Jump to content

When do you think Carnival will cruise again?


Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, HxFx said:

I have a Carnival cruise scheduled for 19 April. I got an email 13 March stating I now have up until 3 days before the cruise to cancel for FCC. I got the email from my TA, should be the same for all.

That might be from your specific TA because they keep sending me daily “let’s get ready for your cruise” emails. What I’m hoping for is if they cancel before that deadline they add OBC to the FCC...like so many others have gotten.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LuckyTheRooster said:

Carnival said April 11th

So I am booked on April 11th

Also had no problem with bookings for April / May 2020 just a few minutes ago

My cancelled cruise was supposed to leave today...

Just watched the video of crew members having fun on the ship 🌞

You’re overly optimistic...... Nothing will be sailing in April or May. Carnival simply wants people to put cash deposits or full payments into their company. They will hold this cash to stay afloat and out of bankruptcy then offer no money back when they cancel, just offering a future cruise credit. This FCC promise isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. Anyone putting cash into Carnival right now for cruises I’m the next three months is simply foolish. They should realize they are being taken. 

Edited by tallnthensome
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I go into my Carnival account, it still shows that I’m sailing in 14 days, April 5, on the cruise they’ve already cancelled. It also allows me to continue to book excursions, etc for my April 11 leg of that booked B2B. In my honest opinion, we will not be sailing on April 11, but if I do not hear anything from them by March 30, I’m cancelling. There is no way that this virus will be contained by then. They expect it to PEAK by mid April, not be over. Anyone booking for April cruises right now with the low rates are delusional. And I suspect those doing so, are of the same delusional age group that they’ve had to clear off the beaches down there in Florida. Totally “head in the sand” group of young people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Medtech2 said:

I’m booked for April 18. Supposedly my deadline to cancel with no penalty is March 31. Although I am hoping Carnival cancels it for me I would bet they cancel it April 1, after the deadline...

I'm booked for Apr 11th, and totally agree with you. That's exactly what they will do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

You’re overly optimistic...... Nothing will be sailing in April or May. Carnival simply wants people to put cash deposits or full payments into their company. They will hold this cash to stay afloat and out of bankruptcy then offer no money back when they cancel, just offering a future cruise credit. This FCC promise isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. Anyone putting cash into Carnival right now for cruises I’m the next three months is simply foolish. They should realize they are being taken. 

 

Totally agree with tallnthensome. 

 

I just got a river cruise vendor to honor their reimbursement offer (at least they seem to be) by the skin of my teeth. They had a reimburse option, but withdrew that and reclassified the cruise the evening after I called them directly to ask for reimbursement. I had what they apparently recorded as a memorable discussion about having to go thru my TA when all of the agency's travel staff got sent home and are on a very skinny rotation due to the virus. And a reminder of whose money it was.

 

Even if I could use the FCC in the window they gave - 2 years is too tight with the rest of my wish list - I was seriously concerned that this company could not survive the virus shutdowns and any return of an FCC would be cents on the dollar.

Edited by sayanne
Clarified travel staff
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 1:12 AM, joeyancho said:

I think the bigger question is,  after all the panic, chaos and turmoil,  who would even get on a cruise ship?   I think it will take years for the cruise industry to recover.  People will start looking at other types of vacations that are not so conducive or renown for spreading disease.  This pandemic is going to have a huge impact on the American psyche that is not going to go away once the ships start sailing again.

 

Agree. People believe and remember what they hear. Latest just adds to distrust and uncertainty.  I predict we will see a contraction of the industry as follows.

 

The biggest, newest ships will continue to sail, but they need will really step up their quality control game.  Some aspects of cruising will change forever and I don't think onboard attitudes will ever be quite as carefree as they once were.  I expect tighter security and closer monitoring of employee and guest conduct.  They will also need to improve their environmental records and employee work condition standards. 

 

Many of the mega-ships currently on order from the shipyards but not yet started will probably be cancelled as demand drops significantly and each line likely has enough large ship capacity to manage whatever is left for the foreseeable future. 

 

Gradual decommissioning of several of the smaller, older ships.  Carnival Fantasy class , Royal Caribbean Empress, Sovereign, and maybe Vision classes, Norwegian Spirit and Sky classes, might be nearing the ends of their runs, especially as port agreements expire. I question whether Carnival will go forward at this time with the planned rebuild of Victory into the Radiance.  

 

If they manage all of this well, and rebuild a stellar safety record over the next several years, they may recover. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am chuckling at the negative posts here, very funny actually. Carnival isn't going anywhere and RCCL and NCL have also had plenty of screw up with the current issue and other issues in the past. Carnival stands out because there huge and they got that way for a reason. I will sail with my family in June if it's possible and I can't wait for the 3 other cruises we have booked through Jan 2022.. I have 23 cruises under my belt and have never been sick other self inflicted drinking the night before. Keep the doom and gloom coming, I need some additional laughter these days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

Always the cheerleader ..... you would push people to book even in times like this even if the fleet was on fire. Things are getting worse, not better so let’s steer people to catch a falling knife ...... I’ve already cancelled my August cruise on another line and feel the same way industry wide. 

Positive...negative??? Which todo, will take positive every day of the week. For the record, we have cancelled more cruises for many clients over the past month than you will ever take, so much for that logic.  Wait....did you say another line😞😪.  Say it ain’t so😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 2:12 AM, joeyancho said:

I think the bigger question is,  after all the panic, chaos and turmoil,  who would even get on a cruise ship?   I think it will take years for the cruise industry to recover.  People will start looking at other types of vacations that are not so conducive or renown for spreading disease.  This pandemic is going to have a huge impact on the American psyche that is not going to go away once the ships start sailing again.

As a 30-year plus cruiser (35 under my belt), I have always enjoyed cruising, but not sure if it will hold the allure for me that it once did.  I also think it's doubtful that cruise lines will ever be able to recover financially from this and worse, there are a lot of people who simply will never cruise again, no matter what incentives are offered.  Here's a question - how excited would anyone be to step foot on the Diamond Princess ever again, no matter how many times it was "sanitized?" I think one of the worst realities that cruisers are now dealing with is the harsh reality unmistakable fact that cruise ships, because of their passenger spaces architecture, can quickly become incubators and petri dishes for communicable diseases.  Not sure of my cruising future, but all of this has certainly given me pause to think it over much more carefully.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HxFx said:

I have a Carnival cruise scheduled for 19 April. I got an email 13 March stating I now have up until 3 days before the cruise to cancel for FCC. I got the email from my TA, should be the same for all.


Thanks for posting that info.  I hope they are right, but feeling more positive about it.  I am holding off on canceling my May 3 cruise, hoping for incentives to rebook.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SemperFi_Cruiser said:

  Here's a question - how excited would anyone be to step foot on the Diamond Princess ever again, no matter how many times it was "sanitized?"

Actually, the Diamond Princess did not "create" this Corona Virus. It has been sanitized. Just like Hospitals that have dying patients.

 

If you want to stay away from places that might have a chance of you being infected by something, then I suggest stay away from all hospitals. Cruise ships are a walk in the park compared to hospitals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SemperFi_Cruiser said:

Well, yeah, of course.  Like norovirus never broke out on the same ship more than once because it was "sanitized."  If you feel comfortable sailing on a vessel that had a previous coronavirus outbreak, then all I have to say to you is "Bon Voyage!"

My chances are better than going to a hospital.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I have decided that we will not be cruising for several years, based on what has already happened and what the medical professionals are saying could happen with the SARS-COV-2 virus over the next few years.  I am over 60 now and have a couple of conditions that put me at additional risk.  The thought of climbing onto a crowded ship or into a long metal tube packed with people in seats at 21” pitch is not my idea of a good time.  We will take car trips next year to all the amazing sites we have not yet covered in the southeast US and have relaxing, stress-free vacations.  Not saying anyone else should have this opinion, it is just how we feel right now.

We have already mentally written off the cost of our NCL Haven Cruise Next certificate we put down for a Rome Med cruise in September.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, outdoors27 said:

I am chuckling at the negative posts here, very funny actually. Carnival isn't going anywhere and RCCL and NCL have also had plenty of screw up with the current issue and other issues in the past. Carnival stands out because there huge and they got that way for a reason. I will sail with my family in June if it's possible and I can't wait for the 3 other cruises we have booked through Jan 2022.. I have 23 cruises under my belt and have never been sick other self inflicted drinking the night before. Keep the doom and gloom coming, I need some additional laughter these days. 

I agree. I have no concerns with taking FCC with the additional incentives. And people will forget, as they should. Everything in life is a risk. Every time you go to a foreign country you risk being exposed to something completely different to your immune system. No one is suggesting international travel be forever banned. Just use reasonable precautions (wash hands, cover coughs, stay home when sick….)

 

I do think every crisis offers some learning points and this will be true for the cruise industry as well. I rarely go to the self-service buffets on a ship because of the germ factor (or any at restaurants really). I am glad to see they are moving away from self-service. Hopefully that will be a permanent change. 

 

Some folks are just happy being negative.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, SemperFi_Cruiser said:

As a 30-year plus cruiser (35 under my belt), I have always enjoyed cruising, but not sure if it will hold the allure for me that it once did.  I also think it's doubtful that cruise lines will ever be able to recover financially from this and worse, there are a lot of people who simply will never cruise again, no matter what incentives are offered.  Here's a question - how excited would anyone be to step foot on the Diamond Princess ever again, no matter how many times it was "sanitized?" I think one of the worst realities that cruisers are now dealing with is the harsh reality unmistakable fact that cruise ships, because of their passenger spaces architecture, can quickly become incubators and petri dishes for communicable diseases.  Not sure of my cruising future, but all of this has certainly given me pause to think it over much more carefully.

I've been on 65 cruises - just off Elation last month and unfortunately it may be my last - at least for a long time.  I have 2 cruises booked - one for June - that definitely isn't going to happen because it involves multiple stops in Canada and another for November.  Both are on Royal and with their current age restrictions/doctors waiver my husband I will not be allowed to cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:


Thanks for posting that info.  I hope they are right, but feeling more positive about it.  I am holding off on canceling my May 3 cruise, hoping for incentives to rebook.  

I'm going to verify that with my TA, make sure it wasn't only meant for those cruising before 31 March. I can't find it on Carnival and it doesn't have my specific cruise date. Here is what it says:

 

"We are currently experiencing an increase in call volume, so you may be waiting longer than usual to speak with your travel professional. In the meantime, we kindly ask that you read the important information below with instructions and next steps in regards to your upcoming travel plans. As you may be aware, COVID-19 has made travel more complicated, causing some guests to rethink their upcoming travel plans. Our cruise line partners continue to implement increased monitoring, screening, and sanitation protocols to protect the health of our guests, crew, and the residents of the destinations we serve. Vacations should be worry free, so Carnival has relaxed their cancellation guidelines to give you more time to decide if this is the right time for you to cruise. If you choose to sail on your originally scheduled sailing date, Carnival will apply an onboard credit to your Sign & Sail account. If you choose to cancel up to 3 days prior to sailing, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit in the amount paid for your cruise. This credit must be used towards a sailing that departs within one year of your original travel date. To make your choice, simply complete the short form at the following link, and we will automatically process your request..."

 

Either way, in the unlikely event the cruise goes forward, we would likely get turned away at the port because my husband has (very well managed) Type 1 Diabetes. We just want to wait for Carnival to cancel so we get better options. I would take the FCC plus $600 OBC they've offered other cruisers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a cruise scheduled for mid June. I'm still holding out hope that we'll be able to go. I wasn't scared to cruise Carnival after their fires and major problems. I won't stop cruising b/c they've had this problem either. But I still hate going into a hospital to visit, tests or anything else... always afraid I'll catch something!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HxFx said:

 

Either way, in the unlikely event the cruise goes forward, we would likely get turned away at the port because my husband has (very well managed) Type 1 Diabetes. We just want to wait for Carnival to cancel so we get better options. I would take the FCC plus $600 OBC they've offered other cruisers.


That is exactly where we stand.  Unfortunately, turned away at the port is not an option for us, as we were supposed to be cruising out of San Juan.  Still going to hold out, surprisingly stress free.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as places where you can pick up a virus, I felt more uncomfortable at the airports than I ever did on my cruise the week before last.  On the ship, they were constantly sanitizing everything.  This included the cabin doors, handrails, and even the balconies.  There was hand sanitizer everywhere and you couldn't even enter the buffet without washing your hands with soap and water.  This cruise was on Harmony of the Seas.

I found out later that an employee at the Atlanta airport and a TSA agent at the Orlando airport tested positive.  I travelled through both of those airports and a TSA agent in Orlando even searched my carry on bag.  He touched everything with gloves, but how many other bags had he searched with those gloves?  I had no concerns whatsoever about the ship.  Anyone who is giving up cruises because of the virus should think about airports too.  Nobody's temperature was taken before entering the airport.  I saw no employees cleaning anything.  Talk about a hotbed for spreading things.

It seems that some medications being used may be a game changer as far as dealing with this virus.  Next year, there will be a vaccine.  Someday, this will be just a memory and life will continue as it always has.  It the medications work, the panic will subside and we can move forward sooner rather than later.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...