White House Announcement

sanmarcosman

A bit of positive news.  The question is:  who will they treat or house on the ships and what happens if/when the first case of Corona is identified onboard?  We know from the Diamond that this is only a good idea IF they can ensure that the ship remains virus free.

Whether this offer is accepted or not, the stock popped today on the news -- it was up between 5-10% at various times.  A little good publicity at this moment is a good thing.

Edited by SunNFunCruzer
  • Like 2

Carnival Corporation Extends Offer to Governments and Health Authorities to Consider Cruise Ships as Temporary Hospitals

Initiative would utilize converted cruise ships for non-COVID-19 patients to help relieve pressure on land-based hospitals and free up capacity to care for cases of COVID-19

Source: PRNewsWire

It will be interesting to learn what types of medical assistance is provided on the ships in order to free up beds in hospitals needed for the victims of the virus. I have read that all elective surgeries are to be delayed until further notice so it's not likely to be those types of issues I imagine. 

Edited by sanmarcosman

The revenue from chartering would likely have to be for enough money to service debts, staving off a “bailout“. Getting use of carnivals beds could be a fair trade off and having the industry stay alive is preferable for US shore based service industries in the long run 

2 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Well, the good news is the newer testing kits and procedures get results MUCH faster, so they should (hopefully) only allow people on the ship who have a negative test result. 

As I understand the situation, there are 2 problems: 1) the time it takes/took to get a result and 2) the fact that the results are inconsistent -- you can have 2 negatives then a positive OR 1 positive, 1 negative then 1 positive, which is why you need an initial positive and then two negatives in a row within, I think, 24 hours to be called virus free.  Someone in China was declared virus-free then either was reinfected OR the virus reactivated... I don't think they is any way to know which for sure.

The ships will be good and helpful IF they can ensure they remain virus free.  People are still going to have accidents where they need bones set, stitches, etc.

Let's hope some of these suppressing drugs work.  I'd love for things to get back to "normal" sooner rather than later. People I know are already being laid off.  So sad.

• Like 2

interesting when Carnival offered 3 Fantasy Class ships in 2005 post Katrina to house 1st responders and emergency personnel there was a very different tone on the part of a few posters on CC ( I screen saved a few select postings for a year  that were especially offensive and very insensitive and monitored if they would post an apology at some point with the benefit of hind sight ) ..the CC Board Monitors at that time made a strong effort to remove the more offensive postings in the days following Carnival's announcement 

glad to see the positive change of attitude of the  part of the current  CC posters  who are waiting to see the logistical planning process prior to postings 

• Like 3

It was a sound idea, they have been noticeably quiet (other than a very disturbing earnings call) on the whole topic.  Their ships are all over the world, more berths per ship, I can go on.  They (Royal) were actually the first to jump in to the Bahamas in regards to Dorian.  

I did not know Micky and the President were close enough that Micky can call him.  

22 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yes . 🙂

Please explain. As I see it Micky saw an opportunity to fill a potentially future urgent need.....Hospital beds for the general population that needs them now, NOT related to covid-19. With the pandemic coming to our shores in double time, the U.S. will run out of the capacity to care for the general population who does NOT have covid-19. The covid-19 patients WILL inundate ALL available hospital beds in the U. S. ......

And now, in steps Micky.....again. First Katrina, and now this...offering to use the idle Carnival ships to be made available to the U.S to be used as floating infirmary wards for those people who are sick or injured....But- do NOT have covid-19. Thus opening up those precious beds for those that DO come down with that deadly disease. 

I think that is a noble gesture on Carnival's part. WELL worth considering. It's needed. I say, since they are idle.....why not?!

• Like 1

I would not describe this move as 'noble'. This is a way to generate cash. This could even be the way we "take care of the cruise companies' in repayment for them standing down when President Trump asked.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a good old fashioned win/win, but Carnival is in no position be generous. This is a cash generating/image saving opportunity, nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I would not describe this move as 'noble'. This is a way to generate cash. This could even be the way we "take care of the cruise companies' in repayment for them standing down when President Trump asked.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a good old fashioned win/win, but Carnival is in no position be generous. This is a cash generating/image saving opportunity, nothing more, nothing less. 

Yes, yes. Quite correct. Quite correct. It IS a way to generate much needed capitol. But that is a by product of the humanitarian efforts Carnival put forth in their offering to convert their otherwise idle ships to 'floating hospital wards', which if this outbreak is not contained is only going to get much, much worse before it gets better, as the U.S. will continue to have injuries, disease, sickness that is totally outside of this pandemic. BUT...

You must agree with me that this gesture is no where CLOSE what is needed to plug up the financial bleeding that Carnival is facing. I know that....you know that....we all know that...

Then what is this gesture for? It sure as hell won't solve their financial problems. So why do it........To help out, what else? What do you think? 

That's what I believe, and I am unanimous in my decision(as Mrs. Slocumbe said often in the BBC series: Are You Being Served)

New Orleans may need one of those ships.

NEW ORLEANS — Gov. John Bel Edwards said Thursday that Louisiana is on pace to meet a "worst-case scenario" in which coronavirus cases outpace the state's healthcare capacity as early as next week.

"Our trajectory is basically the same as what they had in Italy," Edwards said at a Thursday news conference following a phone call with President Donald Trump and other governors.

https://www.wwltv.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid-19-cases-could-outpace-new-orleans-healthcare-capacity-by-next-week/289-bc58f88e-79d4-40d6-aaf1-d004e64fb71c

5 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

New Orleans may need one of those ships.

NEW ORLEANS — Gov. John Bel Edwards said Thursday that Louisiana is on pace to meet a "worst-case scenario" in which coronavirus cases outpace the state's healthcare capacity as early as next week.

"Our trajectory is basically the same as what they had in Italy," Edwards said at a Thursday news conference following a phone call with President Donald Trump and other governors.

https://www.wwltv.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid-19-cases-could-outpace-new-orleans-healthcare-capacity-by-next-week/289-bc58f88e-79d4-40d6-aaf1-d004e64fb71c

Sadly, this isn't terribly surprising. Did you see the photos of the parties at French Quarter in the last few days.

Extreme social distancing works. 

33 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Sadly, this isn't terribly surprising. Did you see the photos of the parties at French Quarter in the last few days.

Extreme social distancing works. 

I haven’t seen any parties. New Orleans is dead. Bourbon street was shut down on Sunday. All bars in the state are closed. Restaurants are only open for delivery and carryout. Radio station people are broadcasting from their homes.

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/louisiana/neworleans/bourbonstreet/?cam=bourbonstreet

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1