SS Norway

mkcurran

I am loving this thread also.  It is a comfort amid all the current frightening news, and situations with cruise lines, airlines, hotels and the travel industry in general.  My cruise on Norway was twenty one years ago, and I look back over those years and see so many life altering events for our world.  I am feeling down about it all right now, but this thread, bringing back good memories helps me cope.  Thanks to OP for starting this, and helping us all remember better times.

• Like 2

This thread made my day! Our favorite ship with so many amazing memories. Our first Transatlantic, never matched. Every cabin was different. I literally remember the numbers and location of each. One way down on Biscayne deck where the bathroom was actually bigger than the bedroom, with black and white tile floor and a claw foot tub. Another a suite with wraparound balcony overlooking the fantail. Another inside right next to the “back staircase” going down into the main dining room. We travelled each time with our young son...one of very few kids unlike cruising today. That mural in the kids’ playroom! I’ll need to pull out photo albums as a coronavirus lockdown activity.

• Like 1

My wife and I sailed on her for our honeymoon. Our first cruise and still the best we had.  Never forget the last day at sea she won the bingo jackpot.  We came home with over $2000 in small bills because that's all they had.  A jackhammer couldn't break her grip on her purse coming home!  

• Like 2

@Yorkvillainhas been posting a "live review of the Song of Norway" over on the Royal Caribbean Boards, and I have been posting a few pictures from the SS Norway under the premise of booking the wrong Norway.  I hope I haven't offended him by contributing some to that thread, but is is fun, and brings back a lot of memories of this ship.  Be sure to check his out.

In the meantime, here is the post card of the Norway (the SS one) from 1980.  I have all the dailies from our 1980 sailing, as well as the brochure and many other things I could scan and post if anyone is interested.

Scan2.thumb.jpg.464d9b2f95c0cf445a2b67289d3df479.jpg

• Like 5

@Yorkvillainhas been posting a "live review of the Song of Norway" over on the Royal Caribbean Boards, and I have been posting a few pictures from the SS Norway under the premise of booking the wrong Norway.  I hope I haven't offended him by contributing some to that thread,

Lol. Of course not. I’m glad I’m not the only one cruising this week!
  • Like 2

Since we all seem to have lots of  time on our hands right now, I scanned a few more of my 1995 honeymoon photos from the Norway.  What a magnificent ship she was!  My DH and I still laugh when we think about it...in 1994, we were sitting on the terrace at Crawdaddy's restaurant in Miami watching the Norway sail out Gov't cut when DH proposed to me.  Then, exactly a year later, we were on the Norway on our  honeymoon, as we sailed past Crawdaddy's (now Smith & Wolensky). Great memories!

(on the 4th photo, the little sign says "Caution, when heaving, watch out  for the davit lock".  I often wondered if that meant when deploying the lift raft or after having too much to drink......LOL!

I bought the booklet below in the Norway gift shop onboard - a complete pictoral history of the ship.  I still have it tucked away in my bin of photos.

History of Norway booklet.jpeg

img004.jpg

img010.jpg

img009.jpg

img006.jpg

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 2

Such different times.  No safes in the cabins - we stored our valuables in safe deposit box at the purser's desk.   We had a paper card to show when we made onboard purchases and upon returning to the ship at the ports.    Little or no food available between scheduled meal times.  We have memories of coming back from excursions starving before our late seating dinner, searching the bars for maybe nuts in a jar LOL!    No internet access, but music was piped into the cabins with controls on the headboard to pick the genre, such as classical or jazz.  

The Norway just looked so different from other cruise ships at the time.  Looooooog, blue, classic ocean liner profile, and those distinctive stacks.  We always got excited to see her in ports when we were on other ships.  

on board the Norway.jpg

the Great Outdoor Restaurant.jpg

• Like 3

Norway was our first cruise in 97. Has been my most built model that have built. I converted a SS France model into the Norway. A model I donated is in the?Captains office the Breakaway. I attached a picture of a Norway I built a few months back.

20200120_092354.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you everyone for the great pictures.  Brings back so many wonderful memories.  I remember we were on her maybe 36 years ago and they were filming a television special with Anne Murray and Richard Simmons.  They asked for passenger volunteers to be up on the sundeck and do the exercises with Richard Simmons.  Of course we did!  I think they may have even filmed by helicopter to get a panoramic view.  Quite something for the time.  I remember watching the show when it aired.  We might have even recorded it at the time.  Of course it's would have been on a VHS tape!

Really enjoying this thread.  Keep the memories coming!

• Like 1