P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is currently sunny and 22°F here.

Pleased to read 1 of our local beaches at South Shields was voted number 1 in Britain by the 

Sunday Times 

IMG_20210723_171310.jpg

Spent many a happy holiday at a caravan in South Shields when I was young. The beach is great and we also loved Arbeia, always been interested in history.

There used to be a great department store there, Bins if I remember correctly. I also remember some sort of funny bread roll which was delicious, only ever saw it in the north east of England.

Any idea what the roll was / is.

• Thanks 1

Currently 29C here, but now cloudy, just received an Amber Extreme Heat warning for Sunday with temps expected to be in low 30s. A number of meteorologists are predicting that the U.K. highest temperature could well be snaked next week, currently 38.7C, it is predicted it could reach low 40s especially in South and East of England.

Think I will go and buy a fridge to sit in!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Spent many a happy holiday at a caravan in South Shields when I was young. The beach is great and we also loved Arbeia, always been interested in history.

There used to be a great department store there, Bins if I remember correctly. I also remember some sort of funny bread roll which was delicious, only ever saw it in the north east of England.

Gregg's baker's Stottie.

Binns department store has gone now.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220711_155412.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Currently 29C here, but now cloudy, just received an Amber Extreme Heat warning for Sunday with temps expected to be in low 30s. A number of meteorologists are predicting that the U.K. highest temperature could well be snaked next week, currently 38.7C, it is predicted it could reach low 40s especially in South and East of England.

Think I will go and buy a fridge to sit in!

Or come North. Our forecast is a high of 21 on Sunday (with a low of 13).

All joking aside people need to take care in extreme heat like that. We are not used to it and don’t have air conditioning. Fans don’t cut it in that kind of heat.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Gregg's baker's Stottie.

Binns department store has gone now.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220711_155412.jpg

That’s the one, lovely with cheese and onion. A fond memory of my youth. 

Even Jenners has gone now so I’m not surprised, most department stores up here are closed with the one or two exceptions.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Even Jenners has gone now so I’m not surprised, most department stores up here are closed with the one or two exceptions.

Gregg's baker's are all over the UK now.

Usually they use the Stotties for making sandwiches but some stores sell them in packs of 2.

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Gregg's baker's are all over the UK now.

Usually they use the Stotties for making sandwiches but some stores sell them in packs of 2.

I’ve never seen stotties up here but I will ask the next time we are in a town with a Greggs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Same here, I really miss Debenhams in Exeter.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Same here, I really miss Debenhams in Exeter.

Debehams gone, some of the John Lewis, Jenners, McEwans in Perth, most House of Frasers.

All we seem to have left now is Harvey Nichols in Edinburgh, House of Bruar and Lewis in Glasgow.

Edited by Eglesbrech
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Blame on line shopping. But it is sometimes the only reason I leave the house, plus often the stuff you get does not resemble the picture on line! 

I have given up on buying clothes online. They never look anything like the pictures and are usually poorly made and far too small. I like to see what I am buying ( yes I am old fogey).

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Eglesbrech - there was a Binns Department Store in Princes Street - I think it was where the west end Frasers was.  Now a whisky place I think.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Eglesbrech - there was a Binns Department Store in Princes Street - I think it was where the west end Frasers was.  Now a whisky place I think.

I remember the Frasers but not Binns but I was not in Edinburgh that often back then. Yes now the Jonney Walker experience

Eglesbrech - why does your avatar/profile pic have a little line drawing of a cruise liner on it, plus the word “rare” overlaid across the top?

I’m not seeing things but I hope everyone can see - not like those blimmin rockets a while back 🙂

In other news

… hot, innit?

85F2D99B-4201-4A39-87DC-D1E1241D94AB.thumb.jpeg.c3f056a14f169d7a27a7aa63d864bf60.jpeg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

Eglesbrech - why does your avatar/profile pic have a little line drawing of a cruise liner on it, plus the word “rare” overlaid across the top?

I’m not seeing things but I hope everyone can see - not like those blimmin rockets a while back 🙂

In other news

… hot, innit?

Cruise critic added it after I did a couple of live blogs whilst on board ships. I got an email to tell me what it was and why.

There are folks across the boards with it. “Rare” because apparently only about 200 so far.

• Like 1

Thanks!

It might be the live blog - I recall Vamps having the “rare” endorsement (and thinking it was a bit rude - not everyone has time to post every day) and that probably coincided with her on-board blog.

Congratulations on being rare - hope you don’t mind interacting with us common types! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having a few very ordinary days (apart from the temperature). Out for a meal with friends last Thursday evening but since then, ventured out for food shopping and a few other odds and ends. It has been 29⁰ here the last two days and writing this just after 9pm, it is still 26⁰. Best do some garden-watering before it gets dark.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Thanks!

It might be the live blog - I recall Vamps having the “rare” endorsement (and thinking it was a bit rude - not everyone has time to post every day) and that probably coincided with her on-board blog.

Congratulations on being rare - hope you don’t mind interacting with us common types! 🤣

Just practice your bowing and scraping 😀

• Haha 5

Been at work all day and then had to wait for the train which was late. I had asked hubby to met meet me at the station where I need to change trains so I didn't have to wait for over 20 minutes for a connection, good job I did as I would have missed the connection and still been waiting.

To continue with the beach pictures here a few that I took today. The first was taken from near work - do you know were Zapp?

20220711_134400.jpg

20220709_170803.jpg

20220709_171328.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Thanks!

I feel jealous. I was once a rocket. Nothing now. 🚀🚀🚀

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, purplesea said:

Been at work all day and then had to wait for the train which was late. I had asked hubby to met meet me at the station where I need to change trains so I didn't have to wait for over 20 minutes for a connection, good job I did as I would have missed the connection and still been waiting.

To continue with the beach pictures here a few that I took today. The first was taken from near work - do you know were Zapp?

20220711_134400.jpg

20220709_170803.jpg

20220709_171328.jpg

We had coffee in that very beach a few weeks ago. Did my friend tell you he's missing me already.? I bet you can't guess where this one is 🤣

20140622_174518.jpg

Edited by zap99
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2