Jump to content

Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)


Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

There will be no refund. RCI has gutted its bank account, CEO, staff and its loyal customers. What future is there? It’s dead.

 

There's certainly more going on here than a delay due to volume, the refunds would already be trickling out.  Most of us have had cruises cancel due to charters, it is pretty instantaneous.  If March refunds were going to take up to 90 days to process, 1/3 of you would already have credits by now, averaging about 8.3% per week.  

 

I have a $550 open booking with Azamara, probably worthless at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

BTW -  I also filed a dispute with Chase Sapphire for a Cancelled cruise with a Cash refund and 2 upgrades that I won.   I mostly filed because I didn't want to pay an additional $8,000 which was coming due shortly.   

 

Chase issued a credit by the next morning.   I believe the credit is a temporary credit while they investigate.     Usually a merchant have 45 days to respond to a charge back if they choose to dispute.  

Jim, are you saying you cancelled a cruise before final payment and the deposit is what you disputed?  When was the deposit made?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I were booked on the Edge for 3/15-22.  We saw the writing on the wall and cancelled 6 days before sailing, on 3/9.  Then two days later Celebrity cancelled the cruise, issuing all of those passengers 125% credit as opposed to 100%.  I've called, spoken to "supervisor", no luck.  This is absurd.  It wouldn't be so bad if the same cruise next year was the same price, but of course they've raised their prices.  We have been loyal Celebrity guests for many years.  They're going to lose us.  Suggestions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Jim, are you saying you cancelled a cruise before final payment and the deposit is what you disputed?  When was the deposit made?

Sorry for the confusion.   

 

Celebrity Cancelled my cruise the night before it was suppose to happen.   Actually it was a B2B2B so I had 3 cruises in a row and our 4/30 cruise to Alaska was cancelled a couple weeks later. 

 

On the first 2 cruises I disputed the Move-Up bid that was awarded and charged to my credit card 3 days before my cruises.  

 

For the Alaska Cruise I had 2 rooms booked and decided to accept the 100% cash back instead of the FCC.   Since this was only booked recently and within the 60 day credit card limit I also disputed these charges.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lauderdale cruiser said:

My wife and I were booked on the Edge for 3/15-22.  We saw the writing on the wall and cancelled 6 days before sailing, on 3/9.  Then two days later Celebrity cancelled the cruise, issuing all of those passengers 125% credit as opposed to 100%.  I've called, spoken to "supervisor", no luck.  This is absurd.  It wouldn't be so bad if the same cruise next year was the same price, but of course they've raised their prices.  We have been loyal Celebrity guests for many years.  They're going to lose us.  Suggestions?

 

I understand your disappointment and sympathize with you.

 

You made the decision to cancel and accepted the terms of the cancellation when you made it so can understand why Celebrity is sticking to the terms you selected.    The difference is in your case you will get a cash refund while those that were cancelled had a choice of either the 100% cash refund (back to your credit card) or a 125% FCC.  

 

None of us know what will happen but you may be in a much better position if RCL were to file bankruptcy and your 125% FCC were to become worthless.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I received an email from Celebrity yesterday saying that the refund of my full cruise cost (that they requested on 19th March) will be with my travel agent by the end of this week or the beginning of next. I will contact my travel agent next week to see if this is the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how the delayed refund strategy is going to be sustainable much longer. More folks will open up credit card disputes. Card companies can revoke merchant accounts to those businesses with high chargeback rates. Going to get to the point where you have to use cash to book a cruise. I don't think many would be comfortable with that. 

Edited by coaster
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still on the fence between waiting for the refunds for a March 29th and an April 5th cruise that were cancelled by X.  I requested a refund instead of an FCC on March 14th and 16th respectively.  Haven't received any notification from X but I'm in the wait 30-60-90 days/business days period.  I've also paid in full for a June 6th cruise that I expect will also get cancelled.  Perhaps I'll call Capital One and see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Roddo said:

I received an email from Celebrity yesterday saying that the refund of my full cruise cost (that they requested on 19th March) will be with my travel agent by the end of this week or the beginning of next. I will contact my travel agent next week to see if this is the case.

Huh? 

Don't they refund your credit card?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MartiniBarhooked said:

When you dispute a charge the Card Company does immediatly credit your account.  But unless the dispute is settled it will automatically be charged again.

We filed 2 disputes each  approx 30 days after sep cruise cancellations. The credit balances were then deducted from the card and we were sent notices that checks for the credit balances were mailed to us .  Hope so!

 

Cred card co gave us a dispute no each time, and asked us to mail or fax a few documents which we did,     BUT  within a day or two of calling  our  money was back on the card.  Yet  it seems the disputes were still pending, but then were marked resolved. 

 

I suspect the card notified the  cruise line right away somehow and this pushed out our refunds. Can't be 2 coincidences, right? 

Edited by hcat
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roddo said:

I booked through a travel agent (not directly with Celebrity) so the refund comes through them 

They may run it differently in the UK.  I give my TA my credit card, and she files it with Celebrity for final payment.  Any refunds come back directly to my credit card.  🍷

Edited by Wine-O
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roddo said:

I received an email from Celebrity yesterday saying that the refund of my full cruise cost (that they requested on 19th March) will be with my travel agent by the end of this week or the beginning of next. I will contact my travel agent next week to see if this is the case.

 

Wow, I never considered this wrinkle.  So if your TA should go out of business because no one is traveling and the next 12 months look bleak, they may pocket your refund and file for bankruptcy without returning it to you?  I hadn't consider that additional risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How long should it take for funds to go back into your CC ? I received notification about one refund of an excursion 14 days ago and it still has not appeared. I have since had notification about my 100% refund and 2 more excursions but I will  hold my breath on them coming .

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Roddo said:

I booked through a travel agent (not directly with Celebrity) so the refund comes through them 

This may again be a difference of a NON-North American booking.    Usually in the U.S. all payment made through a TA are directly processed by Celebrity and when a credit is issued the issue back to the original form of payment.   This may be different with some Big agency's that handle your booking as a group booking.

 

My Travel agent is advised of my Credits and FCC's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roddo said:

I received an email from Celebrity yesterday saying that the refund of my full cruise cost (that they requested on 19th March) will be with my travel agent by the end of this week or the beginning of next. I will contact my travel agent next week to see if this is the case.

Did Celebrity respond to an email that you sent them, or did they just email you with the information? I cancelled a December cruise on which I had paid a substantial amount on March 16. I emailed Celebrity on April 9 and have not received a response.  I did talk to a Celebrity agent on April 14 and he could see that my refunds were set up and should go out in 10 business days.  I made their life difficult by using various credit cards and monthly payments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Did Celebrity respond to an email that you sent them, or did they just email you with the information? I cancelled a December cruise on which I had paid a substantial amount on March 16. I emailed Celebrity on April 9 and have not received a response.  I did talk to a Celebrity agent on April 14 and he could see that my refunds were set up and should go out in 10 business days.  I made their life difficult by using various credit cards and monthly payments.

They responded to an enquiry I sent the previous day

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mnocket said:

 

Wow, I never considered this wrinkle.  So if your TA should go out of business because no one is traveling and the next 12 months look bleak, they may pocket your refund and file for bankruptcy without returning it to you?  I hadn't consider that additional risk.

I am not in the UK, but I have noticed a few comments from Over There. Good news, bad news in the different approach they have to travel booking, travel agents, etc. Bad news - if you book a cruise, air passage, whatever then you will pay the price you booked for. If the price later drops, no matter, you get the price you booked. You can cancel, but you lose a hefty deposit. Good news - if your travel agency goes bankrupt, then the government steps in and makes you whole.

 

Correct?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a standard "we're currently reviewing your claim" letter from BofA today. When we filed the claim we were told we would also receive questions to fill out, along with a request to provide additional documents. This letter made no such mention of additional questions, nor a request for additional documents needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I am not in the UK, but I have noticed a few comments from Over There. Good news, bad news in the different approach they have to travel booking, travel agents, etc. Bad news - if you book a cruise, air passage, whatever then you will pay the price you booked for. If the price later drops, no matter, you get the price you booked. You can cancel, but you lose a hefty deposit. Good news - if your travel agency goes bankrupt, then the government steps in and makes you whole.

 

Correct?

 

 

That's how I understand it.  I was actually thinking about US customers who use a TA.  Perhaps this doesn't apply to them?  Do refunds for US customers go through their TA or are they sent directly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • CCHelp changed the title to Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...