P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Hope everyone is well.

It is 13 years today since Pauline's lovely dad died.

We went to see the book of remembrance at the Crematorium first thing then I took Pauline to Lake Windermere to cheer her up.

We had a lovely meal at a hotel overlooking Lake Windermere then had a walk around Bowness before going home.

Graham.

IMG_20210729_123635.jpg

IMG_20210729_121259.jpg

IMG_20210729_120846.jpg

IMG_20210729_142114.jpg

IMG_20210729_141920.jpg

I wish I was back there Graham! We had a lovely holiday there, looks like November here today 😔

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

The roads are very busy here too.  We took the bus

Busy day beside the seaside, though it appeared that the eateries etc were quieter.  I wonder if that is due to families picnicking on the beach mid-day and having their main meal in their accommodation later.  It would be an expensive business eating out with a family every day.

There are still places which can’t find enough staff to operate 7 days a week.  It seems ridiculous that places are closed a couple of days a week in the height of the season

Anyway, it was a lovely summer day, warm but airy.  None of that thundery oppression 

162AD6F0-533C-4303-B3E4-115CAD1D0C54.thumb.jpeg.63b162cb5c69f0fb5c6c45b156241fac.jpeg

Good point Eddie, when we were in the Lake District we found eating out not very cheap at all! Last time I holidayed in the Uk we’d find lots of little  places really reasonably priced! No chains up there either so I thought we’d find some cheaper places. We ate in our apartment quite a bit.

Good morning hope everyone's ok on this damp and dull morning . I bet it's a bit 

bouncy and breezy on the Britannia cruise this morning :classic_unsure:

I think we are all like Sue wishing we were somewhere else and nice . I was once told 

by an old lady that " Kiss the seagull and your dreams come true ":classic_ohmy:  Really !!

When was the last time anyone kissed a seagull ??:classic_unsure:

Have a nice weekend and stay safe :classic_love:

Snog a seagull anyone  ?   https://youtu.be/0y3G2JKjl_E?t=41

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Good point Eddie, when we were in the Lake District we found eating out not very cheap at all! Last time I holidayed in the Uk we’d find lots of little  places really reasonably priced! No chains up there either so I thought we’d find some cheaper places. We ate in our apartment quite a bit.

Yes the cost of eating out has become ridiculous but you can see why. With staff shortages everywhere they have to pay more to attract and retain properly trained staff.

Everywhere we have been recently there have been vacancy signs  - chefs, wait staff, housekeeping, bar staff, kitchen porters etc. 

The problem in this country is that this type of work is now looked down on (not chefs so much but other hotel and restaurant trades) and seen as something people do until they get a “proper” job. In Europe being service staff is seen as a perfectly legitimate career choice. Here we worship academia so youngsters go to uni, get a sometimes quite useless degree they will never use, run up student debt and end up behind a bar or waiting tables anyway but with no training for the job and resentful that it is all they can get.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

With staff shortages everywhere they have to pay more to attract and retain properly trained staff

And of course, many catering staff returned to their European homes during lockdown, and can now not return to the UK. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 10:12 PM, Harry Peterson said:

And that's one of the key problems.  Those advised not to go out for health/age reasons have no real option but to shop online, but it's almost impossible to get a slot,  and if you do chances are half the stuff won't turn up because the shelves were stripped before the pickers got to them.

One solution would be to give priority to those who really have no other option, but that would involve quite an outcry from the ones pushed to the bottom of the queue. 

Had our Tesco delivery this morning, everything we ordered came, no substitutions, although when I finalised the order yesterday there were a lot of items not currently available, mainly fresh produce, but we get much of ours from local farm shop so not an issue. We have managed to book slots throughout I was sometimes at the height of the pandemic online at midnight when the slots were release to ensure I got one, not that bad currently, plus we have a couple of backup options if can’t get one.

We also an “essentials cupboard” in which we keep at least 2 weeks store of non perishable essential items such as rice, pasta, tinned foodstuffs, tea, coffee etc. 

My years of being involved in IT disaster planning at work & when I was a councillor haven’t left me! 

• Like 2

We’ve just braved Bluewater shopping centre, the first time we’ve been since restrictions were lifted. It was horribly busy. We only stayed an hour, even my husband said he felt worried by so many people getting too close & not wearing masks, although ‘people’ wasn’t the term he used 🥴

Its our 33rd Wedding Anniversary today so once we’ve taken our little Grandson home later we’re going to order an Indian takeaway, have been looking forward to that all week 😊

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We’ve just braved Bluewater shopping centre, the first time we’ve been since restrictions were lifted. It was horribly busy. We only stayed an hour, even my husband said he felt worried by so many people getting too close & not wearing masks, although ‘people’ wasn’t the term he used 🥴

Its our 33rd Wedding Anniversary today so once we’ve taken our little Grandson home later we’re going to order an Indian takeaway, have been looking forward to that all week 😊

61c0783bc2559bbe47d433b1bf2dd0d9.gif.98e7f63665dd386fdf5d037efc85a412.gif 

Have a great meal and here's to your next 33 years :classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Happy anniversary to you both.

Bluewater sounds far too crowded but I suppose a combination of wet weather, school holidays and a Friday meant more people than usual.

Enjoy your Indian takeaway.

Gill x

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Very best wishes to you both.

Happy 33rd wedding anniversary today Sarah.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Happy anniversary. We went into town today. A lot less masks being used.😷

• Like 1

Congratulations and enjoy your takeaway 🍜🍷

• Like 1

Happy Anniversary to you both

Michelle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

It has been 16°C and intermittent rain most of today.

We had lunch in the conservatory of a nice hotel overlooking lovely gardens.

Stay safe everyone 😷.

Graham.

IMG_20210730_120528.jpg

IMG_20210730_121906.jpg

Looks lovely!  
We have just been out for afternoon tea with my mum for her 87th birthday

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Michelle.

Sending your dear mam our Birthday wishes and hopefully many more.

Graham.

Thanks Graham. She is fighting fit for her age so fingers crossed she has more birthday’s ahead

Michelle

• Like 1