added pressure on land-based healthcare facilities, including a possible shortage of hospital beds, Carnival Corporationand its brands are calling on governments and health authorities to consider using cruise ships as temporary healthcare facilities to treat non-COVID-19 patients, freeing up additional space and expanding capacity in land-based hospitals to treat cases of COVID-19. As part of the offer, interested parties will be asked to cover only the essential costs of the ship's operations while in port.

Governments or health authorities with interest can contact Monica Puello by email at MPuello@Carnival.com or by phone at (305) 406-8656.

If needed, cruise ships are capable of being quickly provisioned to serve as hospitals with up to 1,000 hospital rooms that can treat patients suffering from less critical, non-COVID-19 conditions. These temporary cruise ship hospital rooms can be quickly converted to install and connect remote patient monitoring devices over the ship's high-speed network – providing cardiac, respiratory, oxygen saturation and video monitoring capabilities. The rooms also have bathroom facilities, private balconies with access to sun and fresh air, as well as isolation capabilities, as needed.

Additionally, cruise ships being used as temporary hospital facilities to treat non-COVID-19 patients would have the ability to provide up to seven intensive care units (ICUs) in the ship's medical center equipped with central cardiac monitoring, ventilators and other key medical devices and capabilities. Similar to land-based health facilities, cruise ships can also house multiple medical functions in disparate locations by using different decks on the ship to separate each required medical area.

The temporary hospital cruise ships would be berthed at a pier near the community in need and operated by the ship's crew, with all maritime operations, food and beverage, and cleaning services provided by crew members on the ship. Medical services would be provided by the government entity or hospital responsible for fighting the spread of COVID-19 within that community.

About Carnival Corporation & plc

Carnival Corporation & plc is the world's largest leisure travel company with a portfolio of nine of the world's leading cruise lines. With operations in North America, Australia, Europe and Asia, its portfolio features Carnival Cruise Line, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Seabourn, P&O Cruises (Australia), Costa Cruises, AIDA Cruises, P&O Cruises (UK) and Cunard.

Together, the corporation's cruise lines operate 105 ships with 254,000 lower berths visiting over 700 ports around the world, with 16 new ships scheduled to be delivered through 2025. Carnival Corporation & plc also operates Holland America Princess Alaska Tours, the leading tour company in Alaska and the Canadian Yukon. Traded on both the New York and London Stock Exchanges, Carnival Corporation & plc is the only group in the world to be included in both the S&P 500 and the FTSE 100 indices.

With a long history of innovation and providing guests with extraordinary vacation experiences, Carnival Corporation has received thousands of industry awards – including recognition by the Consumer Technology Association™ as a CES® 2019 Innovation Awards Honoree for OceanMedallion™. A revolutionary wearable device that contains a proprietary blend of communication technologies, OceanMedallion enables the world's first interactive guest experience platform transforming vacation travel on a large scale into a highly personalized level of customized service. The prestigious CES Innovation Awards honor outstanding design and engineering in consumer technology products.

Additional information can be found on www.carnival.com, www.princess.com, www.hollandamerica.com, www.seabourn.com, www.pocruises.com.au, www.costacruise.com, www.aida.de, www.pocruises.com and www.cunard.com.

Cision View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation-extends-offer-to-governments-and-health-authorities-to-consider-cruise-ships-as-temporary-hospitals-301026996.html

SOURCE  Carnival Corporation & plc

Roger Frizzell, Carnival Corporation, rfrizzell@carnival.com, (305) 406-7862; Mike Flanagan, LDWW, mike@ldwwgroup.com, (727) 452-4538

53 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Bad surroundings/facility for any at risk health issues. 

Like I said it only takes one infected person to cause another disaster whether it be CV or Noro etc.

With carpeting throughout the cabins and passageways which can harbor so much bacteria.

And while the carpeting in your home may contain bacteria, those on a cruise ship have been regularly fogged with Virkon, which is perfectly suitable as a general disinfectant on both hard and soft surfaces, for years.  The Diamond Princess' problems were caused by keeping more than one person in a cabin in an infectious scenario, and using untrained personnel as care givers.  If the ships were to be used for hospitals, whether for infectious patients or not, you can be sure the USPH would step up and have an inspector on each ship full time, since with no cruises calling in the US they have no other ships to inspect, to train and monitor the crew for proper practices.  And, in the wake of the Diamond, the cruise lines would have their compliance departments fully engaged to ensure the crew is not a part of the problem again.

5 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Carnival is not asking for money just costs

While I agree that it is an interesting option, and one that needs very careful study before implementation, recouping costs is asking for money, since Carnival would be paying those costs anyway if the ships were sitting idle.  So, while it is a zero profit idea, it is still a revenue for Carnival.

Whatever the condition of the patient utilizing a cruise ship cabin, they will need to be ambulatory(walking). The hallways and elevators are not large enough to handle a hospital bed. And a cabin doorway isn't wide enough for a hospital wheelchair much less a hospital bed, portable x-ray machine or a crash cart.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

Whatever the condition of the patient utilizing a cruise ship cabin, they will need to be ambulatory(walking). The hallways and elevators are not large enough to handle a hospital bed. And a cabin doorway isn't wide enough for a hospital wheelchair much less a hospital bed, portable x-ray machine or a crash cart.

I am almost sure there must be freight elevators on the ships and there are probably ways to retrofit the ships to be more accommodating to patients.....narrower wheel chairs (they use them on airplanes) and gurneys for a start....different decks could be designated for different types of patient care.....still like the idea....what a great way to create a few 1000's bed immediately by moving cruise ships into a port city...

Edited by PrincessLuver

4 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I am almost sure there must be freight elevators on the ships and there are probably ways to retrofit the ships to be more accommodating to patients.....narrower wheel chairs (they use them on airplanes) and gurneys for a start....different decks could be designated for different types of patient care.....still like the idea....what a great way to create a few 1000's bed immediately by moving cruise ships into a port city...

The only "freight" elevators go from I-95 down, and crew elevators are not appreciably bigger than pax elevators.  Any "retrofitting" of the ship would be a cost that would have to be paid both for the retrofitting and for the reconversion back.

The old QE2 was used by the British during the Falklands war as a troop ship, but they had planned for this from very early on in the ship's life, having custom crates built for the chandeliers and custom cut plywood to cover the carpeting, and all of this was stored in warehouses at the government's expense.

16 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The only "freight" elevators go from I-95 down, and crew elevators are not appreciably bigger than pax elevators.  Any "retrofitting" of the ship would be a cost that would have to be paid both for the retrofitting and for the reconversion back.

The old QE2 was used by the British during the Falklands war as a troop ship, but they had planned for this from very early on in the ship's life, having custom crates built for the chandeliers and custom cut plywood to cover the carpeting, and all of this was stored in warehouses at the government's expense.

CCL seems to suggest in their press release that it is doable and they have made the offer so I guessing it will probably happen when the need soon gets here......

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

CCL seems to suggest in their press release that it is doable and they have made the offer so I guessing it will probably happen when the need soon gets here......

Sure it's doable, within limitations, and the revenue is something Mickey can't pass up.  As my contractor is fond of saying:  "anything's doable, is a question of how much you want to pay".

Edited by chengkp75

This makes  no sense to me. Unless they're planning to somehow retrofit a cruise ship as a medical ship.  There's no equipment and the layout is not designed for giving any kind of medical care.  I could see if they just want to quarantine people without symptoms maybe, but full on sick people need a proper medical facility with adequate staff. Might as well just stay home!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Bad idea with repeated Diamond Princess type virus disasters happening again and again.  It would only take 1 infected person to start this crap all over again.

Cruise ships are not built for this.

Who is non critical?

No way to tell at this point and also for the unforeseeable future.

Really bad idea IMO.

Have to disagree, Keith.  Like the military ships, AFAIK, they would re-locate patients with negative COVID-19 and this opens up space in land-based hospitals for COVID-19 surges.  They can put one patient/cabin.  They can supply and deliver meals.  TV is there for news and entertainment.  Those who may be ambulatory can get fresh air and light if in Balcony room or OV.  Have to think out of the box these days. 

ETA - Everyone has their own bathroom as well!!

Edited by Steelers36

as long as it's Carnival ships … hopefully not any Princess ships involved … Princess has enough problems without adding this potential situation ...

And just where do you think the medical staff will come from? The health care system has been under staffed and over worked before this crisis.

I would not come out of retirement to work, as I am now an part of the at risk age.

Bad surroundings/facility for any at risk health issues. 

Like I said it only takes one infected person to cause another disaster whether it be CV or Noro etc.

With carpeting throughout the cabins and passageways which can harbor so much bacteria.

Just as a point of interest Cruise ships have by far less noro than the US population over all.  While it might be visible due to reporting about 5% of the UD population get noro each year compared to less than 1% of cruise ship passengers during Noro season. So they have a good track record on Noro.  

Less so with URIs.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

If they use the older ships, ones that be first in line to sell or retire, in case demand is lower when this is all done, they might not even refit them back.

1 minute ago, npcl said:

If they use the older ships, ones that be first in line to sell or retire, in case demand is lower when this is all done, they might not even refit them back.

I would guess they would use their largest ships which would generate the most income as a large ship has larger expenses to break even.

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

But, the charter would be written just like any other ship charter, that any modifications done will be returned to original upon return of the vessel at the end of the charter, so whether they plan to continue using the ships, they will want the government to pay to put them back.  Bet on it.

Officially, I have no say in this matter.  Since I won't be on the ships at the same time as any patients, I couldn't care less.

This is an alternative to what China did by building hospitals "quick". 

Remember - not everyone in a hospital is contagious. Some just need to recover or be observed.

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

This is an alternative to what China did by building hospitals "quick". 

Remember - not everyone in a hospital is contagious. Some just need to recover or be observed.

Except China used their temporary hospitals as Corona wards, ones where everybody is already infected so less concern about infecting other patients.

I like this idea both from a humanitarian standpoint and stockholder view.  I bought shares yesterday <$9 and this good press should help offset some of the negative perceptions as someone else already pointed out.