Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

 

sorry my original post mistakenly said March 27.  I cancelled April 22, chat agent on HAL today told me it was processed on MAY 27.  My typo, my bad - I apologize.

 

Carol

It is mind boggling to me that you canceled your cruise on April 22, 2020 and then HAL Informed you the refund was processed on May 27, 2020. Was your refund for the entire cruise fare?


Our cruise was to start March 21, 2020 and HAL cancelled on March 14, 2020. We requested a refund on March 15, 2020 and as of this writing have not received a cent of our cruise fare. We received a refund for internet packages within a few days of cancelling but that was chump change. We as well as many others are still owed thousands of dollars in refunds. 
 

I am not understanding how a cancellation made more than a month after ours received refund monies before us and other people in our roll call group. Maybe HAL needs to get their ship in order and address this short coming.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, billbunger said:

It is mind boggling to me that you canceled your cruise on April 22, 2020 and then HAL Informed you the refund was processed on May 27, 2020. Was your refund for the entire cruise fare?


Our cruise was to start March 21, 2020 and HAL cancelled on March 14, 2020. We requested a refund on March 15, 2020 and as of this writing have not received a cent of our cruise fare. We received a refund for internet packages within a few days of cancelling but that was chump change. We as well as many others are still owed thousands of dollars in refunds. 
 

I am not understanding how a cancellation made more than a month after ours received refund monies before us and other people in our roll call group. Maybe HAL needs to get their ship in order and address this short coming.

 

 

I hope you have already put this in dispute with your credit card company. That is how I got my refund, not through HAL directly. You need to be proactive in this, not fall victim to what appears to me to be HAL using its customers as their personal bank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Refund update:  62 days after canceling our 5/2021 cruise and requesting a refund of our deposit, our credit card was finally credited today.  My heart goes out to all who have not received their refunds yet.  I  hope the refunds starting speeding up for everyone who are still waiting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billbunger said:

It is mind boggling to me that you canceled your cruise on April 22, 2020 and then HAL Informed you the refund was processed on May 27, 2020. Was your refund for the entire cruise fare?


Our cruise was to start March 21, 2020 and HAL cancelled on March 14, 2020. We requested a refund on March 15, 2020 and as of this writing have not received a cent of our cruise fare. We received a refund for internet packages within a few days of cancelling but that was chump change. We as well as many others are still owed thousands of dollars in refunds. 
 

I am not understanding how a cancellation made more than a month after ours received refund monies before us and other people in our roll call group. Maybe HAL needs to get their ship in order and address this short coming.

 

 

Think we were meant to be on that cruise too. Canceled on March 11 so only received FCC but received Port fee & Taxes last week. Slightly less that previously advised so have gone back for an explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, billbunger said:

It is mind boggling to me that you canceled your cruise on April 22, 2020 and then HAL Informed you the refund was processed on May 27, 2020. Was your refund for the entire cruise fare?


Our cruise was to start March 21, 2020 and HAL cancelled on March 14, 2020. We requested a refund on March 15, 2020 and as of this writing have not received a cent of our cruise fare. We received a refund for internet packages within a few days of cancelling but that was chump change. We as well as many others are still owed thousands of dollars in refunds. 
 

I am not understanding how a cancellation made more than a month after ours received refund monies before us and other people in our roll call group. Maybe HAL needs to get their ship in order and address this short coming.

 

 

 

8 hours ago, billbunger said:

It is mind boggling to me that you canceled your cruise on April 22, 2020 and then HAL Informed you the refund was processed on May 27, 2020. Was your refund for the entire cruise fare?


Our cruise was to start March 21, 2020 and HAL cancelled on March 14, 2020. We requested a refund on March 15, 2020 and as of this writing have not received a cent of our cruise fare. We received a refund for internet packages within a few days of cancelling but that was chump change. We as well as many others are still owed thousands of dollars in refunds. 
 

I am not understanding how a cancellation made more than a month after ours received refund monies before us and other people in our roll call group. Maybe HAL needs to get their ship in order and address this short coming.

 

 

 

This was for a deposit only.......    The cruise was  January 20, 2021..... At that time I also cancelled another cruise for November 2020..,Also a deposit only.

 

Nov 2020 cruise had 2 future cruise deposits holding that reservation.  The January 2021 had also 2 future cruise deposits holding it PLUS additional $400 from credit card, as it was a 32 day itinerary,

 

I had cancelled 5 shorex previously on March 28, for the January sailing.

 

the shorex excursions cancelled end of March were credited back May 8. (41 days)

 

the future cruise deposits (4 of them) were credited back to my card - I requested that as I still have 2 on file still with Mariner account and do not want to stockpile - back on my account beginning May. (

 

The $400 due was credited May 27, according to HAL chat, this AM appearing on credit card with May 28 posting date.  (35 days)

 

These cruises were not cancelled by HAL, but we decided early on against them - no future cruise credits needed to be figured and set to our Mariner numbers, no other finagling - straightforward refund of deposits only and shorex.

 

We had our April Japan Westerdam cancelled this year - but this was the first mass cancellation (Feb 20, and affected 4-5 sailings only for the remainder of Asia season.  

Those refunds were on my credit card within 2 days,

 

My cancelled cruises may not have been in the same pile as those cancelled by HAL, requiring more figuring related to options for refund and/or future cruise credit.   Just conjecture,

 

My thoughts regarding long waiting times for refunds - possible causes

1- first, waiting for the raised capital from the Saudis to be in their pockets.

2- apprising how much they owe along with costs for ongoing fleet in waters.

3 - getting remote set up to work from home, and having to pass the work through higher ups for review and clearance before posting.

4- most importantly I think they may have put daily quotas on daily/weekly refund totals for release. 

- for instance “x” number of refunds below let’s say $2K, “y” number of refunds between $2k and maybe $5 or $10 K, then “z” number of refunds of higher value

 

JMO, could be the paperwork for many refunds is completed, , but the  review panel is controlling the release .    

 

It appears the HAL chat line is giving out more info regarding one’s particular refund - rather than the general, canned response received from calling into HAL.   I was told the refund date along with the last 4 digits of my credit card - and indeed refund did show up a few days later,    

 

Good luck to everyone with their refunds, I know it is frustrating, especially those awaiting large amounts.  Mine was considerably small peanuts, many have way more dollars  at play.

 

Carol

 

 

Edited by CJcruzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

 

 

This was for a deposit only.......    The cruise was  January 20, 2021..... At that time I also cancelled another cruise for November 2020..,Also a deposit only.

 

Nov 2020 cruise had 2 future cruise deposits holding that reservation.  The January 2021 had also 2 future cruise deposits holding it PLUS additional $400 from credit card, as it was a 32 day itinerary,

 

I had cancelled 5 shorex previously on March 28, for the January sailing.

 

the shorex excursions cancelled end of March were credited back May 8. (41 days)

 

the future cruise deposits (4 of them) were credited back to my card - I requested that as I still have 2 on file still with Mariner account and do not want to stockpile - back on my account beginning May. (

 

The $400 due was credited May 27, according to HAL chat, this AM appearing on credit card with May 28 posting date.  (35 days)

 

These cruises were not cancelled by HAL, but we decided early on against them - no future cruise credits needed to be figured and set to our Mariner numbers, no other finagling - straightforward refund of deposits only and shorex.

 

We had our April Japan Westerdam cancelled this year - but this was the first mass cancellation (Feb 20, and affected 4-5 sailings only for the remainder of Asia season.  

Those refunds were on my credit card within 2 days,

 

My cancelled cruises may not have been in the same pile as those cancelled by HAL, requiring more figuring related to options for refund and/or future cruise credit.   Just conjecture,

 

My thoughts regarding long waiting times for refunds - possible causes

1- first, waiting for the raised capital from the Saudis to be in their pockets.

2- apprising how much they owe along with costs for ongoing fleet in waters.

3 - getting remote set up to work from home, and having to pass the work through higher ups for review and clearance before posting.

4- most importantly I think they may have put daily quotas on daily/weekly refund totals for release. 

- for instance “x” number of refunds below let’s say $2K, “y” number of refunds between $2k and maybe $5 or $10 K, then “z” number of refunds of higher value

 

JMO, could be the paperwork for many refunds is completed, , but the  review panel is controlling the release .    

 

It appears the HAL chat line is giving out more info regarding one’s particular refund - rather than the general, canned response received from calling into HAL.   I was told the refund date along with the last 4 digits of my credit card - and indeed refund did show up a few days later,    

 

Good luck to everyone with their refunds, I know it is frustrating, especially those awaiting large amounts.  Mine was considerably small peanuts, many have way more dollars  at play.

 

Carol

 

 

Interesting, but it's all conjecture - and not everyone is having success with live chat. The bottom line is they are holding on to deposits irresponsibly. If they file for bankruptcy, people who have a right to timely refunds will lose their money. No one should be waiting two months or longer for refunds - if you are, please begin the dispute process with your credit card company. And with 2,000 layoffs HAL announced, the delays will most likely get worse.

Edited by promosinc
added sentence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not understand the patience of some people.  I put it down to misplaced vendor loyalty.  

 

Cannot imagine anyone thinking that 60, 90 days wait for a refund is reasonable.  It is not.    Credit card dispute route is the way to go....and earlier rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

Nov 2020 cruise had 2 future cruise deposits holding that reservation.

We were also booked on the November 2020 Transatlantic and had only a deposit on it, paid with a Future Cruise Deposit Certificate.  HAL cancelled this cruise on May 7th, when the cancelled all European cruises for 2020.  

Today we received our FCC and additional FCC.  I am surprised at how quickly they were issued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked my credit card online this evening and we just received (June 2, 2020) the refund credit minus the charge for HAL’s top tier cancellation insurance for the April 18, 2020 Oosterdam Mexican Riviera cruise that we cancelled on March13, 2020.
 

Now we wait for the big refund for the March 21, 2020 28 day Hawaii - Tahiti cruise cancelled by HAL on a March 14, 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am happy to say we have finally received all refunds for our five cruises we cancelled in mid March.  The last and biggest came in last night from Silverseas.  I will say everyone was equally slow.  We had four vendors HAL, Hurtengruten, Oceania and Silverseas.  None of them took less then 60 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2020 at 10:48 AM, Ukulele Dude said:

Canceled our almost fully paid July cruise on March 17, 2020 through AAA, our travel agent, and here was her response back then:

 

"Please note your booking has been cancelled, and charges will be reversed by cruiseline . It may take  a couple of billing cycles as they work through on priority basis of immediate urgency. , check in with your bank in a couple of weeks. "
 
Not sure what a billing cycle was, so I followed up with TA on April 7 and was told "Taking between 60-90 days as they service worldwide, patience will be the key at this time."
 
Well to say this least, it's been fun while it lasted.   Holland America - quick to take my money when booking, slower than molasses in winter when refunding.  First cruise; last cruise.  For now I'll hold my breath and I'll post when (hopefully not "if") I get my refund.  Good luck to you all.
 
 
 

 

Finally got my refund from HAL.  78 days!  Seems that this industry really needs some oversight to protect consumers in the US.  Perhaps the TA should hold funds in escrow as a lot of these cruises aren't exactly chump change. 

 

My lesson learned: Pay the least amount possible for the longest possible time.  Good luck to you all.  Hang in there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ukulele Dude said:

 

Finally got my refund from HAL.  78 days!  Seems that this industry really needs some oversight to protect consumers in the US.  Perhaps the TA should hold funds in escrow as a lot of these cruises aren't exactly chump change. 

 

My lesson learned: Pay the least amount possible for the longest possible time.  Good luck to you all.  Hang in there!

 

I think billing cycle usually refers to that of your credit card company, so less than 30 days. You'd be wise to put these charges in dispute now. I completely agree with you there needs to be some oversight for consumer protection. What's going on is taking advantage of their customers. Very shortsighted, if you ask me. I won't be booking again with a company that chose to hang on to my money for an inappropriately long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancelled Veendam April 16,2020 on March 12 and finally received our 50% refund Tuesday June 2.....balance to be in a FCC....Anybody know how your contacted about the FCC; email?..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ukulele Dude said:

 

Finally got my refund from HAL.  78 days!  Seems that this industry really needs some oversight to protect consumers in the US.  Perhaps the TA should hold funds in escrow as a lot of these cruises aren't exactly chump change. 

 

My lesson learned: Pay the least amount possible for the longest possible time.  Good luck to you all.  Hang in there!

 

We cancelled our two fully paid for June cruises on March 17 also.  Still nothing from HAL and today is 79 days.  I am hoping we get some good news like you did and get that refund in the next few days.  Otherwise we will be forced to dispute the charges with Capital One.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fatfish said:

Cancelled Veendam April 16,2020 on March 12 and finally received our 50% refund Tuesday June 2.....balance to be in a FCC....Anybody know how your contacted about the FCC; email?..

 

I cancelled my April 19th cruise on March 7th, 2020.  I received my 50% refund quickly but  I have received no information whatsoever on my FCC so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A number of people have posted on Facebook sites that they've received their refunds - good news for those who are waiting.  At least they're starting.

 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 6:03 AM, KirkNC said:

I am happy to say we have finally received all refunds for our five cruises we cancelled in mid March.  The last and biggest came in last night from Silverseas.  I will say everyone was equally slow.  We had four vendors HAL, Hurtengruten, Oceania and Silverseas.  None of them took less then 60 days.

I had 2 canceeles cruises...one HAL and one Celebrity. Celebrity refunded within a week. Still haven't gotten HAL refund and we cancelled on March 30. I filed claim with Citi Card and they put in temp refund but stated that the vendor has 2 months to respond to their inquiry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

I had 2 canceeles cruises...one HAL and one Celebrity. Celebrity refunded within a week. Still haven't gotten HAL refund and we cancelled on March 30. I filed claim with Citi Card and they put in temp refund but stated that the vendor has 2 months to respond to their inquiry. 

Well if refunds are handled in any kind of order I would think yours would come in the next few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

I cancelled my April 19th cruise on March 7th, 2020.  I received my 50% refund quickly but  I have received no information whatsoever on my FCC so far.

Did you check with your TA?  We never received notice on our FCC, our TA told us otherwise I would not even know it was there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Fatfish said:

Cancelled Veendam April 16,2020 on March 12 and finally received our 50% refund Tuesday June 2.....balance to be in a FCC....Anybody know how your contacted about the FCC; email?..

Our experience was you are not contacted, you or your TA have to inquire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Did you check with your TA?  We never received notice on our FCC, our TA told us otherwise I would not even know it was there.

 

Thanks.  I’ve seen other people posting that they got emails confirming their FCC.  Appreciate your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kazu said:

 

Thanks.  I’ve seen other people posting that they got emails confirming their FCC.  Appreciate your input.

Not surprising as HAL is consistently inconsistent unless of course those reporting such had sent an email asking about the status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since FCC is "tied" to your Mariner number I wonder if it will appear if you do a "booking" without going all the way pass payment.

I have tried this several times for HAL March 2020 cancel - no luck.

Called Mariner Society several days ago  - nothing tied to Mariner number yet(?)

Talked to HAL reservations yesterday - say I am entitled to FCC but no estimate on date.

 

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cancelled my May 2020 cruise on 3/13. I was told by my TA on 4/13 that the FCC can take up to 6 weeks (which we are WELL past) and refunds are taking up to 90 days. Received refunds for both cabins (less the deposit for each cabin) yesterday. Haven't received anything about FCC from HAL, though technically I did receive the refund within 90 days of cancelling. Other than the FCC, the only thing I'm waiting for is a refund of the cabana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kazu said:

 

I cancelled my April 19th cruise on March 7th, 2020.  I received my 50% refund quickly but  I have received no information whatsoever on my FCC so far.

Send an inquiry through your Mariners Profile. Ours was issued but not showing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...