Cruise Critic App is back but some issues

Nice to have the app back but for now, the bugs still render it not usable for me (Android version).

The biggest problem is that the threads don't update after a while. On install, they appear up to date, but after a while (few hours to perhaps one day) the "participated" threads don't update any more. They are currently showing stuff that's current as of 3 days ago, when I last reinstalled the app. The little wheel keeps spinning like it *trying* to update, but it never does.

Screenshot added. See how the topmost thread has a 3 day old reply? I've posted plenty more since then and it won't update.

Screenshot_20200401-065738.thumb.jpg.d91a5201d4cc6a90697ca4e262e94557.jpg&key=61aa18b93f1f2d2dd61e0650629adb7ffc86b4b193b7c400759252ecbebedc60

So I'd love to have the app back, when it's functioning properly. Don't want to keep uninstalling/reinstalling just to force the thread list to update.

I have not had that bug using the iOS version of the Cruise Critic app. I have been using the app for all my reading and posting since the app came back. All in all the iOS bugs have been minor.

I see from the screenshot that the Android version has a different layout and I don’t see an ad. The layout is sort of upside down from the iOS version. I would post a screenshot but there is a big Facebook ad in the stream. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Using Android version on Samsung Galaxy S10. Originally got in and was able to see the threads I was subscribed to. After a day, these disappeared and i was unable to get to any content at all. Tried deleting and reinstalling, then could not even log in, even though able to get into web version just fine [I am able to post after all]. Seems like the Apple version works but the Android version does not. 

I'm one of those people who always logs out of my accounts when I'm not using them. Just my preference. I've noticed that, since its return, we cannot completely log out of the app. I'll show you what I mean and what I'm seeing.

After installing the app and opening it for the first time, this is the first page we see. It is basically just a smaller, mobile version of the boards homepage as if viewed from a web browser:

uc?export=download&id=1BNfSst8g8gyvxZh6jj62ffMPpIOV8NMH

But notice that there are two separate menus to click (marked with red arrows). One on the right and the other in the upper left. I'm pretty sure this is why we can't log out completely, and I'll get to that.

When you click on the right menu, you get this:

uc?export=download&id=1Zf7G4ddK9W1YSg2M_3nfVWaWroK81ilz

Tapping on "Existing user? Sign In" gives us one method to log in.

If you tap on the menu icon in the upper left, you get a different menu:

uc?export=download&id=1TaGJm1bwoiBeV5BNUgKO7LloMHoLreSq

Notice another "Log In" option at the bottom of that menu.

When we log in, we are then taken to a different format, which I'd say is the actual app format instead of the browser format.

uc?export=download&id=1NP3Pa8wNYst6q9jOoRqzxdIK4nemKYxp

Opening the menu in the top right corner, we get this:

uc?export=download&id=16wica55qUNvNOh8F2vdDznt6jHeGY0nM

Tapping "Sign Out" does log me out (sort of), and if I tap on the menu again, I see this:

uc?export=download&id=1W_l_GCU86e_cHcJuPgTVEN8-Bs0Ea33A

It appears to be logged out, but if I tap "Log In," I get a split-second image of the very first page (the browser homepage from my first screenshot), the log in box appears for a second or two, then it goes away and I'm automatically logged back in. I don't think it's saving my log in info. I think I'm never actually being fully logged out to begin with. I suspect that if I could get back to that very first browser homepage (the first screenshot I posted), I could then log out using the menu in the top left corner.

This is the exact same behavior I used to see when logging in/out of CC using the Tapatalk app. There were two menus and I always had to log out using both of them if I wanted to be completely logged out. The difference with this updated CC app is, we can't get back to that very first browser homepage with two menus. No matter what I try. The only way I can get back to it is by uninstalling/re-installing the app. But once I log in for the first time, the whole process repeats.

Is there a way for the developers to allow us to get back to that first homepage with two menus?

The log in on the upper left is for the Cruise Critic web site. The one on the right is for the forums. You would have to ask the powers to be why they did that. I would delete the cookies as suggested in the previous post. Then if you log back in don’t use the one on the left. Only use the one on the right. I would test this myself but I don’t want to mess up what is working great for me.

I went ahead and signed out. When I went to sign back in I replicated the behavior that Organized Chaos described.

As far as cookies I was going to try deleting them but there are none, no cookies to delete, so I guess either the app is saving the password or the sign out from the server on the app is not functioning. I can’t determine which. Very interesting......

Does not bother me since I prefer it remembering my password and I prefer not having to log in every session. When I used the CC app and Tapatalk in olden times I never logged out. I don’t see the point in logging out. It is not a bank app.

5 hours ago, broberts said:

i believe removing cookies for cruisecritic.com and boards.cruisecritic.com will force a logout. Not sure if the app maintains its own cookies.

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I would delete the cookies as suggested in the previous post.

I'm using an iPhone. There's no way to delete cookies for an individual app like that. You can in mobile browsers.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I went ahead and signed out. When I went to sign back in I replicated the behavior that Organized Chaos described.

Does not bother me since I prefer it remembering my password and I prefer not having to log in every session. When I used the CC app and Tapatalk in olden times I never logged out. I don’t see the point in logging out. It is not a bank app.

I use a computer as my primary method of getting on CC. I only get on using my phone once in a while, so I'd prefer to be able to log out of accounts on my phone.

I use a computer as my primary method of getting on CC. I only get on using my phone once in a while, so I'd prefer to be able to log out of accounts on my phone.   

I am using the phone primarily but I also use the computer sometimes and an iPad sometimes. I leave them all logged in. I don’t have to log out of one to be logged in on all three at the same time. Right now logged in to the boards on my phone on the app and on my computer and iPad on web browsers. (I do think that despite my preference that it is a bug that sign out does not work)  

It is true an app does not use cookies but since the initial log on uses the browser log on page then switches to the app it might be expected to drop a cookie in Safari. It doesn’t though.

On 4/2/2020 at 2:09 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I'm one of those people who always logs out of my accounts when I'm not using them. Just my preference. I've noticed that, since its return, we cannot completely log out of the app. I'll show you what I mean and what I'm seeing.

After installing the app and opening it for the first time, this is the first page we see. It is basically just a smaller, mobile version of the boards homepage as if viewed from a web browser:

But notice that there are two separate menus to click (marked with red arrows). One on the right and the other in the upper left. I'm pretty sure this is why we can't log out completely, and I'll get to that.

When we log in, we are then taken to a different format, which I'd say is the actual app format instead of the browser format.

Tapping "Sign Out" does log me out (sort of), and if I tap on the menu again, I see this:

It appears to be logged out, but if I tap "Log In," I get a split-second image of the very first page (the browser homepage from my first screenshot), the log in box appears for a second or two, then it goes away and I'm automatically logged back in. I don't think it's saving my log in info. I think I'm never actually being fully logged out to begin with. I suspect that if I could get back to that very first browser homepage (the first screenshot I posted), I could then log out using the menu in the top left corner.

This is the exact same behavior I used to see when logging in/out of CC using the Tapatalk app. There were two menus and I always had to log out using both of them if I wanted to be completely logged out. The difference with this updated CC app is, we can't get back to that very first browser homepage with two menus. No matter what I try. The only way I can get back to it is by uninstalling/re-installing the app. But once I log in for the first time, the whole process repeats.

Is there a way for the developers to allow us to get back to that first homepage with two menus?

Are there any new developments on this? Just wondering if it's something the app developers are looking into or if it's a non-issue.

Are there any new developments on this? Just wondering if it's something the app developers are looking into or if it's a non-issue.

The one on the left (on the white bar) is for cruisecritic.com. The one on the right (on the blue bar) is for the boards. But this doesn’t look at all like what I see on my iPhone app!

I have asked this question before, but still not sure I am understanding, what the attraction is in using the app as opposed to the mobile site.  I am not trying to make an argument here, merely trying to understand.  It seems to me that the mobile site does everything that the app does and more.  If there are advantages that I am not aware of, I would love to know.

Thanks.

I have asked this question before, but still not sure I am understanding, what the attraction is in using the app as opposed to the mobile site.  I am not trying to make an argument here, merely trying to understand.  It seems to me that the mobile site does everything that the app does and more.  If there are advantages that I am not aware of, I would love to know.
Thanks.

I don’t have to scroll past an entire screen of choose your cruise information to get to the actual posts.

I didn’t mind the mobile browser, but I have been generally using the app.

The has not been a bug fix app update yet since the new version of the app that brought it back. I would suggest emailing Laura S directly with the question of whether the app programmers are looking into the specific app behavior you are concerned about and whether it is considered an issue. That would be at community@cruisecritic.com.

14 hours ago, gnome12 said:

The one on the left (on the white bar) is for cruisecritic.com. The one on the right (on the blue bar) is for the boards. But this doesn’t look at all like what I see on my iPhone app!

Yeah, that's what someone else said. The problem I'm having is, after I login, the format changes over to an app style format, as opposed to a mobile browser format, and there's no way to get back to that menu for cruisecritic.com. So I'm technically still logged in even though it gives the appearance of being logged out. It's as if we're logged in to CC.com and the boards separately. Logging out of the boards still leaves us logged in to CC.com. It's not a major problem, just my own preference to be completely logged out of accounts when not in use. For the times I do use my phone, I'll probably just go back to using the mobile browser. I like the app because it makes it much easier to upload pictures straight from my Camera Roll. For that, I can go back to using Tapatalk. I'd prefer to return to the CC app after all this time that it's been gone, but if it doesn't function in a way that I like, I'll avoid it.

57 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Thanks.

I don't mind using the mobile browser at all, but using an app, whether it's Tapatalk or the CC app, makes it much easier to upload pictures straight from my phone's Camera Roll. For example, when I was doing a live thread from our cruise last month, and posting pictures, it was a lot easier & faster from the Tapatalk app (the CC app wasn't back at that time).

14 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The has not been a bug fix app update yet since the new version of the app that brought it back. I would suggest emailing Laura S directly with the question of whether the app programmers are looking into the specific app behavior you are concerned about and whether it is considered an issue. That would be at community@cruisecritic.com.

Yeah, I know there hasn't been a new update recently. I was just wondering if this is something they consider a bug worth fixing or if it's a non-issue to them that won't be addressed. It'd just be nice to know either way because if it's a non-issue to them, I know not to wait for a fix. I'll probably just go back to Tapatalk and/or the mobile browser. I guess I'll shoot them an email. Thanks.

8 hours ago, boblerm said:

Thanks.

In [I believe] October 2018, cruise critic did a major overhaul of the web site.  Prior to that, I used the app extensively. My memory is it was a little easier and more convenient to go directly to the app rather than opening a browser and getting to the forums, even if you had it bookmarked.  I loved the old app.  I would probably use the new app except I can't get it to work.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:25 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I don't mind using the mobile browser at all, but using an app, whether it's Tapatalk or the CC app, makes it much easier to upload pictures straight from my phone's Camera Roll. For example, when I was doing a live thread from our cruise last month, and posting pictures, it was a lot easier & faster from the Tapatalk app (the CC app wasn't back at that time).

Do I understand correctly that photos upload faster using the app than using the desktop or mobile site?  If that is the case, that would be a significant advantage when posting from a ship with crappy internet.  (I hope I get the chance to do that!!!!😥)

• Administrators
On 4/2/2020 at 3:09 PM, Organized Chaos said:

As I mentioned in the announcement, there is a small "bug" in logging in/out.  This is inherently due to the way we manage our login on our site and our forums.   If you simply "close out" the site window, you are left with the app forum structure.  Essentially, you'll have to decide whether or not you want to utilize the app in this manner.

Laura

As I mentioned in the announcement, there is a small "bug" in logging in/out.  This is inherently due to the way we manage our login on our site and our forums.   If you simply "close out" the site window, you are left with the app forum structure.  Essentially, you'll have to decide whether or not you want to utilize the app in this manner.

Laura

Thank you for bringing back the app. I use the app almost exclusively as it fits my style. As for the small logging in/out bug that does not bother me as I never log out of Cruise Critic using the app and I never logged out using Cruise Critic with a browser.

7 hours ago, LauraS said:

Laura

Thanks for responding, Laura. I did see the note about the bug on your announcement, but I misunderstood what it was referring to. I'm not sure what you meant by closing out the site window. I don't close anything. When I log in, the website format (as seen in my first image) gets replaced with the app structure, and there's no way to go back to get to that other log out menu. I'm not actually closing anything out myself. But that's neither here nor there. I admit the log in/out issue is a personal hang-up of mine and not something that others might have a problem with. But since being able to completely log out of an account (app) is important to me, unfortunately, I'm going to avoid the resurrected CC app. Thanks again.

8 hours ago, LauraS said:

Ok, I downloaded it again for the third [maybe 4th] time and it still will not allow me to log in at all.   Am I missing something?