Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Argo.

Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Recommended Posts

Feb 15 Millenium sailing - Received Airfare credit over a month ago for supplemental charges - Received 50% FCC a month ago - Still waiting on refund - Spoke with Celebrity yesterday - April 6 Refund was "processed" - Since then there has been no action and its awaiting accountings backlog - Was told it could take an additional 30 days...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On March 27 I cancelled our cruise scheduled for November of 2020.

Yesterday I received a complete refund of the $900 deposit.

Took 28 days.

Thank you Celebrity!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On March 16 I cancelled a December cruise. All of the payments $11,000+ have been refunded.  Most were on the BOA Celebrity Visa.  Called this morning and will have the money deposited into our checking account in 2 - 5 business days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hopefully will get a large refund sometime in May.  My question is that it will go to my credit card and  I want the cash.  How can I get the refund transferred to my bank account without fees, or minimum fees. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure each bank has different rules. Some will only mail a check others, like BOA, offered direct deposit into our checking account, which is not a BOA account. I looked at doing it on line and saw fees associated with a transfer but I think that was for a cash advance, not a refund of a credit balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cucruising55 said:

I hopefully will get a large refund sometime in May.  My question is that it will go to my credit card and  I want the cash.  How can I get the refund transferred to my bank account without fees, or minimum fees. Thanks

Check with your bank for their rules.

in Canada,  with my RBC credit card, when you have a credit balance on your credit card, there is no fees for cash

advance because you don’t owe them anything. Be sure to ask !

 

good news I , received my $900 back yesterday from a booking I cancelled mid March.

thank you Celebrity!

brockmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were stuck in Fort Lauderdale (from Southern California) for the March 14th cruise on the Equinox.  I requested a refund on March 16th.  Checked my credit card this morning, and the refund for everything except the airfare booked through Celebrity was on my card.  Yippee!

 

Hopefully I'll see the airfare refund soon but at least the majority is back on my card.  It was exactly 30 business days from when I submitted my request.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 5:41 AM, Argo. said:

IT HAPPENED... MONEY deposited on our credit card was backdated to April 20 from our March 7th cruise refund.  Now if I could only turn the clock back 8 yrs I could even book a cruise again.

 

HI ARGO, CAN YOU HELP ME.  I HAVE HAD THE "RUN AROUND"  GETTING OUR 25% REFUND FOR THE SILHOUETTE CRUISE ON MAR 6TH.   WHO DID YOU CONTACT/FILE WITH?   APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME.   THANKS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone posted a question on another board asking people from the first group of Celebrity cancelled cruises if anyone has gotten their refund yet. There were more than 50 responses, some directly answering the question and some mentioning other circumstances.  The bottom line of the replies - NOT ONE PERSON who was in the group of the first cancelled cruises has gotten a refund yet.  Those who just cancelled a cruise with a deposit only are getting refunds in about a month.  Some who asked for FCC have gotten theirs and some not.

 

So what is wrong with this picture!  I keep hearing be patient, they are backed up, etc..., etc...  But common sense tells me, even if they are backed up (which of course they are)  they obviously are NOT prioritizing at all the people due refunds.  They are prioritizing refunding deposits, and of course booking future cruises.  If it was just a matter of first come; first served, or of handling refunds based on sailing date, some of these people would have received their refunds by now.  Those of us with thousands of dollars invested in now cancelled cruises are being pushed to the bottom of the pile.  I could live with, and understand, if it was taking awhile but it was truly a first come; first served type of thing.  but obviously it is not.  I am tired of being used and I am tired of being lied to.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BridgeMates said:

 

HI ARGO, CAN YOU HELP ME.  I HAVE HAD THE "RUN AROUND"  GETTING OUR 25% REFUND FOR THE SILHOUETTE CRUISE ON MAR 6TH.   WHO DID YOU CONTACT/FILE WITH?   APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME.   THANKS!

Because we deal with a Canadian Credit Card company, our transactions seem to take place in Paris and that was the origin of our posting back to our credit card. 

However when I emailed Celebrity several weeks ago, at "CelebrityEngagementCenter@celebrity.com"  about our refund, the response we received was:

"Thank you for contacting us.

In reference to your bookings , since you are booked through (a travel agency) and this is a financial question , you will have to go through your travel agency. I regret we are unable to assist you with your inquiry. Upon request, your travel agent can access any specific booking information for you.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call our Engagement Center at US & CAN: 844-418-6824.

Sincerely,


Michelle Duizendstraal
Celebrity Cruises

 

I then forwarded this to our travel agency as well as a copy of the emails that I had previously sent.  Friends who deal with the same agency, also living in Canada, received their funds as well from their canceled cruises on the same date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our full refund was processed. I contacted X on 3/15 after our cruises were canceled. I found out from a manager at corporate that X (accounting) works on refunds during the week by entering into the system. Then ALL refunds are pushed out to the banks each Sunday.
 

We had used an Amex for the initial deposit. That credit hit first thing Monday morning and the remainder was posted last night on our Visa. Amazing that it took that much longer from Visa compared to Amex . On a recent call with Visa, they told me anywhere from three to thirty days to process from the time received from the merchant. I was told that the number of refunds being processed by credit card companies right now worldwide is through the roof. Some are just better than others.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MermaidMom said:

We were stuck in Fort Lauderdale (from Southern California) for the March 14th cruise on the Equinox.  I requested a refund on March 16th.  Checked my credit card this morning, and the refund for everything except the airfare booked through Celebrity was on my card.  Yippee!

 

Hopefully I'll see the airfare refund soon but at least the majority is back on my card.  It was exactly 30 business days from when I submitted my request.

You're lucky🍹.  It has been 42 days for me and still waiting....no refunds yet.  😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

But, in this example (refundable deposit only, before final payment), why can't it be an automated refund directly to the same credit card as soon as the agent on the phone (for example) clicks "cancel".

 

Presumably,  the stateroom is released immediately (so someone else can book it), so why can't the refund be done?

 

The simple answer is "because that's not the way Celebrity is set up." Their refund process works quickly and efficiently under normal conditions but was never designed with today's volume in mind. What you are suggesting would entail a good amount of work by their IT group and a lot of testing before it could be rolled out. From what I've observed from comments on CC over the years, Celebrity seems to be working with a number of independent computer systems that don't play well together, if at all, as each designed for the individual needs a particular work group. Quite frankly, even if Celebrity decided that it would be a good thing to give away money more quickly, which they won't, they aren't going to spend a lot of time, money and effort to implement a system that would probably not be needed by time it's up and running. I have another cruise that I'm thinking of cancelling before final payment that has a refundable deposit. I know it will take time to hit my credit card, but I'd prefer to see it processed in the usual way rather than in some new automated system that the infamous IT group is still trying to get the bugs out of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We FINALLY received a refund today.....but not all of it 😡. Our cruise was scheduled for March 14 and cancelled the evening of March 13. I requested the refund on March 14. My credit card was finally credited today. Took 42 days, BUT I was shorted $1100+. Not sure why. We booked on board and paid a $400 refundable deposit (2 cabins) so it’s not the deposit. Also checked our receipt and wasn’t taxes and port fees either. The refund didn’t come in a lump sum. It was 7 lines with 7 different amounts. Can’t figure out for the life of me what it is. It’s $555+ for each cabin. I do have a call into my TA. Hopefully she can shed some light on this. If it was a few bucks I probably wouldn’t care, but $1100+ is way to much to forget about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I received a full refund to my X Visa card for the March 30 Coastal sailing of Eclipse, which was cancelled by Celebrity on March 13.  I requested the refund on the 14th.

 

Sadly, as I look out my window this morning I see Eclipse still here in San Diego, docked next to Disney Wonder. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I just read the last few responses.  I received the AMEX refund of $400 for MoveUp offer accepted on Monday.  Talked with them and moved some of the funds from my AMEX Optima card to my Green card to pay off that balance.  Two other charges were on USAA Visa cards.  Full fare on one, pre-paid internet on the other.  Checked earlier and nothing.  Even talked with USAA yesterday about pending credits...nothing.  Just now checked, and both amounts are on the cards.  So my X cruise book is closed.  EM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ddr said:

Today I received a full refund to my X Visa card for the March 30 Coastal sailing of Eclipse, which was cancelled by Celebrity on March 13.  I requested the refund on the 14th.

 

Sadly, as I look out my window this morning I see Eclipse still here in San Diego, docked next to Disney Wonder. 

 

 

Thanks for your update.  We were on the same cruise and requested refund on same date, but nothing yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on there also and I was told more than a week ago that our refund was being processed.  We received the full refund for the cruise before this, Mar 15 - 30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Glad I just read the last few responses.  I received the AMEX refund of $400 for MoveUp offer accepted on Monday.  Talked with them and moved some of the funds from my AMEX Optima card to my Green card to pay off that balance.  Two other charges were on USAA Visa cards.  Full fare on one, pre-paid internet on the other.  Checked earlier and nothing.  Even talked with USAA yesterday about pending credits...nothing.  Just now checked, and both amounts are on the cards.  So my X cruise book is closed.  EM


Your situation mirrors ours exactly. As I stated above, I was told that ALL refunds are pushed out on each Sunday for the week. Our Amex credit hit Monday morning. Visa posted last night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still nothing for my March 29 cruise that I requested the refund for on March 16.  Maybe tomorrow will be the magic Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

We FINALLY received a refund today.....but not all of it 😡. Our cruise was scheduled for March 14 and cancelled the evening of March 13. I requested the refund on March 14. My credit card was finally credited today. Took 42 days, BUT I was shorted $1100+. Not sure why. We booked on board and paid a $400 refundable deposit (2 cabins) so it’s not the deposit. Also checked our receipt and wasn’t taxes and port fees either. The refund didn’t come in a lump sum. It was 7 lines with 7 different amounts. Can’t figure out for the life of me what it is. It’s $555+ for each cabin. I do have a call into my TA. Hopefully she can shed some light on this. If it was a few bucks I probably wouldn’t care, but $1100+ is way to much to forget about.

I finally got my refund today for the same cruise, although I did ask Chase Visa to get involved, so it might be just coincidence that you, cjcruiser, and I all got reimbursed the same day for the same cruise.

Edited by Suzanne123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, BEAV said:

 

. DOT rules stipulate refunds of airline tickets must be issued within 7 days whether from the airline itself or through an on-line TA (Flights by Celebrity). 

 

Can you tell me where I can find this stipulation?

Our cruise was canceled on March 14, I contacted choice air immediately and have followed up several times. I was told 7-10 days now they’re saying call again if no refund by May 8.

Thanks 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Argo. said:

Because we deal with a Canadian Credit Card company, our transactions seem to take place in Paris and that was the origin of our posting back to our credit card. 

However when I emailed Celebrity several weeks ago, at "CelebrityEngagementCenter@celebrity.com"  about our refund, the response we received was:

"Thank you for contacting us.

In reference to your bookings , since you are booked through (a travel agency) and this is a financial question , you will have to go through your travel agency. I regret we are unable to assist you with your inquiry. Upon request, your travel agent can access any specific booking information for you.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call our Engagement Center at US & CAN: 844-418-6824.

Sincerely,


Michelle Duizendstraal
Celebrity Cruises

 

I then forwarded this to our travel agency as well as a copy of the emails that I had previously sent.  Friends who deal with the same agency, also living in Canada, received their funds as well from their canceled cruises on the same date.

 

Thank you for the information. Looks like I'll have to go thru the online agency I booked with (starts with a V) and that may be a problem since they are working from home with less people.  I will start again on Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

 

Can you tell me where I can find this stipulation?

Our cruise was canceled on March 14, I contacted choice air immediately and have followed up several times. I was told 7-10 days now they’re saying call again if no refund by May 8.

Thanks 😆

 

Your rights to a refund on a non-refundable ticket in the event the airline cancels your flight:

 

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/refunds

 

But the previous 7 day refund window was modified to the word "promptly" on April 3:

 

Posted April 3, 2020

Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed.  Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

 

 

 

Edited by BEAV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our May cruise to Alaska was cancelled by Celebrity on 3/24.  Up until yesterday the cruise still showed as active on my Celebrity account.  Today, I got an email cancelling all of our cruise planner purchases... although we got no refund because they were all paid for with OBC.  The cruise is no longer showing on my Celebrity account.  Hopefully this means that our requested refund is in the works... lol... not holding my breath, but it's a step in the right direction!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...