Hope Royal does not do this....

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I saw online this afternoon that Trump is speaking with Carnival cruises about possibility using their ships for corona patients.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241336261.html

It is a nice offer but I don't think it is a good idea for several reasons.     

What are your thoughts?     What if Royal did this, would you get on that cruise ship for a future cruise?

Why not? It's a great idea!! 

As mentioned, narrow hallways and narrow doorways of most staterooms mean ships are not ideal.  Then there are the tiny bathrooms with a step up...not good for hospital use.  Then there is the limited electrical service to each stateroom, while modern care uses lots of power.  And the actual medical facilities aboard are limited.  If these areas needing hospital, with no power, no water purification after a natural disaster, a ship would be a blessing.  In this situation, nice gesture, but probably not the best option.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/fema-paid-millions-half-empty-floating-hotel-after-hurricane-maria

This is the kind of crap Carnival is trying to pull again. It’s worked out for them a couple of times before. Smart move for them, make it sound look like they are donating empty ships for use as a gesture of good will. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrewFoundLander said:

In a time of possible life and death acute need I don't care what they use or how it impacts my future travel/leisure/vacation. Just my opinion.

I agree.  it is good if they can help

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I saw online this afternoon that Trump is speaking with Carnival cruises about possibility using their ships for corona patients.

What are your thoughts?     What if Royal did this, would you get on that cruise ship for a future cruise?

It’s an easily-killed bug on surfaces, not nuclear waste.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Heck yeah!

Not only would I cruise, I would purposefully run my tongue all the way along the hand rail to my cabin at embarkation just to annoy you.

3 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Even it it were for COVID19, I would sail on it.  Heck, the idea of helping out is a good thing- they've got thousands of beds not being used at all...  Maybe generate a small revenue for the ships, keep the crew busy, etc.  

And it's not as if the ships are VERY familiar with dealing with viruses and outbreaks.  That ship will be super, super clean.

I have always liked how rcl helps out everyone in a time if need.   One main reason it probably wouldn't work is the ventilation system on cruise ships.  As cruisers kept talking about with diamond princess.    That is why I dont think cruise ships or their crew would work well as someone else posted.  I think a better idea is motels/hotels that have individual hvac systems to be used to house patients. 

Even better let's all do our best to fight this virus so we can all get back to work, school and cruising.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I saw that somewhere in Washington State the County or State was purchasing an Econo Lodge to house corona patients because each room has it own ventilation system.     I thought that was a great idea.    A lot of motels/hotels have that type of individual HVAC systems.    I wonder if the sale was finalized and up and running now. 

I don't care how much they clean.   I truly don't think I would want to get on a cruise ship that was used as a remote hospital for patients.       Stay Well and fight the curve!

The ships could be used for non-Corona Virus patients.  While Hospitals would take care of the Corona patients.  That is what they are doing with the Navy Medical ship "USNS Comfort" that going to NYC.  Also, "USNS Mercy" will be going to L.A.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Meanwhile, a whole bunch of hotels, probably much closer to the hospitals stay empty?

At least, in these 2 cases and probably other cities the surge in Virus cases is that the hospitals will be swamped and not  enough beds to accommodate all patients. I do know that in NYC the ship was requested by the Authorities as it was when 9-11 occurred.

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Meanwhile, a whole bunch of hotels, probably much closer to the hospitals stay empty?

The question wasn't should they do this- as logically there are better choices.

The question is whether you would sail on the ship if they do use rooms as hospital rooms.

And who knows, at some point, some really large cities may run out of hotel  and dorm rooms and could use a few thousand more rooms.  I sure hope not, but the possibility is still there (just as it is that it will level out soon, and calm down in 8 weeks).  

Wow, quite a difference of opinion here. After spending the last few dark days in a hospital with a loved one,  I can say that I agree with those who would rather have an inconvenient bed on a cruise ship than no bed at all.

Can we not live by the words,  Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy”  and be glad that some are willing to help in this crisis?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nelblu said:

The ships could be used for non-Corona Virus patients.  While Hospitals would take care of the Corona patients.  That is what they are doing with the Navy Medical ship "USNS Comfort" that going to NYC.  Also, "USNS Mercy" will be going to L.A.

That is great!    I am very impressed with how everyone in my neighborhood is pulling together to help out everyone.   We use the nextdoor neighbor app.   If your neighborhood uses this app you may want to check it out.   Great way to keep in touch.      A little compassion goes a long way!    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

And who knows, at some point, some really large cities may run out of hotel  and dorm rooms and could use a few thousand more rooms. 

If it ever comes to that, it's not toilet paper folks need to worry about, but guns.

On 3/19/2020 at 4:18 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

You obviously didn’t read the article, For Non COVID 19 Patients.
I think it a good idea , why not free up hospital beds if you can . Don’t get why you would have a problem  with this.

Edited by Midwestgal

38 minutes ago, Midwestgal said:

You obviously didn’t read the article, For Non COVID 19 Patients.
I think it a good idea , why not free up hospital beds if you can . Don’t get why you would have a problem  with this.

You are right I did Not see that it said for Non Covid patients.  As I said on other posts i think that is a great idea.    Let's all try to be nice to everyone as we are all stressed out.  Stay Well!

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You are right I did Not see that it said for Non Covid patients.  As I said on other posts i think that is a great idea.    Let's all try to be nice to everyone as we are all stressed out.  Stay Well!

Absolutely, stay safe ...thnaks.

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

here's a possibility

Everyone, I read a news article and I over reacted. I misread it and immediately linked it on cruise critic. You all brought it to my attention that I was mistaken and that it is the intention of the cruiselines to use the ships only for non-Covid-19 patients.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Please know that I have put myself into a self imposed time out. If we ever cruise together I will happily buy the first round of drinks. Please stay safe. 

• Like 3