P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

From the BBC

"A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: "The priority should be to give as many people in at-risk groups their first dose, rather than providing the required two doses in as short a time as possible."

The report goes on to say that the second dose will be given up to12 weeks after the first dose, rather than the 3 weeks with the Pfizer vaccine. Unpublished data indicates that a longer period between doses increases its efficacy, but I presume that given the current wave of infections,  the more people that can be vaccinated as soon as possible, the better.    

We discussed this approach on here recently - seems for once Blair might have been right!  

Interesting isn’t it?

I think it’s good news in that we will be fully protected from however many hours/days after the initial jab.  Only a short period.  The second jab simply lengthens the time rather than improving the protection

I can envisage lots of gatherings and parties taking place among families and friends

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Interesting isn’t it?

I think it’s good news in that we will be fully protected from however many hours/days*** after the initial jab.  Only a short period.  The second jab simply lengthens the time rather than improving the protection

****Matt Hancock has just said, on Radio4, that the protection is effective 2 weeks from the jab

Whoop de doo

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

****Matt Hancock has just said, on Radio4, that the protection is effective 2 weeks from the jab

Whoop de doo

I very much hope that Matt Hancock, who let us not forget hasn’t always been the most reliable source of information, is correct in this assertion. Until the new evidence that this statement is informed by is made public for other experts to scrutinise, I will not be rejoicing quite as much as some others seem to be. I do hope however, that my greater caution is mis-placed.

• Like 2

Have just spent the last half hour playing catch up as last night I kept getting kicked off the internet.

New Year - we normally stay in anyway and watch the fireworks over St. Ives from our back room. I haven't mad any New Years resolutions but I should loose some weight, I seem to have gained some this last year!!

Good news about the vaccine, something positive at last.

Please may I have some of the nice weather or snow as we have got another dull, depressing, grey day again with rain. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think the last time we deliberately stayed up to see in the new year, was at the millennium, when the firework displays from peoples gardens were new and spectacular.  Since then the fireworks just seem to get more tediously annoying, maybe I am getting too old and grumpy.

John take a look at the Hogmanay 2020 which has been produced by Edinburgh Council to replace the normal fireworks displays and the largest party in the world. 

They have used drones to produce light displays above iconic sites in Scotland and the pictures are set to music and poetry (most of it is in English). It is really clever.

There are 3 films, the first was shown last night

https://www.edinburghshogmanay.com/

Fab news for everyone about the vaccine.

New Year resolutions, I usually tell myself to drink more water - usually fails after a few days!!! Also lose a few pounds as as my clothes are feeling a little snug - also usually fails after a few days. This year I might add in don’t get you hopes up too high that you might get on a cruise ship.....and it feel like normal 

Michelle

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

We stayed up last New Years Eve for the first time in years, but it was worth it watching the fireworks over Hamburg from the deck of Ventura.. 

Seems so long ago... 

Andy 

I cant believe how many of you go to bed! Does nobody arrange parties?

Hogmanay is a big deal here. Between Christmas and new year traditionally the house gets thoroughly cleaned, food bought and any bills paid so you enter the new year with a clean home, a full store cupboard and no debt. Every year (except this one of course) people make or buy food for first foots (shortbread, fruit or cherry cake, black bun, soup, stovies, steak pie etc)

When I was young first footing went on until 12th night, now it is usually just on the 1st and 2nd. The parties were endless and the entertainment usually pretty good as someone usually played an instrument and everyone sang along, or they just sang unaccompanied. Every man woman and child had to be able to do something to entertain and they usually did the same every year and god help anyone who did Aunty Jeanie,s song!

As a family latterly we tended to go away to a Ceildh which was always fun. I still love Ceildh dancing. 

I can honestly say that I have never been in bed and have always welcomed in the new year. Roll on 2021.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I can honestly say that I have never been in bed and have always welcomed in the new year. Roll on 2021.

We always see in the new year and usually have a party with family or friends even if it's a smallish one.

Our son has said he won't bother staying up this year but the rest of us will. Our youngest daughter is planning an evening of board games and I will still prepare a mini party buffet for the four of us ☺️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Hogmanay is a big deal here. Between Christmas and new year traditionally the house gets thoroughly cleaned, food bought and any bills paid so you enter the new year with a clean home, a full store cupboard and no debt. Every year (except this one of course) people make or buy food for first foots (shortbread, fruit or cherry cake, black bun, soup, stovies, steak pie etc)

When I was young first footing went on until 12th night, now it is usually just on the 1st and 2nd. The parties were endless and the entertainment usually pretty good as someone usually played an instrument and everyone sang along, or they just sang unaccompanied. Every man woman and child had to be able to do something to entertain and they usually did the same every year and god help anyone who did Aunty Jeanie,s song!

As a family latterly we tended to go away to a Ceildh which was always fun. I still love Ceildh dancing. 

Maybe being in Scotland and soaking up the Hogmanay atmosphere helps to keep you awake!  My 91 year old friend loves to reminisce about New Year's Eve in Scotland only 3 years ago.  My son and DIL have a party but it is well known that we only make a 'guest appearance' just to see folk, which I do enjoy.  I drink next-to-no alcohol and I suspect I might want to throw myself into the spirit were that not the case 😁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

You little party animal you ! :classic_love:

My Dads side of our family are from Scotland and was a big thing in our house 

and as a kid growing up my parents always got me out of bed just before Midnight 

on New Years Eve and gave me a beer shandy and a New penny and a bit of Andy Stewart 

on the telly to see in the year .

Later in my teens we would go first footing around the village with a lumps of coal that made

us a small fortune .The drunk ladies would hug us and kiss us to death ,whilst the men who 

were blotto would stuff  old ten bob notes and even pound notes in our hands .

Married life we just had a few cans in and watched the TV and we also got our kids up

to see in the New Year . 

Later in life we discovered cruising and one of my favourites was the New Year cruise

on the river Seine, where we would drink loads of beer and let in the French New Year.

Then as the ship crossed the channel ,we would be just in time to let the UK New Year in ,

Which meant  we would drink loads of beer (again )and let in our  New Year as it would have 

been very rude not to .:classic_unsure:

Now I am not allowed to drink beers etc , I will still see in the New Year , just the two of us 

Mrs Kalos with her Martini spumante and me with my glass of cranberry juice ..

We will say  "Hello 2021 .. nice to meet you and be kind to us " :classic_smile:

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Maybe being in Scotland and soaking up the Hogmanay atmosphere helps to keep you awake!  My 91 year old friend loves to reminisce about New Year's Eve in Scotland only 3 years ago.  My son and DIL have a party but it is well known that we only make a 'guest appearance' just to see folk, which I do enjoy.  I drink next-to-no alcohol and I suspect I might want to throw myself into the spirit were that not the case 😁

I don’t think people drink as much as they used to a few decades ago. Many don’t drink now as someone has to drive and others are now more aware of the health implications.

I can dance the night away (at my pace) on a fresh orange and usually feel better for it the next morning (except for the aching hips, back, knees and the bruises on my arm from the Dashing White Sargent ).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

You little party animal you ! :classic_love:

My Dads side of our family are from Scotland and was a big thing in our house 

and as a kid growing up my parents always got me out of bed just before Midnight 

on New Years Eve and gave me a beer shandy and a New penny and a bit of Andy Stewart 

on the telly to see in the year .

Later in my teens we would go first footing around the village with a lumps of coal that made

us a small fortune .The drunk ladies would hug us and kiss us to death ,whilst the men who 

were blotto would stuff  old ten bob notes and even pound notes in our hands .

Married life we just had a few cans in and watched the TV and we also got our kids up

to see in the New Year . 

Later in life we discovered cruising and one of my favourites was the New Year cruise

on the river Seine, where we would drink loads of beer and let in the French New Year.

Then as the ship crossed the channel ,we would be just in time to let the UK New Year in ,

Which meant  we would drink loads of beer (again )and let in our  New Year as it would have 

been very rude not to .:classic_unsure:

Now I am not allowed to drink beers etc , I will still see in the New Year , just the two of us 

Mrs Kalos with her Martini spumante and me with my glass of cranberry juice ..

We will say  "Hello 2021 .. nice to meet you and be kind to us " :classic_smile:

My late mam's family were Welsh and white  South African.

My late dad's family was Italian.

Like you I probably won't have any alcohol just plenty of strong coffee.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I very much hope that Matt Hancock, who let us not forget hasn’t always been the most reliable source of information, is correct in this assertion. Until the new evidence that this statement is informed by is made public for other experts to scrutinise, I will not be rejoicing quite as much as some others seem to be. I do hope however, that my greater caution is mis-placed.

I imagine Matty will just be repeating what he has been told by the experts, so unless he is mangling the info it should be reliable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I will continue to rejoice. His information comes from experts. I don't have the expertise to analyse every word to find an   ah,but.  so will bow to your greater knowledge on this subject.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Have just spent the last half hour playing catch up as last night I kept getting kicked off the internet.

New Year - we normally stay in anyway and watch the fireworks over St. Ives from our back room. I haven't mad any New Years resolutions but I should loose some weight, I seem to have gained some this last year!!

Good news about the vaccine, something positive at last.

Please may I have some of the nice weather or snow as we have got another dull, depressing, grey day again with rain. 

We were in At Ives for a week in August. I believe the weight gain is due to the pasties, ice cream, beer, cider. ............🤣

• Like 1

Morning everyone, another beautiful snowy day here - just freezing cold! Off out to dare M&S Foodhall this morning. Had got slots for Monday and Tuesday and had to cancel them due to the weather, so we should be ok today. Thinking of getting something nice for New Year's Eve Meal. It may not be the hotel we normally go to but we can try our best to celebrate the end of this year. Then again, we are still well and healthy (as are our friends and family ... and pets (!)) so we do actually have lots to be grateful for.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

-1 C here this morning.

There is a light dusting of snow on top of ice.

We stopped in yesterday and will stop in again today.

We will have a quiet new year's eve just the 2 of us watching TV.

Screenshot_20201230_095407_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

We will celebrate the vaccine today. McDonalds drive through for lunch, then watch that nice Mr Handcock on telly .

• Like 1