White House Announcement

sanmarcosman

1 hour ago, rin1 said:

It's a good offer and a pretty necessary offer. Carnival was very slow to respond to the crisis so they have some serious PR points to make up.

Exactly how were they slow to respond?

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

It's a very nice gesture by Carnival, but if they weren't currently shut down and were operating as usual, how generous would they have been? Let's not forget that, if the government takes them up on their offer, Carnival will be generously compensated. Government contracts, which is essentially what it would amount to, are almost always quite lucrative.

If you read their release they have only asked the governments pay the essential costs of the ship's operation while in  port.

3 hours ago, declansdad said:

Exactly how were they slow to respond?

Princess, Royal Caribbean, MSC, etc. had already released statements by the time I found out about my cancelled cruise that was leaving the next day - via presidential tweet. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I wonder if they are going to use tablecloths or continue the cutbacks?

On a more serious note, I wonder how many more people this scares away from cruising because of fears from the ships being previously used to house "sick people"

Sell them Fantasy. Let them make it a permanent hospital ship. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rin1 said:

Princess, Royal Caribbean, MSC, etc. had already released statements by the time I found out about my cancelled cruise that was leaving the next day - via presidential tweet. 

They intended to sail until the directive came out, that is clear. Whether that is slow to respond or a managed decision is pretty moot now.  Slow to decide is 2 hours I believe from Royal. Trivial points, you can be critical of them, but they were the one to step up to the plate.  Period.   Are we really discussing hours of announcements?

I think this is the first Cruise company that is realizing that they need to earn their bailout.  Because many Americans do not want to bail them out over the many many businesses that will probably go under without help.  The CEO is smart with this move and I suspect that more will follow as there are many ports that can be used to help and it also makes them mobile.  Plus some of the staff can still be used to help with food delivery etc. 

10 hours ago, rin1 said:

You do realize that many lines, including Princess, are owned by Carnival right?

Staff would still be needed to do laundry, make beds, cook and serve food not only for patients but to medical staff and staff will be needed to keep up the upkeep of the vessel.   A ship cannot just sit without daily maintenance. Now, a social director and the music staff, and entertainers?  Not so much.

Edited by marshhawk