Level 4 travel warning

krittykat

We were considering a few different options. New Zealand and Australia, A East coast/Panama Canal to LA, a Viking Switzerland to Amsterdam type thing this Christmas, a UK or Norway cruise, Alaska again, or maybe just a land trip to London - Scotland, or maybe even Singapore. Too many options, and we were just beginning to start to discuss it with tech support (the kids). One wanted Hawaii, one wants Singapore. Either would get on any ship if the day of the week had a 'y' in it, and there was water involved. Me too.

Realistically, I think we are going to see the industry shut down for an extended period of time. There will be a severe cull of the smaller, more marginal operators, and maybe even some of the niche operators disappearing. I see major mergers. NCL-Carnival, Princess-Holland America, type of mergers. Maybe someone like Bezos stepping in and buying a couple of operators and calling it Amazon Lines. Who knows. He seems to have a monopoly on everything else.

I think the world is about to take a step backwards in time by about twenty years. Not technologically, but financially, and in our ability to travel like we have become used to. I see this situation as just getting started, and we will all be deeply changed at the end of it. What really saddens me is countries with large and dense populations like India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. Even some of the South American mega-cities like Mexico City and Sao Paulo. I fear the death toll there is going to be biblical. Africa. Maybe even Russia.

At the end of the day we on here will still be able to travel if we want to. But I suspect that in a year or two the world will have changed, and so will have we. I expect that nearly all of us will have lost someone, and will have suffered in some way, and we will be busy getting back on our feet, and carrying on. Cruising is for the good times. I don't think we are going to see many good times for a while. I hope I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

We were considering a few different options. New Zealand and Australia, A East coast/Panama Canal to LA, a Viking Switzerland to Amsterdam type thing this Christmas, a UK or Norway cruise, Alaska again, or maybe just a land trip to London - Scotland, or maybe even Singapore. Too many options, and we were just beginning to start to discuss it with tech support (the kids). One wanted Hawaii, one wants Singapore. Either would get on any ship if the day of the week had a 'y' in it, and there was water involved. Me too.

Realistically, I think we are going to see the industry shut down for an extended period of time. There will be a severe cull of the smaller, more marginal operators, and maybe even some of the niche operators disappearing. I see major mergers. NCL-Carnival, Princess-Holland America, type of mergers. Maybe someone like Bezos stepping in and buying a couple of operators and calling it Amazon Lines. Who knows. He seems to have a monopoly on everything else.

I think the world is about to take a step backwards in time by about twenty years. Not technologically, but financially, and in our ability to travel like we have become used to. I see this situation as just getting started, and we will all be deeply changed at the end of it. What really saddens me is countries with large and dense populations like India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. Even some of the South American mega-cities like Mexico City and Sao Paulo. I fear the death toll there is going to be biblical. Africa. Maybe even Russia.

At the end of the day we on here will still be able to travel if we want to. But I suspect that in a year or two the world will have changed, and so will have we. I expect that nearly all of us will have lost someone, and will have suffered in some way, and we will be busy getting back on our feet, and carrying on. Cruising is for the good times. I don't think we are going to see many good times for a while. I hope I'm wrong.

I think that you are right....I would advise everyone to get their cash refunds asap otherwise you will only lose it.  That is a lot of money to lose.  there will be no future cruise credit (that only allows the cruise line more time to figure out to go bankrupt)  and they will.  The cruise industry is done for now.  

This is just the beginning, viruses are evolving I think things are about to get a lot worse.  If you think that you will be cruising next year keep dreaming.  it may take longer. get your money back and run.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 9:34 AM, krittykat said:

That is what I am trying to figure out. I have a cruise on April 12 out of New Orleans. NOLA is becoming a hot spot right now. This is coming from CDC information, not media fear spreading. I am from Washington State where they are discussing a shelter in place mandate.  I am not sure what other states are doing across the country but the West Coast is not the place to live right now.

Take my world New Orleans is what got the hot ball rolling here in Louisiana. Over half the cases in this small state are in New Orleans. The whole state is on lack down for 2 weeks. No way would i sail out of New Orleans as soon as April 12 if NCL starts back up that soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Take my world New Orleans is what got the hot ball rolling here in Louisiana. Over half the cases in this small state are in New Orleans. The whole state is on lack down for 2 weeks. No way would i sail out of New Orleans as soon as April 12 if NCL starts back up that soon.

I live in Washington state. I wish the our governor would order a lock down. While there are closures of restaurants and the like, requests for social distancing....we continue to see family groups playing together at the park...going to the beach...etc.  20 somethings feel this whole infection does not effect them...only older people so they don't need to follow. And infection numbers continue to climb.

COVID-19 doesn't discriminate on the basis of age - resident at an elite international "house" here in NYC is among the latest, sadly ... 

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-student-died-international-house-20200322-kioxmkckczg4xnia6ljrrkdgem-story.html

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/coronavirus-infected-rep-ben-mcadams-hospitalized-with-trouble-breathing/

Ventilators - #thoughts & #prayers - 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/12-year-old-coronavirus-patient-fighting-for-her-life-on-ventilator-in-atlanta-hospital/

The call-up, mobilization and activation has gone out, recalling retirees - especially state-licensed medical personnel in NYC already, as those numbers continued to climb.  USNS Comfort is expected to arrive in another week or so, fully staffed and operational to support NY.  I have a feeling that we might see another cruise ship coming to NY sooner rather than later, to boost the surge capacity.  These ships won't be going anywhere ... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, krittykat said:

I live in Washington state. I wish the our governor would order a lock down. While there are closures of restaurants and the like, requests for social distancing....we continue to see family groups playing together at the park...going to the beach...etc.  20 somethings feel this whole infection does not effect them...only older people so they don't need to follow. And infection numbers continue to climb.

He is making the announcement at 5.30pm PST today.

19 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

He is making the announcement at 5.30pm PST today.

Oregon just ordered a lockdown this morning so I expect Inslee to follow suit. This last weekend saw a significant increase in new cases and hundreds of people being non compliant with social distancing 

• Like 1

This is closing in rapidly on NCL and the rest of the cruise industry. Army field hospitals being deployed; floating hospitals being deployed; lockdowns happening throughout. Some will say sensationalism and overreaction. Not.

But like it or not, these April cruises don't stand a chance. The ships are mostly empty right now anyway based on a review of cabin availability, so the amount of impacted passengers is probably much, much lower than usual.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 1:32 AM, Love my butler said:

No concern at all.  As an adult, I am intelligent enough to make my own life decisions.  Believe it or not, I don't rely on the government to 'take care of me'.  Don't buckle to the media attempting to spread panic and fear.

Really the government doesn't take care of you. So do you use the roads or bridges? You fixing the potholes?  Building new bridges or fixing the old ones? If your house burns you won't need the fire department to help you?  You must have big water hoses in your backyard. If you've been robbed or your car stolen you won't go to the police to get it back. Don't tell me you're part bloodhound.. Your on a cruise and need to be airlifted to a hospital you are gonna do it on your own. Right. So your saying you do all of this on your OWN. Talk about fake news. Believe it or not we meaning me, you and everyone in this country IS the government. Maybe when you learn that then you're an adult. Just saying IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, janerd said:

Really the government doesn't take care of you. So do you use the roads or bridges? You fixing the potholes?  Building new bridges or fixing the old ones? If your house burns you won't need the fire department to help you?  You must have big water hoses in your backyard. If you've been robbed or your car stolen you won't go to the police to get it back. Don't tell me you're part bloodhound.. Your on a cruise and need to be airlifted to a hospital you are gonna do it on your own. Right. So your saying you do all of this on your OWN. Talk about fake news. Believe it or not we meaning me, you and everyone in this country IS the government. Maybe when you learn that then you're an adult. Just saying IMHO.

Haha, you do realize all those services you mentioned I PAID FOR right.  You know, taxes.  That means I take care of myself.  If I get airlifted anywhere, I get to pay for that service.  Nothing in life is free.  Part of being an adult and paying my taxes is freedom.  I get to decide where I go and what I do.  The precious government you speak of, doesn't get to decide that for me.  Just like YOU don't get to tell me where I go or what I do, no matter how much you wish you could.

As our great former President Reagan said, "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."  No thanks

Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.

KAG!

1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

Haha, you do realize all those services you mentioned I PAID FOR right.  You know, taxes.  That means I take care of myself.  If I get airlifted anywhere, I get to pay for that service.  Nothing in life is free.  Part of being an adult and paying my taxes is freedom.  I get to decide where I go and what I do.  The precious government you speak of, doesn't get to decide that for me.  Just like YOU don't get to tell me where I go or what I do, no matter how much you wish you could.

As our great former President Reagan said, "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."  No thanks

Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.

KAG!

WOW you still don't get it,you really don't.  That's your reply I PAID FOR IT.  You paid for all the bridges you used in your life. You paid for all the police, fire trucks and all the military equipment our country uses, well just wow. Being able to pay your taxes has absolutely nothing to do with being an adult at all. I don't care where you go or what you do with your life, why would you even think that. Narcissist much. Reagan was a governor and a president so he was the leader of his state then the country, so he's saying in his quote that he himself can't be trusted and he's part of your so called Government is not the solution but you reply to him as our great former president. So he was great and part of the so called not to be trusted  government. See how can anyone believe what you say when you say the government can't be trusted but you call reagen great, unless you mean he was a great actor, but that's not the context your statement said. So how can you say Reagan was great when he was apart of the government that you hate.  Your argument makes absolutely no sense, but by the kag at the bottom I now understand why. LOL. Have a great cruise. P.S. Even though you PAID for your cruise, the ships not yours. Just sayin.

• Like 1

I'm at work now, and just about every patient in the ER is a rule out COVID. Most will come back negative, but it only takes one person who is positive to get on a ship to start infecting people all over again. They may lift the cruising ban, but I wonder how many people will want to take the risk of handing over a lot of money, or getting stuck in quarantine somewhere for weeks with people getting sick around them.

• Like 2

Like this couple in their 60's from Arizona that're apparently infected, listened to the preacher's advice and self-medicated.  It is a malaria drug that is also used to clean fish tank, not proven to work and let alone approved for COVID-19.  Sadly, he passed - RIP - and but she is in critical care.   It has also been reported on "fake" news with a bit more "unfair" drama (maybe) so I link this instead ... 

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/covid-19-remedy-touted-by-trump-kills-arizona-man-wife-critical-11460391

From a disaster triage standpoint - that's both good & bad - in possibly freeing up 1 of 2 hospital beds in MedSurg, if not ICU for 3 to 4 weeks and definitely, one less ventilator to worry about.  New York City might be the new "Wuhan" but we are probably a little bit ahead of the steep curve and racing to see if we can flatten it.  Not going to look at WA or CA for surprises and instead, I would be worried about Arizona, followed by Florida, Texas & Georgia ... where the ninja mode of community infection are most certainly, quieting spreading and being asymptomatic, slipping under the "radar".  With the Spring allergy season coming earlier, it can be very easily missed. 

Countries around the world are just starting to lock down their borders and issued orders to close up non-essential businesses to contain the spread ... I would paid attention to "their" travel warnings and measures as a better indicator and benchmark on what is ahead.   

Cruising soon - read this & think for a moment - https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/us/diamond-princess-cruise-ship-asymptomatic-tests/index.html

Stay health & be safe, travel smartly for those that must for essential reasons, in the coming weeks.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Like this couple in their 60's from Arizona that're apparently infected, listened to the preacher's advice and self-medicated.  It is a malaria drug that is also used to clean fish tank, not proven to work and let alone approved for COVID-19.  Sadly, he passed - RIP - and but she is in critical care.   It has also been reported on "fake" news with a bit more "unfair" drama (maybe) so I link this instead ... 

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/covid-19-remedy-touted-by-trump-kills-arizona-man-wife-critical-11460391

From a disaster triage standpoint - that's both good & bad - in possibly freeing up 1 of 2 hospital beds in MedSurg, if not ICU for 3 to 4 weeks and definitely, one less ventilator to worry about.  New York City might be the new "Wuhan" but we are probably a little bit ahead of the steep curve and racing to see if we can flatten it.  Not going to look at WA or CA for surprises and instead, I would be worried about Arizona, followed by Florida, Texas & Georgia ... where the ninja mode of community infection are most certainly, quieting spreading and being asymptomatic, slipping under the "radar".  With the Spring allergy season coming earlier, it can be very easily missed. 

Countries around the world are just starting to lock down their borders and issued orders to close up non-essential businesses to contain the spread ... I would paid attention to "their" travel warnings and measures as a better indicator and benchmark on what is ahead.   

Cruising soon - read this & think for a moment - https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/us/diamond-princess-cruise-ship-asymptomatic-tests/index.html

Stay health & be safe, travel smartly for those that must for essential reasons, in the coming weeks.  

Just saw that on the news and interview with the wife. 

Meanwhile Diamond Princess room tested positive 17 days later.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:48 AM, mdsgu said:

We have a 15 day on the Jade, Rome to Amsterday, scheduled for May 1-16.  NCL just sent me an Upgrade Advantage email to try to get me to bid for a cabin upgrade!

NCL also says they would never sail to a country under a Level 4 travel warning.  If that is true, they can't sail anywhere right now, because the State Dept put the entire globe under a Level 4 warning.  Waiting for them to cancel to claim a refund.....

I'm on the Jade out of Amsterdam on the 16th.  I think it will be cancelled.  Even if things are better in the US, it's doubtful all those countries will be opening their ports anytime soon.  There's no point in a 14 day cruise that can't stop anywhere.

I am hoping to get my April 12 cruise refunded. However if I cant...I hope to rebook for 12/20 and things would be settled by then.  I am really hoping things will be calmed dow by mid August as hubby and I are doing a river cruise in Europe for our 35th